Dear racing gamers!
Here are the two combat racing game IPs that are about to turn 10 years old by this year.
Both of these racing game IPs appear to be inspired by Mario Kart in terms of gameplay.
What I've known about Blur; after the release of Project Gotham Racing 4 in 2007, Bizarre Creations lost the rights of developing the next installment of PGR for being acquired by Activision and wanted to make a spiritual successor, so they made Blur, the gameplay style-wise is a combination of PGR, WipEout, and Quantum Redshift.
In 2011, Activision closed down Bizarre Creations which made the racing fans feel very upset just like how Sony closed down Psygnosis and Evolution Studios back in 2012 and 2016 respectively.
I hope one day Activision will able to resurrect it or either Microsoft purchase the IP for the next-gen console era!
- Licensed high-performance cars ranging from Ford GT, BMW 1M, Audi R8, Nissan Skyline GTR R34, Ford Mustang GT-R Concept, etc.
- It takes place in real-world locations e.g Brighton (UK), San Francisco (US), etc.
- Power-Ups' functionality is similar to WipEout and Quantum Redshift.
- Sub-Genre: Combat Street Racing
What I've known about Sonic & All-Stars Racing; In around 2009, Sega wanted a kart racer as a spiritual successor to Sonic Drift and answer to Nintendo's Mario Kart Wii. So they wanted to see Sonic and other Sega characters to join in a combat kart racing league, with the gameplay mixture of Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing.
- Characters from several Sega IPs.
- Cartoony go-karts, bikes, etc.
- It takes place in cartoony fantasy worlds.
- Power-Ups' functionality is similar to Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing.
- Sub-Genre: Kart Racing
P.S I vote for Blur while leaving Sonic & All-Stars Racing in the dust! Because I much more prefer realistic sports cars way over any cartoony go-karts!