Better collection of Sega Genesis games - Sega Genesis Classics or Sega Genesis Mini?

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7129 Posts

They released Sega Genesis Classics for PC a while ago, then on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One a few years ago. Sega Genesis Mini is the little mini retro console they released with games on it.

I think I like the Sega Genesis Mini better for Thunder Blade 3, Darius, Earthworm Jim, Mega Man The Wiley Wars, Road Rash 2, Street Fighter 2, Ghouls N Ghosts, Contra Hard Corps, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes, ToeJam and Earl and Castlevania Bloodlines. Some of those are really good 3rd party games that I've never seen on any of the many Sega Genesis collections. It sucks that it's missing Streets of Rage 1 and 3 which Sega Genesis Classics has.

I've played both the Mini and the Genesis Classics game a lot. I haven't noticed any emulation problems, but I've seen many people say the emulation on Sega Genesis Classics is bad while the Mini was ported by M2 which is supposed to be the best. The emulation on the mini seems spot on to me, but for Classics, people complain about audio issues and slippery controls.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17076 Posts

@arkephonic: Of that list, the Genesis collection on Steam actually has Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes, and ToeJam and Earl

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 48438 Posts

The Sega Mini is easily moddable to have all Sega games as well as others as is the Steam version.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6910 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Oooh. That would be sweetness on my Mini. I must investigate further!

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arkephonic

@xantufrog said:

@arkephonic: Of that list, the Genesis collection on Steam actually has Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes, and ToeJam and Earl

Yes I'm aware of that, I have both. I wasn't meaning to say those games were only on the mini. But, the mini has a lot of 3rd party games not usually seen on these Sega collections. Games like Contra Hard Corps and Castlevania Bloodlines are super cool to include IMO.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arkephonic

The coolest thing about the Sega Genesis Mini is how when you change the system language, it changes all the games to that version of the game. Like change the language to Japanese, and now when you play Contra, you're playing Probotector and the Japanese version of the game. I think they did it for EU too, not sure. Nice little touch.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 16084 Posts

Mini has Strider and Ghouls which Collection is missing. Unfortunately neither have Darius II (or that many shmups in general). Mini is missing Galaxy Force 2 and Streets of Rage 1 & 3, both are missing Crusader of Centy and Quackshot.

I think overall Mini is the better mixtape. More games total and IMO more must-haves. (And you can add missing games if you're into that)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 40579 Posts

The older compilations are better I think, they had more games. I believe the. Xbox 360 and PS3 version had more games on them than XB1 and PS4 versions. It's weird if you look at Wikipedia page which compilations omitted what games.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 arkephonic

@girlusocrazy said:

Mini has Strider and Ghouls which Collection is missing. Unfortunately neither have Darius II (or that many shmups in general). Mini is missing Galaxy Force 2 and Streets of Rage 1 & 3, both are missing Crusader of Centy and Quackshot.

I think overall Mini is the better mixtape. More games total and IMO more must-haves. (And you can add missing games if you're into that)

I agree that mini is better, but doesn't Classics have 50+ games and mini only has 42?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online

@arkephonic: You're right! It seemed like less when I was going through it for some reason. I guess it was more sequels and less third party games.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By arkephonic

Kind of surprising that this guy did a YT video on this exact topic.

Loading Video...

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 5808 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

@uninspiredcup: Oooh. That would be sweetness on my Mini. I must investigate further!

I have the Genesis Mini and the Sega collection. My Genesis mini is also modded and I was able to put the games from the Steam collection onto it. However, I can never seem to be bothered to actually hook up the mini and use it while the Steam collection is always accessible. And it took some hacking to get my Retrobit Saturn controller to functon as a 6-button Genesis controller on the mini while the Steam collection was very easy to set up in that manner.

I would only consider the mini console if you want a novelty, but I can't seem to find those consoles anywhere under $80 now, and the Steam collection is always on sale for like $10.

Either way you go, it's all emulation. I do have an actual Sega Genesis with a flash cart that let's me play this on real hardware but even then I find myself playing it on Steam more than anywhere else.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 29408 Posts

@arkephonic said:

The coolest thing about the Sega Genesis Mini is how when you change the system language, it changes all the games to that version of the game. Like change the language to Japanese, and now when you play Contra, you're playing Probotector and the Japanese version of the game. I think they did it for EU too, not sure. Nice little touch.

Probotector is way cooler than Contra. Just so that everyone knows.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6910 Posts

@eoten: Yeah. I've had my Mini since it came out. Will be cool when I put in something something amount of games. I also have the PS4 collection.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Eoten

@DEVILinIRON said:

@eoten: Yeah. I've had my Mini since it came out. Will be cool when I put in something something amount of games. I also have the PS4 collection.

There are reasons I like to play on the mini though. It's convenient to just turn on, press windows key + P to move everything from my main monitor over to my second and have the games pop up, then I can continue to use my desktop without having to alt tab out of anything like you would if it was on PC and capturing your inputs. So I can understand if someone wants to go that route.

Something to also consider is the Mister device. It's FPGA so it can actually mimic the entire circuitry of a Sega Genesis console in real time. Able to process the data of a ROM as fast as the original hardware could. It can function as multiple chips at once working simultaneously, something emulation typically doesn't do which leads to delays and synchronization issues. A Mister plays as well, or in most cases, even better than original consoles without input lag. You could build one of these, install cores for the Genesis, NES, SNES, I believe a Neo Geo core is coming soon, and take the ROMs after purchasing the Genesis collection on Steam to make it a legal, and really a superior way to play those games.

So if the OP wanted what is truly the best way to experience these games today, he should start out by getting the Genesis collection on Steam, avoid the mini, and later on build a Mister and transfer his collection from PC to that at a later date.

MooseWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MooseWayne
Member since 2017 • 350 Posts

Got the one for Switch made sense 16 bit on a portable screen idk.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GirlUSoCrazy  Online

@Litchie: I don't know... you can't play as a wolf man in Probotector

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

Road Rash is a great add! I go to my friends place and we pass the controller on his mini to share rounds of road rash to this day.

..... that being said. The classic collection I find much better. Off the top of my head. it has all the Phantasy Star games, the extra shining force, Shining in the Darkness, and the arcade version of Shinobi.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 29408 Posts

@girlusocrazy: lol. Actually didn't know you could do that in Contra.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online

@enzyme36: Shining in the Darkness is really really good, and Shining Force II is a top RPG of that generation and still a must play. But I'm not sure if Phantasy Star II and especially III hold up. I didn't even like III back in the day and II is hard to go back to.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@enzyme36: Shining in the Darkness is really really good, and Shining Force II is a top RPG of that generation and still a must play. But I'm not sure if Phantasy Star II and especially III hold up. I didn't even like III back in the day and II is hard to go back to.

Nice yeah these are all classics and I still give Shining in the Darkness a run once in a while.

I understand where you are coming from on PS 2 and 3. A lot of people say PS2 was a big step back from PS1 in many ways, and I understand where they are coming from with removing the environment from battle screen and the change in animations. But clearing out those dams from the mech infestation really brought that hi tech feel to the Algo system. I go back to this one the most.

PS3 was even a step down from that and I hated it when it first came out... but replaying it now its not that much worse than 2 and I it brings the big packs of enemies with some slick droid party members that persist between generations.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6386 Posts

I don't presume the console version(s) have any unlockables like we had with the old Activision compilation on the psp?

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 2837 Posts

I like the both collections, but I just wish the emulation d3t uses for the Sega Genesis Collection on PC and consoles was better. It's not bad, but it's just not as nice as what M2 used for the Mini.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Eoten

@Solaryellow said:

I don't presume the console version(s) have any unlockables like we had with the old Activision compilation on the psp?

The only differences in versions available is that the Steam collection has online multiplayer. Which of course is going to be through remote play for the second player. Which means it's going to be awful.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6078 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

It's surprisingly easy. And the Genesis Mini has beautiful emulation and a great controller. Easy choice here.