bluray and hddvd both already obsolete?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts

SORRY IF WRONG FORUM

since toshiba brought out the hddvd playere that scales regular dvd's to 1080p, dosen't that pretty much seal the deal on all this bluray and hddvd crap?

who needs it when you can have this, no need to replace dvd's or spend extra money on a console or adapter for this?

Khanezhyray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Khanezhyray
Member since 2005 • 901 Posts

No.

Scaling still looks worse than actual 1080p footage.

-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Serpahim-
Member since 2007 • 1627 Posts

No.

Khanezhyray

what he said.

Avatar image for pintabear49blue
pintabear49blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pintabear49blue
Member since 2007 • 4809 Posts
It looks better then upscaled. It holds more data.
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SegArgyle

looks pretty good to me

you people need to get your priorities straight there isn't any difference this will win out cuz no one wants to go back and buy a whole new dvd collection when you already got it

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts
Yes Holographic Medium kills them. It is a timeless medium as it can't be scrathed and can be read by a basic device. But HD-DVD and Blu-ray will go the way of 8 track and laser disc......Eventually players will die and no more will be made making existing material unplayable.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
[QUOTE="Khanezhyray"]

No.

-Serpahim-

what he said.

yeah

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
I see ur point. But sooner or later film makers will stop supporting dvd since HD only tv's are forced in by Feb 2009.
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

When you upscale an imagecompared to a native 1080p image. How do you create image date out of nothing?

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SegArgyle

I see ur point. But sooner or later film makers will stop supporting dvd since HD only tv's are forced in by Feb 2009.caseypayne69

that won't make a difference with this player, since you can already play them on an hdtv

all that has too do is making analog tv's obsolete

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xbox360gamer1
I will make an upscaling basicly means streaching. Streaching pixels will make it fit the screen and look a bit better.....BUT you only have the 480 pixels of material ...upscaling sadly can't create new material
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SegArgyle

in other words it dosen't look as great but looks better than before which is enough cuz no one cares about bluray or hddvd except those with too much money to spend and have to have every freaking gadget out there

in 5 years they ll release a greenray disc or something and you ll have to start over again

dlp21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dlp21
Member since 2003 • 2116 Posts

looks pretty good to me

you people need to get your priorities straight there isn't any difference this will win out cuz no one wants to go back and buy a whole new dvd collection when you already got it

SegArgyle

Yeah, they said that about VHS too.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

I think they are.

Every movie I have watched over the last two years I downloaded from either

a) my cable provider offers HD movies

b) over my pc in HD

c) I download 720p movies on my 360

But I am not a huge movie fan.

I really dont care if my movies arent in full HD 720p is plenty good enouph for me.

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SegArgyle
[QUOTE="SegArgyle"]

looks pretty good to me

dlp21

people new movies were going to disc, because we had laserdisc back then, putting movies on a smaller disc like a regular cd i.e. dvd, we knew it was coming

lol

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SegArgyle

I think they are.

Every movie I have watched over the last two years I downloaded from either

a) my cable provider offers HD movies

b) over my pc in HD

c) I download 720p movies on my 360

But I am not a huge movie fan.

I really dont care if my movies arent in full HD 720p is plenty good enouph for me.

Coyo7e

I like movies but dvd's look just fine still even on a hdtv

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
No. Scaling does not make it look much better. And prettymuch all DVD players have upscalers these days. Both HDDVD and Blu-ray players upscale DVDs. There's nothing settled between them at all. There's a market for HD discs, period. One is going to dominate.
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts

SORRY IF WRONG FORUM

since toshiba brought out the hddvd playere that scales regular dvd's to 1080p, dosen't that pretty much seal the deal on all this bluray and hddvd crap?

who needs it when you can have this, no need to replace dvd's or spend extra money on a console or adapter for this?

SegArgyle

Upscaling DVD players have been around for several years now. Even the 360 and PS3 upscale DVD's. I'm not sure why you think this is some new technology.

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SegArgyle

No. Scaling does not make it look much better. And prettymuch all DVD players have upscalers these days. Both HDDVD and Blu-ray players upscale DVDs. There's nothing settled between them at all. There's a market for HD discs, period. One is going to dominate.Lazy_Boy88

I'm afraid dvd's will continue to dominate cuz their cheap

plus eventually the majority are gonna digitally download like music

making the disc totally obsolete

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SegArgyle
[QUOTE="SegArgyle"]

SORRY IF WRONG FORUM

ramey70

Upscaling DVD players have been around for several years now. Even the 360 and PS3 upscale DVD's. I'm not sure why you think this is some new technology.

I never knew they could do that

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

SORRY IF WRONG FORUM

SegArgyle

Scaling doesn't look anywhere near to as good as native HD.

ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts

[QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"]No. Scaling does not make it look much better. And prettymuch all DVD players have upscalers these days. Both HDDVD and Blu-ray players upscale DVDs. There's nothing settled between them at all. There's a market for HD discs, period. One is going to dominate.SegArgyle

I'm afraid dvd's will continue to dominate cuz their cheap

plus eventually the majority are gonna digitally download like music

making the disc totally obsolete

Is it possible a sizeable market will exist for online media? Yes. Will it dominate? No. The general public still wants to "own" something and it's hard for them to feel that way with digitial downloads. In addition, the movie companies are obsessed with anti-piracy measures and both HD-DVD and Bluray were built heavily with that in mind. You also have a segmented market in that many people in the US still don't have broadband internet.

dlp21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dlp21
[QUOTE="dlp21"][QUOTE="SegArgyle"]

looks pretty good to me

SegArgyle

people new movies were going to disc, because we had laserdisc back then, putting movies on a smaller disc like a regular cd i.e. dvd, we knew it was coming

lol

Um, what is your point, do you think people just stopped buying VHS when LaserDisc came out? No. They didn't stop when DVD came out. DVD just eventually took over. HDTV's will eventually saturate the market, the prices will come down on Nex Gen DVD's and Players and people will adopt.

Digital download is eventual, but you have DRM to worry about thanks to the MPAA. Plus you still need a lot of HDD space for the quality you get on Next Gen DVD.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

No.

Khanezhyray

True, But does the average consumer know this, probably not.

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xbox360gamer1
[QUOTE="SegArgyle"][QUOTE="dlp21"][QUOTE="SegArgyle"]

looks pretty good to me

dlp21

lol

Um, what is your point, do you think people just stopped buying VHS when LaserDisc came out? No. They didn't stop when DVD came out. DVD just eventually took over. HDTV's will eventually saturate the market, the prices will come down on Nex Gen DVD's and Players and people will adopt.

Digital download is eventual, but you have DRM to worry about thanks to the MPAA. Plus you still need a lot of HDD space for the quality you get on Next Gen DVD.

An HD movie in Xvid is only around 1.4Gb.....And with 4 terabyte HDD for 2009......I think we are all set for digital downloads.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

The adoption rate for HD DVD and Blu-Ray will be much, much slower compared to DVD. Think about all the upgrades people got from DVD over VHS. Not only was the picture and sound quality much better, but nobody had to ever rewind their movies again and could easily skip to their favorite scene in the movie. Plus, the menu system was a very nice addition. And you didn't need to buy a new TV.

The jump from DVD to HD DVD/Blu-Ray is not nearly as large I'm afraid. Not even close. And the adoption rate also hinges on a TV purchase to get the full benefit from the new format.

That said, while HD DVD and Blu-Ray continue to deal with slow adoption rates digital distribution over cable/sattelite will get more and more popular and sophisticated and will affect sales of HD DVD/Blu-Ray movies adversely. It remains to be seen just how much though.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="-Serpahim-"][QUOTE="Khanezhyray"]

No.

jasontakhar

what he said.

yeah

While the technicalities of that may be true, I would say that neither format has never hit any market prime to begin with. DVD is still winning simply because the advantages of hidef discs to DVD just aren't as substantial as DVD was to VHS. Sure there's the higher resolution, but that's about it. Whereas what DVD offered that VHS couldn't (chapter selection, substitles, language selection, commentaries, behind the scenes, deleted scenes, out takes, making of's, etc...) gave significent incentive to make the move from VHS to DVD.

The same can't be said going from DVD to HD DVD or Blu Ray.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I see ur point. But sooner or later film makers will stop supporting dvd since HD only tv's are forced in by Feb 2009.caseypayne69

Thats digital TVs... don't confuse Digital with HD... you can get digital SD tv's...

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Yes, HVD destroys both formats, rather expensive though.....
dlp21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dlp21

An HD movie in Xvid is only around 1.4Gb.....And with 4 terabyte HDD for 2009......I think we are all set for digital downloads.

Xbox360gamer1

Um, and you lose the PCM audio. Also being an A/Vphile, I notice a huge diffrence when converted to xVid. And also the conversion rates aren't that good. I used xVid to shrink my DVD collection and to retain 100 percent you really don't lose that much. In my personal experience with it anywhere from 10-30 percent. That's not that much on a 50 Gig disk. Now granted you can eliminate extras and audio tracks that you don't need, but it just doesn't compare.

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
They don't just have better image quality that upscaled DVD, they have far better audio and they either have or will have far better extra features as well.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Yes Holographic Medium kills them. It is a timeless medium as it can't be scrathed and can be read by a basic device. But HD-DVD and Blu-ray will go the way of 8 track and laser disc......Eventually players will die and no more will be made making existing material unplayable.Xbox360gamer1

Eventually all technology becomes obsolete. If you mean HVD by holographic medium then thats not going anywhere for at least the next decade I assure you, if it ever makes headway into the mass market. The cost is so ridiculously high virtually nobody can afford them and theres no need for them in video encoding.