Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

Maybe better to hold off 6-12 months.

Borderlands 3 is suffering from a raft of technical issues at launch

Players are turning to the Borderlands 2 Steam page for help.

Borderlands 3 came out this week, and players are reporting a raft of technical issues with the game.

On console, Gearbox's looter shooter suffers from framerate problems. Specifically, players are reporting a stutter in the PlayStation 4 Pro's performance mode, which is supposed to give you a 60fps experience. But this stutter appears widespread across platforms and modes.

There's a lot of lag, too, particularly when playing split-screen couch co-op and one player goes into their ECHOdevice during heavy combat.

Our Lottie Lynn, who's playing on PlayStation 4, encountered a strange glitch where one menu screen displayed placeholder text that seemed to refresh itself.

On PC, players are encountering fps issues, too, with stuttering a common complaint. In a tweet, Gearbox said it was aware and looking into it.

In light of Borderlands 3 PC launching as a timed exclusive on the Epic Games store, which does not have a forum, players are turning to other places to ask for help - and troll.

Gearbox's own forum has a section for Borderlands 3, which is packed with troubleshooting threads started by players asking for help. But it's the Borderlands 2 Steam page where most discussion is being had - and not all of it is helpful or wanted, it seems.

It's no surprise, of course, to see players of an Epic Games store timed exclusive flock to the Steam page of its predecessor to ask for help and indeed troll others. This has happened before with previous Epic Games store exclusives and will no doubt happen again. But given Borderlands 3's rocky launch, the issue is exacerbated - and given Steam's enormous online footprint, those who use Google to troubleshoot Borderlands 3 problems will likely be sent Steam's way.

Amid the troubleshooting threads from Borderlands 3 players are threads started by Borderlands 2 players complaining about the sudden influx of Borderlands 3-related threads. One user called for a Borderlands 3 Steam subforum "so the pooor [sic] ppl who can't be bothered to use the Gearbox forum can rant and gloat and support each other in there without totally outspamming on-topic BL2 content".

Gearbox will no doubt be working on a number of updates and patches aimed at sorting these launch issues out. Until they're released, Steam may - or may not - help.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Yeah, it's a pain. Even at locked 60, there is micro-stutter and it's really annoying.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

it feels pretty good at 80+ FPS on my 144fps monitor, but at times when it drops towards 60 I definitely notice some stuttering during combat.

had a few other bugs as well but they have been minor and kinda funny even (like my guy getting in the car, and somehow ending up sitting a few feet outside the car to the right on the ground while driving around. only happened once but looked ridiculous)

its not in a disastrous state but could certainly be better optimized

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Epic and Gearbox both need to do better, it seems.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

And that's why a lot of people don't take critics seriously. Hand picked early reviewers, PC not taken into account and a selective build of the game.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Appreciate the Star Trek reference.

Didn't the first game have technical issues at launch as well?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

That's what happens when you phone in your shit loot n'shoot game. Borderlands has just been one continuous slide backwards.

Step 1: make a decent game that sells well.

Step 2: capitalize off that fame by making the consecutive games worse. Idunno, don't change anything and use the interns to build the levels.

Step 3: ?

Step 4: profit.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 with_teeth26
@uninspiredcup said:

And that's why a lot of people don't take critics seriously. Hand picked early reviewers, PC not taken into account and a selective build of the game.

all the early reviews were on PC

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@with_teeth26: Not true. I've seen multiple now that all claim they haven't seen the PC version yet. Digital Foundry included.

Edit: Why do publications depend on being given codes for games these days? Is $60 really too much of an upfront cost for content? Pubs are gonna go where the eyes are. That's Twitch and Youtube. Gamespot, IGN, Giant Bomb etc are gonna get less and less love as the hobby moves forward. Pubs and Devs no longer need them for exposure.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Just like mislike for the entirety of the borederlands series. You started this threat with a voyager picture.

Triggering even more dislike :P The true downfall of trek.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I'm level 22 on Chapter 10 and having a GREAT time! I LOVE this game. I had a bit of lag day one but today none whatsoever. I am looking forward to maxing out several characters. Game on!

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Had the odd stutter on X1X but nothing too stressful. Got booted to home screen once and recently X completely shut down, although to be fair that happens to me in other games as well on occasion.

Screw the complaints, I'm gonna beat this game like Chris Brown did Rihanna.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

All the Borderlands games have had technical issues. Anyone who bought this game day one expecting it to be flawless is an idiot.

Go play something else and wait for patches.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Haven't had any issues on the mighty x.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I will wait until it’s patched before buying this.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By with_teeth26
@goldenelementxl said:

@with_teeth26: Not true. I've seen multiple now that all claim they haven't seen the PC version yet. Digital Foundry included.

Edit: Why do publications depend on being given codes for games these days? Is $60 really too much of an upfront cost for content? Pubs are gonna go where the eyes are. That's Twitch and Youtube. Gamespot, IGN, Giant Bomb etc are gonna get less and less love as the hobby moves forward. Pubs and Devs no longer need them for exposure.

all the sites that had reviews up a while before the game came out were on PC (including the likes of Gamespot and IGN).

only some select sites got access though, apparently it was some weird debug version of the game and not a traditional 'review copy' with release code.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#18 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Hehe. Well, this is one of those few times I'm glad I have my OCD-ish habits. It's the only real reason I'm waiting six months to buy this.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts
@ajstyles said:

All the Borderlands games have had technical issues. Anyone who bought this game day one expecting it to be flawless is an idiot.

Pretty much. I don't think BL1 or 2 ever ran great on my PC.