Bungie inks deal with Activision ***All other Bungie topics here****

This topic is locked from further discussion.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#951 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
It will be quite interesting to see the terrible changes making games under Activision will bring about in Bungie. Especially if their next game is once again in the Halo universe.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#952 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

No it doesn't work like this, maybe the new IP doesn't need the same lifespan of Halo to be successful and be an icon in the industry, in a matter of fact Halo: CE alone pretty much marked as an iconic game in the industry, 5 years contract could bring alot of money for Activision and rep to Bungie's next IP..

but on the other hand the more I think about it I see it as a good period of time deal since it is hard to bring two games this generation from Bungie's new IP and Activision maybe saw that too.

Also it is always harder to get a new IP the first time out since developers make them from the ground up so I guess it will take at least 2 years to produce their new IP, lets say Bungie ends development of Reach this august and starts from September-October to November of 2011, that makes 1 year which is not enough to produce a blockbuster game.

I don't know if they could produce a game this gen though, they are saying they will but it's almost the end of this generation of consoles, they should work on it right now if they want to release it this gen because it is either 2011 or 2012 when new consoles arrives.

Halo 3 took about 3 years in the making so I don't know how this new IP any different and Activision have no say on deadlines from what I've read about the deal, correct me if Im wrong.

this is really a hard time to be on Bungie's shoes, they need to finish Reach ASAP and decide ASAP if they want to throw their resources and development into this gen or the next.

HAZE-Unit

This generation is a little odd, though. I know Microsoft is treating Natal as a console release, so maybe they plan to keep on, keepin on with the 360 past 2012. Sony may choose to do the same. Hard to tell at this point though.

This is just me, and I am no game developer, but I wouldn't focus on the generation so to speak, but focus more on the game (story, setting, and all the other hoop-la that goes into that early video game development). Bungie's new IP has been the works for a while now, but probably won't see any real development until after Reach is able to stand on its own -- probably mid 2011.

I would think Activision would hope to get at least 2-3 games out of this deal. But two years to put out a game? I don't think Bungie would do that, hell, look at Halo 2. It got three years of development and Bungie ended up cutting nearly 1/4 of the campaign.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#953 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

It will be quite interesting to see the terrible changes making games under Activision will bring about in Bungie. Especially if their next game is once again in the Halo universe.General_X

Except it won't be the Halo universe, because Microsoft owns Halo.

jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#954 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="Persistantthug"]

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

I've had 2 BR drives die on my PS3 (60gig launch) and 1 DVD drive die on my 360 (day 1 Elite, had a launch premium that i traded that never broke) so we all know PS3s break more than Xbox 360s amiright?

No i'm not serious about PS3s breaking more, just making a point, although my example is 100% true.

Respawn-d

PS3's suffer an approx 10% failure rate.

XBOX 360's suffer approx 50%.

I'll take the 10%.

Word of advice though...don't ever buy first run electronics equipment...it renders you a paying guinea pig. Unfortunately, PS3 was no different upon launch.

Always wait at least 1 year.

I have ylod :( my research into it suggest all early ps3 adopter (with b/c) are screwed. Dont expect any 20/60/80gb ps3s to work in ten years

Probably my 60 gb ps3 died. I had it fixed twice and died again and now I am console less until I get my refund check and when that happens I'll go buy a slim.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#955 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="General_X"]It will be quite interesting to see the terrible changes making games under Activision will bring about in Bungie. Especially if their next game is once again in the Halo universe.789shadow

i think people are thinking it would be ok for bungie to make a spin off of the series just as long as it's not called halo.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#956 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]

Shout out to Racer_XLR for inspiring me to write this :). There are a bunch of articles out about the Bungie Activision deal. But none of them are designed to speak directly to System Wars.

Bungie 'Jumps Out'

Racer_XLR

Very nice, Treal. I'll go read it now.

Really great read!
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#957 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"][QUOTE="rogerjak"]

This crap is so unexpected that I can't even believe it's true! I just hope Activision doesn't start to engulf other studios....

Cherokee_Jack

Well, gaining Bungie will only give them more leverage. Blizzard is already there and we managed to swallow that pill eventually. What if Valve ends up there by Christmas? What's really stopping them from taking over everything that isn't owned by EA? Even the most exuberant developer on the planet who hates material goods and loves gamers will fold at the knees for the kind of money Activision can potentially offer. It's pretty sickening when you realize how easy it is.

Valve doesn't give a **** about Activision's money...they're doing just fine for themselves right now.

But if Activision really did make a lot of similar deals with developers, I would applaud them. To me this seems like a step in the right direction (albeit reluctant on their part, I'm sure).

Blizzard was doing just fine for themselves too, and everyone said the same thing. It'll NEVER happen! Then it did. Never say never.

I don't think Valve specifically will end up under Activision's thumb, but I would never discard the possibility outright. If not Valve, insert other developer who isn't owned by a pub.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#958 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] Well, gaining Bungie will only give them more leverage. Blizzard is already there and we managed to swallow that pill eventually. What if Valve ends up there by Christmas? What's really stopping them from taking over everything that isn't owned by EA? Even the most exuberant developer on the planet who hates material goods and loves gamers will fold at the knees for the kind of money Activision can potentially offer. It's pretty sickening when you realize how easy it is.Hahadouken

Valve doesn't give a **** about Activision's money...they're doing just fine for themselves right now.

But if Activision really did make a lot of similar deals with developers, I would applaud them. To me this seems like a step in the right direction (albeit reluctant on their part, I'm sure).

Blizzard was doing just fine for themselves too, and everyone said the same thing. It'll NEVER happen! Then it did. Never say never.

I don't think Valve specifically will end up under Activision's thumb, but I would never discard the possibility outright. If not Valve, insert other developer who isn't owned by a pub.

Well... diffrence is Valve is also distributor (Stream) and they can publish by themselfs

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#959 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts
[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

I for one do not care for Bungie games, The halo universe as awesome as it is was ignored in favour of a fragfest, noob comlaudder of a multiplayer and the single player is beyond mediocre. so all the fanboy posturing and DC do not bother me.

what bothers e is why Activision of all 3rd parties out there????!!!

jg4xchamp
because apparently out of all the pubs they went to. Only Activision was willing to give Bungie a deal that gave them complete ownership of the IP as well as all the creative freedom they wanted. I mean you would want to believe it considering it took 9 months to set up the deal, and this is Bungie who are a big name in their own right, but again it's Activision.

I don't get why it took them nine months to get ownership of there own ips with Activision while it took Jason only a few weeks with EA and respawn :?
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#960 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] Well, gaining Bungie will only give them more leverage. Blizzard is already there and we managed to swallow that pill eventually. What if Valve ends up there by Christmas? What's really stopping them from taking over everything that isn't owned by EA? Even the most exuberant developer on the planet who hates material goods and loves gamers will fold at the knees for the kind of money Activision can potentially offer. It's pretty sickening when you realize how easy it is.Hahadouken

Blizzard was owned by Vivendi... And then Vivendi and Activision merged...

Also, why are you talking about buyouts? Bungie didn't get bought out. And Valve won't either. They may make some sort of publishing arrangement, but considering they already have one with EA, I don't see why.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#961 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

I for one do not care for Bungie games, The halo universe as awesome as it is was ignored in favour of a fragfest, noob comlaudder of a multiplayer and the single player is beyond mediocre. so all the fanboy posturing and DC do not bother me.

what bothers e is why Activision of all 3rd parties out there????!!!

Respawn-d

because apparently out of all the pubs they went to. Only Activision was willing to give Bungie a deal that gave them complete ownership of the IP as well as all the creative freedom they wanted. I mean you would want to believe it considering it took 9 months to set up the deal, and this is Bungie who are a big name in their own right, but again it's Activision.

I don't get why it took them nine months to get ownership of there own ips with Activision while it took Jason only a few weeks with EA and respawn :?

I would assume there is more to it, but that's the word on the street.

As long as I know that Bungie has complete ownership of this IP, that they have all the creative freedom, that the only way it can be milked yearly is if Bungie agrees to it, and that Activision only has a one IP contract I'm happy.

If working with Microsoft has taught Bungie anything it's how to deal with a devil. In this case they seem to be on top of their game as far as contract signings are concerned.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#962 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

[QUOTE="General_X"]It will be quite interesting to see the terrible changes making games under Activision will bring about in Bungie. Especially if their next game is once again in the Halo universe.789shadow

alternate reality lmao just kiddin. or am .... naw.........
tumle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#963 tumle
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="General_X"]It will be quite interesting to see the terrible changes making games under Activision will bring about in Bungie. Especially if their next game is once again in the Halo universe.Santesyu

lol yea its going to be called Helix :P

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#964 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="Santesyu"][QUOTE="789shadow"]

tumle

lol yea its going to be called Helix :P

No... Gloriole.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#965 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

ShadowriverUB

Well... diffrence is Valve is also distributor (Stream) and they can publish by themselfs

Exactly.

Now that Valve has Steam and is established with that, I don't see them going anywhere for a good while.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#966 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

I'm a little confused, did they sign it with Activision or Activision Blizzard.

Is this right: Vivendi>ActivisionBlizzard>Activision=Blizzard

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#967 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

I'm a little confused, did they sign it with Activision or Activision Blizzard.

Is this right: Vivendi>ActivisionBlizzard>Activision=Blizzard

svenus97

Activision and Blizzard have joined up. so techincally it's Activision-Blizzard.

I just realized that Activision is going to be a major competitior against EA now since they have Blizzard, Bungie and whoever is making the Call of Duty Series now.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#968 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

I just realized that Activision is going to be a major competitior against EA now since they have Blizzard, Bungie and whoever is making the Call of Duty Series now.

dream431ca

Going to be? They've been the top US publisher (by sales) since 2008. :P

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#969 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I just realized that Activision is going to be a major competitior against EA now since they have Blizzard, Bungie and whoever is making the Call of Duty Series now.dream431ca
I lol'd. EA is nothing compared to what they used to be last gen and before. Activision rules the streets now:P Which is kinda sad imo. I kinda wished EA had this contract with Bungie. You know..to even things out a bit. Good news that Bungie still has full controll in what they make though.
svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#970 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

Teufelhuhn

EA has BioWare so they win by default :P

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#971 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

svenus97

EA has BioWare so they win by default :P

Quality wise, yes

double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#972 double_heist
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts
Uh... The relationship is like tri-Ace and Square Enix but SE having rights to Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile right?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#973 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Giving this a go. Don't let me down! UNSTICK TOOL - ACTIVATE!
BalaminienGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#974 BalaminienGS
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts
*Sitting in a Comfy Arm Chair* Yes Yes, Gooood goood........ Alll ...... is coming together Hahahahahehehe *In a creepy Grungy voice*