Bungie inks deal with Activision ***All other Bungie topics here****

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#201 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
10 years! I do not know but it feels if Bungie sold themselves to the devilSilentlyMad
It's only the publishing rights to the new IP bungie is creating. So It's only going to be one series if it becomes that.
hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 hellhund
Member since 2003 • 1984 Posts

lol, Bungie's forums are filled with some of the biggest drama queens I've ever seen. Activision gains publishing rights for ONE IP and people are acting like Bungie stole their pensions.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts
im gonna go ahead and guess that bungie will be the new cod go to dev now.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#204 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

10 years! I do not know but it feels if Bungie sold themselves to the devilSilentlyMad

Except the devil's contract states that they actually get to keep their soul.;) Activision is not going to own Bungie or their games, so they actually got a good deal here.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#205 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

lol, Bungie's forums are filled with some of the biggest drama queens I've ever seen. Activision gains publishing rights for ONE IP and people are acting like Bungie stole their pensions.

hellhund
Yea its bananas over there.
Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts

. . .Heh. This only strengthens the possibility of their future games being on multiple consoles now. At least they're not owned by Activision. . .

What a way to start the morning. . .

Edit: Looks like Acti will just be publishing the one new IP Bungie is making. My mistake.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#207 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

This is such a bombshell out of nowhere I nearly spit coffee out of my mouth despite not drinking any.

Reportedly it took them 9 god damn months to work out this arrangement, so one would think that Bungie has thought and looked over everything multiple times. Hopefully this will work out for them. But you know...

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]

[QUOTE="0mnipotent89"]

So the Sony fanboys were right. Bungie's next game would come to PS3. I mean, sure it was just wishful thinking, but it actually became accurate.

Infinity Ward = pwned. Their situation will no longer matter. Someone finally steps up the publisher trying to destroy gaming and people start to back up IW, and then Bungie signs a 10 year agreement with them.

I no longer have a reason to own an Xbox. I used to play fighters, RPGs and Halo (the only FPS I liked)

I think the only WTF move left now is Microsoft announcing at E3 that Polyphony Digital has infact been developing GT5 for 360 and this whole time PD has been a first party studio to Microsoft. Either that or the next Zelda is exclusive to Playstation.

0mnipotent89

"The situation won't matter"? Sure it will. People won't blindly follow Bungie regardless of what they do. This thread and the disappointed people in it are proof of that.

Bungie may make a great game for Activision, but I'm not buying it if Kotick is in charge. It could be better than OoT but I have principles and I'm not going to compromise them. No single game can't be lived without.

I'm not saying people are going to follow Bungie, what I'm saying is the talk of the media is just going to focus around Bungie and Activision's partnership whereas before it was all about IW/Respawn Entertainment.

Oh no, the IW versus Activision story is far from finished. They are going to be mired in lawsuits for ages, and if you think IW vs Acti isn't a hot enough topic to overcome Bungie merely signing with them (no follow-up stories like lawsuits and counter-suits), you are mistaken. Picking up Bungie at this point isn't good press for them, it's bad press for Bungie. Gamers aren't going to say "Hey dude, they picked up Bungie, that means they care about gamers and want to make quality games!", they are saying, "Wow, Bungie signed a deal with the devil and will now make half-finished multiplat games in annual installments". It's clear to anyone paying attention that it's Bungie's ability to make money that Activision is interested in, not their ability to make quality games. Too bad Kotick doesn't realize that the two go hand in hand. Luckily he doesn't care if he grinds franchises right into the ground since it's all just numbers to him. Who gives a crap if Blizzard ends up as a mockery of a company, as long as he makes his cut from Starcraft, Diablo and WoW. I really dislike Activision. Their business practices and clear contempt for gamers and the industry is a slap in the face, and anyone with self-respect should stop giving them money for overhyped nonsense.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts
This is unbelievable...disgrace on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin with.Salt_The_Fries
WOW. you people sure know how to over react. how is it a disgrace if activision publish bungie games. is it a disgrace that they publish blizzard games too
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
"So Activision was the partner that ultimately believed in those terms for us, and in return we definitely can't deny their ability to bring huge entertainment to market on a global scale, their multi-platform experience and expertise" from the eurogamer interview. I think we can safely say we will see this game on the PS3.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#211 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

:|

:|

Mind = blown.

Jesus.

On the other hand, this does make sense. They get to own their IP like they're accustomed to, and Activision won't be in a position to screw them over in any way.

Still....what the hell.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Hahadouken

hellhund
Judging by Activision's history, this ONE IP could very well have 12 iterations of it in the next 10 years. It's no small potatoes, if you think they'll just casually make one game and sit on their hands for 9 years, while running around the industry making games for 4 other publishers, you're out of your gourd.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Eurogamer: It's funny you should say that, because one of the weird things in the press release is the "10 year" thing rather than it being a two or three game deal, which makes me wonder if this is an MMO maybe. Brian Jarrard: I can't get into specifics, but we're definitely looking at building a universe that people want to spend time in. Much like Halo but we have much more grandiose vision here, so it's a long-term partnership for us. We're really embarking on something that will be a significant undertaking for the studio that will involve multiple games set inside this brand new IP and universe. But clearly Activision does have good experience running large-scale universes over a long period of time, so that was one appealing attribute that drew us to them. Eurogamer: Yeah, they've got a fairly successful massively multiplayer game. Brian Jarrard: I've heard that, yes. OMG an MMO? Fail.
hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 hellhund
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"So Activision was the partner that ultimately believed in those terms for us, and in return we definitely can't deny their ability to bring huge entertainment to market on a global scale, their multi-platform experience and expertise" from the eurogamer interview. I think we can safely say we will see this game on the PS3.

I've never doubted that was their reason for leaving Microsoft in the first place. They want to reach the rest of the gaming audience, not just 360 owners.
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

Whoa...:o This is the day that gaming dies...ok i am being to dramatic but its certainly an idiotic move,MS is charity in comparison with Activision.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#216 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

Check it out Bungie signs 10 year publishing deal with activision.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704328/Industry-Shocker-Halo-Developer-Bungie-Studios-Signs-Deal-With-Activision-.html

jdc6305
How come Gamespot doesn't have this on their site yet. This is not surprising as Halo: Reach is Bungie's last Halo game. Microsoft will continue it from here on out. I'm expecting Microsoft will have some big partnership news at the E3 this year as well. Hopefully Activision won't screw Bungie like they did Infinity Ward. I think this is a bad move for Bungie. Activision will benefit from this move more hen Bungie will. If anything, Bungie should have merged with Infinity Ward. OMG!! Imagine what kind of games these 2 talented studios could produce.
XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#217 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts
[QUOTE="hellhund"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"So Activision was the partner that ultimately believed in those terms for us, and in return we definitely can't deny their ability to bring huge entertainment to market on a global scale, their multi-platform experience and expertise" from the eurogamer interview. I think we can safely say we will see this game on the PS3.

I've never doubted that was their reason for leaving Microsoft in the first place. They want to reach the rest of the gaming audience, not just 360 owners.

Yeah.. same reason Capcom, Namco and SquareEnix are now making games for the XBox 360 the were original exclusives.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Hahadouken
Does Activision really think a mash-up of MMO business models and ADD console FPS noobness is what casuals are crying out for? I think they are pretty distinct groups, I don't know if there is as much crossover between COD fans and people willing to pay $15 a month to play a game as they may think... and obviously, the game will be on consoles, and MMOs aren't exactly all the rage on consoles. Is the WoW player running his elf through fantasy worlds collecting herbs really just so addicted to paying for MMOs that he will pick up COD the MMO merely because it is an MMO? Is the average no-attention-span COD player going to take the time to explore a persistant world? A paid casual shooter MMO would be interesting to see, I would never touch it but I would like to see how it is received. World of Duty: Combat Evolved may not be far off. Gross. That said, a really good shooter with the Guild Wars business model, and Resistance 2 style co-op that uses 8 players in different roles to get through actual levels with bosses and a story could be really awesome. Too bad it's going to be Activision, because I'm going to avoid it. More likely it will focus on players killing eachother in some sort of larger-scale rip-off of MAG.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#219 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

The next question how stupid is MS for passing up publishing the next Bungie game? Even if the game was horrible it would still recoop its money invested just from the 1st game released. I knew MS didnt want alot of 1st party studio's, but this is just plain idiotic. Good for Bungie cause they get to make a truck load more money being multiplat, but seriously who at MS ok'd this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="hellhund"]

christ. bungie fans appear to be mob mentality minded as well as a bit dumb. no offense to any gamespot whatevers, but some of those people at bungie.net are seriously silly
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Fizzman

Jandurin

christ. bungie fans appear to be mob mentality minded as well as a bit dumb. no offense to any gamespot whatevers, but some of those people at bungie.net are seriously silly

You do see the irony of posting this in SW right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
OMG an MMO? Fail.blue_hazy_basic
it was pretty obvious from the getgo. That's why they went to Activision, they've got experience, and 10 years? Obviously an MMO timeframe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Yea its bananas over there.Fizzman

the people here are hardly reacting at all
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] christ. bungie fans appear to be mob mentality minded as well as a bit dumb. no offense to any gamespot whatevers, but some of those people at bungie.net are seriously sillyJandurin

the people here are hardly reacting at all

In general SW is full of the biggest lunatics. We have farm animal nicknames for consoler users.

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

Jandurin

I think they are overly defensive but with good reason.They are probably scared of Activision doing the same to them like they did to IW,and that is to be expected...overpricing,milking,slaving...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#226 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
My principles are the following make a good game that justifies the price tag to me, and I'll buy it(ok ODST broke this rule a bit, but I forgive it for Bungie). Bungie is still independant, Bungie still gets to do what they want, and Activision inked a deal for ONE FRANCHISE. This is basically Bungie's way to find a new audience on the PS3 and the PC.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

:lol: . That's all I have to say on this matter.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#228 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]OMG an MMO? Fail.Jandurin
it was pretty obvious from the getgo. That's why they went to Activision, they've got experience, and 10 years? Obviously an MMO timeframe.

wait wait wait. Where the hell did this MMO idea come from :?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

In general SW is full of the biggest lunatics. We have farm animal nicknames for consoler users.

Fizzman
that's just because we all like to have cute pet names for each other :) It's a forum of love and playful banter.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]OMG an MMO? Fail.jg4xchamp

The Eurogamer interview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]OMG an MMO? Fail.jg4xchamp

it was the very first thing I thought of... Isn't it obvious? WoW makes a **** ton of money, and Bungie went to Activision. Activision doesn't mind because they will get money from WoW and the competitor, and competition is ALWAYS good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] it was pretty obvious from the getgo. That's why they went to Activision, they've got experience, and 10 years? Obviously an MMO timeframe.blue_hazy_basic

The Eurogamer interview

that's not where i got it from, but i'm glad i wasn't the only one to think of it :P
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Hahadouken

The next question how stupid is MS for passing up publishing the next Bungie game? Even if the game was horrible it would still recoop its money invested just from the 1st game released. I knew MS didnt want alot of 1st party studio's, but this is just plain idiotic. Good for Bungie cause they get to make a truck load more money being multiplat, but seriously who at MS ok'd this?

Fizzman
What makes you think they simply "OK'd" this? MS has never owned Bungie. Do you doubt they fought tooth-and-nail to keep them making 360 exclusives? Activision probably promised them a better deal, and they get to make multiplat games now.
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Is this...for real? Honest answer please.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Fizzman

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] it was pretty obvious from the getgo. That's why they went to Activision, they've got experience, and 10 years? Obviously an MMO timeframe.Jandurin

it was the very first thing I thought of... Isn't it obvious? WoW makes a **** ton of money, and Bungie went to Activision. Activision doesn't mind because they will get money from WoW and the competitor, and competition is ALWAYS good.

Makes even more sense now why Bungie didnt go with Activision and why MS shot it down. Also an MMO as a console exclusive is a bigger fail then an MMO on consoles.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Is this...for real? Honest answer please.SpiritOfFire117
Short answer , yes. Long answer yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Hahadouken

What makes you think they simply "OK'd" this? MS has never owned Bungie. Do you doubt they fought tooth-and-nail to keep them making 360 exclusives? Activision probably promised them a better deal, and they get to make multiplat games now.

The arrangment between MS and Bungie was that MS got 1st crack at distribution rights of their new game if they wanted to. SO MS passed on it based on the events that transpired.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

MMO as a console exclusive

Fizzman
:lol: complete fail, that would be
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#239 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I facepalmed so hard that I´ve broken my nose...

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

This deal is only for 1 new franchise, activision is just funding the project. Bungie can still do w/e they want.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Where are the Halo fanboys...."Bungie has standards!" :lol:
hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 hellhund

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Yea its bananas over there.Bus-A-Bus

I think they are overly defensive but with good reason.They are probably scared of Activision doing the same to them like they did to IW,and that is to be expected...overpricing,milking,slaving...

No, not with good reason. If they just read the article, they'd know that it's just publishing rights to ONE IP. Activision didn't buy Bungie, Activision can't control what games Bungie makes, Activision has nothing to do with Bungie except for this ONE IP. If its a hot steaming pile of garbage, then Activision gets exclusive publishing rights to a hot steaming pile of garbage for ten years.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Where are the Halo fanboys...."Bungie has standards!" :lol:Zoso-8
They are over on the Bungie forums having personal meltdowns :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
BTW, they could do an FPS MMO sort of like how that movie Gamer showed it. Not sure how they would do PvE though =/
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Is this...for real? Honest answer please.SpiritOfFire117
sorry broheim, its for real. The haloz are safe though so dont panic

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts

Where are the Halo fanboys...."Bungie has standards!" :lol:Zoso-8
And here I thought people would be glad that they aren't "rehashing teh same Halo crap".

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Fizzman

Someone needs to do a Hitler meme finding out Bungie inked a deal with Activision.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]Is this...for real? Honest answer please.Zaibach

sorry broheim, its for real. The haloz are safe though so dont panic

haha, it is not safe, MS is gonna ruin that franchise, i guarantee it
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Hahadouken

This deal is only for 1 new franchise, activision is just funding the project. Bungie can still do w/e they want.

Cloud567kar
How do you interpret that? They signed a 10-year deal with Activision yet they will pump out games for everyone else? Activision is going to get their money's worth out of this one franchise. I bet my testes that Bungie works exclusively on this one game unless they start a second studio/team to do something else.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#250 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] it was pretty obvious from the getgo. That's why they went to Activision, they've got experience, and 10 years? Obviously an MMO timeframe.blue_hazy_basic

The Eurogamer interview

If it is an MMO, then I'll likely pass. The only MMO I currently have any interest in is FFXIV. Beyond that, no thanks. The fact that I am merely interested in just one MMO is enough for me, lol. Hopefully they are just referring to a trilogy of sorts.