Biggies Battle: Which gets the higher Metacritic between Horizon FW and Elden Ring?

Oof85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Oof85

Poll Biggies Battle: Which gets the higher Metacritic between Horizon FW and Elden Ring? (43 votes)

Horizon: Forbidden West of course 16%
Elden Ring obviously, duh 42%
Breath of the Wild 2 releases next year and tops both 42%

Pretty simple stuff people...

Which wins the battle of the cumulative averages?

Static Glitz and noninteractive gloss of Horizon or the plain aesthetic but rock solid game design of Elden Ring?

CHOOOOOOSE!!!!

• 
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45186 Posts

I'm still burned out from Dark Souls games, plus this game isn't called Bloodborne 2, so I'm going with Forbidden West!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39018 Posts

Elden Ring will trash Horizon on meta, GS and the general reception from gamers. They're not even in the same league.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44239 Posts

I’d go with Breath of the Wild 2. I’m looking forward to playing all three though.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

HZFW: 89

Elden Ring: 91

BOTW2: 93

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69602 Posts

I have to play the games inorder to know which is best of the three.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8478 Posts

Knack 3

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

HZD was overshadowed by BotW and I fear HFW will be overshadowed by Elden Ring.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

GS review scores trump metacritic here anyway,but if you wanna poll on the biggies you might want to put Starfield in there

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

HFW will win with an average score of 88.3127 vs Elden Ring's 87.9937. However, ER will have a score SD of 1.2521 which will be substantially smaller than HFW's of 3.7866. This will indicate that ER is a less polarizing game. BoTW2 will come out the following year and score a 91.123455678810 with an SD of %$#ERROR^^&CRYSTALBALLREBOOTSEQUENCEINITIATED

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Elden Ring is prestigous

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#12 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Open World Dark Souls will be better than Far Cry: Robot Dinosaurs 2

is my prediction

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11613 Posts

HFW 90 meta

Elden Ring 93 meta

BOTW 2 95 meta

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44581 Posts

Sony's use of review bootcamps and lobbying reviewers with flattery will probably earn Horizon Forbidden West the better MC rating.

Anyhow, this is only a battle because these are the first two games of the year to release close together. But we gamers be fickle, nobody will be talking about either by April/May.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2572 Posts

All depends if Guerrilla learned from their shortcomings in the first game, if not, then Elden Ring; Most probably Zelda will top them both.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5928 Posts

Don't know enough about any of them to say just yet.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

I'd just finished horizon zero dawn mainstory and frozen wild on pc it was good but nothing amazing. Enjoy from software games a lot more so elden ring my vote. Interested in playing botw just haven't bought a switch/botw plus I need to set a emulator up no way I'm playing a game on underpowered hardware like the switch.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

I'm actually gonna go to Horizon FW. Guerilla is a hit or miss studio compared to From Soft but Horizon world is wonderful and if done right is going to be the surprise of the year.

The thing that drags down Horizon ZD for me was the terrible close quarter combat and the game overall structure does get bit restrictive with very linear (and boring) quests. If they able to fix these issues in the sequel Meta 90-94 is guaranteed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39018 Posts

@sakaixx said:

I'm actually gonna go to Horizon FW. Guerilla is a hit or miss studio compared to From Soft but Horizon world is wonderful and if done right is going to be the surprise of the year.

The thing that drags down Horizon ZD for me was the terrible close quarter combat and the game overall structure does get bit restrictive with very linear (and boring) quests. If they able to fix these issues in the sequel Meta 90-94 is guaranteed.

lol you're dreaming. the game won't even get to 90's on meta. i am expecting it to be exactly like the original but with more enemies variety, more combat skills and weapons. that's it. Guerilla doesn't know how to make a fun video game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Archangel3371: yup. BOTW2 will be a massive 94/100.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

I think all 3 will score in the 90s but I dont care about Ring at all. BOTW is the best game ever made but can still be better for the second one with how the first one was lacking real dungeons and Horizon zero dawn is my all time favorite sony exclusives and forbidden west looks a good amount better. I think BOTW 2 will score the highest though like 97-98 and I think Ring will get like 95 and HFW like 92.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I would assume Zelda > Elden Ring > Horizon as far as scores.

But I'm most excited about Horizon right now. I loved the first , and it appears they took some of the criticisms of Zero Dawn to heart. They are showing or promising -

• Better combat against humans
  • Better melee
  • Better/more traversal/exploration
  • Better cinematics
  • Livelier settlements
  • A revamped skill tree
  • More scanning abilities and info
  • Better sidequest rewards
  • A less cluttered HUD
  • More time with Companions
  • The ability to create jobs for upgrade parts
  • Bigger weapon wheel

We know about the additions of battle surges (special abilities) , workbenches , a mini-game , and fighting pits. Also the menu for traps in the trailer is something different from the first.Throw in the expected - new machines , new weapons , new tribes , new areas , top notch sound design, top notch graphics/effects , great animations , good music , a solid level of destruction/physics , etc.

I'm curious to see how well they do with the world , story , events , and characters. They were able to be really compelling with the first because everything was so fresh and the way things unfolded - the world , young Aloy , Rost , Teersa , Sylens , Gaia , Ted Faro , the mysteries of the world and Aloy , and the revelations. How to follow that up and keep things compelling seems like a good challenge and a mystery.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10461 Posts

smart money's on zelda with a battle between elden ring and hfw for second and third place. sony will be lobbying hard for their first major ps5 blockbuster, but if it's just more of the same it will suffer. elden ring is more of an acquired taste but has an army of rabid fans, and i always feel there's a degree of peer pressure when dealing with from games. people seem more reluctant to criticise for fear of being seen as not "hardcore." hzd is currently 89 mc, demon's souls 92. i suspect it'll be closer between hfw and er.

@Nike_Air said:

I'm curious to see how well they do with the world , story , events , and characters. They were able to be really compelling with the first because everything was so fresh and the way things unfolded - the world , young Aloy , Rost , Teersa , Sylens , Gaia , Ted Faro , the mysteries of the world and Aloy , and the revelations. How to follow that up and keep things compelling seems like a good challenge and a mystery.

this is the big question for me. what's the game's reason to exist.

polishing, refining, improving, adding new mechanics and features is great but not the answer. first game made such an impact in no small part due to the plot and the game world. full of wow moments. but the plot came to an end (post credit scene aside). and you can't see a thunderjaw again for the first time. so what fills that gap and turns this from next gen expansion pack to legit sequel

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

BOTW 2 - 95 MC

Elden Ring - 96 MC

HFW - 90 MC

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@Macutchi said:

smart money's on zelda with a battle between elden ring and hfw for second and third place. sony will be lobbying hard for their first major ps5 blockbuster, but if it's just more of the same it will suffer. elden ring is more of an acquired taste but has an army of rabid fans, and i always feel there's a degree of peer pressure when dealing with from games. people seem more reluctant to criticise for fear of being seen as not "hardcore." hzd is currently 89 mc, demon's souls 92. i suspect it'll be closer between hfw and er.

@Nike_Air said:

this is the big question for me. what's the game's reason to exist.

polishing, refining, improving, adding new mechanics and features is great but not the answer. first game made such an impact in no small part due to the plot and the game world. full of wow moments. but the plot came to an end (post credit scene aside). and you can't see a thunderjaw again for the first time. so what fills that gap and turns this from next gen expansion pack to legit sequel

It appears they are setting up threats to the world and humanity , and given the revelations of the first game ... Aloy seems to realize how important she can be and is more accepting of greater responsibilities. She found purpose in life. It will be interesting to see what Sylens wants to do. That dude is very mysterious and real wildcard. And how will Aloy's friends and companions play a role and how they affect her.

God of War Ragnarok is going to have the same sorts of challenges. The way we learned about the world , Atreus , Kratos , Freya , Tyr , etc ... was just so interesting and compelling. How do you follow that up?

The Last of Us had the same challenges , but they were able to expand the world - scars , wolves , rattlers , new characters , different states , etc. And the emotional impacts , the way the sequel tied to the first game , and all of the different themes they touched really made you think.

It can be done. It's just a matter of will they? I can't wait to find out.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34645 Posts

All the responses have been pretty good so far, but you are all sadly very wrong.
The correct answer is: Who gives a shit?

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

Not a fan of HZ so im banking Elden ring to score higher. Though i see them scoring below 90 in MC and 9 here in GS.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

You can only go up from the first Horizon, and I want to believe the developers have been listening to the feedback. But it's bad luck that they had to release close to Zelda and now Elder Ring.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7707 Posts

Elden Ring wont be having playstationlifestyle.uk/fr/cn/hfoisah/hfiuash/fhiuashfi etc sites shilling it up so who knows

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7186 Posts

i dont care which one wins. my most hyped game right know is hzd2.