Best game of 2011 - tiebreak

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Best game of 2011 - tiebreak (61 votes)

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim 26%
Dark Souls 48%
The Witcher 2 16%
Red Orchestra 2 10%

Due to the others option getting the vast majority of votes on the previous thread, I decided to collect the games that were asked for the most in order to break the tie-break. Skyrim got the most amount of votes out of all the games listed, so I added it along with the rest.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/best-game-of-2011-33494685/

• 
Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 193 Posts

Of those it’s easily tw2 though despite a terrible third act..

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14766 Posts

Red orchestra 2 is better than all those but best game of 2011 was Deus Ex Human Revolution.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 700 Posts

Remember, I'm adding only Skyrim from the previous massive list because it got the most votes but adding some of the recomendations you asked for in the, "other's" option since that ended up getting the most ammount of votes.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Random_Matt  Online
Member since 2013 • 5127 Posts

Only played skyrim and witcher 2 out of those, and witcher 2 is the worst out of the three. It was small and complete dogshit.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#5  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14724 Posts

1. Dark Souls - Best gameplay, but it took a while to get the hang of it.

2. Witcher 2 - Best story, but the gameplay wasn't that good.

3. Skyrim - Best mods, but the base game was quite bad.

BTW, never heard of Red Orchestra 2. I confused this with Red Dead Redemption at first, before realizing it's a completely different game.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7758 Posts

If I had to rank those four from best to worst it would look like this:

1. Witcher 2
  2. Red Orchestra 2
  3. Skyim
  4. Dark Souls

I tried more than once to like Dark Souls but I just cant.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Juub1990  Online
Member since 2013 • 9890 Posts

Did people play The Witcher 2 lol? Not a very good game. Don’t let your love for TW3 blind you to the fact its predecessors are awful to mediocre.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 46886 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Did people play The Witcher 2 lol? Not a very good game. Don’t let your love for TW3 blind you to the fact its predecessors are awful to mediocre.

The Witcher 2 was outstanding. A great example of story-telling and world-building in a game.

Sorry your preferred game is losing the poll, I guess.

@pelvist said:

If I had to rank those four from best to worst it would look like this:

1. Witcher 2
  2. Red Orchestra 2
  3. Skyim
  4. Dark Souls

I tried more than once to like Dark Souls but I just cant.

Same

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 18763 Posts

Ha, what a list.

Yeah Dark Souls.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VirusVaccine21

@Juub1990 said:

I completely disagree. For the time the visuals were jaw dropping, stroy was great and gameplay too. It was actually my fav rpg of that year.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4921 Posts

None of the above. Homefront for the Xbox 360 is the clear winner.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990  Online
@mrbojangles25 said:

The Witcher 2 was outstanding. A great example of story-telling and world-building in a game.

Same

And dogshit gameplay.

@virusvaccine21 said:

I completely disagree. For the time the visuals were jaw dropping, stroy was great and gameplay too. It was actually my fav rpg of that year.

No GTFO. The gameplay is awful.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Juub1990  Online
@ConanTheStoner said:

Ha, what a list.

Yeah Dark Souls.

Seriously. Not even a contest lol. The Witcher 2 rofl.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3086 Posts

Dark Souls wins this for me followed by Witcher 3. I played Oblivion to death but for some reason couldn't get into Skyrim.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 46886 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Same

And dogshit gameplay.

@virusvaccine21 said:

No GTFO. The gameplay is awful.

lol I know it's sort of weird but there is more to a game than gameplay.

With that said, The Witcher 2's gameplay was not "dogshit", it was decent.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#16 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10052 Posts

happy RO2 made the shortlist! I voted for that.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VirusVaccine21

@with_teeth26 said:

Yeah it was requested a couple of times on the other thread.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 34066 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

RO2 is a cult classic.

I couldn't believe how many people knew of RO2 and talked about that game regularly over at the battlefield V reddit.

Plus I think it was a huge succes for Tripwire.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63074 Posts

Dark Souls. Skyrim I never played. Witcher 2 combat is a huge short coming of that game, shallow system overall on top of being inconsistent in a lot of areas

Dark Souls simple n clean, could stand to not let the player abuse backstabs or some of the jank like attacks going through walls thing people cry about (even tho its a consistent thing the enemy can do, from the same angles, ergo is something the player can consistently respond to and is aware of), but the overall gameplay is really good. Was the first time I really enjoyed an action rpg of any kind for the gameplay.

The metroidvania level design of everything prior to Anor Londo was so good, and it's a shame they haven't gone back to it. The estus flask system and bonfires system in that game was also much better than how Dark Souls 2 n Bloodborne handle it. Dark Souls 3 at least brought back a better flask system and improved backstab, still didn't fix the bonfire leveling.

Game shits the bed in the final stretch, but the added DLC and the rest of the game are so strong its still a classic. Shame about the fanbase it created.

Red Orchestra 2 was neat, but I played way more Battlefield 3 that year so never really deep dived into RO2, and by the time I got bored of BF3, wasn't really feeling that type of game. Also isn't my type of mp shooter, much prefer games with options, even tactical stuff I lean towards CS n Siege.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 6017 Posts

Another awful list of games to choose from in my opinion. Here are a few of my favorite games from 2011:

DC Universe Online, Marvel vs. Capcom 3... and... wow, looking through the list of games released that year it looks pretty bad.

I probably put the most time in on SOCOM IV... but let's not get started on that since I didn't like the game (as a SOCOM game at least).

Seems like that was a pretty bad year all the way around for me. A couple like Dragon Age 2 and Portal 2 stand out a bit, but meh overall.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VirusVaccine21

@WitIsWisdom said:

Another awful list of games to choose from in my opinion. Here are a few of my favorite games from 2011:

DC Universe Online, Marvel vs. Capcom 3... and... wow, looking through the list of games released that year it looks pretty bad.

I probably put the most time in on SOCOM IV... but let's not get started on that since I didn't like the game (as a SOCOM game at least).

Seems like that was a pretty bad year all the way around for me. A couple like Dragon Age 2 and Portal 2 stand out a bit, but meh overall.

Bro wtf who the hell would choose those games, Make your own list, bye. Trashes.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25926 Posts

Dark Souls, duh.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 6907 Posts

@virusvaccine21: MvC3 is better then all the games listed by a long shot.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 18763 Posts

@vfighter said:

@virusvaccine21: MvC3 is better then all the games listed by a long shot.

Yup, would also take his Portal 2 mention over the games not named Dark Souls in the thread list.

2011 was a pretty weak year, but not that weak lol.

The Witcher 2 is a legitimately bad video game. Skyrim, can at least understand the appeal if you go mod crazy, but eh.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jg4xchamp

MvC3 is whatever.

Now Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. That's the shit. ZeroMayCry gang!

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10138 Posts

My vote goes to Skyrim. I just loved exploring and immersing myself in its world.

The Witcher 2 is also excellent. Beautiful world and soundtrack, and great story-telling.

I never finished Dark Souls for some reason. Really liked its atmosphere and the actual gameplay is the best out of the games in the list.

Never played Red Orchestra 2.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 7408 Posts

1. Arkham City

2. TES V: Skyrim

3. Dark Souls

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp said:

MvC3 is whatever.

The real GOTY 2011. I also loved the addition of Phoenix Wright, just because he's one of the most absurd characters in a fighting game... hurting opponents with his paper cuts, accusatory words, and "Objection" finger-pointing.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6301 Posts

I played Dark Souls right before Skyrim.

The whole time I was playing Skyrim I was wishing it had Souls combat.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@virusvaccine21 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Bro wtf who the hell would choose those games, Make your own list, bye. Trashes.

lmao... whatever you say alt clown. Only like 2-3 people in this entire thread agreed with any of your choices. I said it was a pretty bad year, not the worst but mostly unspectacular. You ask what people enjoyed the most during a specific year and then add no choices but what caters to your own taste (which is pretty much just over hyped crap) after already posting the same exact thread a few days ago.

2011 was a pretty bad year for games overall in my opinion.. just like every post/thread your troll alt ass makes. Also, this thread which all of maybe 100 people will even see won't prove anything anyways, so what's the point? To see how many people will agree with you? (I already narrowed that down for you above to save you time. You're welcome)

If I made a list I would never take out an "other" option (or would at least add more options.. hell who am I kidding I would do both) since giving people 3-4 choices out of hundreds of games is absolutely pointless and only caters to personal interest.

Do you know why most people picked "other" in the first place? It's because they didn't like the choices you gave them, so adding in one other option is asinine since the results would be seriously flawed either way.

I wouldn't make a 5 second thread like this, but I guarantee you if I did it would be a lot better than yours..

It's like asking people what their favorite color is and having orange or blue as the only answers and discrediting any other colors since they don't fall in line with your personal narrative... Wait, I'm sorry, I'll add purple since that was asked for the most. Those are your only 3 options though.

Opinions will always vary from person to person, that's what you don't seem to understand. Removing an option because it was the most popular answer is like pouring gasoline on an open flame to put it out.

You already did this thread and the answers you get aren't going to change because you move the goalposts.

Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer, or at least make a thread competent enough of actual conversation. Dumpster fire.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jg4xchamp

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

MvC3 is whatever.

The real GOTY 2011. I also loved the addition of Phoenix Wright, just because he's one of the most absurd characters in a fighting game... hurting opponents with his paper cuts, accusatory words, and "Objection" finger-pointing.

Nah SpaceChem is that year, funner. Tho UMvC3 is a cool ass fighting game. On one hand some of the most expressive options ever in a fighting game, on the other hand idiotic balance, scrubby shit like X-factor, and toe tap to death combos out the ass once the meta developed at high level.

Even fighting games wise KoF13 is that year. MvC3 definitely had the bigger scene, but KoF13 was a dope as **** game. Crazy combos too tho, weirdly overrated for how amazing it looks compared to 14 which does play better and is more in line with what high level KoF should be about.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jag85

@jg4xchamp said:
@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

MvC3 is whatever.

Nah SpaceChem is that year, funner. Tho UMvC3 is a cool ass fighting game. On one hand some of the most expressive options ever in a fighting game, on the other hand idiotic balance, scrubby shit like X-factor, and toe tap to death combos out the ass once the meta developed at high level.

Even fighting games wise KoF13 is that year. MvC3 definitely had the bigger scene, but KoF13 was a dope as **** game. Crazy combos too tho, weirdly overrated for how amazing it looks compared to 14 which does play better and is more in line with what high level KoF should be about.

I've never heard of SpaceChem before. And haven't played any of the recent KOF games either. But based on first impressions, KoF13 definitely looks better than KoF14, visually speaking. Not sure which plays better though.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WitIsWisdom

KoF13 is a great game. I forgot to add that to my list. I'm sure there are others I could mention as well.

Let's try this again... just need to find a better list..

MvC3, KoF13, Portal 2, DC Universe, DA2, LA Noire, Deus Ex, Ni No Kuni, Fight Night Champion, Tekken Tag 2, Driver San Francisco, Orcs Must Die, Magic Duels, Super Mario 3D Land, Terraria, Disgaea 4, and Dungeon Defenders even though it came out very late in 2010 it didn't release on everything until early 2011.

Those are all others I liked/loved or somewhere in between, but yeah still a not so great year.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VirusVaccine21

@WitIsWisdom said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

lmao... whatever you say alt clown. Only like 2-3 people in this entire thread agreed with any of your choices. I said it was a pretty bad year, not the worst but mostly unspectacular. You ask what people enjoyed the most during a specific year and then add no choices but what caters to your own taste (which is pretty much just over hyped crap) after already posting the same exact thread a few days ago.

2011 was a pretty bad year for games overall in my opinion.. just like every post/thread your troll alt ass makes. Also, this thread which all of maybe 100 people will even see won't prove anything anyways, so what's the point? To see how many people will agree with you? (I already narrowed that down for you above to save you time. You're welcome)

If I made a list I would never take out an "other" option (or would at least add more options.. hell who am I kidding I would do both) since giving people 3-4 choices out of hundreds of games is absolutely pointless and only caters to personal interest.

Do you know why most people picked "other" in the first place? It's because they didn't like the choices you gave them, so adding in one other option is asinine since the results would be seriously flawed either way.

I wouldn't make a 5 second thread like this, but I guarantee you if I did it would be a lot better than yours..

It's like asking people what their favorite color is and having orange or blue as the only answers and discrediting any other colors since they don't fall in line with your personal narrative... Wait, I'm sorry, I'll add purple since that was asked for the most. Those are your only 3 options though.

Opinions will always vary from person to person, that's what you don't seem to understand. Removing an option because it was the most popular answer is like pouring gasoline on an open flame to put it out.

You already did this thread and the answers you get aren't going to change because you move the goalposts.

Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer, or at least make a thread competent enough of actual conversation. Dumpster fire.

I didn't read most of that rant, but now say it without crying. :)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@virusvaccine21 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Oh, you read every word, and that's the funny part.

Thanks for trying.

Kleenex for the tears, Midol for any cramps.

oh and make better threads.

That's free advice I'd normally charge for. Once again, you're welcome.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WitIsWisdom

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

MvC3 is whatever.

I've never heard of SpaceChem before. And haven't played any of the recent KOF games either. But based on first impressions, KoF13 definitely looks better than KoF14, visually speaking. Not sure which plays better though.

I've never heard of SpaceChem either... hmm.. strange. Gunna have to check it out.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jg4xchamp

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Puzzle game, Zachtronics game. The first one that put him on the map for a lot of people who follow the indie scene.

Loading Video...

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VirusVaccine21
@WitIsWisdom said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Oh, you read every word, and that's the funny part.

Thanks for trying.

Kleenex for the tears, Midol for any cramps.

oh and make better threads.

That's free advice I'd normally charge for. Once again, you're welcome.

Trust me, I gave up after the first sentence, way too much rambling and crying. But, considering my threads always hit 100+ posts, I don't need your advice, but thanks anyhow. :) This last post read a lot less tearful on your part, so at least you get points for that.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WitIsWisdom

Man look... if you want me to send you an autographed copy with some more great life advice just send $14.99 to my paypal account ok? Just back away from the ledge slowly and don't drink the liquid drano max ok? Perhaps you did your best.. we all have our shortcomings in life.

Your threads are terrible, just like I'm sure they were on whatever account you had that got banned before this one.. I know I've dealt with you before, but not on this name. Eerily familiar however.

Either way I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it happens again for the 8th or 9th time though.

Now stop wasting so much time.. You probably have another truly insightful and riveting blog/thread to post about jack shit in that would require a normal person 3 seconds to think up and type.. Hell, I'm sure if you put the entirety of your mind to it you can get it posted withing a couple hours if you put the crayons down and loosen the straps on your helmet.

It's been fun, but I've wasted too much of my time allowing you to think you are a master troll while I sit here contemplating if you're really as dense as I imagine. Anyways, thanks for the laughs, and you continue doing you.

I give System Wars that one thing.. over the years as I've wondered if I should just leave it all behind it's people like you that keep me coming back. It's like a train wreck you just can't look away from, and for that I thank your blissful ignorance.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WitIsWisdom

@jg4xchamp: That game looks pretty cool man. I'm going to have to give it a shot.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jg4xchamp

I think 2011 is fairly whatever as far as years are concerned, but the year has some dope shit.

Space Chem
Dark Souls
KoF13
UMVC3
Rayman Origins
Catherine
Portal 2
Resistance 3
Deus Ex: HR
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
Spelunky

There are games from that year I haven't properly given any burn to, but sound kind of neat
-Total War Shogun 2
-Frozen Synapse
-Anno 2070
-Outland (I've played like a few levels, and it played dope, don't really know why I never bothered to finish it)

I doubt outside of Space Chem and Souls, I'd find anything for my all time list from 2011, but eh it has some good stuff.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VirusVaccine21

@WitIsWisdom said:

Man look... if you want me to send you an autographed copy with some more great life advice just send $14.99 to my paypal account ok? Just back away from the ledge slowly and don't drink the liquid drano max ok? Perhaps you did your best.. we all have our shortcomings in life.

Your threads are terrible, just like I'm sure they were on whatever account you had that got banned before this one.. I know I've dealt with you before, but not on this name. Eerily familiar however.

Either way I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it happens again for the 8th or 9th time though.

Now stop wasting so much time.. You probably have another truly insightful and riveting blog/thread to post about jack shit in that would require a normal person 3 seconds to think up and type.. Hell, I'm sure if you put the entirety of your mind to it you can get it posted withing a couple hours if you put the crayons down and loosen the straps on your helmet.

It's been fun, but I've wasted too much of my time allowing you to think you are a master troll while I sit here contemplating if you're really as dense as I imagine. Anyways, thanks for the laughs, and you continue doing you.

I give System Wars that one thing.. over the years as I've wondered if I should just leave it all behind it's people like you that keep me coming back. It's like a train wreck you just can't look away from, and for that I thank your blissful ignorance.

I completely skipped reading again. The first sentence read almost like your last post. When you finally decide to write a paragraph without crying I'll read it, in the meantime grab some napkins and wipe those tears. :)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp: Might give this Space Chem a try some time. Also forgot about Catherine and Portal 2. Great puzzle-platformer games, with interesting stories.