Bloodborne vs Nioh

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Bloodborne vs Nioh (100 votes)

Bloodborne 58%
Nioh 41%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Until recently, an argument could be made that Bloodborne is the best console game of the current generation- and that's because it's exemplarily designed, far superior in terms of mechanics and level design to all other games. Its fantastic world design, and Lovecraft inspired story, told passively via in game discovery and mechanics, is stellar, too.

But now Nioh is here- Team Ninja's roaring comeback sees them take on the Souls formula themselves, but with a unique Team Ninja twist. The game is structured like a Souls game, with the same corpse running and leveling mechanics, but it has a dizzying array of depth and options offered to players- in terms of the kind of build you want, the kind of gear you want to equip, the fighting styles you want to adopt, and so on. Hell, the actual fighting is amazing, fast, frenetic, deep- it makes even Bloodborne feel slow and sluggish (and no, before you people get in here, Nioh's combat, amazing as it is, is not Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden level. Get a hold of yourselves). Nioh also adds to its playability via all these options, plus a multitude of side missions that open up for the player. Plus, Nioh also lets you play in 60fps, which is an automatic win.

On the other hand, Nioh's story and world design are decidedly inferior to Bloodborne, as is the manner in which it tells its story. While you can sit back and have some silly fun with what Nioh does with its storytelling, it doesn't approach the kind of oppressive atmosphere that Bloodborne builds. Its levels, exceptionally well designed, also do not match up to the complexities of Bloodborne's levels, such as Cainhurst or Forbidden Forest.

So, my question to you all is- which game is better? Each obviously seems to have some strengths, but which one would you far and away point as being the better game? Nioh certainly feels fresher of the two (which is a big deal, given just how many Soulsborne games we've received in the last few years)- but is it better?

• 
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Bloodborne for enemies design/variety, boss designs, art style and atmosphere. Nioh for everything else. Between the two, Nioh is a better video game.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts

Nioh is a fantastic game but bloodborne level design and atmosphere is a bit better. I find the bosses better in bloodborne as well.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44938 Posts

Oh come on dude, I don't even think you've scratched the surface of Nioh.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

I haven't beaten Nioh so I can't answer that question yet.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I think Nioh has a higher fun factor, though certainly lacks the more atmospheric side of BB

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Haven't played nioh yet but from what i've seen it looks like a much better game, allthough the lore isn't really my cup of tea.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

I can agree with your general write up aside from this blurb on Bloodborne.

far superior in terms of mechanics and level design to all other games.

Bloodborne is definitely great in both aspects, but there are plenty of current gen games with stronger mechanics, and I think there are quite a few games that could be argued as having equal or superior level design. Now if we're limiting the scope to ARPGs? Well then shit yeah, Bloodborne has been holding the crown for a while.

But otherwise, I pretty much agree with what you're getting at.

Bloodborne has my favorite art style in any game ever. The environments, the enemies, the weapons and equipment, all of it is just so damn cool. Bloodborne has atmosphere and mood for days, I always felt completely absorbed in its world. And of course, the game just plays so damn well.

I'm a bit cautious about giving a definite answer here. I voted Nioh in the poll on impulse. And since I usually gravitate towards mechanics above all else, then that's probably the opinion that'll stick for me. But admittedly I haven't beaten Nioh yet. Probably about 35-40 hours in. And in some capacity I'm still honeymoon phasing on this shit lol.

But Nioh is damn excellent so far. It clearly sets a new bar for combat in this sub genre and it sets it high. Another thing that isn't discussed much are its qol improvements over the Souls games in various aspects. Nioh has so damn much going on in its various systems and breadth of items, yet it makes those things easily digestible and simple to navigate. And like @getyeryayasout said, it's just fast! I don't feel frustrated when I hit a fail state. I can snap right back into the action, and the save shrines are pretty much perfectly spaced. And since the combat is so damn enjoyable, I never mind replaying a certain segment over and over again. It's all so damn good lol.

Now the slight downside. Performance. I know the OG PS4 vs Pro kinda muddies the discussion on that. But I'm playing in action mode on the OG PS4. And that performance isn't always too great. There's one section where it really started falling apart worse than anything you'd see in Bloodborne. An area that resembles the Terracotta Army is comparable to PS3's Blighttown in performance, it's really that bad. I'm glad the game at least offers a performance option, but it's not near what you'd expect from Team Ninja.

And the biggest problem I have with this game. I can no longer call Hayashi a bitch. Dude proved all of us haters wrong.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2309 Posts

Bloodborne has better art and environment design but nioh is pretty much better at everything else except for the story telling

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

BB still, but Nioh is damn good.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

"Best console game of the current generation"

Bayonetta 2 exists. I know Souls dweebs like to pretend their game is all "git gud", but those witch trials and actually platinum trophying the levels in Bayonetta 2 actually requires a shit load more effort on the players part. And nothing in Bayonetta 2 hits the pitiful lows of those dull ass chalice dungeons, much less that area with mother brain or the stretch with the ring maidens where the game actively forces the player to ignore the combat, and start sprinting like Usain Bolt.

In fact the only games Bloodborne clowns mechanically are rpgs, actually compare it to some action games, and it doesn't nearly have the depth to stack up favorably. **** having better mechanics than Bloodborne, it doesn't have better mechanics than The Wonderful 101.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:

And the biggest problem I have with this game. I can no longer call Hayashi a bitch. Dude proved all of us haters wrong.

He's not creative director, the other dude is, we're off the hook on this one.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp said:

He's not creative director, the other dude is, we're off the hook on this one.

No Caption Provided

Well in that case, FVCK Hayashi.

Still need to see if these dudes can make a proper NG title.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp:

Btw, have you fought off-brand Alma yet? I think she's like the 2nd or 3rd boss, can't remember. But it's clearly a puss bag version of Alma.

I checked a thread on Gamefaqs about her (can't remember her name) and peeps were calling her the "Father Gascoigne" of Nioh.

RPGs lol.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jg4xchamp:

Btw, have you fought off-brand Alma yet? I think she's like the 2nd or 3rd boss, can't remember. But it's clearly a puss bag version of Alma.

I checked a thread on Gamefaqs about her (can't remember her name) and peeps were calling her the "Father Gascoigne" of Nioh.

RPGs lol.

I'm not getting the game till the 14th, why I haven't said anything about Nioh yet. But yeah that sounds like rpgs dweebs, don't know shit about shit. Bunch of chazes. Probably cried about NG's camera back in the day instead of hitting left trigger.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

i found the demo for nioh to be frustrating so bloodborne

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner
@jg4xchamp said:

I'm not getting the game till the 14th, why I haven't said anything about Nioh yet. But yeah that sounds like rpgs dweebs, don't know shit about shit. Bunch of chazes. Probably cried about NG's camera back in the day instead of hitting left trigger.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you'll dig it man, the game has so much to like and the combat is legit. Though it is a lot like Souls. The first few hours are the toughest. Once you get the systems down and stats really come into play, it's just a moderate challenge. The only real spike I experienced was with the first major boss, some big dude on a boat. Not because he was even that hard, but because I was playing brain dead up until that point and not using a lot of what I had. That was the games "learn your shit" moment for me. It was like oh yeah I actually have to dodge and whiff punish effectively without over extending lol.

But dude, can't wait until you do get into it. Then you can laugh at some of these twats with me.

"Nioh is Ninja Gaiden evolved, has more complex combat than any action game, and is harder than any action game!"

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you'll dig it man, the game has so much to like and the combat is legit. Though it is a lot like Souls. The first few hours are the toughest. Once you get the systems down and stats really come into play, it's just a moderate challenge. The only real spike I experienced was with the first major boss, some big dude on a boat. Not because he was even that hard, but because I was playing brain dead up until that point and not using a lot of what I had. That was the games "learn your shit" moment for me. It was like oh yeah I actually have to dodge and whiff punish effectively without over extending lol.

But dude, can't wait until you do get into it. Then you can laugh at some of these twats with me.

"Nioh is Ninja Gaiden evolved, has more complex combat than any action game, and is harder than any action game!"

I know that the game has the active reload mechanic from gears of war, where if you time it right with your slashes, you can hit R1 to fill up your stamina gauge called ki pulse.

It sounds fucking genius, so yeah I knew it was my type of game since the demos. I think it was me n guardian who were talking about it in the lounge when the first demo came out, so it's good to see Team Ninja bounce back. Even if our boy Itagaki is gonna have to wait a long ass time to redeem himself.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

nioh has better combat mechanics but that's about it. bloodborne has some of the most impressive atmosphere, world building, lore, enemy and boss design, art design, and level design in any game i've played. it simultaneously brings justice to gothic and lovecraftian horror. it's from software's best work and my favorite game of the generation.

that's not to say nioh isn't great, but it's a very lopsided comparison IMO. frankly i don't place nioh above any of the souls games (except for dark souls 2) because the level design is too straight-forward and simplistic.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner
@jg4xchamp said:

I know that the game has the active reload mechanic from gears of war, where if you time it right with your slashes, you can hit R1 to fill up your stamina gauge called ki pulse.

Yeah, that aspect is pretty sweet. It's so fucking simple, yet it never gets old. And for a while it's kind of a gamble. Do you have the time to R1 for a perfect delayed Ki Pulse, or should you just dash back and take the slow fill? Or do you go for a half ass Ki pulse? I don't know why that shit is so addictive lol.

But not too far into the game, you get the ability for your dash to work as a Ki Pulse as well, which really makes things a hell of a lot cooler. Of course you'll still use R1 as a combo extender or a mid-combo stance changer, but being able to recharge off a dash adds a great extra layer and really helps with keeping the flow going.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

bloodborne for the moment i havent beaten nioh

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#22 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Dark Souls > Bloodborne > Nioh

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

If Nioh is still anything like what I played during the Alpha (or Beta or whatever it was a few months back) it's an awesome game. It's Souls + RPG elements + Combo System - Class System (allowing you to change/focus your battle style on the go). Also it looks cool as hell.

Not sure which one is better yet (haven't played the full Nioh) but it's probably safe to say we're talking about two amazing games, for sure.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I like playing Nioh more, but I really enjoyed the world's mystery and fuckery and weird lore going around in Bloodborne. I really like both games. I voted Nioh because I love the combat and the loot so much but thinking about the spider on the building and all that stuff in Bloodborne kinda makes me reconsider my vote. I'm not sure. Nioh is more refreshing because it's less like a Souls game. I guess I maybe should have voted Bloodborne but only by half an inch. And if you ask me tomorrow I would probably change my mind again.

I also really like the opportunity in Nioh to respec. Not sure if that even existed in Bloodborne.

I'm around lvl 75 in Nioh now and the game got relatively easy the past 30 levels but it's starting to ramp up now. Looking forward to what's left. Digging into my gear now. Got a build that I am loving so far. (Respec'd once.) What I don't like about Nioh is that some abilities can really lower the difficulty too much. There are some unmentionables that should be nerfed way down. And some other abilities (specifically one parry) are seemingly impossible to trigger.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Nioh is better than all the Dark Souls games but not better than Demon Souls or Bloodborne. The atmosphere in those two give them the edge.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

Nioh for combat, but Bloodborne for everything else.

vini_lessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vini_lessa
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

Nioh combat system is deeper but that's it. Bloodborne on the other hand - besides having a competent combat itself - has better atmosphere, better art direction, better themes, better lore, better enemy design, better level design, better weapons design, all the while driven by an ingenious artistic vision that is pretty rare in the medium.

So, Bloodborne easily for me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

I'm still pretty early in Nioh, so I'm not sure yet. But the fact that I'm not sure yet means Nioh is a damn good game.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

Yet another golden title added to the library of the Playstation 4, we've come to that point where we sit here and discuss which PS4 exclusive is the best in specific wide appealing genres, rpg being now the case in point. The Xbox is less and less relevant every single day that goes by, but it can't be buried deep enough, not after Microsoft's always online DRM stunt. It has to burn, it has to squirm.

I have voted Bloodborne but havent played NiOh yet.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Hard to pick. Nioh is better to me so far.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19373 Posts

Nioh. Reminds me of Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden, both of which I prefer over Soulsborne.

Jackson_Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jackson_Lee
Member since 2017 • 20 Posts

voted Nioh for the better combat design

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ConanTheStoner

I was a bit cautious about voting Nioh yesterday, but now my opinion is solidified.

I was able to turn a Samurai character into a full on (cross eyed) super Ninja who can run around completely invisible and pull bombs that are bigger than my torso out of my sleeve. 11/10

Dumped all souls, er blood echoes, err Amrita into Dex and Skill. Featherweight armor and all Sami points going into Kusarigama and Dual Katanas. No regrets.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:

I was a bit cautious about voting Nioh yesterday, but now my opinion is solidified.

I was able to turn a Samurai character into a full on (cross eyed) super Ninja who can run around completely invisible and pull bombs that are bigger than my torso out of my sleeve. 11/10

Dumped all souls, er blood echoes, err Amrita into Dex and Skill. Featherweight armor and all Sami points going into Kusarigama and Dual Katanas. No regrets.

yo timeout, can you dress up like Samurai Jack?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp:

Close enough yeah. You can even style hair later, though I'm not sure if changing hair color is an option.

And if you don't like the stats of said attire? You can just hit up the smith and have her roll the stats of something else into that look instead.

And finally a game where the blacksmith is easy on the eyes. 12/10.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Like the feel of Nioh. Will know more once I delve deeper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfc8187829ef
deactivated-5bfc8187829ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 deactivated-5bfc8187829ef
Member since 2017 • 292 Posts

nioh is far more technical game. look at the combat layers. weapons and skills every thing feels great. dark souls and bloodborne have a real rival!

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Prefer Nioh... :P ..didn't like Bloodborne much (played it on bro in law's PS4)..

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Nioh is a great game, kind of Souls meets frenetic Diablo lootfest but it has zero atmosphere, a crap story and endlessly repetitive combat and cut and paste environments from start to finish.

Even given the intricacies and player choice and direction of how the combat works out in Nioh all the environments are really similar, they even repeat the same environments in sub missions that you play in the main story it just has no variety AT ALL.

It's still a great game but Bloodborne slaughters it on absolutely every level imaginable IMO. The graphics are a billion times better, the combat is more refined in that you are mastering your choice of weapons instead of endlessly sifting through loot for the 'omg better one' item.

The atmosphere is dark and heavy and atmospheric in Bloodborne which wears its Lovecraftian influences almost like a badge whereas Nioh has no atmosphere at all to speak of. You are this guy who kills stuff 'because'.

And finally, the bosses. OMG the fucking bosses in Bloodborne, you will remember these c***s for the rest of your days. Nioh you''ll huff and puff a bit but eventually get there either through persistence or maybe a bit of luck but they are not on the same level at all and Bloodborne bosses scare the fucking shit out of you whereas Nioh's are 'okay it's a videogame boss'.

I'm not dissing Nioh it's a fucking great game but Bloodborne it absolutely ain't for a million reasons. In a lot of ways it's unfair to pit Nioh against Bloodborne which is just a landmark in computer entertainment and an absolute masterpiece in its genre.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ConanTheStoner

About 9 months later, opinion hasn't changed.

Gonna replay it on PC soon.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

So. Old.