buying video games and not playing them at all or until months later.

Thewitcher2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thewitcher2015
Member since 2015 • 41 Posts

Do any of you guys have a really bad habit of buying video games and not playing them at all? or if you do months later after you bought them? or you start a game then never finish it and just keep buying new games and always leave them half way without beating them? I have a really bad habit of doing that it's like I'm more into just buying games then actually playing them I hate that feeling I just feel like I'm wasting my money. I do play and beat some games that I buy but I have quite a lot of unopened games or games that I start and never finish.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yup. I do that all the time. Not just months; very often years. I've only just completed Doom 2016 this year, for example. Reason why I have such a massive backlog.

I consider it a variation of the old "attention defici- ooh shiny!" disorder.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38855 Posts

Never. If i buy something, its usually a game i want to play the same day i purchased it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Yes I do. Big time

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Yep, but mostly from Steam sales. I rarely buy Day 1 anymore.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58925 Posts

Oh yea man, spam buy stuff on Steam, sit for years.

Typically, ignore them and play "comfy" games.

Stupid, to be sure.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Yeah classic games if they are on sale definitely, my back catalog is big on steam and play station even though my pc got damaged and i still need to build a new one just didn’t get the time with all the covid crap and overtime at work, right now Iam playing jak and daxter and its fantastic

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Yes, cuz I'm an idiot.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44145 Posts

Yep. Got games going back to the Wii that I haven’t yet played or played very little of. Not because I don’t want to play them any more it’s just because I keep getting sidetracked with other games.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

Yes, all the time. I bought TLOU2 on launch & still haven't put it in my PS4 or PS5...lol.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I think the majority of adults do this. We see games we like, buy them but other priorities take over. Or we see games on sale, buy them and play them months later.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It’s called “backlog.” And yes, it’s a disease.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AcidTango  Online
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Sadly yes. Some times I buy a lot of games and I don't end up playing them for months, even years. Usually I buy games when they go on sale for super cheap so at least I don't feel like that I wasted a lot of money but it's still not good to do that.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

Yup, I do the same. I am ashamed of myself

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

When Steam has big sales, I usually end up buying most my games. It'll take me a while to play through them, especially since I don't play the ones I buy immediately or back to back. I still have other stuff I already own that I enjoy playing. But they are games I'll get around to eventually, and when I get around to playing them they won't be available for as cheap as I bought them for.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

If I see a great deal/sale on a game I'm even a little bit interested in I pick it up...so my backlog is pretty big.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22665 Posts

*slowly raises hand...

Trying to be really critical of my choices for purchase now a days, but I look at my huge switch library specifically like, "dude you're not gonna play all this... There's no way....stop"

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Whenever I see a sale I pick up a couple of games and add them to library. My backlog is getting bigger but I usually always find the time to beat them. Christmas is usually the perfect time.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

I play a max of 4 games at a time, so yeah I have a few games downloaded on my harddrive which I haven't started yet. Most of them are bargains that I found as xbox store deals. I'll get to play them sooner or later. There aren't too many new exciting releases at the moment to distract me anyway.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

I'm not too bad at buying games and not playing them. Generally when i buy a game i will play it asap. There are some exceptions like if i am buying a game and see another i wanted on sale i will think "ah sure may as well get both". but that's pretty rare.

However i very rarely actually finish games. i get easily distracted. I am in the middle of one game and a new game i wanted to play get releaed? oh you betchya the game i am currently playing is getting parked. sure i will get back to it...i promise :S. then something else comes out and...well....thats how you get a backlog.

I have been buying far fewer games lately though and have been focused more on clearing out the backlog.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yup. Steam sales. I used to be so good about not doing this. I would buy a specific game when I was specifically looking to start it. But something changed in my life a free years back and I just lost that level of control. I think it's like stress eating. But I've been a ton better this year. Think I'm starting to hit backlog saturation

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

I don't really worry about a backlog anymore. I just try to keep it reasonable. If I know I'm not going to play the game Day 1, then I'll just wait for a sale. To me it's more about accessibility now. Being able to play whatever I want to play. This is another advantage to buying things physical. You can buy something at a discount or get a good deal on it, and then later on sell it. As much as Nintendo games get flack for not going on sale, I love that I can buy certain Nintendo games and they'll keep their value for years. Buying a game full price digitally is a tough pill to swallow. I would have to really love the game to want to pay $70 + taxes and not have the ability to sell it later on.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

Yes, absolutely. I've gotten much better about it this year, but still purchased both Far Cry 6 and Mass Effect Legendary this morning even though I just started Hitman 2 (which I will 100%) They were both good deals though, and I want to play both. The biggest thing is that I no longer get anything day one unless it's a personal favorite. HFW is probably the only thing in the foreseeable future I'll get day one.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Yep. I buy games on a steep discount, and hope to get to them eventually. It's often years before I do.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I find it hard to pass up a good deal I do eventually get to them but it could be 6-12 months before I do. Happens every black Friday sales.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Yeah, when sales happen I might grab a few things and take a while to get to others, if I ever do.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Oh yeah. Hades and Psychonauts 2 from game pass come to mind.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#28 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

its pretty rare I do that nowadays. mostly only buy games if I want to play them right away.

Buying something, playing it for a little bit and getting distracted by a different game is more my style

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

All the time my backlog is really big will never not have a backlog. Only way I would not have a backlog would be if I didnt have to work just not enough time to play everything or if like no games came out for like several years lol. Also I am a big sports fan and at times its hard to even keep up with that and work. Heck I just had like 8-9 days in a row where I had no time where I was not either working, sleeping or watching sports so didnt play anything those days. Heck I still got a few ps3 games and Wii U games I need to play. Man times sucks.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I can't say I have a single game in my collection that I haven't played even if in some cases my play time can be measured in minutes.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

I do, but not too many. I just purchased 4 games on Black Friday sales. I have 3 games sitting there on Gamepass that I downloaded but haven't played. I just got Pokemon Diamond over the weekend. I also intend to spend most of my gaming time the next 2 or 3 months on Halo and Forza.

But I figure that's 10 games. And I intend to play them all in the next year. I don't mind them sitting around for a few months- a year before I open them up.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Used to, a long time ago.

Then I stopped buying and just started playing. Now no more backlog and no more money wasted. Being the one responsible for my household certainly influenced that.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

I have way too many I've never played. I don't by much anymore because of it. When I can no longer get gamepass for free through Microsoft rewards, I probably will only buy one or two games per year.

Norri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35 Norri
Member since 2020 • 79 Posts
I still have about 5 or 6 games to play, I think there may be a couple more. Some are Persona 5 strikers, Secret of Mana and Kingdom Heart all in one collection (never played it but decided to give it a try...in the future). I'm currently playing Tales of Zestiria, I think I'm going for just over half the game.
My children also play, practically the same games as me, so I am usually the only one with little time to play :)
I finish all the games I buy (there are some unfinished games, but it's usually because I really didnt like them). The reason I buy and play/finish them months or years later is simple: time. Between work and family life, the time to play video games is not too much and since I like RPGs in general, with approximately 60/100 hours of play each, it takes time to finish them. Finally, the reason why I buy them is because in my country, there are certain types of games that become difficult to get and therefore, they go up in price quickly.
Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#36  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

Yes, I do try and at least play them, but most of the time it's not even for an hour and move on to the next game.

I don't do it as often anymore, since I have a new hobby in Magic The Gathering Cards BUT

Now I have MTG cards that I never play or move on to new cards in a few months, but keep the old ones.

Any kind of "Collecting" hobby is going to have this

And to anyone that Says "Just get GamePass duh! You won't waste your money" The problem still exists. You have at your finger tips WAY more games than you could ever play, you may play a few for an hour then never play again. Or you play one game the majority of the time OR you just scroll through the games and don't play anything (Netflix Syndrome)

It's the same behavior.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Use to alot when they went on sale but now that i have gamepass i dont buy any games anymore.

No need anymore woth the catalogue they have you can just keep trying games and if you dont like it delete it

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I have several dozen sealed games that I purchased to play and just never got around to them. I'm not holding onto them as collectors items (although I do collect) but there is no need to open them until I'm ready to play them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Nope. Got a friend who does that all the time. He plays like 1 of 5 games he gets.

I really don't get it. Just get the game when you want to play it? It'll probably be cheaper then as well.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Also have a bad habit of not finishing games I starred. Persona5 is that game for me. I'm almost the end too but a bunch of other games have been taking my time.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@thewitcher2015: I bought and never played Dead Rising 3