BioShock Infinite delayed until March

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PCgameruk (1785 posts) -

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/bioshock_infinite/news/bioshock_infinite_delayed_until_march.html

BioShock Infinite has been delayed until March 26, 2013, Irrational Games has announced.

Creative director Ken Levine announced the game's latest delay during a BioShock Infinite event attended by VideoGamer.com.

"Okay, guys, I have some bad news," said Levine. When Rod [Fergusson, Epic's former Production Director] came on the project a couple of months ago and this dude is living in a hotel nearby because he really wanted to work on Infinite he really fell in love with the game. But he said, 'look, Ken, I really think the game would benefit from three or four more weeks'.

"I thought ahead to this conversation and went 'Oh God!'," Levine continued.

"But at the end of the day, we've got to ship a great game. So if it's three or four more weeks, then it's three or four more weeks. So it's March 26th, now."

The game had previously been due to ship globally on Tuesday, February 26, 2013.

BioShock Infinite's delay is the latest in a string of setbacks to impact the game.

The game, which was announced during August 2010, was originally due to launch in October 2012, but later pushed back to February 2013 "to make Infinite into something even more extraordinary".

A Kotaku report also suggested that a number of senior staff departures, including Art director Nate Wells and director of product development Tim Gerritse, design director Jeff McGann, and producer Joe Faulstick, meant that "a significant chunk of the core Infinite team is no longer working on the game".

But Levine suggests that the departures have made little impact on the quality of the game.

"I wish there was an exciting, dramatic story to tell here," he told VideoGamer.com in a separate interview. "Look, you've worked at a company I'm sure you've seen people come and go. For some reason [the departures] got a lot of publicity and I think that a lot of that had to do with the fact that there'd not been much news about the game we'd kind of gone dark. I think that made people worried and made them speculate.

"It's like [our audience] looked at us and went, 'are they hiding something?'," he continued, "but its like I told the team: 'look, guys, you're gonna see these stories, they're going to make you feel bad and then youre gonna move on because ultimately, you'll put a controller into the hands of your audience and then they'll tell us the state of the game'."

And BioShock Infinite certainly left us impressed when we went hands-on with the game earlier in the week.

Head through to our hands-on preview to find out why we described Irrational's next as a "head trip of epic proportions", and how Booker DeWitt's journey through Columbia will leave you awe-struck.

#2 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Sniper must be crying... :P

#3 Posted by tagyhag (15874 posts) -
No problem. Still have hundreds of games to finish. :P
#4 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
Only American console game I was looking forward to in February but I want a AAA title so whatever. Leaves me more money to import alot of Japanese games in February.
#5 Posted by TheEroica (17238 posts) -

i posted on this in the news article, a month is no problem. i was afraid id see a "tbd 2013" and i was gonna lose my shiit. a month is easy given the amount of great games ill get at xmas.

#6 Posted by GhoX (6267 posts) -
Better a delay than a rush job.
#7 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Good. Finish the game properly and make sure it is up to whatever standards are put in place by the development team. We don't need another Bioshock hyped to high-heavens with only passable gameplay.
#8 Posted by mitu123 (155186 posts) -

Considering that so many games are coming in March this is bad for my wallet...

#9 Posted by fr3ddiemercury (494 posts) -
Okay, after so many delays, I am sure this game is going to suck. And dont give me that "quality is the reason" I can't recall a game ever being delayed multiple times and turning out amazing
#10 Posted by Heil68 (57720 posts) -
No big deal, just a little longer to wait for my Song Bird edition.
#11 Posted by freedomfreak (49811 posts) -
Shame about the delay, but it's not a big deal. So many games I want get delayed all time.
#13 Posted by freedomfreak (49811 posts) -
tomb raider and bioshock in one month? aww yeah.TheGuardian03
That's true though :P
#14 Posted by klusps (10386 posts) -

They delayed it to my birthday, nice! :D

#15 Posted by tonitorsi (8685 posts) -

The same month The God of Us releases?

R.I.P. Bioshock....R.I.P.

#16 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

With my backlog this big, I don't care.

#19 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Balls... Oh well, now I don't have to throw down as much $$$ in February. Now it's just Metal Gear Rising and Aliens: Colonial Marines for me.
#20 Posted by TheEroica (17238 posts) -

tonitorsi
You think a new ip for a platform that traditionally has trouble pushing exclusives is going to outsell a monster like bioshock infinite? No way... multiplat alone destroys that theory.
#21 Posted by tonitorsi (8685 posts) -

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

TheGuardian03

what tlou is in march?

Thats the rumor going on around town, champ :P

Walmart claims spring 2013 release date for TGOU

#22 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

I Have a Sinking Feeling that this game is going to not meet hype.

#23 Posted by GhoX (6267 posts) -
Okay, after so many delays, I am sure this game is going to suck. And dont give me that "quality is the reason" I can't recall a game ever being delayed multiple times and turning out amazingfr3ddiemercury
Blizzard.
#24 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14579 posts) -
It's disappointing to have to wait another month but good on Irrational for making sure the game is right. Some other developers would be wise to take a note...
#25 Posted by NoirLamia777 (3174 posts) -

The same month both God of War and Gears of War releases. Big month indeed.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#26 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Doesn't bother me, somehow I thought the game was for March anyway :P

It's good that they will finish it properly and the game looks as if it will meet hype too

#27 Posted by mitu123 (155186 posts) -

Sim City

Tomb Raider

God of War Ascension

Gears of War Judgment

Bioshock Infinite

Wallet am cry.

#28 Posted by jackfruitchips (1065 posts) -
I'd rather wait for another few week than getting an unpolished game, so no problem.

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"][QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

tonitorsi

what tlou is in march?

Thats the rumor going on around town, champ :P

Walmart claims spring 2013 release date for TGOU

TLOU comes out in June (according to GameStop)