Bloomberg: Sony cuts PS5 initial production orders by four million units - Gematsu *Sony denies rumor*

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

UPDATE: Sony denied the rumor. Source (credits to @Nonstop-Madness)

Linkage.

The Bloomberg article.

Silicon yield troubles. Scalpers will have a field day with this.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has cut its estimated production volume of PlayStation 5 for the fiscal year ended March 2021 by four million units, down to roughly 11 million, due to an unsteady production yield of the console’s custom-designed system-on-chip, according to a Bloomberg report (English, Japanese) citing people familiar with the matter

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15895 Posts

No sony what you doing

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Damn. Glad I don't buy day 1.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

It is a shitty time for all electronics.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38638 Posts

How how hard could it be to produce 9.2tflops? Stop being lazy, Sony.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

11 million units are still very high compared to the PS4, which sold 7.5 million units in the first 6 months.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Oh no! What if they don't think I am worthy to play Demon's Souls on launch day.

Honestly that would make me really sad, as someone who played the original on launch day in 2009.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen

@pyro1245 said:

Oh no! What if they don't think I am worthy to play Demon's Souls on launch day.

Honestly that would make me really sad, as someone who played the original on launch day in 2009.

What have you do for Sony to be a worthy pick for the launch Demon's Souls? You haven't done anything. You're just not worthy, dude. They will allow you to play it q4 2021, tho so please be patient.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

New kings of artificial shortages.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Yeah Xbox is going to outsell the PiS 5. 😂

TCHBO

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

Don't want to reduce prices to match the competition? Reduce the supply, lol, people(idiots) will think that the console is somehow worth more because of it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@xhawk27 said:

TCHBO

With what game(s) 😫😆🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen
@rmpumper said:

Don't want to reduce prices to match the competition? Reduce the supply, lol, people(idiots) will think that the console is somehow worth more because of it.

Rolex has been doing this for ages. It works.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I think Sony is releasing this info to encourage day one sales. 11 million in 6 months? Who’s ever accomplished that?

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JasonOfA36

@Sevenizz: "Oh, no. PS5 shortage. I need to get one ASAP." - consumers

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

There could be a number of factors. Maybe sales forecast is down because US economic outlook is rough for next year or two. Maybe now is not a good time either to be taking risks and selling their console at huge loss. Maybe MS pricing Series X at $500 is a relief and they don't have to price the PS5 aggressively low, thus cutting production as demand will be lower. Or maybe they are playing the artificial scarcity game.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JasonOfA36

@lamprey263: Literally says silicon yields are down.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I hope I can get one. I signed up for the list but I received no email yet. I know they might open pre-orders tomorrow so I was expecting something tonight. :(

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

Sony overclocking so hard they had to bin half of the chips, yikes!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen

@howmakewood said:

The core of the system is their high tech SSD. If they're overclocking, it will be the SSD, and not the gpu/cpu. An overclocked SSD is very powerful inside a console with to-the-metal optimization.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@hardwenzen:

@hardwenzen said:
@howmakewood said:

The core of the system is their high tech SSD. If they're overclocking, it will be the SSD, and not the gpu/cpu. An overclocked SSD is very powerful inside a console with to-the-metal optimization.

Very powerful with lots of errors!

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5244 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@rmpumper said:

Rolex has been doing this for ages. It works.

And I think it is legal.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

TCHBO

LOL! Xbox is popular in like, three countries. They gotta finance consoles to people to get them to touch 'em. 🤣

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

The Bloomberg reports says they are having problems with the APU and at one point the yields of usable chips was near 50% at one point. So almost 1/2 their chips produced were not usable

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Don’t worry,you’ll be able to watch sps4derman and god AWfall walkthroughs on youtube from your favourite streamer who has got his PS5 for free...you profit/sales over power/games types want to send Sony a strongly worded email stressing the importance of Sony’s finances to you as a gamer and the hit to their profits through handing out of free £500 consoles

HaH

Priceless

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@bluestars said:

Don’t worry,you’ll be able to watch sps4derman and god AWfall walkthroughs on youtube from your favourite streamer who has got his PS5 for free...you profit/sales over power/games types want to send Sony a strongly worded email stressing the importance of Sony’s finances to you as a gamer

HaH

Priceless

Here so you stop crying

HaH

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4358 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@howmakewood said:

you cant oc ssd.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

$599 / $499 incoming.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17419 Posts

I suspect the binning required for 2.23 ghz silicon is quite high.

Not every chip off the line is capable of hitting such a high speed.

Silicon lottery exists for a reason

2000mhz BOOST clocks on RDNA 2 is already pushing it, they are shooting for 2.23 consistently. It was bound to happen

That binning only adds to cost

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44017 Posts

Poo cows, they just can't catch a break these dayzz...

lol :P

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts
@firedrakes said:
@hardwenzen said:
@howmakewood said:

you cant oc ssd.

both of those might be satire

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

I think Sony is releasing this info to encourage day one sales. 11 million in 6 months? Who’s ever accomplished that?

Not like I was going to buy PS5 anytime soon and I'm not in the mood for a next-gen console purchase either. Looks like I'll be holding into my PS4 for a long time. So many games to play on PC anyway and my Switch will keep me entertain for the time being until PS5 is in a normal position.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

TCHBO

So MS will sell more than 11 million units in 1 quarter?

Good to know time to bookmark.

@regnaston said:

The Bloomberg reports says they are having problems with the APU and at one point the yields of usable chips was near 50% at one point. So almost 1/2 their chips produced were not usable

At 1 point which mean after that it got better,i don't know about you but how many consoles had 11 million units shipped after less than 5 months? Sony fiscal year end in March 30 2021,from launch to that date there is like 5 months or less.

If the have 11 million units that mean there is no yield issue,a real yield issue is what the xbox 360 experience on 2005,were less than half a million units were available and there was a shortage for months.

11 million units is not a problem hell i can't see sony selling that many PS5 in such a short time unless the PS5 is $299.

In fact 11 million units is what MS and sony shipped combined from launch to march 30 2014 more or less,the PS4 broke records and still didn't sold 11 million in 5 months after launch.

@navyguy21 said:

I suspect the binning required for 2.23 ghz silicon is quite high.

Not every chip off the line is capable of hitting such a high speed.

Silicon lottery exists for a reason

2000mhz BOOST clocks on RDNA 2 is already pushing it, they are shooting for 2.23 consistently. It was bound to happen

That binning only adds to cost

Use logic people 11 million units doesn't represent a product with yield issues.

Please any one here can you point me to what console launched and 5 months into its launch already had 11 million units made?

Some of you can't simply analyse the data been presented to you,you people focus on one thing what downplay the unit and some how fuel the agenda.

https://money.cnn.com/2005/12/21/technology/ea_warning/

Now this was a yield problem.

11 million units in 5 months? No is not hell i can't see sony selling that many units in such a short period of time,unless they come with a ultra low price like $299 other wise i don't think so.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 regnaston

People saying that 11 mil is still more than the ps4 had at launch are right but i don't think you can compare raw numbers instead you have to compare launch units of next gen to last gen sales numbers.

https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Ps4 according to that link sold 113 million so 11 million sales is just under a 10% transfer rate at launch

PS3 sold 87 million and so Sony had 7.5 million lainch units launch (under 10% transfer rate )

While the transfer rates are close percentage wise the concern for Sony is that they hold the clear advantage over XBOX in sales (from what little information is available from MS) and would likely have the majority of gamers looking their way first so they wanted to produce more units to have ready. Now if there are shortages it might push some people looking for Christmas gifts to another camp (Xbox, Nintendo)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

Regarding this news. Could be a bunch of BS if you ask me, but I find it very convenient that this news is released 24 hours before PS5 event on 9/16. I got a feeling the price is going to be PS5 Digital $399 and PS5 physical $499 respectively and this report has been thrown out there to make it appears as if there will be scarcity. I mean believe it if you must, but I call this BS!

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By regnaston

@davillain-: if it is a Sony "leak" then I agree that it is to drive demand up. Maybe there are hopes that a higher demand will allow them to have slightly higher prices than XBox (I think they come in at 449/499 but a higher demand could make them push higher than that) (speculation of course )

Funny thing is XBox a few weeks ago released a news clip saying that there will be a limited supply and I am not sure I heard anyone mention it :)

Edit: sorry it was Best Buy in Canada which said there is limited stock

https://gamerant.com/xbox-series-x-limited-supply-best-buy/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator

@regnaston said:

@davillain-: if it is a Sony "leak" then I agree that it is to drive demand up. Maybe there are hopes that a higher demand will allow them to have slightly higher prices than XBox (I think they come in at 449/499 but a higher demand could make them push higher than that) (speculation of course )

Funny thing is XBox a few weeks ago released a news clip saying that there will be a limited supply and I am not sure I heard anyone mention it :)

Both MS & Sony stated there will be limited supplies this time around and the same goes for Nvidia's RTX 3000 series all due to Covid-19 manufacturer workers are limited. If anyone really wants next-gen consoles, you really gonna have to pre-order this time around and not wait for reviewers.

If PS5 comes at $449 & $499, I don't see myself or anyone purchasing digital version over physical unless you really don't have a choice, than I can see the digital version going to be sold-out.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tormentos

@regnaston said:

People saying that 11 mil is still more than the ps4 had at launch are right but i don't think you can compare raw numbers instead you have to compare launch units of next gen to last gen sales numbers.

https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Ps4 according to that link sold 113 million so 11 million sales is just under a 10% transfer rate at launch

PS3 sold 87 million and so Sony had 7.5 million lainch units launch (under 10% transfer rate )

While the transfer rates are close percentage wise the concern for Sony is that they hold the clear advantage over XBOX in sales (from what little information is available from MS) and would likely have the majority of gamers looking their way first so they wanted to produce more units to have ready. Now if there are shortages it might push some people looking for Christmas gifts to another camp (Xbox, Nintendo)

That means nothing it could have 200 millions that doesn't say that even 10% will get the machine on day 1,is a yearly process and it has been like that since ever.

The PS1 sold 100 millions,yet sony only shipped 10 million units basically on its first year,the PS2 156 million units,the PS3 again not even close,the xbox 360 had a shortage do to yields and only half a million units were shipped until 31 of december 2005 now that was a yield problem,the xbox one didn't have that issue but they shipped 3.9 million units from which only 3 million were sold and the rest wasn't that is 6 times as much units sold than the 360,and actually almost 8 times as many shipped yet all those shipped didn't sold,and still the 360 outsold the xbox one in time frame to this point.

So you compare PS4 launch numbers to PS5 launch numbers and you have a clear picture,because 113 million PS4 weren't sold in 5 months they were sold in 7 years.

@davillain- said:

Regarding this news. Could be a bunch of BS if you ask me, but I find it very convenient that this news is released 24 hours before PS5 event on 9/16. I got a feeling the price is going to be PS5 Digital $399 and PS5 physical $499 respectively and this report has been thrown out there to make it appears as if there will be scarcity. I mean believe it if you must, but I call this BS!

The full PS5 console may be priced as low as $449 while the slimmer digital-only version may dip below $400, according to Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Masahiro Wakasugi.

I don't know but the same article claim $449 and $400,but i don't see how 11 millions units in 5 months can represent scarcity it simply doesn't the PS4 sold like crazy and didn't sell 11 million units in 5 months.

Maybe sony was to optimistic about the amount of units they would have,but if the tell me there will only be 3 million units for the fiscal year ending now that would make me panic but 11 millions na.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#39 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2560 Posts

What i find curious is that some weeks ago they announced that they will be producing more units than originally planned.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm not too worried. These are still far better numbers than the PS3 shortage which only shipped 5 million worldwide by end of March '07.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@Random_Matt: This has nothing to do with COVID. Low yields means that a lot of the APUs aren't meeting specs, most likely due to the high clock speed of the GPU portion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tormentos

@techhog89 said:

@Random_Matt: This has nothing to do with COVID. Low yields means that a lot of the APUs aren't meeting specs, most likely due to the high clock speed of the GPU portion.

11 million units in 5 months is unheard of on a console launch,not even the PS2 or Wii did that nor the PS4 all which broke the 100 million mark.

11 million units doesn't represent a yield problem it simply doesn't some of you people are simply newbies or have short memory.

MS shipped only half a million xbox 360 in 2005,it had a shortage for months and the culprit was the xbox 360 GPU which was having yield issues,few came out of factory working,and there was no Coby then,now there is Coby and still they will manage to make 11 million units in 5 months? I can't even believe that it simply hasn't happen.

3 million in 5 months yeah there is a problem 11 million in 5 months no chance in hell.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@firedrakes: you can overclock ssds in principle 🕵

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@hardwenzen:

Crying laughing

HaH

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Sony has officially denied the report.

“While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," the statement reads.

"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

Source

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos

@Nonstop-Madness said:

“While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," the statement reads.

"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

Source

But but but the yields were 50% only the yields.🤣

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: Beat me too it.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

Linkage.

The Bloomberg article.

Silicon yield troubles. Scalpers will have a field day with this.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has cut its estimated production volume of PlayStation 5 for the fiscal year ended March 2021 by four million units, down to roughly 11 million, due to an unsteady production yield of the console’s custom-designed system-on-chip, according to a Bloomberg report (English, Japanese) citing people familiar with the matter.

Fake news!

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-sony-reportedly-cuts-launch-window-production-by-4-million-due-to-chip-woes

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#49  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Lol, where did Bloomberg even get this information? Talk about fake news *facepalm*

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts
@Nonstop-Madness said:

Source

rekt...