Bioshock infinite review changed, now has a 4 instead of 9.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#101 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Seems more accurate than the first time they reviewed it.

the330and419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 the330and419
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

I agree. It was garbage.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

Funny

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

It's an overrated, corridor shooter with no soul. It deserves that score.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#105 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Ellen Page simulator: 9.0

Bioshock Infinite: 4.0

"My name is Tom McShea and I'm here to write shitty reviews for page hits."

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@danten81 said:

@AmayaPapaya said:

I think Infinite is awesome. I don't understand the hate it gets sometimes.

It's a polarizing game. I hate it, but others seem to love it.

You may hate it, but if you are to be completely honest, there is no way you would give this game a 4/10. You may dislike it, but it is not a broken game, which is what a 4 would suggest. It atleast is a 6/10.

No a broken game would be a 1 or 2. 4 would be a functional game that isn't all that enjoyable.
I hate how people like you are dumbing down reviews to the point that anything below 9 isn't worth looking at.

Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Razor_defiace
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts

Even though I really disliked Bioshock Infinite. I think it doesn't deserve a 4 on a 10 scale.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It's going to be amazing when some past flops like Skyward Sword and The Last of Us get re-reviewed by Carolyn Petite, and she not-so-fasts McShea with something like a 3.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

@toast_burner:

@toast_burner said:

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@danten81 said:

@AmayaPapaya said:

You may hate it, but if you are to be completely honest, there is no way you would give this game a 4/10. You may dislike it, but it is not a broken game, which is what a 4 would suggest. It atleast is a 6/10.

No a broken game would be a 1 or 2. 4 would be a functional game that isn't all that enjoyable.

I hate how people like you are dumbing down reviews to the point that anything below 9 isn't worth looking at.

So "a functional game that isn't all that enjoyable" is a poor game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner:

@toast_burner said:

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@danten81 said:

@AmayaPapaya said:

Yes. Being enjoyable is a very important aspect for any game.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 rjdofu

@toast_burner said:

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner:

@toast_burner said:

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@danten81 said:

@AmayaPapaya said:

As long as there're aspects of the game that are enjoyable; in this case: Gorgeous visual design, Amazing soundtrack, IN ADDITION to being a functional game, the game is not a 4/10.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner said:

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner:

As long as there're aspects of the game that are enjoyable; in this case: Gorgeous visual design, Amazing soundtrack, IN ADDITION to being a functional game, the game is not a 4/10.

You are aware reviews are just opinions? To some people art and sound simply isn't enough.

Not sure why this very simple concept is hard to grasp for some people.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner:

@toast_burner said:

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@danten81 said:

@AmayaPapaya said:

I don't know about you but Bioshock Infinite was the first game in the series that I played from start to finish without really putting it down. Overall, it was enjoyable game the whole way through, with certain glaring problems in design (f*ck the final boss fight and the three-part ghost bullshit). Today, I'd give the game an 8.0 for combining a really engaging narrative and setting with "okay" gameplay, though the mechanical shallowness becomes more apparent the more you play. At the very least I see this game getting a 7.0.

I agree that enjoyment is fundamental to any game, but to say that Bioshock Infinite was not enjoyable at all is pretty unbelievable. There are games that were not enjoyable at all who rightfully deserved below-5 scores: Final Fantasy XIV 1.0, Resident Evil 6. To equate Bioshock Infinite to such broken, unplayable, and un-fun games is disingenuous. To me it reeks of a personal vendetta against the game spurred by the high acclaim it received following its release rather than an honest, fair assessment of how Infinite holds up today.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By rjdofu

@toast_burner said:

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner said:

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner:

You are aware reviews are just opinions? To some people art and sound simply isn't enough.

Not sure why this very simple concept is hard to grasp for some people.

If you're free, read my post from last page where I pointed out how contradictory his opinion is. You can't just jump around and say "lalala it's my opinion" while you can't even be consistent with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@princeofshapeir said:

@toast_burner said:

I don't know about you but Bioshock Infinite was the first game in the series that I played from start to finish without really putting it down. Overall, it was enjoyable game the whole way through, with certain glaring problems in design (f*ck the final boss fight and the three-part ghost bullshit). Today, I'd give the game an 8.0 for combining a really engaging narrative and setting with "okay" gameplay, though the mechanical shallowness becomes more apparent the more you play. At the very least I see this game getting a 7.0.

I agree that enjoyment is fundamental to any game, but to say that Bioshock Infinite was not enjoyable at all is pretty unbelievable. There are games that were not enjoyable at all who rightfully deserved below-5 scores: Final Fantasy XIV 1.0, Resident Evil 6. To equate Bioshock Infinite to such broken, unplayable, and un-fun games is disingenuous. To me it reeks of a personal vendetta against the game spurred by the high acclaim it received following its release rather than an honest, fair assessment of how Infinite holds up today.

Lets return to that very simple concept I discussed earlier, OPINIONS

Nothing is objectively enjoyable or boring. He could say it's the most boring game ever made and it's as valid as you saying it's enjoyable.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-10-sources-grand-theft-auto-5-out-on-pc-early-2014

lightleggy: new site is hard to sign in yo. Btw pc gta6 is coming out yo

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 rjdofu

@toast_burner said:

Nothing is objectively enjoyable or boring. He could say it's the most boring game ever made and it's as valid as you saying it's enjoyable.

I normally call an opinion without sufficient or reasonable back up bullshit.

killjoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#118 killjoi
Member since 2002 • 10005 Posts
@Blake135 said:

I think the Score is alittle Low but I agree with the written review 100%. I was saying these certain points months ago but people were still stuck in the honey moon period, it was a overhyped game that didn't live up to its prequel.

McShea enlightened me on a lot of things that I had sensed but not realized. I kind of wish I hadn't read the review because of it. I do agree that the score is a little sensational and if nothing else, lends to the argument that we shouldn't use scores

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@rjdofu said:

@toast_burner said:

I normally call an opinion without sufficient or reasonable back up bullshit.

So claiming it's an enjoyable game without backing it up (like that guy did) is bullshit.

It's not bullshit to not back up your opinion with reasoning. It's just entirely useless information.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

It's actually a neat idea to have multiple reviews from multiple people for a game. I wonder how it'll fit in the SW meta game.

I totally disagree with McShea though, like most of his reviews. Bioshock is waaaaay beter than a 4

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

It's not amazing, but a 4/10 seems a bit harsh.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

I seem to be one of the only ones here who thinks it deserves a 9.0

lel

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#123 ubergusterfan
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

It seems like people have either forgotten or didn't read, but gamespot is now offering differing reviews. They are not changing the review score. As you can see, the 9.0 original review is still there. They are trying to offer differing viewpoints now, and so this is just an example of that.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

Reviewing this game myself i probably wouldnt give it more than a 5...easily the purchase i regret the most from the games i bought this year....pretty to look at but a complete chore to play....it's beauty is only skin deep. The annoying thing is i actually trusted the GS initial review enough to buy it... if only we'd had a review which highlights the GAMEPLAY flaws like this one did back then i could have saved myself some money.... that was pretty much the last time i trusted a GS review to give me good advice about what games are and arnt worth my time and money.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Lol, no wonder i have not bothered finish it, loved the 1st game tho :P

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

This will could change system wars dramatically...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#127  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@rjdofu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@rjdofu said:

A 4, are you fvcking serious? That's a score for games that fundamentally bad, something like nonfunctional gunplay or full of glitches.

That's stupid as f*ck. You can make a game not broken, be poorly designed as hell. A tedious game is a bad game. It doesn't need to be loaded with glitches and bugs to be considered poor/bad/not worth spitting on.

Cut the bullshit, it's fvcking clear that Tom was trying to nitpick and shit on the game to prove how damn different he is from others. Tom's lack of an understanding about the twist just reflex his knowledge about the game in general. Nitpicking the gameplay, complaining about how the main character got ressurected once he falls in battle (WTF), while giving shit like Beyond 2 Souls a free pass. And you calling me stupid, you're full of it dude.

Yeah sure, he can criticize however the fvck he wants, but giving the game a 4/10? Give me a fvcking break, how many games that on this caliber, with excellent art direction, great atmosphere, decent gunplay, excellent sound direction, got a 4/10 aka. a POOR game? How the hell can he come to that conclusion when he can't even support his arguments without contradicting himself or showing how ignorance he is about the game? And how many broken ass games, filled with terrible mechanics & story etc, got the same score. You can argue that different reviewer different score, but fvck, if you're gonna post it on a gaming review site, the scale has to be the same. If that's not hits fishing, I don't know what is.

You mistake my point. I'm not defending Tom's review, the fact that this is the first second review they did speaks volumes for what its real purpose is.

I'm saying that your statement is complete and utter bullshit. You can make a game with great production value, and have it be a fundamentally bad/poor videogame. The scale below 5/10 should not be reserved for games that are simply broken only. "It works" should not be enough to mean badly designed games are automatically mediocre/fair on the premise that "hey it might suck, but at least works". And tedium above all else is definitely a sign of bad game.

And no I didn't call you stupid, but your logic? Completely flawed. You're too focused on the person's background, and his taste in reflection to your own. I'm arguing that from a scale standpoint there is nothing wrong with giving a game like Bioshock Infinite a 4/10 assuming you could argue it correctly.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#128  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@lightleggy said:

Seems Mcshea didnt liked the game

Its not a 4 instead of a 9 .

Kevin Vanord´s review is still there, this is just a review from Tom and his opinion.

ahmed_2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 ahmed_2014
Member since 2007 • 263 Posts

love this game and Lizzy as well

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

You didn't agree our original review? Here, a new feature! Look at this cynical, contrarian, contrived, inane, entitled, and pretentious review. Just to appease the haters, and possibly to stir controversy.

AppeasementSpotâ„¢.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By rjdofu

@jg4xchamp said:

@rjdofu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@rjdofu said:

A 4, are you fvcking serious? That's a score for games that fundamentally bad, something like nonfunctional gunplay or full of glitches.

That's stupid as f*ck. You can make a game not broken, be poorly designed as hell. A tedious game is a bad game. It doesn't need to be loaded with glitches and bugs to be considered poor/bad/not worth spitting on.

Cut the bullshit, it's fvcking clear that Tom was trying to nitpick and shit on the game to prove how damn different he is from others. Tom's lack of an understanding about the twist just reflex his knowledge about the game in general. Nitpicking the gameplay, complaining about how the main character got ressurected once he falls in battle (WTF), while giving shit like Beyond 2 Souls a free pass. And you calling me stupid, you're full of it dude.

Yeah sure, he can criticize however the fvck he wants, but giving the game a 4/10? Give me a fvcking break, how many games that on this caliber, with excellent art direction, great atmosphere, decent gunplay, excellent sound direction, got a 4/10 aka. a POOR game? How the hell can he come to that conclusion when he can't even support his arguments without contradicting himself or showing how ignorance he is about the game? And how many broken ass games, filled with terrible mechanics & story etc, got the same score. You can argue that different reviewer different score, but fvck, if you're gonna post it on a gaming review site, the scale has to be the same. If that's not hits fishing, I don't know what is.

You mistake my point. I'm not defending Tom's review, the fact that this is the first second review they did speaks volumes for what its real purpose is.

I'm saying that your statement is complete and utter bullshit. You can make a game with great production value, and have it be a fundamentally bad/poor videogame. The scale below 5/10 should not be reserved for games that are simply broken only. "It works" should not be enough to mean badly designed games are automatically mediocre/fair on the premise that "hey it might suck, but at least works". And tedium above all else is definitely a sign of bad game.

And no I didn't call you stupid, but your logic? Completely flawed. You're too focused on the person's background, and his taste in reflection to your own. I'm arguing that from a scale standpoint there is nothing wrong with giving a game like Bioshock Infinite a 4/10 assuming you could argue it correctly.

So you went completely out of the context of the topic and chose to argue with half of my point (or in fact, ONLY the very last part of my statement). I don't wanna go into a semantic argument here, but it seems you were too quick to jump into conclusion and so overly argumentative that you've missed what I meant, "something like" =/= only, i was simply give examples of what a fundamentally bad game would be, those 2 are what on top of my head at that time. If you don't accept that argument, then fine, just consider my original statement stupid, I'd agree as well.

But, I have comeback to this case again, because arguing without context is stupid, pointless and is a waste of time. As many have pointed out, you cannot simply give this game a 4/10 without cherry picking and/or using hyperbole. Sure there's nothing wrong with someone giving the game that score, but there's nothing wrong to argue against that score either. Opinions CAN be refuted, if it's based on logical fallacy. That is exactly what happens in this particular case, focusing on Tom background and his previous review is essential for my argument, so that I can expose his bullshit, and his inconsistency for citing a game mechanic to criticize one game while using the similar mechanic to praise the other.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@Inconsistancy said:

You didn't agree our original review? Here, a new feature! Look at this cynical, contrarian, contrived, inane, entitled, and pretentious review. Just to appease the haters, and possibly to stir controversy.

AppeasementSpotâ„¢.

Pretty much.

For a game to receive 4, it would need to be seriously broken and (close to) unplayable, which Infinite is not. The review is laughable.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

Alot of you may not have liked the game. But a 4/10 this game is not.

This ^

McShea is an ***hole. I'm pretty sure he gets his jollies from trolling GS users.

He is certainly allowed to have issues with a game... but there is nothing in Bioshock Infinite that warrants a 4/10 score.

If you think BIoshock Infinite is a 4/10... take a look at games in the past that have scored a 3, 4 or 5 here at GS.... and tell me honestly you think the games are on the same level quality wise.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#134 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

It's his opinion and he is entitled to it. I don't really disagree with most of his criticisms, but i do feel that he over stated them. I loved the game and have beaten it multiple times and have enjoyed it every time.

dzaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 dzaric
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts

Ahh I get it now. Tom McShea is the Quarter to Three guy of GS.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

@PhazonBlazer: Nah, I gave it a 9.5

A well goddamn game!

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#139 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

How is this new review ordeal going to work with flops? First review counts? What if they both release at the same time? Oh my!

Maybe they can either do an average but than Bioshock Infinite will only have a 6.5 out of 10 if they did the average. Or it could be like Game Informer and other magazines that had a second opinion where only the main review counted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Some who's mad about this, I have a question for you plz answer as honestly as possible.

Q: Why are you mad?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#141  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

As I said in the comments for the review, I'm all for a second opinion piece, but if doing such a blatant troll review of a game that is almost 7 months old is what we can expect from them, then don't bother. Why aren't we seeing second opinions for games that are almost out, like Pokemon X/Y or Beyond? Tragically, it seems like this feature is just a poor excuse for the reviewers here to vent about the games they liked or didn't like.

As for a 4/10... lol. I get that some parts of reviews are subjective, but this is just ridiculous. Games that are playable with little to no bugs or function flaws, and including the same features as their peers, should at the very least be considered 5/10. 4/10 puts this right around Lair territory, a game with solid presentation and utterly broken controls. Hell, Sonic 2006 got a 4.4. Reviews have been harsher since then, sure, but for gods sake why would you destroy any credibility you have by nearly equating this with Sonic 06?!

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#142  Edited By Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Haha, I just noticed it wasn't a glitch.

I'm all for it. They should let him re-review every major game of the past 5 years in this fashion, and the entire game industry can witness his glorious self-destructive meltdown

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#143  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

GS so thirsty for hits.

#DaThirst

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#144 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Hahahahahaha this is great!

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#145 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

@heytheredarlin said:

GameSpot is getting pathetic. If this isn't a clickbait review I don't know what is.

Totally. They need to drag more helpless victims into this mess of a redesign.

This site really needed more trash to spruce it up.

Armoured_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Armoured_Mage
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

at least this site has an accurate review now.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Tom seems to write controversial reviews to get attention. He might as well give it a 1

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@lightleggy said:

I guess it's fair to ask for a new SMG2 and GTA IV review then.

Pretty much this....

Strikes me as more tabloid than game reviewing.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Actually Playing this game on 99 mode does make it deeply flawed and unfinnishable. If you don't die then you can complete it pretty easy but dying just 3 to 5 times will put a serious dent in your wallet which will prevent you from buying the upgrades you need to boost your own stats to keep up with the Mega Damage sponges and high damage dealing capabilities of the baddies. This is even worse than the difficulty concepts used in Dark Souls. Also F#ck numbers ! They're a waste of time, and a crappy criteria to used when buying a game.