Bloomberg: Nintendo forced to slow production from 30 to 24 million Switch's this fiscal year due to chip shortages

• 66 results
Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Bad news but 24 million is still millions better than Sony has ever sold in their best ever year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-02/nintendo-to-make-24-million-switch-units-missing-plan-nikkei

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

A few million less pigeons plucked.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Yawn...

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@lundy86_4: Epic

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter

@lundy86_4: 🤣

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Casey-Wegner

@Telekill said:

@lundy86_4: Epic

He's spams that gif. Not epic at all.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@casey-wegner said:

He's spams that gif. Not epic at all.

This is my third posting of the image to you.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Wonder why this is happening now, did Nintendo develop a surpluss of essential production supplies ahead of supply shortages?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Aren't the Switch's made out of refurbished VHS players? Must've been a rumor i heard on reddit😆

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Damn, this is crazy.

Is there any easy-to-explain reason for the chip shortage? I figured that stuff was so automated, and people mining the metals are probably still working, that COVID would have little impact.

I almost want to believe it's a conspiracy that they have plenty of chips but they're just doling them out all slow and are like "Eh, COVID. Whatcha gon' do, right?" as a built in excuse.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:

Bad news but 24 million is still 4 million better than Sony has ever sold in their best ever year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-02/nintendo-to-make-24-million-switch-units-missing-plan-nikkei

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Casey-Wegner

@mrbojangles25 said:

Damn, this is crazy.

Is there any easy-to-explain reason for the chip shortage? I figured that stuff was so automated, and people mining the metals are probably still working, that COVID would have little impact.

I almost want to believe it's a conspiracy that they have plenty of chips but they're just doling them out all slow and are like "Eh, COVID. Whatcha gon' do, right?" as a built in excuse.

It's going to last a while as well. 2023 is generous.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/the-global-chip-shortage-could-last-until-2023-.html

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@casey-wegner said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Damn, this is crazy.

It's going to last a while as well. 2023 is generous.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/the-global-chip-shortage-could-last-until-2023-.html

Yeah well, NBC will say anything to get a click.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts
Loading Video...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Damn, this is crazy.

There were a few reasons for that.

1. COVID 19 vastly increased demand for home electronics (such as consoles like the switch), and reduced supply of chips. Usually someone still needs to be around to operate the machines.
  2. A fire in Japan severely damaged a factory making those chips
  3. Draught in Taiwan, which is bad since large quantities of water is required to make those things.
  4. Donald Trump's trade war with China. (though this one only concerns the US)

Basically demand for Chips increased dramatically during COVID, while our ability to supply them severely diminished. The largest producer of chips faced a draught, the largest factory making them caught on fire.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Meh, big deal.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Dang, even with Switch’s being hard to get, they still sell that many a year. Holy moly Batman!

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@casey-wegner said:

Bad news but 24 million is still 4 million better than Sony has ever sold in their best ever year.

Switch is the best toilet gaming ever, do you agree?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:

lol

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Welp, no OLED for me. Maybe next year.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mesome713

@valgaav_219: They should have more soon. But yeah, it’ll be easier to get a PS5 at this rate.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Valgaav_219

@mesome713 said:

@valgaav_219: They should have more soon. But yeah, it’ll be easier to get a PS5 at this rate.

I'm not really that motivated to get a Switch. I just want to play BOTW. I recently bought my daughter one and now I just have to have one because the temptation is too much having a Switch in the house. I have to play BOTW lmao

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Casey-Wegner

@mesome713 said:

Dang, even with Switch’s being hard to get, they still sell that many a year. Holy moly Batman!

Switch is a beast.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Casey-Wegner
@valgaav_219 said:
@mesome713 said:

I'm not really that motivated to get a Switch. I just want to play BOTW. I recently bought my daughter one and now I just have to have one because the temptation is too much having a Switch in the house. I have to play BOTW lmao

Dread is even better.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hardwenzen

I can tell Casey is depressed. Finished his sidescroller in one day, and now what? Literally at a point of hyping 20 years old gta games🙃I feel you man. I hope you get one good game by 2023 when the Switch2 launches.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:

I can tell Casey is depressed. Finished his sidescroller in one day, and now what? Literally at a point of hyping 20 years old gta games🙃I feel you man. I hope you get one good game by 2023 when the Switch2 launches.

We only found out about Dread a few months back, and boom like that Nintendo delivers a game better than all of Sony.. that I'm still playing btw.

Sony literally has nothing since late Spring.

SMVT next for Switch this holiday what Sony games are coming this holiday?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

We only found out about Dread a few months back, and boom like that Nintendo delivers a game better than all of Sony.. that I'm still playing btw.

Sony literally has nothing since late Spring.

SMVT next for Switch this holiday what Sony games are coming this holiday?

Of course you're still playing that game from 2017. Every sheep still plays a singleplayer from 2017 at the end of 2021 because you get nothing on your system. You're forced to play old game you've already beaten if you want to use your system for anything but Netflix🤷‍♂️I am glad you sheep are the only ones this desperate for games. I couldn't imagine anyone playing Horizon or GoW2018 since they were launched. Playing the same singleplayer game for half a decade. WOW!

You know what Sony is getting? Its getting Elden Ring which you cannot and will not play. Sony is getting BF2042 which you cannot and will not play. Then Dying Light2, Horizon2, etc, etc. Sony is getting everything. Exlusive AND multiplat. You, tho, you're so starved for third party that you're hyping a lazy cash grab gta collection from 20 years ago. I really really wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Stuck with the Switch and the Switch only is as depressing as it gets when it comes to gaming. Just to think for a second that i can only have access to what's coming on the Switch (literally nothing🤷‍♂️) scares the shit outta me. I don't know how you do it. Though life, dude.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VFighter

@casey-wegner: You've had more threads closed today alone then you have games to play 🤣

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#31 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Switch Oled is still available in Canada. It was unavailable for 2 weeks tops since it came out. I assume regular Switch is also available.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Casey-Wegner

@vfighter said:

@casey-wegner: You've had more threads closed today alone then you have games to play 🤣

What are you playing on PS5?

I'm playing Dread and getting ready for SMTV.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@vfighter said:

You beat Dread on day one, which was almost a month ago. Before that, you had nothing to play. After the first day the 8h long sidescroller came out, you have nothing to play. Its time to open up, Casey. We can see your lies, its time to open up to us.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@vfighter said:

You beat Dread on day one, which was almost a month ago. Before that, you had nothing to play. After the first day the 8h long sidescroller came out, you have nothing to play. Its time to open up, Casey. We can see your lies, its time to open up to us.

I'm on my 6th Dread playthrough. Speedrunning and sequence breaking. It's more addictive to me than BOTW or Bloodborne (much better gameplay than BB).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@vfighter said:

I'm on my 6th Dread playthrough. Speedrunning and sequence breaking. It's more addictive to me than BOTW or Bloodborne (much better gameplay than BB).

Much better gameplay than BB? There is a reason why BB is this popular six years later. There's a reason why hermits are desperate to have it on their system. There is also a reason why everybody but you have already forgotten about Dread🤷‍♂️

BB is GOTG to many MANY people. Good luck seeing Dread being in the top 10 of last gen titles. But then again, the game are so limited on the Switch, that you have to have it in the top 10 Switch titles because there's barely anything released for that system.😕I feel your pain, Casey. I really do.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@vfighter said:

Much better gameplay than BB? There is a reason why BB is this popular six years later. There's a reason why hermits are desperate to have it on their system. There is also a reason why everybody but you have already forgotten about Dread🤷‍♂️

BB is GOTG to many MANY people. Good luck seeing Dread being in the top 10 of last gen titles. But then again, the game are so limited on the Switch, that you have to have it in the top 10 Switch titles because there's barely anything released for that system.😕I feel your pain, Casey. I really do.

Loading Video...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:

Loading Video...

I am very glad that you try so hard, but showing a random video with 113 views is simply not hard enough. You need to do much better, and Nintendo needs to try even harder than you to release more than one game by 2023.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

Loading Video...

I am very glad that you try so hard, but showing a random video with 113 views is simply not hard enough. You need to do much better, and Nintendo needs to try even harder than you to release more than one game by 2023.

So how come metacritic scores aren't important to you when BOTW blew Bloodborne away?

Loading Video...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hardwenzen

@casey-wegner: Nobody is saying that BB is overrated. Many, Nintendo fans included, are saying that botw is overrated af. That's how. Also, nice on you to search across the whole of youtube to find another video with 15 views🤭You're not very smart when it comes to trying to prove a point, Casey. And god damn you gotta be desperate as hell for video games if you're still talking about a WiiU port of a game lol.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:

@casey-wegner: Nobody is saying that BB is overrated. Many, Nintendo fans included, are saying that botw is overrated af. That's how. Also, nice on you to search across the whole of youtube to find another video with 15 views🤭You're not very smart when it comes to trying to prove a point, Casey. And god damn you gotta be desperate as hell for video games if you're still talking about a WiiU port of a game lol.

Anecdotal evidence 🤭

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

Anecdotal evidence 🤭

When will you stop being this desperate? Do you want me to buy a ps5, a real system with real games?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VFighter

@casey-wegner: You also had more threads closed then you have valid points in this thread. 🤭 Why are you still here by the way?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

Of course you're still playing that game from 2017. Every sheep still plays a singleplayer from 2017 at the end of 2021 because you get nothing on your system. You're forced to play old game you've already beaten if you want to use your system for anything but Netflix🤷‍♂️I am glad you sheep are the only ones this desperate for games. I couldn't imagine anyone playing Horizon or GoW2018 since they were launched. Playing the same singleplayer game for half a decade. WOW!

You know what Sony is getting? Its getting Elden Ring which you cannot and will not play. Sony is getting BF2042 which you cannot and will not play. Then Dying Light2, Horizon2, etc, etc. Sony is getting everything. Exlusive AND multiplat. You, tho, you're so starved for third party that you're hyping a lazy cash grab gta collection from 20 years ago. I really really wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Stuck with the Switch and the Switch only is as depressing as it gets when it comes to gaming. Just to think for a second that i can only have access to what's coming on the Switch (literally nothing🤷‍♂️) scares the shit outta me. I don't know how you do it. Though life, dude.

Metroid Dread is still pretty talked about, and has a very healthy speedrunning community.

Active Viewers on Twitch vary from 1k-3k depending on the day. With a recent spike in interest,

Despite being nearly a month old, the game has retained around 30% of its interest on google trends from its launch day peak.

Sorry, but Metroid Dread was anything but forgotten. As for the Switch, there is SMT5, Splatoon 3, Mario XCOM 2, Project Triangle Strategy, Pokemon Legends, BotW 2. This lineup is not quite as impressive as Microsoft's lineup, but more impressive than Horizon 2 and GoW: Ragnarok. 2 Third Person Action Adventure game with RPG elements... zzz.

And while I am at it, both GoW2018 and Horizon are still played.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Who cares? And why?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mesome713

@Maroxad: I think he’s still butthurt nobody bought Returnal. And he still has no games to play on his PS5. He’s been playing PS4 games still. We all fill his pain though, my PS5 just collects dust.

Can’t wait for GoW number 15 though. Love me some GoW.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

How is the switch still selling it's crazy.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Wonder why this is happening now, did Nintendo develop a surpluss of essential production supplies ahead of supply shortages?

Been wondering the same for a while. It's either this -- they had a huge build up before shortages, or the components and chips used are less in demand.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Valgaav_219

@casey-wegner said:
@valgaav_219 said:
@mesome713 said:

Dread is even better.

You really believe that?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Maroxad

@mesome713 said:

@Maroxad: I think he’s still butthurt nobody bought Returnal. And he still has no games to play on his PS5. He’s been playing PS4 games still. We all fill his pain though, my PS5 just collects dust.

Can’t wait for GoW number 15 though. Love me some GoW.

The guy being so upset about Metroid Dread, even nearly a month after its release is quite amusing.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

@Maroxad: don't forget about the Texas freeze. It caused samsung to stop production.