Black Mesa surpassed Doom as Game of the gen.

• 67 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25377 Posts

Hello friends,

Currently Playing Black Mesa and my goodness, its so freaking good. it give me exact same feeling that Half life 1 and Half life 2 gave me first time except this game is also better than Half life 2 imo. although i already played it back in 2012 when they released free mod but since then i was waiting for full fledge version and i got it.

Its almost same game as Half life 1 but complete overhaul in a a terms of gameplay and storyline too since it feature characters by name instead of generic faces. and kudos to crowbar collective for putting thier effort into it.

I never believed it would complete and always be in beta but its now complete and released in full state.

the level design is amazing like original HL. its creative, no hand holdy or arrow show where to go. you have to figure out everything. its kinda strange that fans have made much better game today than most AAA developers did in recent years.

and For me It surpassed every game released this gen as Game of gen. or I would say Its Game that start Excellent decade. with this and Doom Eternal.

Its masterpiece and easily 10/10 game.

so anyone believe its best game released this gen? lets discuss my friends.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46979 Posts

Xen is pretty awesome

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59760 Posts

It's good.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Xen levels are certainly better. However, they seem less 'Xen' and feel more like Pandora in Avatar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Better than Doom (2016)? Yes. Better than Half Life 2? Let's not get crazy now...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@pinkribbonscars said:

Better than Doom (2016)? Yes. Better than Half Life 2? Let's not get crazy now...

Yes it is better than Half life 2.

In HL2 you cant shoot NPC. here you can.

also gunplay in HL1 was superior but HL2 actually evolved in graphics and physics. here imagine HL1 with better graphics than HL2 and physics of HL2.

its better game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 71214 Posts

Your standards are pretty low so, this doesn't say much.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10675 Posts

just playing through it. was a little insulted the default graphic settings it chose for me was "potato." other than that i've been impressed with the overall polish and authenticity. last time i played bm several years ago it was really buggy, everything seems to be ironed out now. there's definitely moments playing it that make me reminisce misty eyed about the days when games were individual, creative and charismatic like this

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever

@Pedro said:

Your standards are pretty low so, this doesn't say much.

So the good standard is liking dumbed down FPS with regen health and MP, cinematic third person crap, boring open world games and RPG looter shooter.

this game sum up everything wrong with industry today.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@ghosts4ever: Thanks for confirming my point.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever
@Macutchi said:

just playing through it. was a little insulted the default graphic settings it chose for me was "potato." other than that i've been impressed with the overall polish and authenticity. last time i played bm several years ago it was really buggy, everything seems to be ironed out now. there's definitely moments playing it that make me reminisce misty eyed about the days when games were individual, creative and charismatic like this

Exactly. this is indie game made by fans but manage to be more creative than most of AAA games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Doom was never the "game of the gen" just another fail in the long list of fails for the ban dodging OP.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:

Doom was never the "game of the gen"

I respect your opinion but for me it was until i played Black mesa.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58865 Posts

Dude Black Mesa is a pretty great tribute to an even better source game...

...but it's not that great.

I don't mean to imply it's not great (hence the "that" in "that great"), but settle down.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

Dude Black Mesa is a pretty great tribute to an even better source game...

...but it's not that great.

I don't mean to imply it's not great (hence the "that" in "that great"), but settle down.

Everything is always the best thing ever made, or the worst thing ever made with Ghosts.

It's the most black or white mentality I've ever seen. No shades of grey. It's either god tier, or unplayable trash.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Can you shoot lamps in Black Mesa? Because I think it's pretty well established in Ghosts4ever lore that any game where you can't it's the worst game ever made.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23742 Posts

Guys, actually try to imagine for a sec, what it must be like to think Doom 2016 was the best game this gen.

Then imagine how floored Ghosts will be if he ever decides to step out of his zone and try better games.

Not gonna lie, I almost envy him for it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64042 Posts

Half Life 1 wasn’t even the best game of its year, much less an entire generation. It wasn’t even as good as its own mods.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

Half Life 1 wasn’t even the best game of its year, much less an entire generation. It wasn’t even as good as its own mods.

you mean first ever FPS to focus on story, have creative level design and was the game that revolutionize FPS?

how was not it best game of 1998. or in else, HL1 was game that made 1998 one of the best year.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

Yikes. If that's the case, this gen is terrible.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever

@AfterShafter said:

Yikes. If that's the case, this gen is terrible.

Why?

we never had masterpiece like Doom, Doom Eternal and Black Mesa last gen. instead FPS genre was dominate by 4 hour scripted COD like games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: He is simple minded that is all.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3342 Posts

I find it really shocking that this game was announced 15 years ago. I thought back then that years after development that the people behind it would eventually quit and move on seeing that it was taking them a very long time to make it.

And then they released the free version without the Xen levels back in 2012 and I thought that they would finish the entire game in a couple of years but instead it ended up being another eight years to be finally finished.

I never thought that this game would ever come out but it did. I wonder what the people who made Black Mesa will do now that they finally completed this game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

@AcidTango said:

I find it really shocking that this game was announced 15 years ago. I thought back then that years after development that the people behind it would eventually quit and move on seeing that it was taking them a very long time to make it.

And then they released the free version without the Xen levels back in 2012 and I thought that they would finish the entire game in a couple of years but instead it ended up being another eight years to be finally finished.

I never thought that this game would ever come out but it did. I wonder what the people who made Black Mesa will do now that they finally completed this game.

Hundreds of freelance modders worked on the project. Some made a gun model, some made a level and others still were with the project from beginning to end.

There are only two reasons for why this succeeded:

-The heads of the project knew what they were doing and dedicated a lot of time to it
-Valve was nice enough to allow this to happen and to allow this 'mod' (back in 2012) to be sold on steam.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jg4xchamp
@ghosts4ever said:

you mean first ever FPS to focus on story, have creative level design and was the game that revolutionize FPS?

how was not it best game of 1998. or in else, HL1 was game that made 1998 one of the best year.

Wasn't even the best PC exclusive you fucking loser. Starcraft n Thief 1 are that year. And we all know you are way too smooth brain to actually play Starcraft.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp
@ConanTheStoner said:

Guys, actually try to imagine for a sec, what it must be like to think Doom 2016 was the best game this gen.

Then imagine how floored Ghosts will be if he ever decides to step out of his zone and try better games.

Not gonna lie, I almost envy him for it.

Ghost's lone saving grace is that Doom 4 is probably a better best game of the gen choice, than most of this forums pick lol.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Wasn't even the best PC exclusive you fucking loser. Starcraft n Thief 1 are that year. And we all know you are way too smooth brain to actually play Starcraft.

Best PC exclusive of all time is and will always be STALKER champ but there is no way Starcraft was better than Half life. but they are different games so why compare?

Half life 1 was ahead of 1998, no game was like that during that era.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghosts4ever
@R4gn4r0k said:
@AcidTango said:

Hundreds of freelance modders worked on the project. Some made a gun model, some made a level and others still were with the project from beginning to end.

-The heads of the project knew what they were doing and dedicated a lot of time to it

-Valve was nice enough to allow this to happen and to allow this 'mod' (back in 2012) to be sold on steam.

and maybe valve will fund them so let them make Half life 3 so valve can focus on anything VR crap or whatever.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Best PC exclusive of all time is and will always be STALKER champ but there is no way Starcraft was better than Half life. but they are different games so why compare?

Half life 1 was ahead of 1998, no game was like that during that era.

In this case I agree with you my freind.

Starcraft and Thief were good, but Halflife rocked the universe with greatness, especially Xen.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jg4xchamp
@uninspiredcup said:

Starcraft and Thief were good, but Halflife rocked the universe with greatness, especially Xen.

Starcraft owned Korea and is still to this day one of the richest competitive games going.

Half Life is the first harbinger of death of fun in FPS. Hold that.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8529 Posts

While Bethesda has taken out mods from Doom and sue every single indie dev they can.Blizzard are trying to own mods. SO, thank you Valve!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@pc_rocks said:

While Bethesda has taken out mods from Doom and sue every single indie dev they can.Blizzard are trying to own mods. SO, thank you Valve!

well bethesda have not sue john rumero who made sigil mode of Doom.

@jg4xchamp said:

come on champ, always wrong,

This game change the face of FPS genre. show that FPS can be pure story driven.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AcidTango

@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

and maybe valve will fund them so let them make Half life 3 so valve can focus on anything VR crap or whatever.

I doubt Valve will ever let them make Half-Life 3. Maybe they will let them do Opposing Force and Blue Shift but not Half-Life 3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup
@jg4xchamp said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Starcraft owned Korea and is still to this day one of the richest competitive games going.

So's Counterstrike. And that is directly thanks to Halflife being built with the mod community in mind, including hiring them during and after development.

This extends to Team Fortress, which started with Quake but quickly migrated to Valve thanks to it's support.

Hell, the game you gas up Rainbow 6 Siege has a direct path right back to Valve.

Valve shouldn't be held accountable for mediocre imitators.

Ghost is right, unfortunately, he's proved his FPS chops.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever

@AcidTango said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I doubt Valve will ever let them make Half-Life 3. Maybe they will let them do Opposing Force and Blue Shift but not Half-Life 3.

or how about Half life 2 remake. or say black mesa 2 on source engine 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@AcidTango said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update/

Loading Video...

There is very little to update visually compared to Halflife (1), the engine itself has had upgrades as years went on with Orange Box stuff, and blinking.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AcidTango

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AcidTango said:

Loading Video...

There is very little to update visually compared to Halflife (1), the engine itself has had upgrades as years went on with Orange Box stuff, and blinking.

Sorry ghost but I have to agree with uninspiredcup here. Half-Life 2 aged way better then Half-Life did visually and since it got a lot of updates since its release from ether Valve or from modders, there isn't really any point to do a Half-Life 2 remake anytime soon. I can only see the Crowbar Collective team doing the remakes for both Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever

@AcidTango said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AcidTango said:

Loading Video...

Sorry ghost but I have to agree with uninspiredcup here. Half-Life 2 aged way better then Half-Life did visually and since it got a lot of updates since its release from ether Valve or from modders, there isn't really any point to do a Half-Life 2 remake anytime soon. I can only see the Crowbar Collective team doing the remakes for both Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

HL2 doesnot age well. its gunplay is inferior to original game.

come on. its 2004 game. Black Mesa 2 should be released by 2024. a 20 year anniversary of Half life 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@AcidTango said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AcidTango said:

Loading Video...

come on. its 2004 game. Black Mesa 2 should be released by 2024. a 20 year anniversary of Half life 2.

MMod + Update

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AcidTango said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Loading Video...

MMod + Update

ok. will try it in future. I beat HL2 so many times im sick of it actually.

proper remake/overhaul will make me return to it once again.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AcidTango

@ghosts4ever said:

I'm talking about the graphics visually, not the gunplay and combat. I know that remakes are more then just better graphics but ether way I don't see the need for a Half-Life 2 remake anytime soon. Also even if they did do a remake of Half-Life 2, there is no way in hell that game will come out around 2024.

dude_sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dude_sh
Member since 2019 • 47 Posts

Its ok but it doesnt feel that different for me....Also the soldiers ai has a aimbot like abiliity . the original also had it but it seems even worse here. its just not fun that you can die soo fast in combat.

and if they would make the "gravity gun" playble it this game, it would make it soo much better.

i bought it last year, but i didnt try the "full" new xen yet, only like 2 levels of the beta.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup

@dude_sh said:

Its ok but it doesnt feel that different for me....the soldiers ai has a aimbot like abiliity, its not fun.

and if they would make the "gravity gun" playble it this game, it would make it soo much better.

i bought it last year, but i didnt try the "full" new xen yet, only like 2 levels of the beta.

That's the thing, the soldiers move around at lighting speed with auto-lock, while you are like a bulky tank hobbling around with a shit ton of kick-back.

The run animation can get fucked.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@dude_sh said:

Its ok but it doesnt feel that different for me....the soldiers ai has a aimbot like abiliity, its not fun.

That's the thing, the soldiers move around at lighting speed with auto-lock, while you are like a bulky tank hobbling around with a shit ton of kick-back.

The run animation can get fucked.

there is option always run. turn it on. problem solved.

by default walk option is terrible. it also involved console sprint where your weapon and hand move while running.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup

Pointless iron-sights were added as well, totally out of place.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 228

#46  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 18017 Posts

I am playing it right now and while the enemy AI is dynamic, I can't help but laugh a bit at how the combat looks with the soldiers. It feels like I am playing against deathmatch bots. They move so fast and are so shifty. It is silly. Then there are the Lambda ninja girls who are absolutely ridiculous. LOL

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

just play steam version. it doesnot have any iron sight at all.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

just play steam version. it doesnot have any iron sight at all.

It's the revolvers secondary.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Gross as it feels, I gotta agree with Ghost on this one. I remember declaring Black Mesa to be the best FPS of the gen when I played one of the mod versions like 3 years ago. Been itching to play it again since then, but I decided to wait for the final version. Probably gonna get started today.

As for what Crowbar Collective does next? Their Facebook page says they're taking a much needed break after monitoring the first couple weeks of the full release for possible emergency bug fixes. After that, I really hope the rumors are true and that they're gonna do Blue Shift and Opposing Force.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ghosts4ever

I actually enjoy fighting with HECU. they run faster so you can (if you turn on always run) and its hilarious.

they dont take cover like most modern AAA games. they run and can shoot and kill you easily.

plus gunplay is super good.