Black Friday may be over, but Steam and CyberMonday are still go! - SWM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
My Question: If it hadn't been a Zelda game would the score be different? I'm not suggesting he may have been biased against Zelda or Nintendo , but does Skyward Sword simply not live up to the standards set by other games in the series?
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
My Question: Does Skyward Sword simply not live up to the standards set by other games in the series? meetroid8
I think this is the perfect question to ask.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#154 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

INTERVIEW WITH TOM McSHEA

Willy105:

Do not think I'm exaggerating when I say that you have become Gamespot's most popular reviewer. You even have your own meme on the Gamespot forums. Before, Kevin VanOrd was the one causing riots, but now you are the king. How does that make you feel?

McShea: I'm not sure I would use the word "popular" to describe my place in the System's War forum. I'd say that my reviews are divisive, and that causes a strong reaction from both sides. I tend to be harsh in my criticism, and have no problem saying a mega-hyped game is merely "Good"; this is a strong contrast to how reviews are often handled in this industry. Honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable that I've become a bit of a meme, but I only know how to express myself one way. I'm brutally honest and don't sugar coat the problems I see, so if you're eagerly anticipating a new release, that could put you in a sour mood.

Your opinion of Skyward Sword's controls were very different than those of other reviewers. Why is that? What is your opinion of motion control in general?

As anyone who has followed me should know, controls are the single most important element of a game to me. If they aren't responsive all the time, I get frustrated, because it's a problem that could have been averted had the developers been more conscious of the experience they were creating. In the case of Skyward Sword, the controls function as they should most of the time, but that's not enough. When I swing and it doesn't register, or I point toward the screen but Link looks at the ground, I get angry. Nintendo usually sets the standard for controls, so I'm shocked they would release a game in this state.

As for motion controls in general, I like them, but it seems as though many developers struggle with how to implement them. Games like No More Heroes and Super Mario Galaxy are made better, because flicking your wrist complements a more traditional scheme. By letting some actions be controlled with motion while others use the stick or buttons, it makes things feel more natural than when motion controls are forced into places they don't belong. I think the future for motion controls looks good and developers will understand this balance better the more time they spend with the technology.

You made an error in your review regarding the game's controls (which has since been amended by the time of this writing). Do you think that an error like that might unintentionally affect your opinion (and therefore the review) of the game?

Not at all. In my original text, I said that aiming was handled by the infared sensor, when it's actually controlled by the gyroscopes. Ultimately, you point at the screen no matter which method the controller is using, so, for the player, the result is the same. My problem with the aiming is that you have to recenter your view often, and that's true no matter what the underlying technology is.

What would you like to see Zelda change in it's formula?

More freedom. The strange thing is, The Legend of Zelda (the first game in the series) had this freedom, and the series just went away from it through the years. Part of the problem is that you're confined in a linear path, shuffled from one dungeon to the next, with only cursory exploration. Recent Zelda games are adventures that have you on a leash the whole time. I wish they would remove the leash. Let me enter dungeons out of order. Give me multiple ways to access off-the-path routes, so if I don't have the hookshot yet, I can still use my bombs to open up a road. Make me feel as if I'm forging my own path rather than just doing exactly what the developer wants, when they want it.
Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Your experience is going to be nearly identical to mine. Everyone will take the same path, see the same enemies, solve puzzles the same way, and so on and so forth. I'd love to see Nintendo use The Legend of Zelda as a blueprint for their next game rather than Ocarina for the umpteenth time.

Have you ever peeked down on the forums to see the reaction of readers over a review score, even if you didn't write the review?

Oh yeah, I love seeing how the community reacts to our content. And I'm always relived when they're angry at someone other than me. :)

Do you feel your part as a reviewer should be an immense influence on people deciding which games to buy, or should they just simply be an informative opinion?

My role is to give an informed opinion. I try to paint an accurate picture of my experience, and you can judge for yourself if that sounds like something you would enjoy. I'd like to think that people who read my review of Skyward Sword will know exactly what to expect when they play the game themselves. Their opinion may be different from mine, but I don't think they're going to be surprised with what's on the disc.

Is there something you would like to say to those users who would have your head on a pike over your review scores?

Play the game before you claim I was somehow unfair. And also understand that people have different opinions from your own. My job is not tell you what you want to hear or make sure my score is the same as the Metacritic average. Also, remember that we do have a 1-10 scale. I consider an 8 to be an excellent score (I gave my last three Game of the Years 8.5), so realize that amazing games can get a sub-9 score.

Also, 7.5 means Very Good. It means that I liked the game and you most likely will, too.

Do your reviews give you the same amount of lulz that they give us?

I don't think my reviews are particularly funny, no.

Can you change the score?

Nope!

Please?

Sorry

Rate System Wars The Magazine and it's contributors in a score out of 10. (Hint: The hype is AA)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#155 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Sounds like he wants Zelda to turn into The Elder Scrolls.

Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Enforcedspot
Member since 2010 • 2915 Posts
good interview willy, I enjoy it. I feel like i'm the only one is not mad at tom, i respect his opinion giving 7.5 though. Everybody has a different opinion. :)
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 ActionRemix
I completely agree with the interview. I would love to see more freedom in Zelda. Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda games ever for precisely this reason. Some of you will be very shocked to find that Skyward Sword has the least amount of freedom in the series by far.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Time to put the Wii away I guess.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Time to put the Wii away I guess. Heil68
as if you were ever going to buy it in the first place

Avatar image for Captain_Lorelli
Captain_Lorelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Captain_Lorelli
Member since 2004 • 1078 Posts

Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Time to put the Wii away I guess. Heil68

Or, you could stop worshipping Tom as your gaming messiah.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Willy105

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Time to put the Wii away I guess. Captain_Lorelli

I think Heil was being sarcastic.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Time to put the Wii away I guess. Captain_Lorelli

I wonder if he consults tom before choosing what to have for lunch
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 meetroid8

DarkLink77
More freedom is always a good thing, something that, yes, Elder Scrolls does very well, I see no problem with Zelda taking pointers from games that are superior to it in certain areas.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

meetroid8
More freedom is always a good thing, something that, yes, Elder Scrolls does very well, I see no problem with Zelda taking pointers from games that are superior to it in certain areas.

TES sucks.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Time to put the Wii away I guess. Shinobishyguy

I bought TP *again* to freshen up for this game, hoping it would deliver the goods.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Willy105

I agree with Tom in that the games should be less linear.

Something like Megaman woud be awesome in Zelda, being able to choose which dungeon to go to first, and use the item for the dungeon in later dungeons.

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

meetroid8

And hopefully Bethesda would take pointers from the Zelda games with polish and markmanship.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 meetroid8
[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

TES sucks.

Well congratulations sir, you have destroyed my entire argument. :P
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Heil68

DarkLink77

TES sucks.

And apparently so does SS. *shrug*
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 ActionRemix

DarkLink77

TES sucks.

I think you might give Skyrim the win in a head to head with Skyward Sword. Shocking, i know! :P
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#170 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Posted the intreview in the hype thread.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Skyward Sword is predictable and lacks a sense of adventure because everything is so structured and confined. Time to put the Wii away I guess. Heil68

I bought TP *again* to freshen up for this game, hoping it would deliver the goods.

and guess what, you ended up liking that game despite the flop here
elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

good interview willy, I enjoy it. I feel like i'm the only one is not mad at tom, i respect his opinion giving 7.5 though. Everybody has a different opinion. :) Enforcedspot

Agreed, good interview. I'm more mad/annoyed with all the people overreacting to the score and looking for any and all means to debunk his score. Especially when not having played it themselfs. There are some really far fetched conspiracy type posts in the sticky.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#173 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

That interview with Tom was pretty funny. I think in the future we know in advance if he is reviewing a game before we set a hype score since he seems so nitpicky. Its like he expects the same to be flawless in every aspect

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="meetroid8"] More freedom is always a good thing, something that, yes, Elder Scrolls does very well, I see no problem with Zelda taking pointers from games that are superior to it in certain areas.

TES sucks.

So many places to go and nothing interesting to do once you get there. That's TES in a nutshell.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Good interview and I respect Tom's opinion more than ever. One thing I greatly enjoyed about Wind Waker was just how open it was. You could sail to a mryiad of islands and there was always something interesting on each one. While I'm sure when I play Zelda I'll enjoy it because I've always loved Zelda games, I don't think I'll like it greater than Wind Waker.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="meetroid8"] More freedom is always a good thing, something that, yes, Elder Scrolls does very well, I see no problem with Zelda taking pointers from games that are superior to it in certain areas.

TES sucks.

I think you might give Skyrim the win in a head to head with Skyward Sword. Shocking, i know! :P

I doubt it. The combat is boring as all f***.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#177 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
SM3DL scoring an 8 was kind of expected, and it's still a fine score. plus the review made it sound deserved, so that's what counts. as for the interview, you gotta give it to him, he's got balls to show up and keep his head up. he has a lot to say about zelda and, honestly, i don't hold him on any of his criticisms except for one: he's still describing the aiming process wrong. and that's what's concerning me. had he given zelda a 7.5 with all the complaints he had aside from the aiming one (even the "swordplay fails at times" complaint), i'd say "ok, fine, that's what you have to say about it. i'm sure i'll disagree with you mostly, but you're ok". but it's his constant affirmation that he points at the screen to aim with the bow (which is wrong and causes link to draw the bow looking at the floor) that makes me question his judgment. either he's having trouble expressing what he did, or he is, in fact, playing the game wrong (as far as his complaints with the bow go).
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Willy105

Good interview and I respect Tom's opinion more than ever. One thing I greatly enjoyed about Wind Waker was just how open it was. You could sail to a mryiad of islands and there was always something interesting on each one. While I'm sure when I play Zelda I'll enjoy it because I've always loved Zelda games, I don't think I'll like it greater than Wind Waker.

commonfate

Yeah, Wind Waker had the perfect overworld.

The sheer emotion of seeing a distant island in the distance, and actually being able to sail over there and explore the island is simply magic.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#180 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Nice interview,I like when a reviewer speaks his mind and doesn´t get caugth in the hype of some games. Good stuff.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]So many places to go and nothing interesting to do once you get there. That's TES in a nutshell.

VS. one place to go and nothing interesting to do when you get there. Which do you prefer? :P

I doubt SS will be as boring as Skyrim.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]So many places to go and nothing interesting to do once you get there. That's TES in a nutshell.

VS. one place to go and nothing interesting to do when you get there. Which do you prefer? :P

wind waker begs to differ. yes, it follows a pretty much linear path on its story. but there is a lot to explore, and each new island has a new challenge and secret. now i don't know about skyward sword, but it was looking like they were going that route again, at least from the previews.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ActionRemix
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]wind waker begs to differ. yes, it follows a pretty much linear path on its story. but there is a lot to explore, and each new island has a new challenge and secret. now i don't know about skyward sword, but it was looking like they were going that route again, at least from the previews.

You're right, Wind Waker WAS explorative. I'm not kidding when I say this game is linear. It's as free roam as Super Mario Galaxy. The sky islands are just for show. They just have treasure chests on them that you can only open by activating a cube on the overworld. And then a beacon appears on your map telling you which island to go to pick up the treasure.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 meetroid8
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] TES sucks.

So many places to go and nothing interesting to do once you get there. That's TES in a nutshell.

I could agree with that, but I would argue that the best part of the game actually is the "going there". Something that it seems SS may have lost. But without playing it, I can't really say.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Kudos to Tom for not giving in and changing the score. Integrity >>> cuddling to a fan base.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Willy105

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]So many places to go and nothing interesting to do once you get there. That's TES in a nutshell.DarkLink77

It's certainly looks less boring:

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]So many places to go and nothing interesting to do once you get there. That's TES in a nutshell.Willy105

It's certainly looks less boring. {/QUOTE] Now if only I could play the game at 1080p. *sigh*

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Big props for Tom, he had the fortitude now to back down from the hate

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]wind waker begs to differ. yes, it follows a pretty much linear path on its story. but there is a lot to explore, and each new island has a new challenge and secret. now i don't know about skyward sword, but it was looking like they were going that route again, at least from the previews.

You're right, Wind Waker WAS explorative. I'm not kidding when I say this game is linear. It's as free roam as Super Mario Galaxy. The sky islands are just for show. They just have treasure chests on them that you can only open by activating a cube on the overworld. And then a beacon appears on your map telling you which island to go to pick up the treasure.

well, then that's a shame. but then again majora's mask had almost no exploration and still managed to do so much. let's see in a week or two how i'll react to it. after all, people reacted badly to TP's overworld, and while i'll grant it has design flaws that hinder flow and exploration, and that sidequests were lacking in quantity and quality, i still enjoyed the world a lot.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#190 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Now if only I could play the game at 1080p. *sigh*

DarkLink77

Yeah,about that....

:P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ActionRemix"]VS. one place to go and nothing interesting to do when you get there. Which do you prefer? :PWilly105

It's certainly looks less boring:

dude.

that distance blur.

it's not a blur, it's a f***ing painting :shock:

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 ActionRemix

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Arach666

Yeah,about that....

I'd recommend this to anyone that is able. I'm playing on Wii and there's jaggies everywhere and the framerate dips.
stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

don't we all complain about how screwed up the scoring system is? How every decent game seems to get 8 to 10 and anything below it is seen as bad? This is a pretty good example of why it is this way. He awarded it a 7.5 and for those that can't interpret the number it also says "GOOD" underneath it in plain english. Still people explode saying that the game is horrible, no the game is godly the reviewer is just a retard no he's trolling, and on and on.

Not to mention all the "it's below the metacritic" argument... so the review is biased because he didn't look at the metacritic and just give it the same score? That is a bit insane if you ask me. I'd find it odd if there wasn't some variation in the ratings. I've yet to find a game that literally everybody appreciates to the same degree. I bet if you let everyone you know play a game and then ask them to rate it on a 10 point scale you'd get a lot of different responses. I doubt you'd call people that didn't agree with the average score a liar or an idiot, but with game critics having their own opinions is apparently not to be tolerated.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 BrunoBRS

don't we all complain about how screwed up the scoring system is? How every decent game seems to get 8 to 10 and anything below it is seen as bad? This is a pretty good example of why it is this way. He awarded it a 7.5 and for those that can't interpret the number it also says "GOOD" underneath it in plain english. Still people explode saying that the game is horrible, no the game is godly the reviewer is just a retard no he's trolling, and on and on.

stizz-
the issue people are having is understandable. "good" gives the idea of "it's good, but not great, and definitely not outstanding". because, you know, those are the other "positive" grades a game can get on GS without being called "perfect". so if they expect their game to be amazing, saying what i just said last paragraph is taken as an insult to the game, even if the review is still positive.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]wind waker begs to differ. yes, it follows a pretty much linear path on its story. but there is a lot to explore, and each new island has a new challenge and secret. now i don't know about skyward sword, but it was looking like they were going that route again, at least from the previews.BrunoBRS

well, then that's a shame. but then again majora's mask had almost no exploration and still managed to do so much. let's see in a week or two how i'll react to it. after all, people reacted badly to TP's overworld, and while i'll grant it has design flaws that hinder flow and exploration, and that sidequests were lacking in quantity and quality, i still enjoyed the world a lot.

I enjoyed Twilight Princess a lot tbh. It wasn't mind blowing or particularly innovative but damn I had a fun time playing through it.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Awesome interview! I like Tom even more now :oops:
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

If this game was reviewed for what it is, ignoring past games, what would it have scored?SaltyMeatballs

If you read the reviewing process it actually states they cannot hold a game up or compare it too its past games.

"First and foremost, our reviews are an assessment of one particular game at a time. We approach each review assignment without assuming anything about the quality of the game, irrespective of prerelease preview coverage, the history of any previous games in the series, any perceptions about the developer's or publisher's track records, and so forth. That is, every game we review gets a fair shake, and is treated with the same level of care and attention with which we approach every review assignment."

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Arach666

Yeah,about that....

Don't bother. It plays like **** and the art/blur filter doesn't work correctly like it does on the Wii.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
I played infamous 2 and thought it was a god awful review so his comments on "play it before you..." are not sound
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#200 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
lol you guys flopped.