Berating consoles for fps/resolution is counterproductive

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

There's still a ton of focus on framerate/resolution in the gaming community. Lots of PC-gamers love to berate the consoles for their inability to reach 1080p/60fps. While it's understandable to some degree, it's also kind of counterproductive.

As a PC-gamer I want developers to focus on other things than resolution/framerate because they are so easily scalable. Ideally games should be optimized to run at 720p/30fps on consoles. That would mean maximum focus on interactivity, AI, density, physics and so on. Things you can't add in post-processing, or scale easily.

All the focus on resolution/framerate in the community/media will push devs into prioritizing them for marketing reasons. That is exactly what I as a PC-gamer do NOT want!

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

The constant talk of graphics and resolution i feel will ruin gaming in general, story>> graphics.. a beautifully looking game is shit without a good story mode.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online

@finalstar2007 said:

The constant talk of graphics and resolution i feel will ruin gaming in general, story>> graphics.. a beautifully looking game is shit without a good story mode.

Agree with that as well. Also gameplay :)!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

To be honest I don't think people care as much about FPS and Resolution as they bang on about. It's just the idiots go to argument when they can't be bothered to come up with a decent rebuttal.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

There's still a ton of focus on framerate/resolution in the gaming community. Lots of PC-gamers love to berate the consoles for their inability to reach 1080p/60fps. While it's understandable to some degree, it's also kind of counterproductive.

As a PC-gamer I want developers to focus on other things than resolution/framerate because they are so easily scalable. Ideally games should be optimized to run at 720p/30fps on consoles. That would mean maximum focus on interactivity, AI, density, physics and so on. Things you can't add in post-processing, or scale easily.

All the focus on resolution/framerate in the community/media will push devs into prioritizing them for marketing reasons. That is exactly what I as a PC-gamer do NOT want!

Yeah, the Resolution arguments are moot out at this point. I agree @Sushiglutton. I really want devs to focus much, much more on gameplay this gen then anything. PC gamers shouldn't bash the consoles themselves (maybe console culture), and consoles shouldn't provoke PC gamers. At the end of the day, we are all gamers. But truthfully, nothing will change lol. Gamers find any reason to hate each other these days. There are a LOT of overzealous fanboys within the gaming community, and it's cancerous. Not sure who is or what's to blame. Maybe all the PR that revolves around these consoles have something to do with it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Thats a very noble Insight.... Too Bad I don't know what Berating Means... Therefor Resolution Wars must continue.....

But Seriously though... I doubt this level of ignorance is gona go away anytime soon.... All I can do Is avoid the topic all together... Trying to appeal to the rational of fanboys only adds more fuel to the fire.... I say we never speak of it and perhaps they'l get bored and go back to bickering about Exclusive games.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 remiks00

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Thats a very noble Insight.... Too Bad I don't know what Berating Means... Therefor Resolution Wars must continue.....

But Seriously though... I doubt this level of ignorance is gona go away anytime soon.... All I can do Is avoid the topic all together... Trying to appeal to the rational of fanboys only adds more fuel to the fire.... I say we never speak of it and perhaps they'l get bored and go back to bickering about Exclusive games.

It never ends lol.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Because 1080p/60FPS have been standard for years now on one platform while the rest, even with a hardware upgrade, have no particular consistent method of making that amount.

For a dick measuring contest of second place, I wish it wasn't so far away. Sure $400 is a great price, but I do want 60FPS to be standard on consoles now at least.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I just find it sad how it has become such a cheap way to get hits and clicks. Just put some resolution talk on the front page. That'll get people's attention.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Well, even if PC gamers ceased jabbing console gamers for inferior resolution and framerate, console fanboys will still take jabs at each other over any disparities. But I agree, I'd much rather see resources devoted to things like physics, or destructible environments, and other visually impressive effects, and I'd be willing to accept a sacrifice in resolution and framerate to achieve that.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Console gamers fight over 900p vs 792p way more than PC gamers and Sony is also using this whole 1080p thing to advertise their console as "true next gen" experience . Sooner or later it'll bite them in the ass when games like Witcher 3 start to roll out . It has already begun with Watch Dogs .

On other hand I agree with you that devs should focus on improving gameplays and AI .

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

It's really just the community here on SW. Full of a bunch of consolite idiots.

If you buy a console as your primary device for gaming you automatically throw you're credibility away if you argue about graphics.

There are people on these forums that argue about a specific console and they don't even own one of them.. It's a weird basement dwelling (most likely their parents) community.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I feel like no one would be making a big deal out of resolution and frame rate if the developers didn't. With that said, I recently posted that consoles should make a goal of a consistent 30fps instead of promising lies in the future. Once there are less cross gen games the visuals will naturally be better. I agree with the OP.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Consolites bring up resolution and framerates just as much if not more than PC gamers.

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts

@finalstar2007: I agree and disagree at the same time. Graphics aren't important to me as long as the game looks nice enough (and in this regard: art style > technical advancement) but story, over gameplay, in the only INTERACTIVE media? Ok no-no-no-no-no!! If you want a story you can read a book, watch a movie, listen to a song, or watch a screen play. Please don't be greedy and let us gamers have one form of media to ourselves. Just like graphics, it is a nice plus to have but it comes way after gameplay. In most genres it even comes way after graphics.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If I wanted a good story I'd read a book

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

All consoles games should be optimized to run at 1080p@30fps.

Anything less than that is unacceptable

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Gameplay&Story>>>Graphics any day. I can easily go back to a PS2 game and enjoy the heck out of it over and over rather than play a 5 hour beautiful game with no replay value which becomes useless to me

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

True

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

So you bought COD for the story than?

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

There are two words you’re going to hear a lot of when it comes to PS4 and together, they change the game: 1080p 60fps

The fail tweet.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Funny, I've seen way more threads/posts berating the XB1 from console gamers recently than I've ever seen from PC gamers.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

if graphics really didnt matter, console players would still be on their old systems. Instead they buy new ones for graphics

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No, performance > graphics. These consoles can do both, though.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts
@wis3boi said:

if graphics really didnt matter, console players would still be on their old systems. Instead they buy new ones for graphics

Yeah that isn't true. A lot more comes with more powerful hardware then just graphics. Gnomoria is the ugliest game I adore, but I don't think it could run on a PS3/360. My rig starts having trouble with the late game. It is true that most high budget console games have put all their chips on sweeping vistas and set pieces, but that doesn't mean other people are phoning it in.

A Console example of this would be Bastion I guess. Looks like Sega, but Sega couldn't have pulled it off.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

No, it's mostly console gamers who bit the bait that was laid at e3 about the next gen consoles hitting that magical 60fps at 1080p and now they are back pedalling claiming that it never mattered.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Resolution only matters when you don't have it ... like xbone ...

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#32 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Im really not that crazy about resolution. I do think we shouldn't have issues these days with 720P at the very very least though.

As for frame rate, 60fps is really only important for competitive reflex intensive multiplayer games like shooters and fighting games and spectacle fighters like Metal Gear Rising. Everything else should be fine at thirty, I think.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@Snugenz said:

Consolites bring up resolution and framerates just as much if not more than PC gamers.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

games look great at this point to me. I began in the '70s with pong, and look what they have become. Some want to believe a company cares about them, or one cant enjoy games on more than one console. I'm glad that isn't me.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#35  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Let's just focus on the things that matter more, please.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

A number of posters nailed it in this thread. I don't even need to touch it.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I am just disappointed 1080p has been the standard for years. 2k been on pc and we even started to move to 4k. The ps3/x360 both did games at 720p and the ps3 has a bunch of 1080p games. It would be only natural to think that the ps4 would do all games at 1080p with ease.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Console gamers berate each other over gfx and performance more than PC gamers do.

Look at console, sheep, lemming fighting over gfx the last few years most threads are from them.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Woah woah. PC gamers weren't the one bashing the graphic fidelity in the beginning. The ponies took that position blasting the xbone for not being able to pull out 1080p/60 FPS.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By remiks00

@bldgirsh said:

Woah woah. PC gamers weren't the one bashing the graphic fidelity in the beginning. The ponies took that position blasting the xbone for not being able to pull out 1080p/60 FPS.

@clyde46 said:

No, it's mostly console gamers who bit the bait that was laid at e3 about the next gen consoles hitting that magical 60fps at 1080p and now they are back pedalling claiming that it never mattered.

Exactly. Sony warriors bought into the PR (As always..) of "Give me 60fps, or give me death". Once Xbox One games came out not hitting the mark, it became a popular bash topic.

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/400013356717056000

MillCityMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MillCityMadman
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

I think the pure consolites should appreciate all the resolution/frame-rate scrutiny that comes from the PC enthusiasts. If this is supposed to be next gen shouldn't the consoles be held to next gen standards? Or should we all just be good consumers and accept whatever rushed sloppily coded games that dev's churn out?

If consumers are not vocal about these issues the dev's, and console makers will have no fire under their asses to deliver the goods. I think the pure console players should be the loudest ones about the issue, as its a non issue on the PC end.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sushiglutton  Online

@Snugenz said:

Sure, but for them it's not counterproductive in the same way as it is for PC-gamers. The lower framerate/resolution the console version of a game has, the better it is for PC-gamers (as we can just throw more power at it)! The same is not true for console gamers.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Because 1080p/60FPS have been standard for years now on one platform while the rest, even with a hardware upgrade, have no particular consistent method of making that amount.

For a dick measuring contest of second place, I wish it wasn't so far away. Sure $400 is a great price, but I do want 60FPS to be standard on consoles now at least.

1080p is not even a standard on PC,32% now run 1080p hardly the standard,and that is now 3 years ago it was even lower.

Not every one who has a PC can run games at 1080p 60FPS.

60FPS will never be standard on the console market,because developers use the extra power for graphics rather than for frames 30FPS has been always the norm with some games running at 60.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Console gamers fight over 900p vs 792p way more than PC gamers and Sony is also using this whole 1080p thing to advertise their console as "true next gen" experience . Sooner or later it'll bite them in the ass when games like Witcher 3 start to roll out . It has already begun with Watch Dogs .

On other hand I agree with you that devs should focus on improving gameplays and AI .

Only 2 games on PS4 are 900p the rest are 1080p,even PC has tons of games where player have to lower quality or drop AA altogether to get 1080p even more at 60FPS,this grouping of PC together strong and weak is a joke,the majority of PC gamers are low ass specs PC,below PS4 levels this is a damn fact.

In fact so sad it is that in this very moment half of Steam can't even play Watchdogs the damn game requires a quad core and Steam has 48% of their PC with dual core,so grouping together all PC and ignoring that the majority can't even play most PS4 games is a joke,a $500 dollars walmart PC can't play sh** unless you spend $150 more for a 7850 like GPU,and mostly dual core show how crappy the situation is on PC with its low adoption rate.

32% on steam is on 1080p the fallow close with 24% which is 1366x768 that is barely over 720p,and lower than 900p,but you don't see me calling PC the 768p platform.

@clyde46 said:

Actually there were many arguments only the most hard core fell for that sh** as many always stated that 60FPS on consoles would not be the norm because developer always give up frames for visuals.

Call it like it is..

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

@Snugenz said:

Sure, but for them it's not counterproductive in the same way as it is for PC-gamers. The lower framerate/resolution the console version of a game has, the better it is for PC-gamers (as we can just throw more power at it)! The same is not true for console gamers.

This logic is flawed. The weaker the console is the less effort they put on the PC port to get it done with ASAP.

Example:

Watch_Dogs

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online

@bldgirsh said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@Snugenz said:

This logic is flawed. The weaker the console is the less effort they put on the PC port to get it done with ASAP.

Example:

Watch_Dogs

No, it's actually your logic that is a bit off :). Console hardware is fixed,they are not getting weaker (or stronger) for the coming 5 years+.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Why
Do
People
Keep
Making
This
Argument
!?

It's been like this since the dawn of consoles. On fixed hardware (consoles) devs have always had to make the choice between FPS or visual fidelity. I don't understand why people keeping thinking that some how this gen magically should unlock 60FPS for every game.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@pyratrum: What, I can't want a feature?

I know the trade offs. I just wish we had 60FPS more often. Did that stop me from picking up a PS4 yesterday? Nope.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

actually it isnt ideal...ideal is 1080p/60fps. i think the bickering on the internet is drawing attention to what gamers want...which should have been standard this gen.

paying for a new console, the first thing people look at is graphics, but it really hasnt been up to snuff for the most part. while im happy how most games look, i can understand the need for the current gen console to be somewhat of a leap from previous gen. last gens standard was 720p/30fps, so why is this gens standard still the same?

i like the attention its getting so the devs and hardware manufacturers know that this is important. new consoles should be an upgrade. i know ps4/xb1 went the economical route this time, but they should know that they have to do something to up the anty.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I don't think it's unwarranted at all.

Looking back it was wrong to promise that in the PS3/360 gen. The machines were weak even compared to modest gaming PC's at launch.

Now we have this new gen with shit-tons of RAM and relatively fast APUs, and were all crying about a few things and they failed to listen. They should have easily been able to do 1080p (FAIL) and 45-60fps (FAIL).

This gen is a fail as far as I'm concerned, but I'm still going to get a PS4 because what choice do I have?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

WTF. Console gamers don't shut up about graphics and teh powah, especially cows these days, some are arguing how the PS4 is at the same level as the PC. But as soon as the PC gamer points out the consoles flaws in this disappointing gen, it's now counter productive.

As if a developer could go on SWs on any other given days, like they wouldn't see the consoles gamers bitching about graphics all day long. The cows have been going on and on and on about graphics, resolution and teh GDDR 5 non stop for about one and a half years.

Also, it's not about the consoles running at 30fps, every console always will, to push their graphical potential depending on the genre. It's about them struggling to produce good graphics at 60fps this early on.