Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Poll Best Game Engine (85 votes)

UE4 29%
Fox (MGS 5 ) 5%
Decima ( HZD & Death Stranding) 33%
Naughty Dog Engine (U4 & TLOU2) 7%
Other 26%

Imo, It's defiantly Decima: nobody thought an open world were capable of having Uncharted 4's graphics this gen until guerrilla proved everyone wrong.

• 
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Redengine 3.

But honestly, the UE4 engine is probably one of the most versatile, or perhaps Unity.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

frostbite. credit where its due for EA and DICE....my god are the battlefield games pretty. i mean SW:BF2 looks just absolutely stunning.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

UE4 has been a disappointment this gen.

UE 3 and UE 2 had insane looking games and some of the best games of a gen... where teh fvck are my UE 4 games ?

nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

Visuals - Naughty Dog's engine

Everything else - Decima

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

Frostbite, Naughty Dog Engine, or Star Engine (Amazon Lumberyard). The Star Engine is legit, but the other two are no slouches either.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

None of the above.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Frostbite 3 has the versatility to look extremely beautiful like Battlefront 2(stop hatin), while in games like Battlefield 1 it can even maintain the best destructability.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Decima engine produced the best graphics this gen, especially since it's open world.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

UE4 or Decima. They look almost the same, but UE4 gets the edge because it's more versatile.

REDEngine and RAGE also get honourable mentions. GTA V and TW3 are still among the best looking games of the generation, while also being the biggest in terms of world size.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

None of the above.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

Frostbite, scales incredibly well, can be used for pretty much any type of game

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

UE 3 and UE 2 had insane looking games and some of the best games of a gen... where teh fvck are my UE 4 games ?

Yeah UE4 hasn't been as impressive as UE3. I was hyped at the beginning of the gen thinking we'd get tons of good looking indie games and AAA games on the level of Infiltrator and Elemental tech demos, but everything looks pretty average and underwhelming. It also seems that most UE4 games are badly optimized for what they offer, especially the ones on the indie side.

@howmakewood said:

*looks at Mass Effect Andromeda* You sure about that?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Howmakewood

@NoodleFighter said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah UE4 hasn't been as impressive as UE3. I was hyped at the beginning of the gen thinking we'd get tons of good looking indie games and AAA games on the level of Infiltrator and Elemental tech demos, but everything looks pretty average and underwhelming. It also seems that most UE4 games are badly optimized for what they offer, especially the ones on the indie side.

@howmakewood said:

*looks at Mass Effect Andromeda* You sure about that?

eh, it's up to the developer what to do with the engine, animations etc are up to them, engine is just the framework for your shit

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I am biased, but best is definitely UE4 for its versatility and practicality.

Prettiest is frostbite

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I don’t really understand what a game engine is or how one works.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Frostbite... The games look incredible and run beautifully.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@boycie said:

I don’t really understand what a game engine is or how one works.

Groundworks of your game, makes all the audio and graphics as well as stuff like physics operate within your game.

Also comes with toolsets, depending on the engine, to help you with stuff like assets, lighting, animation, ...

I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject either, I just know that you can tell apart certain games because of what engine they are made on. And different developers can do different stuff with engines, depending on how well they are experienced with it, delivering some amazing results in Unreal Engine 3 for example, eventhough the engine is years old.

I'd say one of the best engines for me is probably DICE's frostbite: it renders amazing graphics, terrain deformity (BF1), physics, weather simulation (BF1), ... and yet the engine never falters and drops to its knees, the games always keep a steady framerate.

Most user friendly is probably Unity, it's used by sooooooooo many indie and mid tier games nowadays.

Most modder friendly... Source engine by far :D

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FantasyGamer  Online
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

Frostbite, cryengine.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Frostbyte and IDTECH6. Both showing amazing graphics on consoles at 60fps. On a side note, HZD is probably the best looking game i have ever seen, but at the price of 30fps.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

You can't judge an engine that you've never used...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

idtech and frostbite. The amount of performance you get even from older gpus in relation to how good it looks is nothing short of amazing . Both Doom and BF1 run in excess of 60fps on my old r9 380 in fact doom runs at 80-90fps and max settings while BF1 runs at 60fps on huge maps and high settings

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@osan0 said:

frostbite. credit where its due for EA and DICE....my god are the battlefield games pretty. i mean SW:BF2 looks just absolutely stunning.

Oh yeah, forgot about Frostbite. That one is one of the best. Honestly, it might actually be the best. It looks insane(graphics king material), and it runs like butter even on old systems; my old i7 3770k with a 660 GTX could run it at 1080p 60 fps on low settings no problem--and it still even looked pretty good!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Unity 3D

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Decima was built around the limitations of the PS4 hardware. I don't think it's a good candidate for 'best engine'.

From that list UE4 is probably the most versatile and well-built engine.

Are you including whatever trash Naughty Dog is using as a joke?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Judging a game engine by their visuals is not the way you evaluate an engine besides that game engines can be molded into anything. The better one typical boils down to developer preference.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

DF: Horizon Zero Dawn is the single most impressive game this year

Loading Video...

Decima Engine wins this one here

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Gta5 engine by far is the most optimised.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@tgob89 said:

DF: Horizon Zero Dawn is the single most impressive game this year

Loading Video...

Decima Engine wins this one here

That 3rd person view is a total immersion killer for me though

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

id Tech 6 and 4A engine.

frostbite is also great engine but wasted on some bad games.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Decima, UE4, Frostbite, Naughty Gods engine, and id Tech 6.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

UE4 on the list cos it's the only one with a dev kit floating around the dev and the one I could actually tinker with.

But in terms of technical aspects, both the Decima Engine and the FOX Engine shine in that aspect for what it can do for such little hardware.

UE4 can do impressive visuals, but most of the time, the hardware it needs needs to be top-notch.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: Frostbite is a pretty well optimized engine and I give props to DICE for making the most optimized games on PC. I wish more devs were like them.

@howmakewood:I believe the Mass Effect Andromeda team stated that Frostbite wasn't built for the type of game they were making it was more built for multiplayer FPS like Battlefield not large open world RPG type games. Which is also probably explains why the latest Need For Speed games had so many technical problems.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

Probably UE4 right?

I mean, some of the others can pump out slightly but "noticeably" better graphics for certain games. But UE4 is clearly the most diverse, capable and understood of all of these engines.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

I'm going to go with Fox engine.

This is seriously impressive:

Loading Video...

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

@Pedro said:

Judging a game engine by their visuals is not the way you evaluate an engine besides that game engines can be molded into anything. The better one typical boils down to developer preference.

^^^ only person in here with some sense. an engine is just a tool, there's no such thing as a "best engine" the only thing close would be a "best engine for such n such game" the Fox Engine is not the best engine if you're wanting to make a 2D android game for example. If there were any sort of barometer as to how to judge an engine it would be the speed it takes to develop certain visuals, not the visuals themselves.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Depends on the criteria really. Ease of use? Scalability/versatility? Peak output for certain game types? Beyond criteria, most engines are turned inside out and tweaked to hell and back to suit a projects needs. So even 3rd party engines are only a starting point for most projects.

Honestly, you might as well be asking SW which is the best 3d modeling program. Nobody here is going to know unless they have working experience in a wide array of the top programs. The correct answer would be Modo btw :)

Most people will just look at the prettiest or best performing new game and say yeah, that's the one.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Decima, Fox, GTA5, Cryengine, Naughty Dog, Frostbite, id tech 6 or UE4. I voted for Decima.

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

Unreal isn't the powerhouse of an engine it used to be, simple and versatile but doesn't really compare to the others. Both the Decimal and naughty dog engines provide ridiculously beautiful games with solid preformance.

And no love for Ubisoft engines? Their tech produces some pretty amazing open worlds with scale and detail. And the best water in games since the creation of black flag.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

Whats with all of the alts? Geez

Anyway, my vote goes to UE4 for sheer flexibility while maintaining great graphical fidelity, even in open worlds.

Frostbite is known to have UI issues and difficulty supporting RPG systems and multiple dialogue paths.

Decima? How can anyone (without bias) consider this the best when we havent even seen many games built with it?

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: best 3d modeling program, I gotta vote for blender3d.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

Decima? How can anyone (without bias) consider this the best when we havent even seen many games built with it?

Because people can read...... and the video done by NXGamer or DF (Can't remember exactly) showed some workings of Decima and it's hella impressive.

Loading Video...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@marcl18123 said:

@ConanTheStoner: best 3d modeling program, I gotta vote for blender3d.

Blender is pretty great. For strictly modeling purposes, I'd put it above Maya and maybe above 3D Studio Max (they kind of edge each other out in different areas). Blender is definitely among the best though, that's for sure.

But once I got on Modo I never looked back. Unlike most modeling programs that are designed by programmers, Modo is designed by 3d artists. Kinda like how Zbrush is so good as a digital sculpting and concepting tool because it's owned and designed by artists and designers.

But yeah, Modos layering system, topology tab (which is essentially Topogun but better), Pixar Subd system, and its selection tools are all just next level in terms of efficiency. The interface is so clean, no need for menu diving and the shortcuts all make sense (added bonus for carrying the same shortcuts and navigation over to Mari). But I also appreciate the depth of the tools, adding much more versatility in ways that now seem obvious, but simply aren't explored in other packages.

For example, every 3d modeling program allows you to add edge loops, one of the most basic aspects of poly modeling, right? But the range of options for adding an edge loop in Modo just make too much sense, allowing you to choose between inserting by percentage, or inserting by exact distance, which is a life saver for uniform bevels in subd modeling. Also being able to choose whether or not the loop terminates at an Ngon, or keeps flowing through is pretty damn nice. Then you have selective slicing on the fly, curvature preservation but with tension options, along with reverse inset.

And that's just one tool lol. The same outside-the-box thinking extends to the entire set, and many tools in Modo don't even exist in other programs. AND the same exact tools and shortcuts work in UV mode as well as its multiresolution sculpting toolset.

I think it's really the selection tools that take it over the top for me, but probably best to check out a video than hear me ramble about it.

But yeah man, whether I'm working on models for VFX, animation, games, 3d print, or retopologizing scan data, Modo has exceeded all of my needs. Before I got into Modo I found myself having to hop across multiple programs for all the tools I need, so it's nice to have it all in one place and then some.

The irony is that it was actually Autodesk that sold me on Modo lol. Can't remember what year it was, but I was looking into my 3D Max upgrade. It was whatever year they built the poly boost plugin into Max as the "graphite modeling tools". The way they advertised the new release was something like "These new tools bring 3D Studio Max closer to powerful modeling programs like Modo!"

Talk about about poor messaging for their product, but they weren't wrong lol.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Howmakewood

@NoodleFighter said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Frostbite is a pretty well optimized engine and I give props to DICE for making the most optimized games on PC. I wish more devs were like them.

@howmakewood:I believe the Mass Effect Andromeda team stated that Frostbite wasn't built for the type of game they were making it was more built for multiplayer FPS like Battlefield not large open world RPG type games. Which is also probably explains why the latest Need For Speed games had so many technical problems.

It didn't have prebuilt dialog system that is true, but if you remember Dragon Age Inquisition? That game was made on Frostbite as well and didn't really have the same problems or not nearly as bad as Adromeda. Sure the feature set varies from engine to engine and Frostbite doesn't have them all, yet that's still one part of the Engine. The dialog system is why you see such a difference in Horizon as well, most of the main story and characters have used actual capture and the side stuff/characters are made with dialog system to handle the facial animations and lip sync etc. CDPR has a state of the art dialog system that really doesn't have an equal, there's a good long video about it if you care to google for it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#46 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

GPUKing... is that you?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

GPUKing... is that you?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#48 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

That's an excuse. Dragon Age used Frostbite and looked fantastic.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Because people can read...... and the video done by NXGamer or DF (Can't remember exactly) showed some workings of Decima and it's hella impressive.

Loading Video...

Ive watched that video (and all of their coverage on Horizon, my new favorite PS series), the engine isnt doing more that UE4, Cryengine or Frostbite.

Sure, its a technical achievement on consoles for one game, but it still doesnt hold up to what current multi platform engines have been doing, nor has it demonstrated the flexibility of those engines.

Im assuming this thread is about best game engine overall, not just best graphics engine............no?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

ID tech 6 is the best one imo.

Never understand the love for Fox engine. That engine couldn't stream fast enough.(Which is the main reason that all vehicles in MGS V are so slow)