Best developers by genre

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Seems like there are 2 or 3 that really stand out in each genre. I don't play platformers or jrpgs but I'll just say Nintendo and Square are probably up there in those but someone probably knows better than me. I'd throw up pictures too but this would just be too long. I'll just keep it simple and if you want to play a game in each genre these are the best.

Open World Action Adventure

Rockstar

Ubisoft

RPG

Bethesda

Bioware

From Software

Adventure

Telltale Games

Quantic Dream

The Chinese Room

Linear Action Adventure

Naughty Dog

Epic Games

First Person Shooter

Bungie

Infinity Ward

Dice

Sports

EASports

Sony

Fighting Games

Midway

Capcom

Stealth

Konami

Ubisoft

JRPG

Square

Atlus

Platformer/Everything else

Nintendo

Valve

Honorable Mentions

Rock Steady-Batman Arkahm games. Open world action adventure superhero beat'em up games

Monolith-Shadow of Mordor. See above.

Ready at Dawn-The Order 1886. Linear Action adventure. Sony studios. Not out yet. Looks like a massively budgeted game though along the lines of gears of war and uncharted

Guerrilla Games-Killzone Series. First person Shooter

Irrational Games-Bioshock Series. First person Shooter

Remedy-Max Payne, Alan Wake. Linear Action adventure games

Supermassive Games-Until Dawn. Seems like a Quantic Dream clone

Avalance Studios-Just Cause. Open world action game developer

Larian Studios-Divinity. RPG developer

CD Project Red-The Witcher. RPG developer

ID Software-1st person shooters

4A Games-Metro games..

Indie Developers--

Thatgamecompany

Double Fine

Mojang

Hello games-No man's sky

There are tons but those are the 4 most impressive imo......

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Boring - Irrational

Filler - Rockstar

Shit business tactics - Ubisoft

Overrated - Naughty Dog

Ugly - CD Project Red

Am I doing this right

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Celtic_34

@Blabadon said:

Boring - Irrational

Filler - Rockstar

Shit business tactics - Ubisoft

Overrated - Naughty Dog

Ugly - CD Project Red

Am I doing this right

I agree with you that they are overrated and there is a lack of competition. I left out Racing and strategy and MMORPG's as well. I guess Blizzard, Turn 10, and Microprose(Civilization) would be up there. But we basically have 1 or 2 choices in each genre which was kind of my point of making this thread if you like a certain kind of game. Each company basically has a monopoly on each genre. If I want to play a 1st person shooter it's halo, call of duty or battlefield. There is a lack of new developers and the ones I listed as honorable mentions aren't that great either. If i want to play a sports game. It's EAsports for Football. 2k for basketball and Sony for Baseball. If i want an open world action adventure it's Rockstar or Ubisoft or bust.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

You left out the racing genre: Playground games

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Celtic_34: I'm just messing. I'll make a list later. Doing this shit on my phone sucks

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The fact that Square is in the JRPGs section is a little sad.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Celtic_34

The point of this thread is I've been playing the same games for years though... I mainly play open world action adventures and sometimes rpgs and some other genres but meh. At least the adventure genre is making a comeback with Telltale games.

From software found a nitch in the rpg genre because people wanted more challenging games. Telltale is making a comeback with the adventure game genre and is selling their games like hotcakes because they are cheap and there was a want for that.. But the reason for lack of innovation is that.

You have these companies just sitting on genres rehashing the same stuff over and over and it sells because people buy it .

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Celtic_34

It's also why a game like Shadow of Mordor wins game of the year because it's backed by warner brothers and is a pretty average game but just got marketed and the media felt it could sell in a nitch and were told to market it as such. That game isn't game of the year material. It's an advertisement.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Oh look. Another hate thread disguised as something else.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Celtic_34

@Telekill said:

Oh look. Another hate thread disguised as something else.

There is no hate from me. I'm laughing.. Just true. I'm like a rainbow of love.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

How is hello games/nms considered impressive when the game hasn't even been released

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Epic games doesnt make Action Adventure games..... and really, Capcom makes the best fighting games ? No way man !

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Celtic_34

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Epic games doesnt make Action Adventure games..... and really, Capcom makes the best fighting games ? No way man !

I forgot about games like bayonetta 2 and devil may cry, ninja gaiden. Those are more traditional japanese linear action adventure games.. I guess I could have separated western from japanese games that way. I think street fighter and mortal kombat are kind of the bar in fighting games. I don't know. My list isn't perfect and is up for debate. Gears is considered more a 3rd person shooter. But so is Uncharted. They are linear action/adventure games I feel. More western. The Order also is that.

Fighting games are similar. I didnt separate between japanese and western too much but I don't play japanese games that much. I'm more a western gamer.

I forgot racing and mmorpgs and strategy but see above.. Wii sports could also fit into sports. The indie list i just kind of threw together. The whole thing I did but I think it's pretty accurate.

No Man's Sky isn't out yet and neither is the Order but just most impressed with those games where they will probably figure into that mix ultimately.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

No love for Monoloth Soft, creators of Xeno games, Baten Kaitos, they also helped out on some key Nintendo titles?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@Celtic_34:

Bayonetta and DMC are not Action adventure games either...... as for the fighting games, doesn't matter which country makes it, the best one should be determined by the level of interplay.... and so far Teanm Ninja's Dead or Alive seems to do that best.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Celtic_34

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Celtic_34:

Bayonetta and DMC are not Action adventure games either...... as for the fighting games, doesn't matter which country makes it, the best one should be determined by the level of interplay.... and so far Teanm Ninja's Dead or Alive seems to do that best.

They are action/adventure games in the classic sense. DMC was what an action adventure game used to be considered. So is Bayonetta. Metroid was also an action adventure. So was Zelda(non linear). Castlevania all those games. I think Gears is too. It's just a more modern western one. 3rd person shooter yes. But it's an action adventure game. So is uncharted. It's pitfall with better graphics lol. Prince of Persia. It's tomb raider. Logical progression of those games.

Zelda actually is an open world action adventure game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Just put Nintendo for everything. Best adventure, best platformer, best sports, best party game, best puzzle game, best fighting game, best action game, best strategy game, and best open world game. Whatever genre I may be forgetting they prolly got that covered, too.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Beat-em Ups= Platinum Games

Open World Action games= Rocksteady

JRPG= From Software

WRPG= Obsidian

Adventure= Wadjet Eye Games

FPS= ...****...uh Valve I guess, so many of the people who made great FPS games fell the **** off a cliff or died sans Valve.

TPS = Naughty Dog

Platformer= I mean let's get real, it's Nintendo, it's not even close

Horror = Frictional Games

Strategy = Relic for campaigns, Blizzard for multiplayer

Fighting= Capcom

Puzzle = Jon Blow

Stealth = I guess Kojima by default

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@Celtic_34:

Zelda, Metroid and Castlevania actually are action adventure games... since those games have actual adventure elements in them that DMC does not have.

What is an Action Adventure game in a classic sense ?

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Celtic_34

They are action adventure games. DMC was a progression of games like that. It had more fighting elements and better graphics. Games stopped progressing that way in some ways though. But Uncharted is that progression in ways. More western though. It has shooting mechanics and all that. So is Gears.'

DMC was always considered a classic action adventure game back in they day when the playstation 1 and stuff. It was kind of the standard for action adventure games then.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@Heirren:

Almost all of them... I don't think they make the best puzzle and fighting games. Or stealth and survival horror either.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jg4xchamp

@Celtic_34 said:

They are action adventure games. DMC was a progression of games like that. It had more fighting elements and better graphics. Games stopped progressing that way in some ways though. But Uncharted is that progression in ways. More western though. It has shooting mechanics and all that. So is Gears.

You're not exactly wrong when it comes, since mostly that genre is a fake ass label to this game has action+elements of other genres usually platforming or puzzles.

But specifically what the DMC type games are comes down to them being the evolution of the beat-em up in 3d. Otherwise Action/Adventure is just a super broad ass term that covers things like GTA 5 and Asscreed as well. Kind of like FPS games are still action games, just in first person.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

The fact that Square is in the JRPGs section is a little sad.

That whole list is sad.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Heirren said:

Just put Nintendo for everything. , best puzzle game,

Nintendo's puzzle games are trash if compared to the puzzle games made by indie devs. The only one pimping out their baby puzzle games is someone who hasn't played vastly superior indie puzzle games that make what Nintendo does look like child's play in comparison.

Even this year something like Talos Principle completely mops the floor with Captain Toad. Nevermind the likes of Antichamber, The Swapper, Spacechem, Braid, World of Goo, Portal (not indie, but shit even Valve was better). Zelda and Metroid (retro) had well designed puzzles that complimented the pace of those games, but judged purely on their puzzles they wouldn't be exceptional.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Celtic_34

@cfisher2833: Square is still the king of jrpgs. They've taken their focus away from it but that is their core. It's also why jrpgs are struggling. Atlus is probably the best right now. Square needs to get back into it. They've lost their focus. They've tried to branch out and make other games and they are losing their core audience in the process. I've been gaming a long tme. Played too many games and know too much lol. But i'm a traditional true gamer at my core and I know who is good at what.

I'm not by any means a jrpg guru either. I don't even like them. But I do know that Square is that. Or was. But yes it is a sad thing.

I'm glad adventure games are making a comeback of sorts. I wish more elements of adventure games were incorporated into the big budget games though. But that was my favorite genre when I first started gaming. It's why I have double fine on there though. Tim Schafer is still one of my favorite developers. Telltale is some of those guys.

No Man's Sky is bringing back the space sim in ways too.

Rockstar and Naughty Dog are probably my favorite developers right now. They've advanced their genres the most imo and have kept quality as well.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@jg4xchamp:

Not really, its actually just used incorrectly alot of the time, Action Adventure definitely does not cover GTA or Pre-Black Flag Assassins Creed....

Action Adventure games are not as vast as people think they are.....

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@jg4xchamp:

Not really, its actually just used incorrectly alot of the time, Action Adventure definitely does not cover GTA or Pre-Black Flag Assassins Creed....

Action Adventure games are not as vast as people think they are.....

Man it's the most made up thing ever is what it really is. Shit is the easter bunny of video game genres, do you believe in the easter bunny lulu?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Lulu_Lulu:

Yeah I was pushing it mentioning fighting. Puzzle games I'd say so, though. Stuff dates back to the NES and gameboy. These modern indie puzzle games are trash--physics ones, braid, and damn would you believe people think fez is a puzzle game?

...racing, too.

Nintendo knows what is going on.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

JRPG= From Software

WRPG= Obsidian

FPS= ...****...uh Valve I guess, so many of the people who made great FPS games fell the **** off a cliff or died sans Valve.

TPS = Naughty Dog

Fighting= Capcom

Puzzle = Jon Blow

Pretty much how I feel. Except I'd give open world to Rockstar over Rocksteady. I'd add Grinding Gear Games for Hack'nslash loot fests.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@jg4xchamp:

No sir.....

Anyway I don't think its made up, it just lost its meaning, after all. This is because of the dying genre that is Adventure Games, as the genre becomes more and more of niche , it begins to lose its meaning, samething is happening with Survival Horror and it already happened with Metroidvania...... its even happening alil bit with Fighting Games, you'll sometimes hear people use it interchangeably with Beat'em Ups as if they are the samething. And eventually, with enough misuse of the term, people will be grouping Street Fighter and Dynaster Warriors in the same Category.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@Heirren:

Actually I dont think Nintendo has much luck there either with games like Portal, The Swapper, Lara Croft, etc for Competitors.... Nintendo has their work cut out for them against those Heavy Weights.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Lulu_Lulu:

Eh, one hit wonders here and there. I could be mistaken as I can't recall names--the era of renting--but I remember quite a chunk of puzzle games across the NES, Gameboys, snes, etc.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

1. Open World:

Rockstar

Bathesda

2. RPG:

Larian

CD Projekt Red

3. Adventure

Revolution Software

Double Fine

4. Strategy

Blizzard

Relic

Firaxis

5. Linear Action Adventure:

Crystal dynamics

Remedy

Naughty dog

6. First Person Shooter:

Valve

Machine Games

Flying Wild Hog

7. Fighting:

Capcom

8. Stealth:

Kojima Productions

Ubisoft

9. Sports:

EA Games

10. Survival Horror:

Visceral Games

Frictional games

11. Platformers:

Nintendo

12. Military Sims:

Bohemia Interactive

13. Space Sims (Lack of competition):

Frontier software

I've only named devs that are still in business and those who've proved themselves. Otherwise, I would've included Ion studios and Looking glass studios (RIP) in stealth section and Cloud Imperium Games in space sims category (Star Citizen is amazing but full game has yet to come out).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

JRPG= From Software

WRPG= Obsidian

TPS = Naughty Dog

Fighting= Capcom

Puzzle = Jon Blow

Pretty much how I feel. Except I'd give open world to Rockstar over Rocksteady. I'd add Grinding Gear Games for Hack'nslash loot fests.

Agreed on the latter, but Rockstar's games are overstuffed with boring shit. Arkham City was better paced and fun, and they make a better beat-em up than Rockstar makes shooters.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Linear action adventure:

Naughty Dogs

Open world platform for modding (not a game)

Bethesda

Open world:

Rockstar

First person:

Monolith (Fear > everything thats come out so far)

Semi open world action adventure:

Rocksteady

RPG:

Nothing really beats old school Square. Maybe Gust (had fun with the atelier series)

Strategy:

Paradox closely followed by creative assembly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@Heirren:

I know nothing about early Nintendo days...... I only discovered they had consoles before the Wii 3 years ago.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

My favourite for each:

Action-Adventure - Nintendo

Fighting - Capcom

Beat 'Em Up - Sega