Bungie Working on a MMOFPS? Rumor.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
I say again, rumor. "Sandwiched within' the pages of the December issue of EGM is a new Halo rumor stating that either the Peter Jackson project or Bungie's next gaming venture could be a FPS MMO. EGM's rumor mole received special "word" that Microsoft is already busy creating a FPS MMO for the Xbox 360 and that it is tied to Bungie in some way. If one were to take the rumor further, one could speculate that the hush, hush Peter Jackson project or Bungie's post Halo 3 project could end up being the rumored MMO." I just hope MS doesn't put out a Halo MMO, I'd rather have Bungie do something different.
martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
I actually think this wouldn't be a bad idea, I could imagine starting off as either Human or Covenant maybe with a choice of Elite/Brutes and starting off with assault/plasma rifles and levelling up to Energy swords and Spartan Lasers :)
mirlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mirlegend
Member since 2002 • 6737 Posts
I would love a Halo game like Huxley with large scale battles, minor rpg system and decent non pvp battles.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

It's the new guy from 1up who's leaking stuff isn't it? :evil:

Anyways, the halo universe has got everything that's needed for mmofps. It's got huge armies fighting each other, transport vehicles already designed etc. If they could do this in the time before the halo storyline you could have packs of elites fighting packs of spartans. Sure, battles may be very short for some people getting sniped right away, but it's possible. I'd rather have them working on something non halo though.

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WuTangG
Member since 2007 • 2189 Posts
Gosh i hate Halo 3, it sucks so bad and the graphics are just like Halo 2. Yeah okay fine, the first level is beautiful but it just goes downhill. And while Halo 2 had an excellent MP to back it up, Halo 3 has a 11 crappy maps that do nothing different other than a few new guns and equipment.
martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 martin_f
I'd like to see it the Halo universe is definately MMO Material.
martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 martin_f
I'd like to see it the Halo universe is definately MMO Material.
WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WuTangG

I'd like to see it the Halo universe is definately MMO Material.martin_f
Im sick of MMOs, there is only room for one and we all know what that is.

Honestly, MMOs are a strain on your money, i would much rather have a full on game with a good MP that i can play for years

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Gosh i hate Halo 3, it sucks so bad and the graphics are just like Halo 2. Yeah okay fine, the first level is beautiful but it just goes downhill. And while Halo 2 had an excellent MP to back it up, Halo 3 has a 11 crappy maps that do nothing different other than a few new guns and equipment.WuTangG

Right, and you gave Tekken: Dark Ressurection a 10. Way to go with credibility mate.

Anyway, I hope they don't create a Halo MMOFPS. Let the Halo train just die down a little before revving it up again.

I want a new Bungie IP! And that's where they're going anyway, from listening to the interviews they have on the bonus Halo 3 dvds.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
It can be done and they have some great material for it. but I dont want it to be a game with lag all over the place. I think PC and/or next generation console would be the best platform here.
WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WuTangG

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]Gosh i hate Halo 3, it sucks so bad and the graphics are just like Halo 2. Yeah okay fine, the first level is beautiful but it just goes downhill. And while Halo 2 had an excellent MP to back it up, Halo 3 has a 11 crappy maps that do nothing different other than a few new guns and equipment.FrozenLiquid

Right, and you gave Tekken: Dark Ressurection a 10. Way to go with credibility mate.

Anyway, I hope they don't create a Halo MMOFPS. Let the Halo train just die down a little before revving it up again.

I want a new Bungie IP! And that's where they're going anyway, from listening to the interviews they have on the bonus Halo 3 dvds.

That was actually my 'Gangsta' PSP cousin, i happen to only own an XBOX and 360, so yeah, you can guess what camp im in but Halo 3 is a sick joke. Even RFOM kills it, which has an excellent multiplayer and some really good set pieces in the SP
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]Gosh i hate Halo 3, it sucks so bad and the graphics are just like Halo 2. Yeah okay fine, the first level is beautiful but it just goes downhill. And while Halo 2 had an excellent MP to back it up, Halo 3 has a 11 crappy maps that do nothing different other than a few new guns and equipment.WuTangG

That was actually my 'Gangsta' PSP cousin, i happen to only own an XBOX and 360, so yeah, you can guess what camp im in but Halo 3 is a sick joke. Even RFOM kills it, which has an excellent multiplayer and some really good set pieces in the SP

So you don't own a PS3, but playedResistance enough to know it's better than halo 3 too?
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts
I hope the Jackson project is not this. I'm not paying a monthly fee for one game.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

MMOFPS? Although i like the idea a whole lot, it's going to have to be balanced a lot better than an MMORPG. The fear of a lvl 1 kicking a lvl 51s arse is all too real.

P.S. I hate MMORPGs...

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FrozenLiquid

WuTangG

I'd have to disagree, because after the less-than-stellar sophomore that was Halo 2 (I thought it was from the beginning), Halo 3 was godsend. Funny how everyone criticized Halo 2's MP when it was released, now it's apparently the be-all-and-end-all of Halo MP, and compared to Halo 3's MP, godsend (A hell no. BXR, BXBers, double shotters all go to hell!)

Halo 3 just reached the level of Halo 1 excellence -- it never truly skyrocketed past it. That was everyone's expectations, but yeah.

It should be bigger and badder than Halo 1, considering its ambitions, but they just didn't reach its potential.

And because of that, we're underwhelmed.

The Earth was about to be destroyed? Really? I didn't know that....

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WuTangG
[QUOTE="WuTangG"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]Gosh i hate Halo 3, it sucks so bad and the graphics are just like Halo 2. Yeah okay fine, the first level is beautiful but it just goes downhill. And while Halo 2 had an excellent MP to back it up, Halo 3 has a 11 crappy maps that do nothing different other than a few new guns and equipment.11Marcel

So you don't own a PS3, but playedResistance enough to know it's better than halo 3 too?

Yes ive played it extensively at one of my cousins and friends house and its a lot of fun. Either way, Bungie are getting greedy now, they wouldnt be half the developer had it not been for MSs funding
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

MMOFPS? Although i like the idea a whole lot, it's going to have to be balanced a lot better than an MMORPG. The fear of a lvl 1 kicking a lvl 51s arse is all too real.

P.S. I hate MMORPGs...

-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Serpahim-
Member since 2007 • 1627 Posts

I say again, rumor. "Sandwiched within' the pages of the December issue of EGM is a new Halo rumor stating that either the Peter Jackson project or Bungie's next gaming venture could be a FPS MMO. EGM's rumor mole received special "word" that Microsoft is already busy creating a FPS MMO for the Xbox 360 and that it is tied to Bungie in some way. If one were to take the rumor further, one could speculate that the hush, hush Peter Jackson project or Bungie's post Halo 3 project could end up being the rumored MMO." I just hope MS doesn't put out a Halo MMO, I'd rather have Bungie do something different.DaysAirlines

Rumor based on a rumor....thats what i call reliability!

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WuTangG

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]That was actually my 'Gangsta' PSP cousin, i happen to only own an XBOX and 360, so yeah, you can guess what camp im in but Halo 3 is a sick joke. Even RFOM kills it, which has an excellent multiplayer and some really good set pieces in the SP
FrozenLiquid

I'd have to disagree, because after the less-than-stellar sophomore that was Halo 2 (I thought it was from the beginning), Halo 3 was godsend. Funny how everyone criticized Halo 2's MP when it was released, now it's apparently the be-all-and-end-all of Halo MP, and compared to Halo 3's MP, godsend (A hell no. BXR, BXBers, double shotters all go to hell!)

Halo 3 just reached the level of Halo 1 excellence -- it never truly skyrocketed past it. That was everyone's expectations, but yeah.

It should be bigger and badder than Halo 1, considering its ambitions, but they just didn't reach its potential.

And because of that, we're underwhelmed.

The Earth was about to be destroyed? Really? I didn't know that....

Firstly Halo CE has by far the best SP, it was simply out of its world for its time and continues to influence almost each and every shooter out there

Halo 2 made incredible refinements but at the same time shed what made Halo so great and that was size (Kidtendo fans take not, this is why you need power). As a result, its linear corridor shooting was really anti-climatic. Because of that, its best that its played on Normal and finished quickly not giving it to much time to expose its flaws. There were some really ncie levels in it, and some that were really bad, but finishing it quickly meant it was a blur

Now Halo 3, where do i start, its simply by far the worst. Ive played through it quite far, but yeah, it just doesnt seem to have taken off, it feels like im STILL in the introductory. The game in my opinion is EVEN more linear than Halo 2, yeah some of the environments are a bit larger, but still, the battles are just a bore. Graphically, the game is simply a joke, how can you call this a 360 game when its just upscale Halo 2?

As for Halo 2 MP, i always love it and defended it against all the pistol whores and the Cows/Hermits who called it dumb-downed console shooter. Arguebly, Halo 3s MP is better, as its a bit more. But thats it, and the maps? Dont even get me started...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

It would be kinda cool and I would give it a go.

They should name it.

Halo MMO - Start Another Fight. :D

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FrozenLiquid
Firstly Halo CE has by far the best SP, it was simply out of its world for its time and continues to influence almost each and every shooter out there

Halo 2 made incredible refinements but at the same time shed what made Halo so great and that was size (Kidtendo fans take not, this is why you need power). As a result, its linear corridor shooting was really anti-climatic. Because of that, its best that its played on Normal and finished quickly not giving it to much time to expose its flaws. There were some really ncie levels in it, and some that were really bad, but finishing it quickly meant it was a blur

Now Halo 3, where do i start, its simply by far the worst. Ive played through it quite far, but yeah, it just doesnt seem to have taken off, it feels like im STILL in the introductory. The game in my opinion is EVEN more linear than Halo 2, yeah some of the environments are a bit larger, but still, the battles are just a bore. Graphically, the game is simply a joke, how can you call this a 360 game when its just upscale Halo 2?

As for Halo 2 MP, i always love it and defended it against all the pistol whores and the Cows/Hermits who called it dumb-downed console shooter. Arguebly, Halo 3s MP is better, as its a bit more. But thats it, and the maps? Dont even get me started...

WuTangG

Halo doesn't continue to influence anymore mate. It pretty much stopped in 2004, when Halo 2/Half Life 2 came out.

If you decided to rush through Halo 2, you probably would have missed a lot of things. Halo's story telling requires you to embrace your surroundings and take in what people are saying. Unlike Half Life 2, they aren't going to wait for you to get to "X" area to start their monologue. If you miss it -- tough luck.

Secondly, linearity is not the bane of Halo. If it works and continues to work for Half Life, for F.E.A.R etcthen why we must make it a negative for Halo is beyond me.

Well, it sounds like you're in the first act of the third and final chapter, which, in most stories, does not have much plot at all. Only at the end does the story pick up, which may explain this "introduction" stage.

So, how can we call this a 360 game when it's an upscale of Halo 2? I'm not sure, because if that's the case, we should also take a look at GRAW because that's certainly not as impressive as Halo 3 -- it's plain textured (not to mention even more low res), lower-polygoned, zero particle effect, anda very"barren"game.

Halo 3 is a more than just "a bit more". The AR pretty much changes everything from respawn. You can only carry four grenades at any given time. No more glitching (which was common in Halo 2, was it not?). Sniper-sweeping has been eliminated -- it now takes skill to use. Almost all vehicles have been upgraded against small arms fire -- only the "big" weapons are enough to really take them down, or the now very usefull plasma pistol.

As for the maps, a lot of people have learned to like them. What was once the most vetoed map in the entire Beta, Snowbound has become pretty popular. Isolation got the same treatment upon release, but now people are enjoying its juxtaposing nature.

Oh, and one of the main concerns about Halo according to hermits was its sense of verticality. Construct is one hell of a chaotic map. People setting off your motion tracker when they're levels above and below you is pretty damn scary. Another map people started to have affection for. The only map people really hate is The Pit. Thematically, it's awesome, but it's just a little bland.

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WuTangG

Halo doesn't continue to influence anymore mate. It pretty much stopped in 2004, when Halo 2/Half Life 2 came out.

If you decided to rush through Halo 2, you probably would have missed a lot of things. Halo's story telling requires you to embrace your surroundings and take in what people are saying. Unlike Half Life 2, they aren't going to wait for you to get to "X" area to start their monologue. If you miss it -- tough luck.

Secondly, linearity is not the bane of Halo. If it works and continues to work for Half Life, for F.E.A.R etcthen why we must make it a negative for Halo is beyond me.

Well, it sounds like you're in the first act of the third and final chapter, which, in most stories, does not have much plot at all. Only at the end does the story pick up, which may explain this "introduction" stage.

So, how can we call this a 360 game when it's an upscale of Halo 2? I'm not sure, because if that's the case, we should also take a look at GRAW because that's certainly not as impressive as Halo 3 -- it's plain textured (not to mention even more low res), lower-polygoned, zero particle effect, anda very"barren"game.

Halo 3 is a more than just "a bit more". The AR pretty much changes everything from respawn. You can only carry four grenades at any given time. No more glitching (which was common in Halo 2, was it not?). Sniper-sweeping has been eliminated -- it now takes skill to use. Almost all vehicles have been upgraded against small arms fire -- only the "big" weapons are enough to really take them down, or the now very usefull plasma pistol.

As for the maps, a lot of people have learned to like them. What was once the most vetoed map in the entire Beta, Snowbound has become pretty popular. Isolation got the same treatment upon release, but now people are enjoying its juxtaposing nature.

Oh, and one of the main concerns about Halo according to hermits was its sense of verticality. Construct is one hell of a chaotic map. People setting off your motion tracker when they're levels above and below you is pretty damn scary. Another map people started to have affection for. The only map people really hate is The Pit. Thematically, it's awesome, but it's just a little bland.

FrozenLiquid

Theres lots of subtleties that Halo invented (or for hermits, incorporated flawlessly) that still stand in todays games, and offcourse the more obvious ones such as regenerating health in say RFOM.

As for linearity, i happen to disagree, its what ruined Halo 2. See first time i finished it, i did it on Heroic. Unfortunately, it didnt seem designed for that difficulty, as in youd have to do sequences over and over again because one stupid enemy was left and he somehow jumped out on you and finished you off. Nonetheless, it prolonged an ultimately FLAWED campaign and made the crap parts of it just stick out even more. One thing i do give credit to Halo 3 is for tweaking the difficulties really well, as in the harder difficulties are harder not because enemies are just more beefed up but because theyve gone back and actually tailor made it so that its more difficult. So in other words, they increased the level of enemies, the weapons they carry, the numbers they stick together in, the number of snipers, so on and so forth.

But yeah, when it came to Halo 1, sure there was level repetition, but you knew once you came out the corridor, you were in for a EPIC battle with numerous vehicles and dozens of enemies in huge environments. Unfortunately, neither of the sequels kept this

As for graphics, well technically maybe Halo 3 is indeed superior to GRAW, but what actually looks better. Same goes for PC version of it, it looks a lot better on paper, but once you play it, GRAW is a MUCH better looking game. We all know MGS and its waek textures yet it looks downright amazing.

As for MP, you pretty much agreed with me, its just a bit more, nothing that breaks much ground. Sure, its Halo, so it should remain Halo because the formula worked right? Well look at the Unreal series, each game has improved by strides yet it feels similar each game. As for the maps, just because people are accepting them more doesnt change the fact they suck still

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
It may or may not be Halo though, I'm hoping for Marathon.
-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts
That would actually be pretty cool. I'm hoping at least one of the MMO rumors (KOTOR and Halo) is true.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Well, I wouldn't mind a MMO set in the Halo universe (joygasm!), especially if we were to see the early conquests of the Covenant agains humanity. Could be nothing short of epic.

However, I do echo the general consensus here: New IP, bungie! I believe in you guys. I'm sure you can create a new universe that can rival and even surpass Halo. You're no longer under MS' thumb for better or worse... take advantage of the situation :D

P.S. I hate MMORPGs...

Shazenab

I would guess levels would become something like the trueskill rank - a level 51 should be way better than a level 1.

termantervo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 termantervo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

to be honest level up is really old...a MMOFPS needs to be new...instead of leveling to new weapons...you have to find them...or loot them from a dead enemy...that way people cant just spawn with it...you get looted you go back to starting weapon...like Battle rifle or something...you can customize weapons to be better...but leveling to a rocket launcher would be dumb...because if your on a bombing run all this guy has to do is spawn with his rocket launch he leveled for...and boom you day is ruined....it's has to be harder then to just level to get a better waepon you have to fight for itand loot it...

but all in all your idea was great...i think they can pull it off

termantervo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 termantervo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i think there should be military classes you pick...like air force...land assault stuff like that...it would make things a lot more tactical...but mass battle would be **** awesome...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

[QUOTE="martin_f"]I'd like to see it the Halo universe is definately MMO Material.WuTangG

Honestly, MMOs are a strain on your money, i would much rather have a full on game with a good MP that i can play for years

You sound bitter and hard to please. Good luck.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

erm, i hope not. they cant even get 16 players to work right without massive lag

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="martin_f"]I'd like to see it the Halo universe is definately MMO Material.WuTangG

But what if Bungie didn't make you pay a monthly fee?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Why did a 2 year old thread get bumped?

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]Gosh i hate Halo 3, it sucks so bad and the graphics are just like Halo 2. Yeah okay fine, the first level is beautiful but it just goes downhill. And while Halo 2 had an excellent MP to back it up, Halo 3 has a 11 crappy maps that do nothing different other than a few new guns and equipment.WuTangG

Resistance online is a straight up fragfest. Halo takes skillz.

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

I'll have to see how the agency does before getting excited for a halo mmo, halo is not that appealing to me to begin with