ssg_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssg_
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

There are very few games set in this time period (at least vs. WWII titles).

Singleplayer :- Valiant Hearts is an emotion-driven and beautifully presented game that deals with World War 1. It is not a war game but a game about war. A story inspired by letters written in the First World War. Valiant Hearts: The Great War follows 4 characters and a dog as they attempt to survive the horrific conflict by relying on each other as their journeys intersect. Beautiful hand drawn comic book style animation powered by the UbiArt Framework. It combines puzzle-adventure gameplay with great storytelling and imparts knowledge of the historical background. WW1 is one of the most bloodiest wars in the history of mankind. Thousands upon millions gave their lives for their country and for the greater good despite the conflict of bloodshed. Stories are told to this day over the war and it's horror, and this is one of them. I leave you with the beautiful end theme.....

Multiplayer :- Verdun is a tactical squad-based WW1 trench warfare inspired by the infamous battle of Verdun in 1916. The Battle of Verdun began in February 1916, and lasted ten months. It was the lengthiest battle during World War I, claiming around 700,000 dead, wounded, or missing soldiers. Verdun is a great FPS made of mud, trenches, gas warfare and death. Many other games have a similar capture and hold this area gameplay mechanic but Verdun takes a different approach. Good selection of weapons and squad roles. Amazing progression system, makes you want to work for it. The game doesn't have the best graphics, the best character models, or what have you—and yet few games have ever captured the feel of trench-based warfare and so consistently stressed me out like Verdun. For years WW2 shooters were all the rage in video games. It is a rare shooter set in a time period more frequently visited by strategy games. Thanks to the team that is making this it keeps getting better and better. Putting AAA games to shame with free DLCs during development.

With how important the Great War was, it's satisfying to see smaller developers (or small teams within larger developers, in the case of Valiant Hearts) getting the chance to explore this tragedy through more niche games.

Mods :- The Great War 1918 (COH mod), Over The Top Arma WW1 mod. Battlefield 1918 mod was great - for a Battlefield 1942 mod.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Interesting setting but sadly not enough devs have explored it so far. I want to see something like Steven Speilberg's movie "Warhorse". I hope someday Creative Assembly will make WW1 based Total War.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

The Darkness

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I can't think of any games (period) that fit the bill of that genre other than what TC mentioned, except maybe the original Toy Soldiers, maybe Snoopy Flying Ace, both XBLA games on the Xbox 360.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Iron Storm but that's WWI in alternate reality. Most of WWI games aren't period games,they usually have some twist to it...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

BF1942 had so many awesome mods. It basically had every single upcoming Battlefield as a mod and more.

Valiant hearts was an amazing experience. But it was more an interactive story than a game.

There is this RTS on steam: Empires 1914-1918, which looks really interesting.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Interesting setting but sadly not enough devs have explored it so far. I want to see something like Steven Speilberg's movie "Warhorse". I hope someday Creative Assembly will make WW1 based Total War.

Yes, I've also wanted a Total World War for a few years now.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Another day, another account.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points