Bungie ditching Activision, will self-publish Destiny.

• 128 results
#101 Edited by Fedor (4231 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: You're irrelevant to the discussion.

#102 Edited by cainetao11 (36353 posts) -

@fedor: lol run with it pal

#103 Posted by Fedor (4231 posts) -

@cainetao11: It's ok, I'm not mad at you. You have yourself a good weekend.

#104 Posted by cainetao11 (36353 posts) -

@fedor said:

@cainetao11: It's ok, I'm not mad at you. You have yourself a good weekend.

You as well, bud.

#105 Posted by AdobeArtist (25089 posts) -

This is AMAZING news!! If Bungie can clean up the monetization, not that I expect it to be removed entirely (sadly once that pandora's box was opened there was no going back), but at least more fair & balanced, and FFS make the shaders collected again... then there's real HOPE for this series.

One thing I do wonder; I haven't played the game myself beyond the beta way back, and did download the free version that I haven't touched since, while still hearing about all endless consumer manipulations.

For now it's still on Battlenet, but what happens when the transition is complete? Does this mean a reinstall from a different service and for those with far more time invested, what does that mean for their progression and collected gear? If the game does need to be reinstalled and launched from a new client, is the player data saved on publisher servers (like Warframe) and would Activision be willing to migrate all of it to where Bungie takes the game so players can resume where they left off? Being curious if I do decide to give Destiny 2 another chance.

#106 Posted by cainetao11 (36353 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@fedor said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Lol now try actually listening to the call. You're uninformed and its embarrassing.

I own their stock. I know how they're doing financially.

Somehow making us the least informed? LMAO

#107 Edited by Fedor (4231 posts) -

@cainetao11: They're a publicly traded company, anyone can know their financials if they desire.

#108 Posted by cainetao11 (36353 posts) -

@fedor said:

@cainetao11: They're a publicly traded company, anyone can know their financials if they desire.

True, but one tends to pay most attention when one's own money is invested.

#109 Posted by lamprey263 (35897 posts) -

Don't imagine they have abandoned their stake in the series. If they own a piece of it, they'll still make money regardless of not having control over it. But good they won't be interfering in Bungie's creative freedom.

#110 Posted by DaVillain- (35009 posts) -

Hey BioWare, do you see this? Do the same before you rot away forever!

But really, I normally don't have any issues with EA, (EA is EA after all) but if Bungie can leave Activision, then Bioware needs to do the same and leave EA in the dust.

#111 Edited by madrocketeer (6114 posts) -

@AdobeArtist:

I suspect the Bungie.net account will be key to that. Accidentally registered one myself when I was trying out the companion app on my phone. They'll probably ask you to register one so they can transfer your progress to a new launcher.

#112 Edited by AdobeArtist (25089 posts) -
@davillain- said:

Hey BioWare, do you see this? Do the same before you rot away forever!

But really, I normally don't have any issues with EA, (EA is EA after all) but if Bungie can leave Activision, then Bioware needs to do the same and leave EA in the dust.

I'd love to see this too.

#113 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30312 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:

2. When this was announced, Bungie devs cheered loudly.

Maybe a rumor, but I 100% believe this.

#114 Edited by madrocketeer (6114 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k:

It's a direct quote from the IGN video I posted.

#115 Posted by 2Chalupas (7018 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@fedor said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Lol now try actually listening to the call. You're uninformed and its embarrassing.

I own their stock. I know how they're doing financially.

Ouchie!

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/atvi

#116 Posted by avenger85 (185 posts) -

Would be interesting if Microsoft picked them up and had them make a destiny style game in the halo universe.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#117 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28372 posts) -

I should expect nothing less from children. Why do I bother.

#118 Posted by 2Chalupas (7018 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

lol destiny 3 will be even worse. The less money used on the game means less production values.

they are going to have to cut some corners without activision's backing.

Not necessarily, they are "free agents" now. Will probably miss Activision's marketing money, but the resources for the game depends on Bungie's own financials which are private. Activision never "owned" them, it was a partnership that was supposed to last 10 years. They got paid for that partnership and took their share of whatever Destiny's profits were (and presumably had to give back something to buy themselves out 2 years early and keep the Destiny rights). Do they have the infrastructure and finances to "self-publish"? Who knows. But if they need to they could just as easily sign a publishing deal to do a game with EA, or Microsoft, or *gasp* Sony.

The only thing odd about this is they are apparently wanting to do Destiny 3, not something fresh or unique. When you hear about studios extracting themselves from under the thumb of a larger publisher, it's because they want to escape from having to make the same game again. This tells me they probably did the math and figured they weren't getting enough of a cut, so it's probably more about how the profits were split than creative differences or anything like that... I don't care what the PR people say.

#119 Posted by VFighter (4498 posts) -

@2Chalupas: Its funny that people must think Bungie is some poor company that can't produce a game on their own. Activision did support Destiny and dumped a lot of money into it, so the groundwork is already done and taken care of. Acts biggest contribution was probably advertising which they spent an insane amount on for D1, but Destiny is now a well known and established franchise, again the groundwork is done. Bungie has a chance to knock this out of the park without being held down and told what to do.

#120 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19278 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: go look yourself in the mirror, you'll see a child. Owning Activision stock doesn't make you an "adult" among people, if anything, you lost money and need to sell before the stock falls faster

Bungie will not be able to market Destiny without Activision, but they can start over, or find another publisher that will take a helm

#121 Posted by PC_Rocks (1805 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pc_rocks said:

Wait wasn't the deal for 10 years that includes '4 games'? Yes, 4 Games in addition to dlc's. Bungie so far had only released 2 games.

Activision, on their end, probably had a right to terminate the deal or end it early if they wish. I think they saw the Destiny train had died and nothing was going to save it. Lots of deals get made for several movies, books, games, etc but that's only if that sweet sweet coin keeps coming into the bank accounts of those publisher executives.

Yeah probably but the article made it sound like Bungie is splitting. I highly doubt they can.

#122 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28372 posts) -

@pc_rocks: These articles tend to be written to get the most sensationalist reaction from its audience. It’s not as click baity to say, two companies end deal early, amiccably.

Esp not when gamers have already decided who the “good” guy is and who the “bad” guy is. Meanwhile the “bad” guy let Bungie keep their IP, and took a ten year risk (8 now) on an untested idea and IP. Sounds to me like Activision had more to lose in this deal and gave Bungie the chance of a lifetime.

But hey, they’re the “bad” guys so what do i know.

#123 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28372 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: I’m patient. The stock will regain those loses in time. Could take awhile but I dont react irrationally to stock moves. Heck, that patience has made me break even or gained profit on stocks that were down for awhile and then went back up.

Adults are patient. So excuse me while I ignore your childish recommendation.

#124 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (28372 posts) -

@vfighter: Bungie indeed has money. But do they have the reaources to publish a game? That’s a whole other thing entirely. Can they dedicate all their cash to selling a game as well as making it?

#125 Posted by foxhound_fox (97768 posts) -

If they were sick of demands, they would have left before releasing the first Destiny and Activision sunk their dirty claws into that IP and turned it into a pay-to-win grind.

#126 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19278 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: an adult that makes a childish excuse to continue on investing Activision, yeah you're such a genius while I made a poor move to invest in Nintendo when their stock was down during the Wii U!

Bullshit, Activision relies fully on Call of Duty until the franchise is dried out. Activision has no other games to milk, and now that Destiny is gone, it will take too long for them to recover. You lost money, and will continue to lose until Activision can find another franchise to milk.

#127 Posted by VFighter (4498 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: Nice spin.

#128 Posted by KungfuKitten (26247 posts) -

I hope this works ^.^ Please make a good game without loot boxes <3