Biggest LAN PARTY - DreamHack

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by _rpg_FAN (1418 posts) -

DreamHack is a LAN party, a local area network gathering with demo competitions, gaming competitions and more. It's arranged twice annually at the Elmia exhibition centre in Jönköping, Sweden and also twice a year at Expolaris Congresscenter, Skellefteå, Sweden and holds the world record (as recognized by the Guinness Book of Records and Twin Galaxies) for the world's largest LAN party and computer festival.

In the year 2007 the founders of DreamHack received a diploma of honor from the municipality of Jönköping for being so important to business, education and society of the local community.

At DreamHack Winter 2007 a new world record was set. The record is now 10,554 computers and 11,060 attendees[1]

too bad pc gaming is dying lol.

#2 Posted by adamosmaki (10692 posts) -

I thought pc gaming was dead. There are actually qualifiers in norway,sweeden,france,denmark and serbia ( wish there was something similar in my country)

#3 Posted by Lto_thaG (22611 posts) -

Wow,so many virgins in one place.

#4 Posted by aaronmullan (33424 posts) -

Lto_thaG
LOL LAN parties are where all the dudes get laid.
Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
#5 Posted by deactivated-59da85d821feb (2075 posts) -

Lto_thaG
I lol'd. I like PC gaming, but I would NEVER go to a LAN party like that. I feel nerdy enough occasionally playing Age of Empires 2 online with my best friend :P
#6 Posted by Vandalvideo (39655 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

comeonthehoops
I lol'd. I like PC gaming, but I would NEVER go to a LAN party like that. I feel nerdy enough occasionally playing Age of Empires 2 online with my best friend :P

Who cares if you feel nerdy or not? If you enjoy it, embrace it. Making fun of LANers is juvenile. I'd venture to say that most of them have never been to a large lan before.
#7 Posted by Lto_thaG (22611 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="comeonthehoops"][QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

Who cares if you feel nerdy or not? If you enjoy it, embrace it. Making fun of LANers is juvenile. I'd venture to say that most of them have never been to a large lan before.

I agree.I've been to some LANs before.Good times.
#8 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

comeonthehoops

As long as there are friends going, i'd go.
#9 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20535 posts) -

Lto_thaG
:lol: oh man, post of the day lol.
#10 Posted by deactivated-59da85d821feb (2075 posts) -
[QUOTE="comeonthehoops"][QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

Vandalvideo

I'm not making fun of them... They can do whatever they enjoy, it doesn't bother me. It just doesn't seem my kind of thing. Lugging my PC and that to play games in a huge hall against people that would probably thrash me. The closest thing to a LAN party I've ever had was when two of my friends brought their laptops to my house and we played Call of Duty 4 against eachother. It was fun, but only because we're friends, and of a similar skill level. I don't really enjoy playing online, let alone at a proper LAN party. I only really enjoy single player games, and playing against my friends.
#11 Posted by sikanderahmed (5444 posts) -
LAN party looks boring, why not just sit home and pwn noobs from there?
#12 Posted by _rpg_FAN (1418 posts) -
LAN party looks boring, why not just sit home and pwn noobs from there?sikanderahmed
are you afraid that someone would kick your ass there? you are probably one of those "keyboard warriors" insulting others anonimously and from safe place
#13 Posted by Vandalvideo (39655 posts) -
[QUOTE="comeonthehoops"] I don't really enjoy playing online, let alone at a proper LAN party. I only really enjoy single player games, and playing against my friends.

Then play against your friends, at a lan.
#14 Posted by adamosmaki (10692 posts) -
LAN party looks boring, why not just sit home and pwn noobs from there?sikanderahmed
You complain about a social event that you have a chance to meet people with similar interests and yet you call us pc gamers hermits
#15 Posted by killerfist (20119 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

aaronmullan
LOL LAN parties are where all the dudes get laid.

By whom? J/K Pretty cool. What are they playing anyway? Looks like Quake.
#16 Posted by sikanderahmed (5444 posts) -

[QUOTE="sikanderahmed"]LAN party looks boring, why not just sit home and pwn noobs from there?_rpg_FAN
are you afraid that someone would kick your ass there? you are probably one of those "keyboard warriors" insulting others anonimously and from safe place

sorry i didnt know going to LAN parties made you a tough guy :| btw i dont even play on pc. i just dont see any point in LAN parties and no if u think u a tough guy who goes to LAN parties to kick ass then sry u fail

#17 Posted by Vandalvideo (39655 posts) -

[QUOTE="_rpg_FAN"][QUOTE="sikanderahmed"]LAN party looks boring, why not just sit home and pwn noobs from there?sikanderahmed

sorry i didnt know going to LAN parties made you a tough guy :| btw i dont even play on pc. i just dont see any point in LAN parties and no if u think u a tough guy who goes to LAN parties to kick ass then sry u fail

LANs are all about networking, socializing and having fun. :|
#18 Posted by deactivated-59da85d821feb (2075 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="comeonthehoops"] I don't really enjoy playing online, let alone at a proper LAN party. I only really enjoy single player games, and playing against my friends.

Then play against your friends, at a lan.

Or I could just play against my friends at our houses :P
#19 Posted by Vandalvideo (39655 posts) -
[QUOTE="comeonthehoops"] Or I could just play against my friends at our houses :P

But then you miss out on the alcohols, duct tape shinanigans, and cool stories.
#20 Posted by sikanderahmed (5444 posts) -

[QUOTE="sikanderahmed"]

[QUOTE="_rpg_FAN"] are you afraid that someone would kick your ass there? you are probably one of those "keyboard warriors" insulting others anonimously and from safe placeVandalvideo

well u can sit home and have fun on WAN lulz who will you socialize with? the nerd sitting to ur left and right?

#21 Posted by Vandalvideo (39655 posts) -
well u can sit home and have fun on WAN lulz who will you socialize with? the nerd sitting to ur left and right?sikanderahmed
Because every PC gamer is a nerd? Haven't you ever heard of the term Bogart? Most PC gamers are actually pretty athletic people. That is the term we use amongst ourselves. Most of the PC games that I've ran into at LANs and tournies have been some of the coolest individuals I've ever met. They have experience mostly in soccer, but there are quite a few other sports present. You can socialize with any of the 5K people there. Step out of your shell, be a hermit.
#22 Posted by 0rin (7179 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

II_Seraphim_II
:lol: oh man, post of the day lol.

Seconded. I LOL'd IRL. I was thinking it... he typed it. Kudos Lto_thaG. Look at the guy second row from the bottom. The guy with the headphones on. Yeah, I wonder if he's actually TRYING to fit the steriotype? *shrug* At any rate, I'm a total nerd, and I can respect a good LAN party. But man.. wow. Besides, who cares? it's in Sweden. I don't really feel like taking a 13 hour (give or take) flight with my computer just to spend 2 days at a sausage fest in Sweden.
#23 Posted by killab2oo5 (13621 posts) -
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="comeonthehoops"][QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

As long as there are friends going, i'd go.

Same here.
#24 Posted by Mckenna1845 (4410 posts) -

Lto_thaG
lol, they've brought lava lamps and stuff to put on their pcs, and most of them have them ridiculous pcs with lights in them. It's not cool under or on your car and it's not cool in your pc.
#25 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="sikanderahmed"]

sikanderahmed

well u can sit home and have fun on WAN lulz who will you socialize with? the nerd sitting to ur left and right?

Well you are posting on a gaming forum so you should be right at home :lol:
#26 Posted by killerfist (20119 posts) -
Well you are posting on a gaming forum so you should be right at home :lol:skrat_01
Hush you, he's talking to nerds on the other side of the screen;)
#27 Posted by sikanderahmed (5444 posts) -

[QUOTE="sikanderahmed"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] LANs are all about networking, socializing and having fun. :|skrat_01

Well you are posting on a gaming forum so you should be right at home :lol:

yes you can talk to nerds on internets so why go to LAN party?

#28 Posted by shutdown_202 (5648 posts) -

Online is great and all but it does not come close to the LAN experience. When i was around 13 me and a few friends used to go to some LAN place on the weekends for a few hours and just play whoever was there, so many good times.

We didnt go for like 5 months and when we went back it was a coffee shop. All i remember shouting was WHAT THE HELL??? it was weird. We were depressed but then went back to my friends house and played alot of melee and forgot about it, good times.

I think every gamer should at least experience a true LAN set up once.

#29 Posted by deactivated-59da85d821feb (2075 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="comeonthehoops"] Or I could just play against my friends at our houses :P

But then you miss out on the alcohols, duct tape shinanigans, and cool stories.

Duct tape shenanigans? Care to elaborate :P
#30 Posted by 0rbs (1947 posts) -

Looks like I need to take a vacation in sweden soon.

#31 Posted by Vandalvideo (39655 posts) -
[QUOTE="comeonthehoops"] Duct tape shenanigans? Care to elaborate :P

For some reason, LAN goers have a fascination with duct tape. Million Man Lan has had duct tape engineering competitions, and there have been many a high-strung PC seats made out of duct tape, amongst other cool things.
#32 Posted by out0v0rder (1994 posts) -
LANs are the best. Hey Newegg!.......where the hell is LANFEST 2k9 at? ( I met my gf at a lan