Bumper car simulators (GT *cough cough)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts

After getting a few good hours of playtime in with Forza 2, I hardly see the point in calling GT games 'the bumper car simulator' because the collisions in Forza seem to be pretty elastic to me. As other drivers collide into me, we both seem to bump off into somewhat opposing directions.

The graphics also suck too. The cars just don't seem nearly as detailed as they do in GT games.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
Um yeah... No one said Forza was really THAT realistic. And if they did, then um...
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts
I think you're a hermit that's trying to be a lemming who is really a cow.
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fignewton50
Member since 2003 • 3748 Posts

So you're saying Forza 2 in HD doesn't look as good as GT4 in SD? Also, when two things that are similar weight collide into each other, they usuall travel away from each other. Try throwing two basketballs at each other.

I think GT4 is called the bumper car simulator because there was never a performance, time, or damage penalty for ramming into other cars. Forza makes a decent attempt at accounting for this cheap tactic with penalties, damage, and better physics.

Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Kinitari
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts

So you're saying Forza 2 in HD doesn't look as good as GT4 in SD? Also, when two things that are similar weight collide into each other, they usuall travel away from each other. Try throwing two basketballs at each other.

I think GT4 is called the bumper car simulator because there was never a performance, time, or damage penalty for ramming into other cars. Forza makes a decent attempt at accounting this cheap tactic with penalties, damage, and better physics.

Fignewton50

Basketballs are made to -bounce- try throwing two bricks at each other - odds are they'll smash and crumble. Forza 2's physics are fine, you don't need to defend them, if they were TOO realistic cars would total whenever they collide going 120mph.
SoUtHhOlLiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoUtHhOlLiZ
Member since 2005 • 681 Posts

I think you're a hermit that's trying to be a lemming who is really a cow.ShaneBeck

good one

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PikaPichu

I think GT4 is called the bumper car simulator because there was never a performance, time, or damage penalty for ramming into other cars. Forza makes a decent attempt at accounting for this cheap tactic with penalties, damage, and better physics.

Fignewton50

I'm just comparing the details in the cars. Take the headlights for example. The ones in GT games look much more intricate and detailed than the ones in Forza.

GT4 also offered penalties for ramming into other cars.

blues3531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blues3531
Member since 2005 • 2632 Posts
that basketball comparison was horrible i lol'ed, try taking a physics class and ull learn about collisions and study car wrecks too, simple truth...you're wrong
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

sure they may not be uber realistic, but having them there is vital to the racing aspect of the game.

In GT if I slam into the guy infront of me. No big deal I loose a bit of time, but I can still race.

In Forza if I slam into the guy infront of me, We're both screwed. I probably broke something on my car, and my wind resistance is going to get higher. You probably effed up the guy you hit also which is going piss him off just like a real race.

Last thing I want to say is that if I'm not mistaken Forza doesn't even do "real" damage they just have different models/skins to mimick damage. That means you're making 10 or so different damage models for each car. If Forza put all that effort into 1 car model like GT did they'd easily have the best looking cars.

Also I can't wait till lemmings start saying that the PS3 isn't powerfull enough to do collisions in GT (it's totally untrue but funny to start).

Zero_Fate_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Zero_Fate_
Member since 2003 • 3448 Posts
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Complaining about Forza 2 yet again?

GT is good, but it is a game of bumper cars. I fly into a wall at 100 mph, and my car is in perfect condition. What gives?

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

I think you're a hermit that's trying to be a lemming who is really a cow.ShaneBeck

Definately a cow. I know from prior discussions. >_>

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PikaPichu

sure they may not be uber realistic, but having them there is vital to the racing aspect of the game.

In GT if I slam into the guy infront of me. No big deal I loose a bit of time, but I can still race.

In Forza if I slam into the guy infront of me, We're both screwed. I probably broke something on my car, and my wind resistance is going to get higher. You probably effed up the guy you hit also which is going piss him off just like a real race.

Last thing I want to say is that if I'm not mistaken Forza doesn't even do "real" damage they just have different models/skins to mimick damage. That means you're making 10 or so different damage models for each car. If Forza put all that effort into 1 car model like GT did they'd easily have the best looking cars.

Also I can't wait till lemmings start saying that the PS3 isn't powerfull enough to do collisions in GT (it's totally untrue but funny to start).

jrhawk42

Good points. I think serious racers (ie people who own these games) shouldn't even be slamming into other cars in the first place. Accidents happen, that's true, but features like these shouldn't be necessary to deter people from driving wrecklessly. Well, I suppose in a perfect world, that'd be true.

As for damage modelling, it seems like certain parts of the cars can fall off. Each part must have a separate skin or something to reflect the severity of the damage.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

PikaPichu

I'm just comparing the details in the cars. Take the headlights for example. The ones in GT games look much more intricate and detailed than the ones in Forza.

Forza has penalties for hitting other cars. Have you even played the game you're bashing? :|

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PikaPichu

GT is good, but it is a game of bumper cars. I fly into a wall at 100 mph, and my car is in perfect condition. What gives?

BioShockOwnz

I fly into a wall in Forza at a high speed (>60mph) and it still runs. :?

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PikaPichu
[QUOTE="PikaPichu"][QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

Ninja-Vox

Forza has penalties for hitting other cars. Have you even played the game you're bashing? :|

I never said it didn't. Being a little harsh on me don't you think? :?

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

jrhawk42

yeah... it's must be the ps3's "hidden power"... :roll:

until gt raises their quality to match Forza, they're still the bumper car kings...:)

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts
[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

I think GT4 is called the bumper car simulator because there was never a performance, time, or damage penalty for ramming into other cars. Forza makes a decent attempt at accounting this cheap tactic with penalties, damage, and better physics.

Kinitari

Basketballs are made to -bounce- try throwing two bricks at each other - odds are they'll smash and crumble. Forza 2's physics are fine, you don't need to defend them, if they were TOO realistic cars would total whenever they collide going 120mph.

You mean like they do on F1 on the ps3 a real racing sim or GTR2 rFactor on pc also real sims ??
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

PikaPichu

If you play the game on easy, your suspension will take a hit and you'll do damage to the front of the car, increasing your wind resistance and slowing you down. If you play on simulation, your car will be totalled and you'll be out of the race.

Again; do you have a genuine gripe or do you just want to bash an xbox game?

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PikaPichu
[QUOTE="PikaPichu"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Ninja-Vox

If you play the game on easy, your suspension will take a hit and you'll do damage to the front of the car, increasing your wind resistance and slowing you down. If you play on simulation, your car will be totalled and you'll be out of the race.

Um... I've just been playing the career mode on XBL and stick with whatever settings the hosts choose. Again, don't you thinking you're being a little harsh on me? (flaming?) :?

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="PikaPichu"][QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

PikaPichu

I never said it didn't. Being a little harsh on me don't you think? :?

you're being a little harsh on the truth don't you think?

forza does NOT have elastic collisions... that's ENTIRELY a GT feature....

then again, i think most readers already broke the code that you haven't really spent any time with Forza or forza 2 after that comment...;)

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

PikaPichu

I just want to make this point. Details in the graphics mean something to me. I think it meant that the dev put more time into the detial and what not. But to be honest when you trying to win a race who in the hell in their right mindis sitting there driving a car at 120, 150 miles an hour and stareing at the headlights saying "Wow those headlights could of gotten more detail." Come on really.

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts

GT5 has 1,000 cars

/thread

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts
Very good eye -IMO - nice call ! :)
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninja-Vox

Um... I've just been playing the career mode on XBL and stick with whatever settings the hosts choose. Again, don't you thinking you're being a little harsh on me? (flaming?) :?

PikaPichu

Point to where i flamed you by all means. :?

As for your "complaint" - you dont have one. If you play the game on simulation the crash damage is about as realistic as video games get. You can break your car's suspension, brakes, gearbox. And if you get into a big crash, you're out of the race altogether.

You can hardly whine about it if you're playing with no crash damage on. :?

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PikaPichu
[QUOTE="PikaPichu"][QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

xscrapzx

I just want to make this point. Details in the graphics mean something to me. I think it meant that the dev put more time into the detial and what not. But to be honest when you trying to win a race who in the hell in their right mindis sitting there driving a car at 120, 150 miles an hour and stareing at the headlights saying "Wow those headlights could of gotten more detail." Come on really.

Just settling an old argument (that Forza has better graphics than GT) is all. I'm mostly there to race. :)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
there are different levels of damage and if you wreck your car on the higher levels, race is over.
SoUtHhOlLiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SoUtHhOlLiZ
Member since 2005 • 681 Posts

this is my corvette after hitting another corvette at about 40- 50 mph. i kept driving into it a little, but that was to push it away. this is gameplay btw

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ninja-Vox

Just settling an old argument (that Forza has better graphics than GT) is all. I'm mostly there to race. :)

PikaPichu

Again, you're probably just going to complain that i'm being "way harsh" on you - but what old arguement? Who denies the fact that GT5 has better graphics than Forza 2? Nobody. That wasn't your point at all. You made this thread to say that "GT is like bumper cars" isn't fair - and it completely is.

When it turns out that it was, you just go off on one looking for reasons to pick at Forza.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="PikaPichu"][QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

PikaPichu

Look when theGT comes out. Then I think you can actually sit there, and compare. The OFFICIAL game is what counts, not the demo, not this, not that. The OFFICIAL game that gets rated by gamespot will be the game that I sit there, and will compare the differences. Other than that I really don't want to hear about a forza to gt comparison. For the record Forza is damn good game with good graphics. The game might not be this mind blowing game of the century for racing sims, but you know what it looks pretty damn sweet on my HD tv, and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PikaPichu
[QUOTE="PikaPichu"]

Ninja-Vox

Point to where i flamed you by all means. :?

As for your "complaint" - you dont have one. If you play the game on simulation the crash damage is about as realistic as video games get. You can break your car's suspension, brakes, gearbox. And if you get into a big crash, you're out of the race altogether.

You can hardly whine about it if you're playing with no crash damage on. :?

Definately a cow. I know from prior discussions. >_>
Ninja-Vox

Ninja-Vox

Ninja-Vox

I don't have a thick skin and find those comments insulting. :cry:

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice

Quote "Just settling an old argument (that Forza has better graphics than GT) is all. I'm mostly there to race.

Look when theGT comes out. Then I think you can actually sit there, and compare. The OFFICIAL game is what counts, not the demo, not this, not that. The OFFICIAL game that gets rated by gamespot will be the game that I sit there, and will compare the differences. Other than that I really don't want to hear about a forza to gt comparison. For the record Forza is damn good game with good graphics. The game might not be this mind blowing game of the century for racing sims, but you know what it looks pretty damn sweet on my HD tv, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. "

But it's so hard for him to wait till mid 2009 before GT5 makes it out as a demo - ooops I mean game ! ;)

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ninja-Vox
Flaming is when somebody says "you're an idiot" or "shut up moron". It's uncalled for. Me questioning whether you have a genuine point or whether you're just a fanboy looking to bash an xbox game is not flaming. Sorry.
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PikaPichu
[QUOTE="PikaPichu"]

Ninja-Vox

Again, you're probably just going to complain that i'm being "way harsh" on you - but what old arguement? Who denies the fact that GT5 has better graphics than Forza 2? Nobody. That wasn't your point at all. You made this thread to say that "GT is like bumper cars" isn't fair - and it completely is.

When it turns out that it was, you just go off on one looking for reasons to pick at Forza.

I was just addressing his post. If I start going off on tangents, then I apologize. I can make a new thread about it if you'd like. Believe it or not, I've always thought these things about Forza and, now that I own the game, I have something solid to back my claims with.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

After getting a few good hours of playtime in with Forza 2, I hardly see the point in calling GT games 'the bumper car simulator' because the collisions in Forza seem to be pretty elastic to me. As other drivers collide into me, we both seem to bump off into somewhat opposing directions.

The graphics also suck too. The cars just don't seem nearly as detailed as they do in GT games.

PikaPichu

GT 5 Damage modeling comfirmed, look it up. You can use google, Wiki, anything, you'll find it.

whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts

Uhhh...What is Newtons 3rd law again...?

Oh right, I remember now. Of course when you get hit your car is going to move! The point of the bumper car argument is not THAT the cars move after being hit, it's that the hitting has no consequence. Thus, you are just bouncing around everywhere all day, and it in no way simulates real life. In Forza, hitting causes damage, the harder the hit, the more damage caused.

Oh, and Forza doesn't look as good as GT games? I'm about the biggest GT fan on the planet, but I'm not going to sit idly by and let you claim that Forza doesn't look better than GT4. Don't bring in GTHD, it's not a game...and even if you consider it one, then you are saying that 10 cars and 1 track is more "detailed" than Forza.

marioblah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 marioblah
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts
No car game thats fun will probably have realistic damge. If they did, running into a wall at 15 mph would probably stop the car. It actually doesn't take much to stop a car. Cars are MADE so that they get crushed easily.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
i'd rather have a bumper car simulator then crazy damage that very unrealistic
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PikaPichu

Flaming is when somebody says "you're an idiot" or "shut up moron". It's uncalled for. Me questioning whether you have a genuine point or whether you're just a fanboy looking to bash an xbox game is not flaming. Sorry.Ninja-Vox

Of course I believe my points are genuine - most of my GT/Forza threads and replies are full of them. Questioning whether I own or have played something and labeling me as cow is insulting to me.

legalize3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 legalize3
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

personally i take incar vieuw over unrealistic damage even more in a driving simulator its not a crash simulator ill buy burnout for that.....

this is what most heck all gt fans thinks, not the crashes or whatever its the realistic driving head to the gt forum and you will know what im talking about....

gt is the best driving simulator that comes close to how a car actinreal -life and thats what gt is all about... its not like lets see im going to hit the wall 100km and see what happens NO

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="PikaPichu"]

PikaPichu

I was just addressing his post. If I start going off on tangents, then I apologize. I can make a new thread about it if you'd like. Believe it or not, I've always thought these things about Forza and, now that I own the game, I have something solid to back my claims with.

Fine but... You are defending GT5 b/c you played Forza2 -when GT5 is not yet a playable game avail. for all to compare.

You see where that may have some questioning you're sincerity?

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

I don't want a demolition derby Jagza.

I want to feel the luxary of the car, the beauty of it through photorealistic graphics. And I never crash anyways.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PikaPichu
[QUOTE="PikaPichu"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="PikaPichu"]

SecretPolice

Fine but... You are defending GT5 b/c you played Forza2 -when GT5 is not yet a playable game avail. for all to compare.

You see where that may have some questioning you're sincerity?

I was trying to refer to GT and Forza games in general. I tried not to mention GT5 specifically in any of my posts.

whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts

i'd rather have a bumper car simulator then crazy damage that very unrealisticRagashahs

What exactly is unrealistic about Forza's damage? The extent of it is not true to life, but the type and cause of it is extremely realistic.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PikaPichu

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i'd rather have a bumper car simulator then crazy damage that very unrealisticwhoisryanmack

What exactly is unrealistic about Forza's damage? The extent of it is not true to life, but the type and cause of it is extremely realistic.

I hoping he means that it isn't realistic enough.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

i'd rather have a bumper car simulator then crazy damage that very unrealisticRagashahs

That makes sense. :|

Give kids the impression that when you fly into a wall at 100mph, there are no real life consequences. :|

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

personally i take incar vieuw over unrealistic damage even more in a driving simulator its not a crash simulator ill buy burnout for that.....

this is what most heck all gt fans thinks, not the crashes or whatever its the realistic driving head to the gt forum and you will know what im talking about....

gt is the best driving simulator that comes close to how a car actinreal -life and thats what gt is all about... its not like lets see im going to hit the wall 100km and see what happens NO

legalize3
I know GT5 pro won't have damage but GT5 will if I remember right and most games on live have collisions turned off anyway to stop hidiots from using your car as a brake.