casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Some of us are still using older versions of OS for gaming and work. This morning I woke to a Windows 10 screen to my horror and it was a forced automatic update. BEWARE!

You will not be able to avoid the initial screen nor be allowed to go into safe mode to do a system restore before the update tried to install. If you don't want the aggressive windows 10 spyware OS when you click next on the first windows 10 page, on the MS acceptance policy page click DECLINE to accept the policy and you will be given the option to revert back to your original OS.

Yeah, I don't think I'm getting the new xbox. Moves like this just shows me the company is still only in business people and force their anti-consumer BS the second they feel they are in a position where the customer doesn't have a choice.

This shit right here just turned me off to wanting to invest into any of the shit they have going forward GG MS.

Anyway this was my PSA: Windows 10 forced automatic update to any users who haven't already had this come up.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I did it, because they kept going on about it.

Hardly notice any difference.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Um, ok.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Huh. I never had any problems with Win 10 apart from some games not working on it. And they are very old games.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

do you like it or not? like does it look better than windows 7?

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Win10 still isn't compatible with a lot of software so it just wont work for me. Hope it works out for you and doesn't give you any problems.

I always hit decline but this morning was a shock and I was panicked. After I declined I was relieved that it reverted back to the prior OS (good ol 7).

I went to youtube right after I got 10 off my system to see if there was any other users who are upset about this and it appears there's a huge outrage on the whole thing. MS isn't going to build a lot of trust using tactics like this with their products. I was just putting out the alert for users who don't want this update.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:
@freedomfreak said:

do you like it or not? like does it look better than windows 7?

I think I prefer 7, but I don't have a problem with Win10.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Yeah, it's a disgusting move by MS. Good thread.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No issue..just as long as the updates don't reset all the settings to default again. :P

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Been using it for a year on my gaming pc, no issues, you'll need it for dx12 anyway. There's software to block the data collection if the default settings arent enough for you

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Sucks to be you

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

I keep hearing about these forced upgrades but all I get is a blue pop-up on the lower right corner telling me to upgrade because CNN thinks Win10 is the shit.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Litchie

@mems_1224 said:

Sucks to be you

Sucks to be a lot of people who don't want Windows 10.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

You turn Cortana off but that shit still runs in the background eating up resources unless a workaround is found.

Proper dicks.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

This should help:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3074339/windows/how-to-escape-that-forced-windows-10-upgrade-you-mistakenly-agreed-to.html

THAT said. I totally agree that this is a HUGELY unprofessional move from Microsoft.

You don't know why people have chosen not to upgrade, and what their set ups are like.

People have their PCs set up for work and unless Microsoft are going to somehow compensate them for the time of perhaps redoing it, they NEED to back off.

I had a great Windows 8.1 setup, and to be honest I upgraded to Windows 10. It didn't feel truly worth it, sure it will be great when DX12 gets utilized, but otherwise, it just rocked the boat and I ended up spending quite a bit of time I didn't want to re-setting up my PC. You can't do that. My compatible software still needed to be reinstalled. For me, that was Pro Tools and a LOAD of related software.

I appreciate Windows 10 is a free update for now. But it's never a good time to upgrade on a PC you also use for work related stuff. It's like if you take a week off work and do it, you could spend the whole week getting everything back together. I'm not joking when I say that if it's a professional use PC, I may in future consider waiting for my next PC build before upgrading the OS.

For my Mac, that's definitely going to be the case as well. It wouldn't be worth it on that, the OSX versions mostly just add features I don't particularly need anyway.

That's why it's hugely unprofessional and presumptuous of Microsoft to try and force the upgrade.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yep, Windows 10 crept up on two of our workstations yesterday morning and it completely jacked up our 3d scanning programs.

I went ahead and put an old hacked version of Windows 7 on my main machine so I don't have to deal with that bullshit.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I had problems with Win10 at first but a reinstall sorted everything. As for this forced upgrade, I don't like it. This is far too aggressive for my tastes.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224

@Litchie: they should probably join the rest of us in 2016

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Meanwhile there are quite a few PC's and laptops in this house that wouldn't mind an upgrade to W10 and never even got a popup. And yes they are fully up to date and online at times. (W7/8)

Forcing people into an upgrade sounds ******.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I am sorry but if you were getting the message to update and didn't then you should have found a way to disable it. This hesitation of upgrading has caused the delay in software development with all the legacy stuff from the stone age lingering after decades. Get with the times.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#22 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

They gave you a notification about a 'scheduled' update some 2 weeks ago. I got one and all my friends/family did on the same day.

I get that it was a dick move by MS scheduling a Windows upgrade automatically, but it did give you the memo and the chance to opt out of it, multiple times if you passed up the message. I get office/work computers, but there really isnt any excuse for home users that have their own personal computer.

I think the best outcome from MS' doing this dick move is that it gave everyone that has access to type shit on the internet a stupidity test.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

This is old news but yeah they are forcing the update on some people

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Litchie

@mems_1224 said:

How would you know? There's a shitload of things 7 does better than 10. Maybe not for the "normal" Windows user, but for a lot of people in different businesses. Windows 10 is probably OK, but it will take a couple more years until it's good, like W7. This update has screwed over some things in the business I work with (broadband services). The automatic update made our servers **** up without our notice, for example, since the update makes the computers restart. Even though they were set to not automatically update, Microsoft decided to not give a shit and shove the OS down our throats.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts
@Litchie said:
@mems_1224 said:

How would you know? There's a shitload of things 7 does better than 10. Maybe not for the "normal" Windows user, but for a lot of people in different businesses. Windows 10 is probably OK, but it will take a couple more years until it's good, like W7. This update has screwed over some things in the business I work with (broadband services). The automatic update made our servers **** up without our notice, for example, since the update makes the computers restart. Even though they were set to not automatically update, Microsoft decided to not give a shit and shove the OS down our throats.

This. I'll give Win 10 a couple of years to mature, until then I'll be at Win 7.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224

@Litchie: sucks to be you. Your business should probably join the rest of the world in 2016. Do you still ride a horse to work?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224

@Litchie: don't get mad at me. Get mad at your out of touch company.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@casharmy said:

Some of us are still using older versions of OS for gaming and work. This morning I woke to a Windows 10 screen to my horror and it was a forced automatic update. BEWARE!

You will not be able to avoid the initial screen nor be allowed to go into safe mode to do a system restore before the update tried to install. If you don't want the aggressive windows 10 spyware OS when you click next on the first windows 10 page, on the MS acceptance policy page click DECLINE to accept the policy and you will be given the option to revert back to your original OS.

Yeah, I don't think I'm getting the new xbox. Moves like this just shows me the company is still only in business people and force their anti-consumer BS the second they feel they are in a position where the customer doesn't have a choice.

This shit right here just turned me off to wanting to invest into any of the shit they have going forward GG MS.

Anyway this was my PSA: Windows 10 forced automatic update to any users who haven't already had this come up.

It did the same to my windows 8 laptop now is on 10,what the fu** MS even android don't dare to do that.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Litchie

@mems_1224 said:

@Litchie: don't get mad at me. Get mad at your out of touch company.

But I do get mad at idiots who act like they know things. It's one of my attributes..

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

Screw W10, 7 all the way. I'll switch to W10 when directX forces me.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

I keep hearing about these forced upgrades but all I get is a blue pop-up on the lower right corner telling me to upgrade because CNN thinks Win10 is the shit.

Oh that is how it starts,then a screen comes on from time to time asking you for the update and a option to postpone it,then one day it start updating on its own.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

As a company it should really be looking to move to the lastest OS for improved security purposes alone. Still a forced update is a dick move, but Win10 is fantastic.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

This is why I have never bought anything from Microsoft. They are a shit tier company.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224

@Litchie: I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming job hunt. I'm sure McDonald's still uses Windows 7

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@Litchie: I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming job hunt. I'm sure McDonald's still uses Windows 7

Damnit, now I have a coffee soaked keyboard and monitor. lol :P

rakadewa19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rakadewa19
Member since 2015 • 104 Posts

Totally shady move by M$.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Yeah, I'd been telling it no forever cuz I've been satisfied with W7 but a week or two ago it autoupdated to 10 while I was at work. Was pissed at first but having used it for a little while now I like it so far.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

you anti windows 10 people are a bunch of weirdos

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@Litchie: why bother to argue with ms fan boy where ms can do no wrong. Yes. I totally agreed. Is the same reason why I refuse to upgrade even if it is free. I need my programs to run prefect without any issue.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Which is why I'm refusing to get windows 10 out of sheer principle and spite at this point. The whole "free update" is over at the end of July thankfully.

Though considering how they've used strong arm tactics so far, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if after July Windows 10 would still autoinstall but then also prevent you from using the computer until you'd paid a fee for having the Windows 10 OS.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

They're the type that refuse to use those gas powered contraptions and are still using horse & buggy. lol :P

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Desperate Ms move to force its spyware on people!!! Going as far as considering the "close button" as a "yes" for the forced upgrade!!!

Some people just never learn.And i won't get Win10 anytime soon, even for free.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tormentos

@Pedro said:

I am sorry but if you were getting the message to update and didn't then you should have found a way to disable it. This hesitation of upgrading has caused the delay in software development with all the legacy stuff from the stone age lingering after decades. Get with the times.

Yes and this is the attitude of a walk me over person who like companies doing what ever they please with them,MS should have no updated my PC is not their decision is mine,they didn't pay for the PC i did and no PC is tied to windows either.

@Wickerman777 said:

Yeah, I'd been telling it no forever cuz I've been satisfied with W7 but a week or two ago it autoupdated to 10 while I was at work. Was pissed at first but having used it for a little while now I like it so far.

Yes the OS is ok the problem is how MS force people to do that,which i think is even illegal to a point,is not their PC regardless of windows being their OS.

Fort can't come into my house and tell me i upgrade your car how ever the fu** i want,even if you end with something better.

@NFJSupreme said:

Is not anti windows 10,i already have a windows 10 PC,is about MS forcing upgrade on people were ever they like it or not.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@Treflis said:

Which is why I'm refusing to get windows 10 out of sheer principle and spite at this point. The whole "free update" is over at the end of July thankfully.

Though considering how they've used strong arm tactics so far, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if after July Windows 10 would still autoinstall but then also prevent you from using the computer until you'd paid a fee for having the Windows 10 OS.

Well, having used it a couple of weeks now I'm actually glad it autoupdated. I don't know if a problem is gonna arise at some point, haven't noticed anything yet. But so far I think it's definitely an improvement over W7.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Been using it for a year on my gaming pc, no issues, you'll need it for dx12 anyway. There's software to block the data collection if the default settings arent enough for you

Some people refuse to move on to something better. Do these people know Wins 7 ad 8 don't allow you to max out your hardware for gaming? The point of DX12 is to have games that run and perform better. Upgrade to Windows 10 if you want games to be next generation.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@ten_pints said:

This is why I have never bought anything from Microsoft. They are a shit tier company.

You given a free upgrade for a year and you can revert back if you don't like it. There is nothing shit about it. Some people just hate change. I paid enough money for my PC and i want the best gaming experience in the future. Gamers sticking to Wins 7 like their life depends on it annoys the hell out of me.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

@rogerjak said:

Screw W10, 7 all the way. I'll switch to W10 when directX forces me.

Windows 8.1 was already much faster than 7. If as a gamer you're still using 7 you should probably think about moving out of your cave into the civilized world.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@casharmy This happened this morning? Thought MS had reversed their stealth upgrade (at least that's what news sites had reported) of installing the update if you clicked the red box with the white cross to close the popup and instead it installed it. I actually like W10 but this was a really shady move by MS, whomever approved that idea should be fired instantly. MS in full on corporate dick mode.