Bungie ditching Activision, will self-publish Destiny.

• 128 results
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46259 Posts

Great news. Didn't know you could go back from selling your soul to the devil.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

On one hand it's always good when a dev leaves Activision. On the other hand, Bungie fucking sucks, so I don't really care.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Destiny is a mediocre game at best. That is not on Activision, that is on Bungie.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Wait wasn't the deal for 10 years that includes '4 games'? Yes, 4 Games in addition to dlc's. Bungie so far had only released 2 games.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Telekill said:

@Bread_or_Decide: The gameplay is solid. The game being piece mealed is on Activision.

I love how gamers just shift the blame to fit their narrative. One company made the game. One company published the game.

This was done when Bungie was "free" from the tyranny of Microsoft and I doubt they would get into a deal where Activision could strong arm them.

Destiny is their franchise and it's their fault. Every step of the way.

It's easy to blame the big evil corporate target because gamers still wanna be all touchy feely about Bungie. But there's a plain and simple truth. They made the game. They get the blame. Because if the game had turned out amazing they would get all the credit.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: They were stupid for going with Activision, nobody is arguing that. But without going that route MS wasnt going to let them do Destiny, they would have been stuck making Halo for the last 8 years.

With that said are you really this dense? Again most of the issues with the game are THINGS ACTIVISION WANTED AND FORCED BUNGIE TO DO. Bungie was screwed over by them, any of this sinking in yet?

Tell me about all the meetings you sat in at Activision where you saw all this happening.

And please don't tell me you got all your "Facts" from tabloid trash youtubers.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: Of course refuse to understand the situation at hand and just keep creating your own narrative because you don't want to appear wrong, cool.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@jcrame10 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: If you dont think most of the problems that D1 and D2 had were because of Activision you're a special kind of stupid. Activision scrapped the story in D1 late in the games cycle causing major problems and Act also was the cause for removing content and selling it as dlc. They wanted microtransactions. Yes they dumped a lot of money into destiny but they also caused most of its problems. But even with Alums of that Bungie was stil able to put out two fun games that while not critically acclaimed are still played by a lot of gamers daily. Them leaving Activision is great news for the franchise.

And who's the special kind of stupid who made a ten year deal with activision? BUNGIE.

Jesus, you people. Bungie made the game. At the end of the day it's on them how it turned out. They signed the deal, they made the game, they're the developer.

In the gaming business world, an independent developer pitches a game idea to a publisher and signs a deal. In Bungie's case, they pitched the idea for Destiny and signed a decade long deal. Majority of publishers want some sort of say in the game as they're the one footing the bill. It generally takes a long time of partnership and trust between the two parties for the developer to have total creative control and freedom. The only publisher known to really allow their devs to do this is Sony with their own internal studios.

Having come off Halo Bungie certainly had more to bargain with. They weren't a helpless unknown studio. Hence why they got to keep the IP even if they left activision. This deal favored them. Hence keeping the IP. Hence the long term security on a new IP.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Of course refuse to understand the situation at hand and just keep creating your own narrative because you don't want to appear wrong, cool.

I'm sorry I'll take my mature level headed adult attitude elsewhere.

I'll speak your teenage language, CORPORATE EVIL BAD, ARTIST GAME MAKER GOOD! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

Feel better?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts

Depending how things go I may actually get back into Destiny 2 myself.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: I've always stated it was Activision. No blame shifting here.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: yeah, but it’s a well known fact activision took a lot of control in the direction of the game development- story, DLC, microtransactions. Since the main reason they broke away from MS was a lack of creative freedom and MS wanting them to keep making Halo games you have to wonder how they made the same mistake twice.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PC_Rocks

@jcrame10 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: If you dont think most of the problems that D1 and D2 had were because of Activision you're a special kind of stupid. Activision scrapped the story in D1 late in the games cycle causing major problems and Act also was the cause for removing content and selling it as dlc. They wanted microtransactions. Yes they dumped a lot of money into destiny but they also caused most of its problems. But even with Alums of that Bungie was stil able to put out two fun games that while not critically acclaimed are still played by a lot of gamers daily. Them leaving Activision is great news for the franchise.

And who's the special kind of stupid who made a ten year deal with activision? BUNGIE.

Jesus, you people. Bungie made the game. At the end of the day it's on them how it turned out. They signed the deal, they made the game, they're the developer.

In the gaming business world, an independent developer pitches a game idea to a publisher and signs a deal. In Bungie's case, they pitched the idea for Destiny and signed a decade long deal. Majority of publishers want some sort of say in the game as they're the one footing the bill. It generally takes a long time of partnership and trust between the two parties for the developer to have total creative control and freedom. The only publisher known to really allow their devs to do this is Sony with their own internal studios.

LMAO, do you cows really believe that or it's just SW's bragging?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#64 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Pedro said:

Seems like the Activision hate is glossing over Bungie mediocrity. Nice.

Its the typical black/white view of the world by people. Activision did all the bad things to Bungie and that's why Destiny stunk. Use Google and search for threads a month after D1 and D2 released. People shit on Bungie as well then. Now? DING DONG the witch is dead, the mean old witch, the Activision witch!!

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Shills all around.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#66  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

Its the typical black/white view of the world by people. Activision did all the bad things to Bungie and that's why Destiny stunk. Use Google and search for threads a month after D1 and D2 released. People shit on Bungie as well then. Now? DING DONG the witch is dead, the mean old witch, the Activision witch!!

Oh I don't really care about Bungie or Destiny. As I said, time will tell what they make of this new freedom.

I'm just giddy that someone told Activision to f*** off for once, as my follow-up post and update to the OP strongly suggested is what happened here.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 VFighter

@Bread_or_Decide: So even after being presented facts by multiple people you still stick with your wrong assumptions, yeah that's surely mature and level headed lol.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 VFighter

@cainetao11: Most people don't know what goes on behind the scenes so if something is wrong they blame the developer. Activision has a history is screwing over and ruining games and developers, most famously Infinity Ward and CoD.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@jcrame10 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: yeah, but it’s a well known fact activision took a lot of control in the direction of the game development- story, DLC, microtransactions. Since the main reason they broke away from MS was a lack of creative freedom and MS wanting them to keep making Halo games you have to wonder how they made the same mistake twice.

How is this a well-known fact? Things people say and rumors people spread are not well-known facts.

At this point it's a well known myth and perhaps hyperbolic lie.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Couldn't have happened to a better company I hate activision with a passion.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: So even after being presented facts by multiple people you still stick with your wrong assumptions, yeah that's surely mature and level headed lol.

I think you need to google what a fact is.

I haven't seen a single fact. Hearsay, conjecture, rumors, gamer myth. What indisputable fact has been presented?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@cainetao11: Most people don't know what goes on behind the scenes so if something is wrong they blame the developer. Activision has a history is screwing over and ruining games and developers, most famously Infinity Ward and CoD.

You admit it, people just make up what makes them feel better. They want activision to be evil, and thus let the confirmation bias commence. Despite Activision releasing plenty of great games and their relationship with Blizzard has never shown any sign of all this meddling. But hey, that doesn't fit your narrative, why bother bringing it up.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Bread_or_Decide

@cainetao11 said:
@Pedro said:

Meanwhile, Blizzard is doing just fine and nobody seems to give Activision any credit for their success.

I've gotta find a hobby not populated by angry teenagers. Perhaps once they reach a college level of education, or even better, graduate school level, they'll realize how foolishly they view the world.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@pc_rocks said:

Wait wasn't the deal for 10 years that includes '4 games'? Yes, 4 Games in addition to dlc's. Bungie so far had only released 2 games.

Activision, on their end, probably had a right to terminate the deal or end it early if they wish. I think they saw the Destiny train had died and nothing was going to save it. Lots of deals get made for several movies, books, games, etc but that's only if that sweet sweet coin keeps coming into the bank accounts of those publisher executives.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cainetao11

@vfighter said:

So if they have a history of this, why ever blame the dev? Just go with the "history". Stop dude. Its typical SW bullshit.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#76 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

2019 is gonna be a good year for gaming.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Bread_or_Decide

@cainetao11 said:
@vfighter said:

So if they have a history of this, why ever blame the dev? Just go with the "history". Stop dude. Its typical SW bullshit.

By history he means, lies youtubers and gamers spread and repeat until they're convinced it's true.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 cainetao11

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Pedro said:

Meanwhile, Blizzard is doing just fine and nobody seems to give Activision any credit for their success.

I've gotta find a hobby not populated by angry teenagers. Perhaps once they reach a college level of education, or even better, graduate school level, they'll realize how foolishly they view the world.

LOL right?

To be transparent, I don't like/dislike Activision, EA, Ubisoft, whoever. I play video games and understand that a corporation is made up of many different human beings with many different views on life, business etc. Many are just glad to have a job.

Your point is solid. Blizzard recently got shit for making a Diablo mobile game and its seems to be a reskin of some other mobile game. Other than that most people I know like Blizzard and their games and don't hate Activision. Do some practices suck? Sure, but some of the posting by people here sucks too. I don't hate them for it LOL

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Fedor

@cainetao11: Blizzard is not doing well at all. Wow is bleeding subs rapidly, overwatch is losing players and its esports scene was said to be a disappointment, high level execs jumping ship, devs being canned, Hots is dead, Diablo 3 playerbase is gone, Starcraft is dead everywhere except Korea, stocks dropping fast and not recovering, constant controversy. Even Hearthstone is in trouble. Not sure where you guys are getting your info when all this is well documented stuff.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#80 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Best news I've heard in a long time.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Bread_or_Decide

@fedor said:

@cainetao11: Blizzard is not doing well at all. Wow is bleeding subs rapidly, overwatch is losing players and its esports scene was said to be a disappointment, high level execs jumping ship, Hots is dead, Diablo 3 playerbase is gone, Starcraft is dead everywhere except Korea, stocks dropping fast and not recovering, constant controversy. Even Hearthstone is in trouble. Not sure where you guys are getting your info when all this is well documented stuff.

To be fair, the market's been hit hard lately due to tons of different issues. Which tends to compound issues that activision is having financially.

I'm not seeing a shortage of overwatch players. It's not as dire as you make it out to be. WOW does what wow always does, survive in the midst of MMO's being mostly dead. Although at least now you're actually talking about something that can be googled and found online, activisions market performance. Not 100% sure on all the assertions that so and so game is dead, seeing as there's no real definition for dead. A game loses two players and suddenly it's dead in the eyes of forum dwelling gamers.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 jcrame10

@pc_rocks: what other publisher does then?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Fedor

@Bread_or_Decide: No, it is as dire as I make it out to be. Do some research on the topic and get back to me. I actually play these games, have a wow sub, played competitive OW, participated in the D3 hardcore ladders. You don't, in fact you mock pc gamers on the regular. Blizz is hurting, period.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jcrame10

@Bread_or_Decide: https://youtu.be/cniftJbVyLw

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 VFighter

@Bread_or_Decide: Nice to see you're to stupid to actually look anything up and inform yourself, much easier to just keep spewing your shit.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Nice to see you're to stupid to actually look anything up and inform yourself, much easier to just keep spewing your shit.

Nice deflection.

Typical, when you have no facts and no defense left. But go ahead, continue the insults, that makes you seem very mature and intelligent.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Bread_or_Decide

@jcrame10 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: https://youtu.be/cniftJbVyLw

Please don't try to use lies.com as proof or facts of anything. There are no standards. No checks and balances. Too much bias. Too much click bait. People can find anything they want and twist it to their narrative.

Give me a trusted news source. Not little kids with cameras.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PC_Rocks

@jcrame10 said:

@pc_rocks: what other publisher does then?

I didn't make a claim like yours but in terms of self-publisher/developer: Valve. They don't even have a hierarchy. Nevertheless that was besides the point. Sony don't give the freedom to the devs just like other publishers. Sony's entire lineup is a proof and then that:

Uncharted started out as a fantasy game

"Gritty Xbox shooters" inspired new direction.

PlayStation 3 tentpole Uncharted started out life as a fantasy adventure, according to a former Naughty Dog employee.

Speaking in an interview with NowGamer, Don Poole, who worked as an environment modeler at the studio, revealed that Sony asked for a change of direction to take advantage of the "gritty shooter" boom on the Xbox 360.

"We were talking about a more 'realistic' game in terms of how it was modelled and rendered but the concepts were much more far out. One was a forest world where the antagonists lived underground. It had elements of Tolkien in for sure," he explained.

"Sony kept pushing for a more realistic game in all respects. The market had changed a lot by then. The demographic was older and gritty shooters were really dominating. Sony wanted very much to get into that market share, it pushed all of its developers in this direction."

"So the big push from Sony, not just at Naughty Dog but at all of Sony's development companies at the time, was to craft games for PlayStation 3 that were much more realistic. The pressure from Xbox's success with gritty shooters was a very real force on our direction at that time."

Apparently the suggestion wasn't met with universal enthusiasm from the studio's staff.

"We had a lot of internal grumbling about the realist bent. More of the old dogs were from the Crash and Jak era and preferred that more whimsical style. But alas, that was a losing battle."

Link

So much for Sony's creative freedom. Sucks to know one of your biggest franchise was born from the order by Sony to copy Gears.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By cainetao11

@fedor said:

@cainetao11: Blizzard is not doing well at all. Wow is bleeding subs rapidly, overwatch is losing players and its esports scene was said to be a disappointment, high level execs jumping ship, devs being canned, Hots is dead, Diablo 3 playerbase is gone, Starcraft is dead everywhere except Korea, stocks dropping fast and not recovering, constant controversy. Even Hearthstone is in trouble. Not sure where you guys are getting your info when all this is well documented stuff.

Funny, because I can still find people playing Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Overwatch, And give me a fvckin break with WoW. It wasn't going to be on top forever.

Now I never said Blizzard has ZERO problems. Only a decaying corpse has zero problems. Please show me where I did. What I do say is, the interest community of gamers are some of the most self entitled drama queens out there.

"Said to be a disappointment" LMAO as concrete as evidence comes. My buddy went to the finals at Barclays Center in Brooklyn and said it was fantastic. So I guess its "said to be fantastic". LOL

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Bread_or_Decide

@fedor said:

@Bread_or_Decide: No, it is as dire as I make it out to be. Do some research on the topic and get back to me. I actually play these games, have a wow sub, played competitive OW, participated in the D3 hardcore ladders. You don't, in fact you mock pc gamers on the regular. Blizz is hurting, period.

Found their third quarter 2018 power point presentation for investors on how well they did.

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/8229563c-2259-46c7-8acb-42ea074b896f

I cant' speak to player engagement, moneywise they're up.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Fedor

@cainetao11: "My friend said" lol

Activision/blizzard said it failed to meet expectations themselves so... D3 playerbase is dead, once again said by Activision/Blizzard. Look up their q3 2018 earnings call. Wow failing, Diablo failing, ow a disappointment, Hots dead.

You people need to stop talking out your asses.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Bungie got a lot of creative freedom, so its not going to make a difference.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Fedor

@Bread_or_Decide: Lol now try actually listening to the call. You're uninformed and its embarrassing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By cainetao11

@fedor said:

@cainetao11: "My friend said" lol

Activision/blizzard said it failed to meet expectations themselves so... D3 playerbase is dead, once again said by Activision/Blizzard. Look up their q3 2018 earnings call. Wow failing, Diablo failing, ow a disappointment, Hots dead.

You people need to stop talking out your asses.

And to quote Jim Sterling, "Failed to meet expectations is something most publishers say in the triple AAA games industry."

Battlfront 2 failed to meet expectations also. Does that mean they lost money on it?

How about you try and make me stop talking, period? Grow up buddy. The internet research isn't backing up your Dire claims.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Bread_or_Decide

@fedor said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Lol now try actually listening to the call. You're uninformed and its embarrassing.

I own their stock. I know how they're doing financially.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Fedor

@Bread_or_Decide: All that tells me is you have a conflict of interest. Your opinions are biased and irrelevant.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Fedor

@cainetao11: LMAO, you challenging me to a fight? Not only are you ignorant to the topic, you're also delusional.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By cainetao11

@fedor said:

@cainetao11: LMAO, you challenging me to a fight? Not only are you ignorant to the topic, you're also delusional.

LMAO you told me what to do So I came back with something as stupid to point out your stupididty

Who are you to tell anyone on an open forum what to do? So I challenge that idiocy with idiocy

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@fedor said:

@Bread_or_Decide: All that tells me is you have a conflict of interest. Your opinions are biased and irrelevant.

LOL, okay, way to move the goal post. Biased? Ummm, biased how? I also owned Nintendo stock.

Again, I am what you call an ADULT, I invest in things hoping to make money.

This is a forum where children squabble about things they don't understand. Not sure what bias I have, if they tank I lose money. My view point doesn't change whether or not their stock goes up or down. I also own EA stock. Now tell me another angry teenage thing about that, I have plenty of popcorn for this thread to keep going.

Conflict of interest...oh man...don't go using phrases you don't understand. Posting in a forum is now a conflict of interest because...ummmm what? I'm trying to trick people into making my stock go up or something? LOL. Dude stop while you're behind.

Blizzard is keeping most of activision afloat, of course as well as candy crush on the king's side of things.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Fedor

@cainetao11: Sure, you got a bit mad and played internet tough guy. Its ok, bud.