Build your racing rig for $20! This post shows you how! (56k warning)

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts

Hello my System Wars friends and enemies!!!!

To celebrate Thanksgiving (and to give you something to do on your days off), and the long awaited release of GT5, as well as the release of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and other fine racing titles, I am posting detailed instructions on how to build a PVC racing rig for roughly $20 (provided you don't need to buy a handsaw like I did). Although us racing gamers tend to battle each other pretty hard on this forum, I wanted to give you all a little present incase you are looking at getting deeper into the hobby by purchasing a steering wheel and building your own little rig for it. Building a good rig can be challenging, but since I've done all the work for you it should be much easier! (Btw, to the mods, if this thread is too off topic for SW I apologize and I would like it moved to the proper location)

Here's a picture of what we are going to build (any images you see can be clicked on to make them bigger)...

CLICK HERE TO SEE A VIDEO OF MY RIG IN ACTION

Before you proceed, please understand that I am 6 feet tall so the height of my rig is based off how comfortable I am with the wheel while sitting in a chair. If you are shorter or taller you may have to adjust your dimensions. Also, this is a VERY basic rig, and I know it's not the sexiest thing in the world but it most definitely gets the job done. You can drive the roughest rally tracks in Dirt 2 and not have to worry about the thing shaking like a T.V. tray or falling apart on you! Also, I spent a lot of time making the exploded view below because it's going to help you A LOT when it comes to putting this thing together!

Estimated Build time (not including trip to hardware store): 1-3 hours depending on available tools.

Estimated Cost (not including wheel): $15-$30

TIME TO GO SHOPPING!!

The first thing you will have to do is buy your PVC from your local hardware store. Luckily for you I have created a small shopping list with images so when I say you need something and I mess up the name you can just look at the picture and find the pieces you need real easy. Ok, so without further delay, here are the PVC items you will need to purchase.

20 FEET of ONE INCH PVC pipe. (If you cut everything perfectly it will use 19.29 feet of PVC pipe, you may want more than 20 feet.)

FOUR 45 degree couplers. (this will be called Connector 1, all connectors will attach to the 1 inch PVC)

SIX 90 degree couplers WITH threaded hole on top. (This will be called Connector 3)

SIX single end couplers WITH threads. (this will be called connector 2, all of these will thread into the threaded hole for all of the connector 3's) Here's what these "connector" pieces look like..

One piece of wood or similar hard material that will be roughly 21.5" x 11.875" in size. (I found a cheap piece of rigid particle board stuff, 2 for $4. This is what the steering wheel will sit on. Don't use soft materials like foam board, eventually it will wear out and the wheel will become loose over time.)

Hand-saw (You may already have this, but if you're a fresh college grad like me and you have no tools, oh, and you're too poor to buy a electric saw because you spent all your money on video games you definitely wanna pick one of these up!) This one worked well for me...

TIME TO CUT SOME PVC!

Once you have arrived home from the hardware store it is time to start cutting up that PVC! As always be extremely careful cutting the PVC, if you are using a power tool to cut the PVC you may want to wear safety glasses. Now you may be wondering just how in the world are you going to cut this PVC so you have a nice rigid rig for that awesome steering wheel you just purchased. LUCKILY for you I have measured all of the pieces on my rig so you can use my dimensions. I am going to list different pieces of PVC and organize them with letters, this will help me show you how to assemble the different pieces together. (Remember that exploded view up top? Now would be a nice time to pull it out.)

Make TWO 18 inch pieces and label them "A"

Make TWO 26.25 inch pieces and label them "B"

Make TWO 3 inch pieces and label them "C"

Make TWO 23.125 inch pieces and label them "D"

Make TWO 28.625 pieces and label them "E"

Make TWO 7.75 inch pieces and label them "F"

Make ONE 18 inch piece and label it "G"

After everything is cut you should have something like this....

Here's that exploded view again to show you how all this is going together (open both images in a new tab/window for a better view)...

TIME FOR ASSEMBLY!

Well the hardest part is done, that wasn't so bad right?! Now that you have all of your PVC cut it is finally time to start putting it together!

Grab the pieces marked "A" and the pieces marked "B" as well as FOUR "Connector 3" pieces. Take one of the "A" pieces, and then two "connector 3" pieces. Put one connector on one end of piece "A" and the other connector on the other end. Do this for the other "A" piece. Be sure the threaded hole on the connectors are facing the same direction. In other words, if that piece is on the floor have the threaded holes facing the ceiling.

Now you are going to take the "B" pieces and connect them with pieces you assembled above. You will be making a rectangle and when these pieces are placed together on the ground you should have something that looks like this....

You should have the threaded holes of "connector 3" facing upwards. Next, we are going to thread "connector 2" into those threaded holes on "connector 3" like so....

Do this for all 4 connectors and make sure they are in as tight as possible. Now your rig should look like this....

Now we are going to install both "C" pieces on the left (or front) of the rig. Take the "C" pieces and put them in the two "connector 2" pieces on the left. Like this....

so it looks like this...

Next we are going to put in the "D" pieces. Slide the "D" pieces into the remaining "connector 2" pieces. The rig should now look like this...

Now that you have the "D" pieces installed, we need to add our remaining "connector 2" and "connector 3" pieces on top of the "D" pieces. Thread the remaining "connector 2" pieces into the remaining "connector 3" pieces. Once you have done this install these connectors on top of the "D" pieces. Two of the open holes should be facing each other, while the other two are facing the "C" pieces. Here's a few pictures to show you what I mean.

Now that you have those connectors installed, it's time to install piece "G". Here's a picture to help you find out where to put "G"...

Now your rig should look like this....

For the next step we are now going to use those 45 degree pieces, called "connector 1". Take two "connector 1" pieces and slide them on top of the "C" pieces. Like this...

Now the rig is like this...

Now take the "E" pieces and slide them into the "connector 1" pieces you just put on piece "C". The rig will now look like this....

Take your remaining "connector 1" pieces and put them on the end of those new "E" pieces. Like this...

Almost done! Take the "F" pieces and put them in the end of the new "connector 1" pieces. Now take the other end of the "F" pieces and slide them into the open holes on both "connector 3" pieces. You may notice in the picture above that things aren't going to line up properly. Don't worry, it'll fit and everything will be nice and tight. Here's proof....

The rig will now look like this....

Before you continue, you may want to take a hammer and carefully hit the "connector" pieces to make sure everything is fitting nice and tight. You DON'T want your rig coming apart as you are fighting that steering wheel do you? If everything was cut correctly it should fit tight enough to where you don't need to use any glue or clamps to hold the rig together.

Now the last major thing to do is install the board that the steering wheel will sit on. You can use the clamps from your steering wheel (if yours has clamps, my Driving Force GT does!) to hold the board to the PVC pipe so essentially you don't need any tape or glue to hold this board down. Here's what mine looks like...

Now just install the steering wheel like this and....

...try to make sure those clamps are touching as much of the PVC as possible. Now just tighten them as much as you can so the wheel stays in one place and holds that board down tight. Your rig should now look like this....

The last thing to do is lay a small board across both "B" pieces near the front of the rig so if you jerk on the wheel really hard the rig won't come off the ground.

Now just get a comfy chair, put the pedals in place, and you're good to go!

Congratulations! I hope this build was fun and not too difficult. I spent many hours planning this out and it took a few tries getting the height right on the rig. Funny thing is it took just as long to write this blog as it did to build the rig the first time. You can obviously paint yours and add your own little touches but hopefully this will get you on your way to having fun with that new wheel and GT5, or any other awesome racing game.

I've played Dirt 2, F1 2010, and GT5: Prologue with this rig and it has done really well for me.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible (although I'm going to sleep and I work 8 hours today so....).

I hope you enjoyed my post and I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

We may be divided one way or another, but I'm thankful we all have something in common!

See you at the races!

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

wow, thanks for putting in the time to make the tutorial. Unfortunately I have no wheel as of current :(, but I intend on buying a driving force GT, may build this rig for when Im not at uni, cheers again. :)

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jrfanfreak88

wow, thanks for putting in the time to make the tutorial. Unfortunately I have no wheel as of current :(, but I intend on buying a driving force GT, may build this rig for when Im not at uni, cheers again. :)

_Matt_
Well if you get a wheel while at University the rig is PVC so you can break it down in half pretty easily and store it in a closet or something. Finding a spot for the wheel and pedals is the hard part though haha.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Or just put it on a desk.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

pvc pipes have alot of wobble in them tho

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
pretty sweet! but i dont have enough room in my bedroom for it :P Dualshock 3 for me!! but sweet tut..looks awesome.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 inggrish

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

Jrfanfreak88

Well if you get a wheel while at University the rig is PVC so you can break it down in half pretty easily and store it in a closet or something. Finding a spot for the wheel and pedals is the hard part though haha.

I have a perfect desk for the job while I am at uni :)

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jrfanfreak88
Or just put it on a desk.ferret-gamer
*looks at sig* yeahhh that would work for a pc gamer, but I use my living room tv with my PS3 so that's not an option.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Or just put it on a desk.Jrfanfreak88
*looks at sig* yeahhh that would work for a pc gamer, but I use my living room tv with my PS3 so that's not an option.

But essentially building a cheap school desk in the middle of your living room does work for you?
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jrfanfreak88

pvc pipes have alot of wobble in them tho

ultraking
Not 1 inch pipes, which is what I'm using. Plus, the way the rig is constructed it's very solid. It only moves side to side a little bit, which is expected with how much force you have to use on the Driving Force GT wheel. When you're playing Dirt 2 and you are rotating the wheel like a mad man and you don't even notice the rig moving on you then you know it's good lol. At one point (before I got bored of the game) I was in the top 2% in the world for F1 2010 using this wheel and this rig.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jrfanfreak88
[QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Or just put it on a desk.ferret-gamer

But essentially building a cheap school desk in the middle of your living room does work for you?

Yeah because I can put it away real easy or break it down in 5 seconds and take it with me when my friends and I do some racing together.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Or just put it on a desk.ferret-gamer

um whats so hard to understand? yes? what do you expect him to do bring his computer desk over? build a 1000 dollar pc to play PC racing games decent? He gave a pretty good tutorial that was easy to understand and let you build a pretty comfy rancing platform for us console people and your poo pooing all of it for no real reason.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jrfanfreak88
well guys I'm going to bed, gotta be at work in less than 7 hours. I hope you like the tutorial, I'll try to answer any questions you might have later today when I'm free!
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Thanks a ton for posting this Jr :D. When I first read the thread title, I was like, "Yeah, right!" But then I realized you weren't including the price of the wheel :| :P.

I'll bookmark this page, for when / if I ever decide to get a wheel. Man, they're expensive...

Edit: Hey, can you recommend the best wheel to buy? :)

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jrfanfreak88
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] um whats so hard to understand? yes? what do you expect him to do bring his computer desk over? build a 1000 dollar pc to play PC racing games decent? He gave a pretty good tutorial that was easy to understand and let you build a pretty comfy rancing platform for us console people and your poo pooing all of it for no real reason.

lol hey it wouldn't be system wars without someone thinking the thread creator was crazy am I right? I should have probably noted in the original post that I live in a pretty small and cheap apartment so yeah no real room for a desk.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jrfanfreak88

Thanks a ton for posting this jr :D. When I first read the thread title, I was like, "Yeah, right!" But then I realized you weren't including the price of the wheel :| :P.

I'll bookmark this page, for when / if I ever decide to get a wheel. Man, they're expensive...

Episode_Eve
They are expensive BUT it really does make racing games so much more enjoyable. Of course you could always do what I did and put the wheel on your Christmas list...... :)
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Thanks for this, I need to get a stand for my wheel when I play on 360. On pc I am fine, but not for console. Isn't this really wobbly though with just pvc?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WilliamRLBaker

Thanks a ton for posting this Jr :D. When I first read the thread title, I was like, "Yeah, right!" But then I realized you weren't including the price of the wheel :| :P.

Episode_Eve

Logitech Driving force gt ps3

you get what you pay for.

Official 360 racing wheel wireless

it can still be found new places though it seems Microsoft is phasing it out, and no matter what you hear the latest editions work great.

Madcatz has a wireless one for the 360 from what I hear but its not nearly as good.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WilliamRLBaker
Thanks for this, I need to get a stand for my wheel when I play on 360. On pc I am fine, but not for console. Isn't this really wobbly though with just pvc?JigglyWiggly_
I noticed that it looks like it might be wobbly. It could use with some cross members maybe on the exterior sloped part for strenght as well you could possible add a straight pvc peice just above the legs for a little more stability.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jrfanfreak88
Thanks for this, I need to get a stand for my wheel when I play on 360. On pc I am fine, but not for console. Isn't this really wobbly though with just pvc?JigglyWiggly_
Not 1 inch PVC, that stuff is pretty rigid, and the key is to make sure you push the pvc into those connectors tightly. I gently tap the PVC with a hammer to make sure everything is tight (I usually do this hammer thing once every month just to be safe). As long as it's tight then the rig will sway only a tad, but as I mentioned before, I've played F1 2010, Dirt 2, and GT5 Prologue for hours with this set up and never had an issue with stability. Also be sure to put a small board over the bottom "B" pieces of PVC to add some weight to the rig so when you jerk on the wheel the rig doesn't move around easily. As long as you do that you'll be good. The rig will sway left or right but it's only like a quarter of an inch so you won't really notice it. I guess I may need to upload a video of me using it...look for that when I'm off work later tonight. I gotta run though, haven't slept yet and work is less than 7 hours away lol.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 inggrish

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

WilliamRLBaker

it can still be found new places though it seems Microsoft is phasing it out, and no matter what you hear the latest editions work great.

Madcatz has a wireless one for the 360 from what I hear but its not nearly as good.

hmm, I can usually find the official 360 steering wheels in abundance in quite a lot of stores that Iv been in, here in the UK.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JigglyWiggly_

The 360 wheel is meh, go to insidesim racing on youtube and look at their review. They are bosses on sims, they did love the driving force gt though.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
Wow, thanks for showin' me how to put together some PVC pipe, really useful tutorial.
ordinarydot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ordinarydot
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts
man.. i approve this :p it's looks cool!
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jrfanfreak88

The 360 wheel is meh, go to insidesim racing on youtube and look at their review. They are bosses on sims, they did love the driving force gt though.

JigglyWiggly_
I really like my Driving Force GT, but for anyone that wants to use a clutch you'll need to upgrade to something like a Logitech G25 I think.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Nice tute. I have my desk and if I'm on a couch, one of those lap things from an older logitech wheel.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

JigglyWiggly_
What the hell else are you gonna do though? It's not like there are other affordable, decent options (or good, expensive ones). And as mentioned it's being phased out, so it's barely an option either. Microsoft are being ****oles. It's stupid how there is no third party force feedback wheel for 360. Would be great if the G25 would have 360 support so I could justify purchasing one. But nope, Microsoft had to go and be ****oles.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#30 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
Or just put it on a desk.ferret-gamer
lol i was thinking the same thing
anotherone10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 anotherone10
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts

I just hook my wheel up to a coffee table or ironing board lol :P

But great thread :)

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

wow, nice job, my big complaint with wheels(other than they end up dusty in a closet) is that it's so hard to find the sweet spot.

coffee tables are too low and your lap is too unstable.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

wow, nice job, my big complaint with wheels(other than they end up dusty in a closet) is that it's so hard to find the sweet spot.

Riverwolf007

Get one of this. ;)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Won't one of this work just as well as that PVC?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Not sure its the most surdiest thing in the world but should do the trick.
3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

TC your setup reminds of this piece(see link)which seems a little bit studier but it also $60(was $50 last week when I checked). I just bought the wheelstandpro($129) because I wanted my pedals to be mounted also. Good work TC for those who are handy with tools. I have the same wheel as you also(Driving Force GT).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steering-Wheel-Stand-Logitech-Driving-Force-GT-/360253569505?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item53e0c939e1

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

WilliamRLBaker

Thanks will :).

P.S. I had a McRib for the first time last week, and I'm in love :P.

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
You know if I didn't already have the Forza racing seat I would totally make this. Excellent tutorial for those who need it!
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I built something similar a couple of years ago, but it's built from wood and doubles as tabletop for my KB & M

I've since restained it, put a polyurethane coating on it and added a nice piece of glass. I love it.

I'm ready for GT 5 dammit.

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

Well this is very interesting... Saved for future reference! :)

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Although I'd never see myself purchasing a racing wheel, that's pretty inventive. :)

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

_Matt_

Is that the newest wheel? I have to look into getting a Logitec wheel.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

Episode_Eve

Thanks will :).

P.S. I had a McRib for the first time last week, and I'm in love :P.

One of us! one Of us!!! Another Mc rib Warrior!!!

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

jun_aka_pekto

Get one of this. ;)

zomg I need that.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jrfanfreak88

I built something similar a couple of years ago, but it's built from wood and doubles as tabletop for my KB & M

I've since restained it, put a polyurethane coating on it and added a nice piece of glass. I love it.

I'm ready for GT 5 dammit.

heretrix

Dude that looks really good! Maybe you need to post a tutorial? ;)

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jrfanfreak88

I noticed that it looks like it might be wobbly. It could use with some cross members maybe on the exterior sloped part for strenght as well you could possible add a straight pvc peice just above the legs for a little more stability.WilliamRLBaker
Not sure its the most surdiest thing in the world but should do the trick.JohnF111
Click this link to see my rig being used. You'll see the wobble, but it doesn't hurt the gameplay at all.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jrfanfreak88

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

Ravenlore_basic

Is that the newest wheel? I have to look into getting a Logitec wheel.

It's not the newest but it is one of the cheapest. It's a great wheel!
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jrfanfreak88

TC your setup reminds of this piece(see link)which seems a little bit studier but it also $60(was $50 last week when I checked). I just bought the wheelstandpro($129) because I wanted my pedals to be mounted also. Good work TC for those who are handy with tools. I have the same wheel as you also(Driving Force GT).

3rdbass
Hrm....maybe I could just do this for a living! It would surely beat working my retail job all day haha.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
If you gonna do a racing wheel setup, you gotta do it Right
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jrfanfreak88

Won't one of this work just as well as that PVC?

jun_aka_pekto

Tried 3 different tv trays, none of them were sturdy enough for the wheel. Plus, some trays like the ones in your picture have legs that aren't really far apart so using pedals is a pain.