St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 St_Monica
Member since 2020 • 946 Posts

XV is one of the most controversial titles in the FF series, but I really enjoyed it. It's a game with various flaws and not necessarily for everyone, but its visuals and music alone are worth a look.

I hope this will give momentum to Forspoken, which the same team is currently developing for PS5/PC. What do you think, SW?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7169 Posts

Think I paid like 6-7euroa for the windows edition, dropped it in bout 2 hours

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18917 Posts

Heavily disappointing game. A perfect example of why you can't just throw "open world" into the mix without designing decent mechanics to support it.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 3323 Posts

Sad that the FF series has still never been able to achieve the sales of FF7 13 million record. Guess people just aren’t into the series like they use to be.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 30653 Posts

Always annoying when a shitty game sells millions.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 St_Monica
@mesome713 said:

Sad that the FF series has still never been able to achieve the sales of FF7 13 million record. Guess people just aren’t into the series like they use to be.

Well, to be fair, it's been available on GamePass and PS Plus Collection, so it's probably played by as many people as FF7.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 6735 Posts

Thought it was alright myself.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2353 Posts

This game most probably had a budget 10 times bigger than Nier Automata and the latter is at 6 million or so.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 14292 Posts

Really fun game I enjoyed it a lot but its really a case of what could have been had the devs able to finish the game before release. Still bit mad we never got the most important episode, episode Luna.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 7036 Posts

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14321 Posts

Soooo, I actually liked it but you can tell it pulled a Xenogears in the last quarter of the game. So many things left unexplained, rushed, or forgotten. Tons of potential though.

Excited to see if they can boil some of the things down in FFXVI and really make a great game.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 18806 Posts

Doodoo, glad I only paid $20

How can they still have that voice acting from Dino in 2016, the battles were just not fun at all, most boring characters of any FF game, was a chore to keep playing. Unless FF16 can pull a rabbit out the series is dead (but I doubt it with the crap looking realtime fights and edgelord main character)

And that's why within like 2 months of release the price dropped to under 50% and you could still cop the "day one" edition

They say with 10 mil they finally broke even on the game. And Square is the same publisher that had a problem with the performance of those Eidos/Crystal Dynamics games? FOH

Square needs a wakeup call, they don't know how to handle developing or publishing AAAs. Enix and their other low key games are all they got going for them. FF7R was well received despite me hating what they did to the battle system but I bet they f*** that up too with the follow-up.

Bring back Einhander you f***s

Boo, Square, boo-urns

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 7036 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

How can they still have that voice acting from Dino in 2016, the battles were just not fun at all, most boring characters of any FF game, was a chore to keep playing. Unless FF16 can pull a rabbit out the series is dead (but I doubt it with the crap looking realtime fights and edgelord main character)

And that's why within like 2 months of release the price dropped to under 50% and you could still cop the "day one" edition

They say with 10 mil they finally broke even on the game. And Square is the same publisher that had a problem with the performance of those Eidos/Crystal Dynamics games? FOH

Square needs a wakeup call, they don't know how to handle developing or publishing AAAs. Enix and their other low key games are all they got going for them. FF7R was well received despite me hating what they did to the battle system but I bet they f*** that up too with the follow-up.

Boo, Square, boo-urns

I think someone said in the other thread that FF16 is worked on by combat designer of DMC4/5 so there's hope. We may finally get a FF game worthy of my time.

But yeah, Sh*tEnix is probably going under or something similar. They don't know how to manage games development. I think they were unhappy with TR 2013 sales or something when it sold somewhere around 10-12M IIRC. It's almost a decade since then and nothing improved.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 18806 Posts

@pc_rocks: That's great if they want to make an action game spinoff like that Team Ninja game, but this is a mainline entry in an RPG series. But now it's lost its charm and it's lost its gameplay.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5494 Posts

This game bounced me off of FF pretty hard. I was a fan prior to

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 8652 Posts

I wanted to like this game. The world was cool. The combat system was so garbage that I couldn't stick with it tho.

Finally got to the point where I was playing most of it in pause mode and it felt like there was a tiny bit of strategy involved. Almost felt like an RPG for a sec. Then I realized it's not worth it and I should just play a good RPG if I want a good battle system.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 38292 Posts

I picked it up at launch and while not high up on my list of favourite Final Fantasy games I did still enjoy it. I picked up all the dlc awhile ago when it was on sale and have been thinking about playing through the game again and checking out the dlc stuff.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3017 Posts

I had fun with this game and have beaten it like 3 times. Really liked the Episode Ignis DLC. Looking forward to FFXVI and can't wait for an actual release date.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 19737 Posts

Never played it, but i watched the whole god damn thing on twitch. Abysmal game.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RatchetClank92  Online
Member since 2020 • 892 Posts

This was more of a walking and driving simulator game than anything, everything felt like a chore, battles were boring and involved no skill. I don’t know why FF has such a big fan base.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 19683 Posts

@mesome713 said:

While this isn't copies sold, FF14 has over 25 million registered accounts.

https://www.siliconera.com/final-fantasy-xiv-surpasses-25-million-users/

But yeah, the single player department is deffo lacking. Especially strong contrast where Zelda and Mario are breaking records, FF15 is really modest in comparison.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 5685 Posts

It had to sell 5mill to break even? I sense another video game crash coming.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 3548 Posts

@mesome713 said:

In a JRPG characters matter. No FF had as memorable characters as FF7. I remember playing the game high school and hearing people talking about it who I thought were to cool for video games. ( this was in the 90's when nerd culture wasn't as accepted as it is today).

It's hard to create characters as memorable as Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa etc.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7169 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Boo, Square, boo-urns

I think someone said in the other thread that FF16 is worked on by combat designer of DMC4/5 so there's hope. We may finally get a FF game worthy of my time.

But yeah, Sh*tEnix is probably going under or something similar. They don't know how to manage games development. I think they were unhappy with TR 2013 sales or something when it sold somewhere around 10-12M IIRC. It's almost a decade since then and nothing improved.

There's a guy who previously worked on dmc, bit overblown lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 41674 Posts

Well, despite any criticism of the open world aspect funneling into a more linear game, seems people enjoyed it. The take away should be that Square Enix should focus on delivering quality games that sell well. Now they seem focused on making themselves some kind of GaaS cash cow or some big monetization sceme to make them filthy rich.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1244 Posts

Yeah square should abandon their old fans that like deep meaty mechanics and good stories with tons of great characters

Focus on OPEN WORLD BOY BANDS in japan go casual as hell imo FF for the win now i dunno how this sold 10 million this is my fave franchise i haven't even bought this game cuz looked horrible and unlike any other FF

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 16849 Posts

@lamprey263: Square Enix now have FFXIV as their cash cow. That's where they get most of their revenue from these days, after stealing Blizzard's thunder.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By St_Monica
@Jag85 said:

Square Enix now have FFXIV as their cash cow. That's where they get most of their revenue from these days, after stealing Blizzard's thunder.

Yeah. According to the recently released Square Enix earnings report, their MMO net sales (purple) have nearly doubled since 2020. They haven't disclosed the ratio of it to DQX, but it's clearly due to the growing popularity of FFXIV.

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/pdf/22q4slides.pdf

It's also worth noting that about half of their entire video game sale comes from F2P phone games (blue). This reminds me that you called the F2P market "a whole different ball park."

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 16849 Posts
@st_monica said:

Yeah. According to the recently released Square Enix earnings report, their MMO net sales (purple) have nearly doubled since 2020. They haven't disclosed the ratio of it to DQX, but it's clearly due to the growing popularity of FFXIV.

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/pdf/22q4slides.pdf

It's also worth noting that about half of their entire video game sale comes from F2P phone games (blue). This reminds me that you called the F2P market "a whole different ball park."

Square Enix has had some big F2P mobile hits as well, like Dragon Quest Walk (a Pokemon Go style game that made close to $1 billion) and FFXV New Empire (a Game of War style game that made over $500 million).

But in terms of individual games, FFXIV is definitely SE's biggest money maker. Its annual revenue is now fairly close to what World of Warcraft used to make a decade ago.