Bioshock 2 Graphics

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

It looks more or less the same as Bioshock 1, which isn't bad at all cause Bioshock looks awesome even today, but I imagine when it came out (3 years ago) Bio1 should look amazing, idk I think in Bio2 they didn't improve the graphics too much I'm not a graphic freak I will buy it for the story but it still looks like a 2007 game, what do you think?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Bioshock 2 Graphics

Lisandro_v22
Completely secondary to the gameplay, because that is what made the first BioShock so wonderful and fun to play though.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

The PS3 version of Bioshock was best looking console version, and I thought it looked great. If Bioshock 2 looks almost or exactly the same, I won't be complaining that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
I think this game has ALOT of potential, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

The PS3 version of Bioshock was the best version visually, and I thought it looked great. If Bioshock 2 looks almost or exactly the same, I won't be complaining that's for sure.

Doolz2024

No it wasn't, the PC version was best visually.

Bioshock 2 does look better than the first though as its on UE3, Bioshock 1 used UE2.5 so theres alot of newer tech in Bioshock 2.

Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mongo-Boss
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts

Even if it looks exactly the same as the first one I wont mind. The first one had very nice graphics.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

The PS3 version of Bioshock was the best version visually, and I thought it looked great. If Bioshock 2 looks almost or exactly the same, I won't be complaining that's for sure.

Snagal123

Bioshock 2 does look better than the first though as its on UE3, Bioshock 1 used UE2.5 so theres alot of newer tech in Bioshock 2.

Oops, forgot about the PC, allow me to rephrase then:

The PS3 version looks better than the 360 version. ;)

3sFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 3sFan
Member since 2009 • 637 Posts

Doolz2024

Thats probably because Bioshock came out later on the PS3.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I really hate the look of it. They're using the worst engine ever.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I don't care for the graphics on this one at all. Bioshock 1 was great (and IMO its graphics look good). As long as they keep the formula I'm getting Bioshock 2.
shogo1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 shogo1979
Member since 2004 • 92 Posts

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

Doolz2024

Um......NO! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-15-article?page=2

360 Version not only looks better, runs smoother, but alos has higher resolution.

360 Bioshock runs @ 720P

PS3 Bioshock runs @ 680P

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I'm still waiting on some of the features of the engine... I would really like to see some decent DX11 support with this one...

mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 mr-krinkles
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts
I really hate the look of it. They're using the worst engine ever.AAllxxjjnn
Yeah me too. I played the PS3 version and I thought it looked like ass.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AAllxxjjnn
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]I really hate the look of it. They're using the worst engine ever.mr-krinkles

It's like everything in Rapture is made out of cheap plastic.
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mr-krinkles
[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"][QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]I really hate the look of it. They're using the worst engine ever.AAllxxjjnn

Yup, with gross looking neon colours.
teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teh_shogun
Member since 2009 • 714 Posts

The PS3 version of Bioshock was best looking console version, and I thought it looked great. If Bioshock 2 looks almost or exactly the same, I won't be complaining that's for sure.

Doolz2024

actually, the PS3 version was the worst looking version. it just had the most content.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 teh_shogun

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="mr-krinkles"] Yeah me too. I played the PS3 version and I thought it looked like ass.mr-krinkles

you're boring.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

The art style is what stole the show for me. If its going to stay the same as the PS3 version, I just hope they don't use so much bloom and improve the lighting, that's all I have to complain about.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AAllxxjjnn

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"][QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"] It's like everything in Rapture is made out of cheap plastic. teh_shogun

you're boring.

Don't blame us for Bioshock's overrated art design.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 teh_shogun

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"] Yup, with gross looking neon colours. AAllxxjjnn

you're boring.

how's it overrated? it perfectly portrays the 1950's.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

While we're on the topic, I must say, most all of the humans in Bioshock looked completely plastic...

mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mr-krinkles

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"][QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"] It's like everything in Rapture is made out of cheap plastic. teh_shogun

you're boring.

I just didn't like the look of it dude. I appreciate that it's not all brown I guess, but in general the whole look of the game just felt gross. I can't put my finger on it but it was so off-putting I never felt like playing it for than an hour at a time. Maybe it was also because I thought the gameplay was kinda crappy and clunky, as well. Framerate wasn't great, the game looked blurred, and the aliasing was crap. A gross looking game. AAllxxjjn narrowed it down pretty well: everything looked like cheap, shiny plastic. I would refer to it as a "gel" look.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AAllxxjjnn

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

you're boring.

teh_shogun

Cause everything looks flat and plastic, the lighting also isn't very good. It just looks ugly.

3sFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 3sFan
Member since 2009 • 637 Posts

I really hate the look of it. They're using the worst engine ever.AAllxxjjnn

Its Unreal Engine ... one of the best engines around.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

shogo1979

Um......NO! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-15-article?page=2

360 Version not only looks better, runs smoother, but alos has higher resolution.

360 Bioshock runs @ 720P

PS3 Bioshock runs @ 680P

Man... I must need to get my eyes checked. I've seen both and honestly think the PS3 version looks better.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Snagal123

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]I really hate the look of it. They're using the worst engine ever.3sFan

No its not.

Bioshock is one of the few that use it well imo, along with Batman, Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect most other UE3 games just look far too shiny, and plastic, they just apply specular lighting to everything! Looks very unnatural.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#27 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
I agree, the graphics haven't improved that much. They didn't switch graphics engines, which limits them. They are still working with a highly enhanced version of Unreal Engine 2, so not even based on UE3 tech that's become the standard go-to engine for this generation's games. That being said, I think it looks fine.
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mr-krinkles

[QUOTE="shogo1979"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Oops, forgot about the PC, allow me to rephrase then:

Doolz2024

360 Bioshock runs @ 720P

PS3 Bioshock runs @ 680P

Man... I must need to get my eyes checked. I've seen both and honestly think the PS3 version looks better.

Yeah, I think you do mate. I just checked it out... click on the full screen res comparison. PS3 version is horribly blurred, makes quite a significant difference.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
In my opinon graphics look alot like the first game, like there is no improvement!!!
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mr-krinkles

[QUOTE="3sFan"]

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]I really hate the look of it. They're using the worst engine ever.Snagal123

No its not.

Bioshock is one of the few that use it well imo, along with Batman, Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect most other UE3 games just look far too shiny, and plastic, they just apply specular lighting to everything! Looks very unnatural.

This is pretty much it, why I hated the look of Bioshock. The specular lighting looks particularly gross when they use those neon colours, on top of all the shiny "plasticy-gel" look.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 teh_shogun

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"] Don't blame us for Bioshock's overrated art design.

AAllxxjjnn

Cause everything looks flat and plastic, the lighting also isn't very good. It just looks ugly.

you're obviously confused and have no idea what you're talking about. when you mention lighting and "plastic" you're referring to technical graphics, not artistic graphics. yeah, bioshock wasn't the most technically proficient game, but it still looked beautiful.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 teh_shogun

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"] Yup, with gross looking neon colours. mr-krinkles

you're boring.

I just didn't like the look of it dude. I appreciate that it's not all brown I guess, but in general the whole look of the game just felt gross. I can't put my finger on it but it was so off-putting I never felt like playing it for than an hour at a time. Maybe it was also because I thought the gameplay was kinda crappy and clunky, as well. Framerate wasn't great, the game looked blurred, and the aliasing was crap. A gross looking game. AAllxxjjn narrowed it down pretty well: everything looked like cheap, shiny plastic. I would refer to it as a "gel" look.

it's supposed to look "gross." you're in a decaying, underwater metropolis. what do you want? also, resistance looks like garbage. yet you play it, right?

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AAllxxjjnn

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

teh_shogun

you're obviously confused and have no idea what you're talking about. when you mention lighting and "plastic" you're referring to technical graphics, not artistic graphics. yeah, bioshock wasn't the most technically proficient game, but it still looked beautiful.

I'm talking about the aesthetics, not the technical graphics. And the crap lighting, and cheap plastic look make it look ugly.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 teh_shogun

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"] Cause everything looks flat and plastic, the lighting also isn't very good. It just looks ugly.

AAllxxjjnn

I'm talking about the aesthetics, not the technical graphics. And the crap lighting, and cheap plastic look make it look ugly.

no, you're talking about technical graphics because you mention lighting. if you were to say "man, Bioshock does a horrible job of portraying an underwater 1950's metropolis..." THEN, you'd be bashing it's artistic graphics. but HOW does it have bad artistic graphics?

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AAllxxjjnn

no, you're talking about technical graphics because you mention lighting. if you were to say "man, Bioshock does a horrible job of portraying an underwater 1950's metropolis..." THEN, you'd be bashing it's artistic graphics. but HOW does it have bad artistic graphics?

teh_shogun

You like don't seem to realize that how things are lit is part of the artistic side of things.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I loved the art design of Bioshock. If the graphics was bad as some claims I guess rest of the world didn't notice it at all.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 teh_shogun

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

AAllxxjjnn

You like don't seem to realize that how things are lit is part of the artistic side of things.

or maybe you just don't understand that lighting falls under technical graphics. here's a clue, art = creativity. bioshock is plenty creative, and that is evident in it's level design, enemy design, and overall atmosphere.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AAllxxjjnn

or maybe you just don't understand that lighting falls under technical graphics. here's a clue, art = creativity. bioshock is plenty creative, and that is evident in it's level design, enemy design, and overall atmosphere.

teh_shogun

Ever, heard of something called....ummm composition?

So, are these pictures enough for you to realize how much 'lighting' has to do with art.

mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mr-krinkles

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

[QUOTE="teh_shogun"]

you're boring.

teh_shogun

it's supposed to look "gross." you're in a decaying, underwater metropolis. what do you want? also, resistance looks like garbage. yet you play it, right?

It looks "gross" to me, but for the wrong reasons. We often play environments in games which are supposed to look "ugly" and/or menacing irl, but you still regard them as good looking games. For instance, you wouldn't think hell is a very good looking place irl, but a videogame could produce it and you might call it a sweet looking game based on its engine/art*****.

I've already explained why I think Bioshock looks bad, and you're arguing that that's solely due to its technical limitations rather than ar****. I think that's a load of crap because the engine pretty much defines the look of that game. Sure, wow, they've created a city under water unlike anything released before and blah blah blah, it still looks crap to me based on its general shiny plastic and crappy lighting aesthetics.

Anyway, why are you taking this so personally? You like the look of the game, so be it, I'm not allowed to dislike it? I don't play Resistance and have no idea why that's relevant but there are plenty of old-school games that I play today that look far worse than Bioshock - it's the gameplay that keeps me coming back to them. I'm not too fond of how Bioshock plays, either.

*GS edits out s t y l e.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

Snagal123

PC version is usually the best version anyway, particularly with graphics.

Bioshock looks and plays stellar on PC, of that I can attest.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="shogo1979"] Um......NO! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-15-article?page=2

360 Bioshock runs @ 720P

PS3 Bioshock runs @ 680P

mr-krinkles

Yeah, I think you do mate. I just checked it out... click on the full screen res comparison. PS3 version is horribly blurred, makes quite a significant difference.

No man, Doolz has reason, they released a patch after this comparison which addressed the issues.
AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

Doolz2024

Actually you managed to get that one wrong too. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-15-article?page=2

Read the whole article please.

AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Man... I must need to get my eyes checked. I've seen both and honestly think the PS3 version looks better. Roushrsh

No man, Doolz has reason, they released a patch after this comparison which addressed the issues.

The blurriness wasn't fixed in any patch because it's a post-processing effect and is written into the PS3 code. Also the PS3 suffers constant frame changes.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Hard to believe its built upon a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine. Guess the devs had a lot of experience with Tribes Vengeance and SWAT 4. Props to the 2K Canberra studios.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Snagal123

Hard to believe its built upon a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine. Guess the devs had a lot of experience with Tribes Vengeance and SWAT 4. Props to the 2K Canberra studios.skrat_01

Bioshock was, Bioshock 2 has moved onto UE3.

I'm also going to be crazy here and say SWAT4 looks better than Bioshock, it had a far more realistic look, not specular lighting on everything, alot of vareity as well and a really "lived in" feeling.

I want SWAT5!!!

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Hard to believe its built upon a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine. Guess the devs had a lot of experience with Tribes Vengeance and SWAT 4. Props to the 2K Canberra studios.Snagal123

Bioshock was, Bioshock 2 has moved onto UE3.

I'm also going to be crazy here and say SWAT4 looks better than Bioshock, it had a far more realistic look, not specular lighting on everything, alot of vareity as well and a really "lived in" feeling.

I want SWAT5!!!

Actually bioshock 2 is using the modified unreal engine 2.5 again :S
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
yeah it sucks they haven't brought the game up to modern standards the game with look much better visually if it was running on a better engine. Theres low resolution textures and low model detial and animation where locked at 30fps on the pc making them lag :\ .Fact is the game wasn't very pretty and the second one isn't much better The game could look alot better visually.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
both the visuals and the technical graphics are bad but people will say but but the colors!!!!! mirrors edge,devil maycry 4, and unreal tournament 3 look much better heres some screenshots of the pc version maxed out at 1920x1200 http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/9646f4f076b4dd85b4aa80413ce05b7730100bc1.png http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/636e2fb672590cbc639397865700e4e969e85b9c.png http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/7fc791de847e8a6ddc6a7a41ef269bae29ce3b3b.png http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/db1fb76a05d19e726ac6474c8cfb475a63972e74.png
Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

shogo1979

360 Bioshock runs @ 720P

PS3 Bioshock runs @ 680P

I agree.....i have play the game on PS3&360 and the game look and play a lot better on the XBOX360.Anyway......Bioshock is just a classic FPS imo and i can't wait for Bioshock 2.
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
Bioshock has some of the most overrated graphics this gen, everyone seems to love the artstyle but I see nothing special about it, on technical side it's blurry and has flat low res textures and mediocre models, the only redeeming quality is the water. I don't expect much more from Bio2, though it does seem sharper/less foggy and things like metal actually look like metal.