BLOODBORNE sold through more than 1 million units!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Link:

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/bloodborne-shipments-top-one-million-worldwide

Story:

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio and From Software’s PlayStation 4 action RPG Bloodborne have cumulatively sold through more than one millin units worldwide as of April 5, Sony announced.

The number includes both Blu-ray disc sell-through quantities and download version sales on the PlayStation Store.

Bloodborne was a new challenge for us, and our goal was to create a title that took full advantage of the power of PS4,” said SCE Worldwdie Studios president Shuhei Yoshida. “I am thrilled that so many users have been enjoying the extremely rich and detailed world, beautiful melancholic atmosphere and palpable tension of Bloodborne. SCE WWS will continue to bring exciting software titles that offer entertainment experiences only possible on PS4.”

Bloodborne first launched for PlayStation 4 on March 24.

----

Yay or Nay, System Warriors? I feel it's deserved, wonderful game despite some flaws (loading times and the occasional bug here and there).

Also, would you consider the Souls series in general still a niche one?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

That's good. I wonder how much more it will end up selling.

But yeah, good game with good sales. Nothing to complain about.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

That's a great start.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ofcourse it Did.... what else were cows gona buy ?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Desmonic  Moderator

@freedomfreak: At this pace, considering the great word of mouth and critical acclaim, I can easily see it reaching 2 million, especially if the DLC is great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Good. Yay.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I feel like 1 million units is the minimum for a successful game nowadays. So this is good........i guess?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title.

Am I doing it right?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Excellent game gets good sales. I'm cool with that.

I think calling the Souls franchise niche is a bit wrong at this point

A: They sell, a lot
B: They tend to get their recognition come award season either with victories or at least nominations
C: They become major talking points on gaming forums, youtube, twitch, twitter, etc. Basically they own mind share when they come out

The things the games do give the impression that it would be some under the radar, niche gem, but reality is that the gaming audience has made that series successful at this point. It's niche in the sense that it has a very specific market, but that market happens to make it pretty popular. Which if anything shows you that hey maybe there is some value in actually doing something of your own and being unique, and then building on it, the way From Software has.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Deserved.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Very deserving. Wonder what From's doing next in terms of platform exclusivity.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44014 Posts

Not too shabby for a niche title. :P

Grats to From, my son loves the game.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: Yeah, I agree with that. The overall quality of the series seems to have forged it's own market; and while one could argue that market was "small-ish" in the Demon's/Dark Souls 1 days, it has grown quite a bit since then (especially since adding PC to the mix).

Great work from From Software in doing their own thing and creating their "own luck". We already had at least 1 mainstream copy-cat/similar game trying to get into said market (Lords of the Fallen).

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
@Desmonic said:

At this pace, considering the great word of mouth and critical acclaim, I can easily see it reaching 2 million, especially if the DLC is great.

Yup. Same here. I mean, Demon's hit a little over 2 million, right?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Desmonic  Moderator

@Blabadon: Doubt the next one(s) for this gen will be exclusive. Despite it's success I don't think Sony is too interested in financing 3rd Party studios for too long. Who knows though, maybe this time they made sure to include some sort of sequel in the contract....

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Desmonic  Moderator

@freedomfreak: Maybe, no idea. But if it did it was over a long period of time and with a retroactive effect from Dark Souls 1 & 2. Doubt it reached that number on it's own.

The number itself for BB isn't that impressive, it's the time it has taken to reach it. Dark Souls 1 took a full month to reach 1.5 million shipped on 2 platforms. For a "niche" game, it sure is selling fast :P

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

1 million is a lot, but still, only 1 million? If that seems like a contradiction, it only kind of is. There are a lot of PS4s in the wild, and that's not a lot of games sold relative to that number. Is it?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
@Desmonic said:

Maybe, no idea. But if it did it was over a long period of time and with a retroactive effect from Dark Souls 1 & 2. Doubt it reached that number on it's own.

The number itself for BB isn't that impressive, it's the time it has taken to reach it. Dark Souls 1 took a full month to reach 1.5 million shipped on 2 platforms. For a "niche" game, it sure is selling fast :P

Ah, okay. Yeah, good point.

And I also agree. It's not exactly "niche" anymore when it's pulling numbers like this so quick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title. Niche title.

Am I doing it right?

No. Niche title + no games = great sales

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@musicalmac said:

1 million is a lot, but still, only 1 million? If that seems like a contradiction, it only kind of is. There are a lot of PS4s in the wild, and that's not a lot of games sold relative to that number. Is it?

Dark Souls 2 sold 1.2 million in 3 weeks on PS3/360. Dark Souls sold 2.3 Million total (PC/PS3/360)

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blabadon

@musicalmac: 20 million isn't a huge amount all things considering. 1 million is a pretty decent attach rate for a once niche series

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@FastRobby:

Pretty much..... ;)

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Congrats to From. Haven't played BB, but i'm sure it's a great game and deserves it.

@musicalmac said:

Numbers of units is usually irrelevant.

People need to remember that the vast majority of players aren't interested in most games. Ense why every gen, despite increase in sale of units, software stay the same. Halo 3 sold less than 4 at launch despite the vastly bigger install base.

Anyway, it's about where i expected. It'll stabalize around 1.5 million sales with about 2 million months down the line

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shewgenja

@FastRobby said:

@Shewgenja said:

Am I doing it right?

No. Niche title + no games = great sales

90 more games than the Xbox, so far. Hate to see what you say about that system.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 musicalmac  Moderator

@lostrib said:

@musicalmac said:

Dark Souls 2 sold 1.2 million in 3 weeks on PS3/360. Dark Souls sold 2.3 Million total (PC/PS3/360)

That's even worse. There are loads of 360/PS3 out there and only 3.5 mil total units sold. I wonder how many would have sold at a 29.95 entry level price point.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Desmonic  Moderator

@musicalmac said:

1 million confirmed sales over a 12 day period (with a silly staggered launch) for a $60 product on an install base of 20.5 million (last known numbers, if I'm not mistaken) doesn't sound tooo bad; considering several multiplat titles (with much larger install bases) fail to achieve said sales in such a short amount of time, that is :P

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 musicalmac  Moderator

@Blabadon said:

@musicalmac: 20 million isn't a huge amount all things considering. 1 million is a pretty decent attach rate for a once niche series

It is a niche series, but not to anyone who browses any known gaming website (within reason) on the Internet.

How many copies did Goat Simulator move across its various platforms?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

150k in UK and 200 k in Japan both drop but let's assume we add digital, in Japan probably 220k and UK 170k

That's 390k, this does not include the rest of Europe, so I'm thinking in NPD this month 200k< not beating The order after all, at least in NA, mostly because the numbers don't add up for it to be bigger.

With 390k in UK and dead console japan, we also have Europe which some countries had for awhile and some countries just got new yesterday or a few days ago. I'm thinking 400k at the LEAST. This means 790k give or take leaving 310k open. You you have probably 30k for the other countries, and another 30-40k for canada. That's 540-250k left. That's low balling digital sales in Europe however to being practically none.

In other words, at least in NA, BB won't be outselling the order. But it may still chart higher it depends on the actual numbers games got in march.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Desmonic  Moderator

@TigerSuperman: Numbers for Japan were closer to 150k from what I recall (I may be wrong though). Remember this 1 million includes digital sales, so retail doesn't necessarily have to add up.

I think we'll see more and more of that as this gen goes on, digital purchases on consoles will only increase.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

In other words, at least in NA, BB won't be outselling the order. But it may still chart higher it depends on the actual numbers games got in march.

It'll be a sad day if an objectively better game fails to outsold another objectively (way) less better game.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Desmonic  Moderator

@musicalmac: Goat Sim released on April's Fool last year and by August was "almost at 1 million". It also cost $10. So by direct comparison (which is silly btw), BB is still selling faster on a much lower install base with a much higher price point. :P

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Wow congrats guys and hey i still stand to my prediction for 2 million sold by end of the year

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Blabadon

@musicalmac: Anyone who browses the internet in general doesn't guarantee they have interest in the game or purchasing it. I heard of Warcraft long before I browsed the internet yet never bought a game in the series or even have watched a video of the series.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 musicalmac  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

Goat Sim released on April's Fool last year and by August was "almost at 1 million". It also cost $10. So by direct comparison (which is silly btw), BB is still selling faster on a much lower install base with a much higher price point. :P

Sure, I was just thinking about niche games, that's all. I know it's a silly comparison overall. I think I just expected Bloodborne to sell more, maybe because of how much hype it gets around these parts.

@Blabadon said:

Anyone who browses the internet in general doesn't guarantee they have interest in the game or purchasing it. I heard of Warcraft long before I browsed the internet yet never bought a game in the series or even have watched a video of the series.

That's true, sure. Again, it may be my expectations where higher because of the hype surrounding it at GS. Though if asked to provide a number, I couldn't.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Ofcourse it Did.... what else were cows gona buy ?

Currently over 300+ retail games to buy not to mention PSN games for a whole host of games to meet your needs!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@Heil68:

Like What ? I can't imagine any od them would be as interesting as Blood Borne..... Little Big Planet 3 is the only one I'd buy.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Desmonic  Moderator

@musicalmac: It's silly mostly because BB doesn't let you lick your enemies. Should be a new feature in future DLC lol

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Heil68:

Like What ? I can't imagine any od them would be as interesting as Blood Borne..... Little Big Planet 3 is the only one I'd buy.

Well like I told you earlier I'm buying MK X CE tonight for PS4.

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

Well deserved. One of the best current gen games right now, arguably the best for a lot of people. I can see it being the best selling "Souls" game yet in the long run, should have some good legs.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

This is utter nonsense.

Honest question: Have you ever made a sales prediction that turned out to be correct?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@Heil68:

MKX is Muliplatform and Cross Gen...... Blood Borne isn't.

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

This is well deserved! Already rocking my platinum and almost through NG+

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 musicalmac  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

It's silly mostly because BB doesn't let you lick your enemies. Should be a new feature in future DLC lol

lol... Demon Slobber.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

bu-bu-bu-but niche game.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shewgenja

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Heil68:

MKX is Muliplatform and Cross Gen...... Blood Borne isn't.

Best on PS4 is all I saw there.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@Shewgenja:

What makes it the best on PS4 ?

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

For comparison, Dark Souls 2 shipped 1.5 million in a month on 2 platforms with very large install bases. Bloodborne sold over 1 million in 12 days on an install base of 20.5 million. I'd say it's well on its way for 3 million+ sold lifetime.

Should also be getting DLC. Hopefully there's an E3 announcement.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

1 million in 12 days for a niche title.?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shewgenja

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Shewgenja:

What makes it the best on PS4 ?

I think the main advantage will be the growing userbase for online battles.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Desmonic  Moderator

@musicalmac: Visceral Tongue Attacks. Oh that would be glorious (and absurdly creepy at the same time)!! lol