Bully 2 our topic title must have at least 10 characters. Your topic title must have at least 10 characters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 35482 Posts

Oh wells, first game had a unique idea, but wasn't that great.

Rockstar’s Bully 2 ‘fizzled out’ after ’18 months of development’

PLANNED SEQUEL ‘WAS PLAYABLE, BUT NEVER GOT OFF THE GROUND’, SOURCES CLAIM

Rockstar New England spent more than a year working on a sequel to 2006 fan favourite Bully in the early 2010s, going as far as to create a playable build with basic open-world gameplay, VGC understands.

Rockstar co-founder Dan Houser and a handful of his most trusted developers wrote a script for Bully as early as 2008, which contained the first few scenes and an outline of the rest of the story, according to sources with knowledge of development.

The story starred Jimmy, hero of the first game, and featured many returning characters. It began at Jimmy’s step-dad’s house in the summer at the end of a school year, the source said, which corroborates anonymous claims reported by Bully YouTuber SWEGTA.

A second well-placed source told VGC the team never decided where the full story would take Jimmy, and that depicting some of his time back in education, perhaps at school or college, was one option being discussed.

A few years later, sometime between Red Dead Redemption’s release in May 2010 and the end of 2013, a team at Rockstar New England spent between a year and 18 months building out the concept, the second source said.

This was primarily led by the art team, including Drew Medina, who at the time was principal artist at Rockstar New England, and Steven Olds, who was Rockstar New York’s visualisation director during the development of the original Bully. Both were contacted for this piece, but neither responded.

The second source said the work culminated in a playable version of Bully 2 described as a “very small slice” of the game, complete with simplistic open-world gameplay. It was built using the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE), the same engine used for Grand Theft Auto 4 and 5, Max Payne 3, and both Red Dead Redemption games.

Despite that progress, Bully 2 never built momentum and “fizzled out”, the source said. The team were moved onto other projects.

“It existed, it was playable, it was just a shame it never got off the ground,” they said. Many developers that worked at Rockstar New England during the time period list an “unannounced game” on their CVs.

Rockstar declined to comment on this story.

This isn’t the first we’ve heard of a Bully sequel: as well as the comments reported by SWEGTA, a music composer appeared to confirm Bully 2 in late 2009, and Dan Houser later hinted the studio wasn’t finished with the series.

Speaking to Gamasutra at the time Houser said there was “no impetus” for a sequel immediately after Bully’s release, but that the company would “see what we can do with [it]” after Max Payne 3.

“We knew that we didn’t want to start doing the Bully sequel instantly at that second with those guys — even though it is a property that, like Max, we adore and might come back to in the future. There was just no impetus to do that then.

“So we said, ‘You can do Max, and then we will see what we can do with Bully.’ So it was really waiting for the slot to open up and the group to open up to at least start work on it.”

It has been suggested that Rockstar could explore Bully 2 again in the future, but our sources were not able to confirm if the sequel is again in active development.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 10706 Posts

The only interesting thing come out to rockstar open world is Red dead. and its only because of western setting.

I played Bully and it just flatout suck.

Rockstar only need to make Max payne 4.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3170 Posts

So if Bully 2 is out of the picture I assume the next Rockstar game will be GTA 6 for next gen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup  Online

@warmblur said:

So if Bully 2 is out of the picture I assume the next Rockstar game will be GTA 6 for next gen.

Make sense, far more money in the pot.

@ghosts4ever said:

The only interesting thing come out to rockstar open world is Red dead. and its only because of western setting.

Na.

Loading Video...

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 12833 Posts

Played Bully to the bitter end, and the game was bad, so I'm glad they never made a sequel.

At this point R* are a 2 trick pony (GTA & RDR) and even those games are bad.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1141 Posts

Bully sucked to be honest.

The timed school days was annoying. Running from hall monitors/teachers was annoying.

The mini games to level up skills or whatever sucked.

It was a frustrating experience the whole way through.

Yes, it had a decent story, some cool characters and some humour. The music was alright too.

But man the gameplay sucked and I don’t wish to ever see a sequel.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3170 Posts

I wish Rockstar had the guts to make Manhunt 3 can you imagine the outrage especially in these times it would be hilarious politicians would be creaming themselves and SJW's would be hysterical it would be glorious.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup  Online

Rockstar became the thing they use to criticise.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4217 Posts

I liked the original game, but I could never pass biology class due to the twisty Wii controls! 👀

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5344 Posts

Bully was skool daze for ungrateful millennials. I mean it was okay but, meh.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5092 Posts

@warmblur said:

It's not necessarily out of the picture. This is just about the first attempt at a sequel fizzling out last gen.

Hopefully R* won't just make a GTA VI for the new platforms and PC then call it a gen.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@warmblur said:

@ghosts4ever said:

Na.

Loading Video...

Played Vice city when i was a kid. hated it back then. still hated it now.

its awful. but it was so popular among kids back then.

only fun is roaming around and using cheatcodes to fly a car. main missions just flatout suck.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever
@i_p_daily said:

Played Bully to the bitter end, and the game was bad, so I'm glad they never made a sequel.

you should try max payne 3. that game show rockstar are super talented but choose not to be.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51299 Posts

Shame. Bully is one of Rockstar's best.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19357 Posts

Bully had something special, but it needed refinement. A modern sequel would've been awesome. Shame.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 12833 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

you should try max payne 3. that game show rockstar are super talented but choose not to be.

You're biased towards Max Payne so your opinion is invalid.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@warmblur said:

@ghosts4ever said:

Na.

Loading Video...

Played Vice city when i was a kid. hated it back then. still hated it now.

its awful. but it was so popular among kids back then.

only fun is roaming around and using cheatcodes to fly a car. main missions just flatout suck.

Sadly, Max Payne was both short and very repetitive. It has no mission design, the player essentially just shoot men over and over with the same 5 lines as, with most Remedy games, they have a single idea over-stretched with no meat on it's bones.

Vice City is cultural masterpiece with probably the best remote control helicopter mission in any product to date.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 25 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: Ofcourse not .... they'll keep adding new microtransactions to it

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4163 Posts

I really like Bully. At this point they should do a reboot not a sequel.

Story, characters, and setting were all way more memorable than GTA. The game just lacked polish.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36227 Posts

They stopped development the better half of a decade ago, so if they do ever revisit the IP it'll likely be a fresh take. Doubt they'd touch it though, seems these days Rockstar only wants to play the slow game with big IPs.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3407 Posts

I thought they cancelled the project and moved onto GTA 6.