Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Some other crap.

Source: http://www.4gamer.net/games/384/G038402/20171211079/

Translated by: @HiagoXYZ

TL Note: This interview happened before the newest VJump magazine, where they've announced Goku Black, Hit and Beerus.

Aiming a "Dragon Ball" game that reaches out to both casual and hardcore gamers

4Gamer:

Thank you for the opportunity. When the game was first announced in the Microsoft conference at E3 2017, the crowd was extremely receptive. We've also had many character reveals which gave us much to talk until now. How is the repercussion for Dragon Ball FighterZ so far?

Hiroki Tomoko:

Honestly, I didn't think we'd get this much repercussion. When I saw the crowd's reaction at the announcement, I was once again reminded about how much people loved the Dragon Ball series.

Being a fighting game and all, I thought the game could make people feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of playing it, but thanks to Arc System Works' high-end anime graphics, it seems to have appealed to anime fans as well.

Motomura Junya:

Back then I was watching the live stream from my own house, and I can say I was very surprised at the repercussion. We knew some people wanted a "Dragon Ball fighting game with Guilty Gear visuals", but after watching that I was relieved. "They really wanted it", I thought.

Furutani Ryosuke:

I didn't think they'd get that hyped up about it (laughs). Right before playing the trailer, Phil Spencer introduced the game as "a bit crazy of a game he had found in Japan". I was really moved by all of it.

4Gamer:

You've conducted a Closed Beta Test not too long ago too. How did that go?

Hiroki Tomoko:

Looking at the surveys, we could tell people were satisfied enough with the game. If anything, I was relieved to know that the direction we chose for the game wasn't wrong, after all. We planned this game out with both anime fans and fighting game players in mind, and we're glad both are enjoying the game so far. We still have much left to adjust from now on as well, however.

Motomura Junya:

Looking at the players' reactions, I'm always insecure, thinking about "how authentic a fighting game it is", or how "maybe I'm not fit to be part of this if we're really developing an authentic fighting game". Dragon Ball FighterZ is supposed to be a title with a much larger audience than any of Arc System Works' past games, so I'm always keeping that in mind while working on it.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Everyone is looking forward to a very "Dragon Ball-like" battle style, so we're especially careful about animation and controls. The super moves are relatively easier to execute as well, so everyone can rest assured it'll accessible to all fans.

4Gamer:

I see. Between Bandai Namco and Arc System Works, which one brought the idea up first? We'd be happy if you could reveal details regarding the title's origins.

Hiroki Tomoko:

We've partnered up with Arc System Works for game development in the past too, for titles such as "Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden". At some point, we've started brainstorming about how we wanted to develop a high-end fighting game next, and that's when I've suggested the idea to Arc System Works.

4Gamer:

And what was their reaction after listening to that idea? Not only anime fans, but fighting gamers are also very excited about this game, I believe.

Motomura Junya:

"Please let us do it!!", basically (laughs). I believed that, by taking care of an IP with many fans such as Dragon Ball, we'd have a good chance to show everyone how fun fighting games can be.

Furutani Ryosuke:

I thought that, if we're doing this, then we need graphics that can appeal to everyone. With that in mind, I've chosen Motomura, a well-acknowledged technical artist from Guilty Gear Xrd, to act as the director for the game. We're also aware that everyone's looking forward to the "fighting game" part of the game, and our company's battle planners are helping out with that. Our whole company has reorganized to fully support the development of this game.

4Gamer:

Speaking of which, since the E3 reveal you've been very proactive in marketing the game as an "authentic" fighting game. What do you mean by that?

Hiroki Tomoko:

We've released many Dragon Ball titles up until now, but comparatively speaking I feel like most of them are very "light" in that sense. For example, the "Dragon Ball Xenoverse" series has over 8 million sales worldwide, and has opened up an enormous market for us, but I believe most of the people involved are casual players.

4Gamer:

Yes, I can definitely understand that.

Hiroki Tomoko:

And while that's true, our aim with the current "Dragon Ball FighterZ" is not only appealing to casual players, but also to whoever might be looking for a hardcore experience — so they can also come to like Dragon Ball games. Not only that, but we hope casual players can also get to know a bit more about the hardcore gameplay. For that reason, we've decided to market it out as "authentic".

4Gamer:

I see... Sounds very challenging. But, as said just now, aren't there many who are reluctant to playing fighting games?

Motomura Junya:

I'm sure there are many of them. But when you think about it, there's also people thinking "I don't really play fighting games, but I want to try this out". In that sense, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Furutani Ryosuke:

We've listened to many people who were insecure due to only having played fighting games during childhood, or back in the SNES-era. That's why we're trying to develop a game that looks so cool, that people will want get over that "barrier" for the sake of playing it. With that mindset and the charm of Dragon Ball characters, I think it's not too far a reality.

Hiroki Tomoko:

"We'll make a game that's fun even for people just watching it" — That's something ArcSys told me, and it made a lot of sense to me. It's a very important thing for a game to have, to say the least. But it's not just about graphics that look similar to the anime; we need to recreate the speedy battles Dragon Ball is famous for, but make it so that people can follow what's happening. That's one of the things we always have in mind while working on this title.

4Gamer:

Alright, we'll go over that in details later (laughs). Before that, I'd like to ask a question about Hiroki-san herself — you've been involved with Arc System Works in the past, cooperating in the development of Extreme Butouden. Have you always been working with Dragon Ball titles?

Hiroki Tomoko:

Let's see, back in the day I helped in the development of titles such as "Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2" and "Dragon Ball Tag Versus" as an assistant producer. After that I got involved in other projects related to Shounen Jump games, and the first Dragon Ball titles I worked on as the producer were "Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden" and "Dragon Ball Fusions". I'm about just as involved in "Dragon Ball Xenoverse" too.

4Gamer:

Wow, I can see you're very passionate about Dragon Ball. By the way, how do you like fighting games? Do you play those normally?

Hiroki Tomoko:

Not as much as Arc System Works' employees, but I like The King of Fighters and Street Fighter, and used to play it frequently. Though I always played female characters, no matter what (laughs).

The characters born from their many particularities

4Gamer:

Well then, let us hear more about everyone's favorite subject: the playable characters. We've had more than 20 playable characters announced. What was the criteria behind those choices?

Motomura Junya:

That was definitely one of the most troubling parts for us. It's not something we can define with just one key point... We've been as careful as we can before making a decision regarding characters. We can't possibly leave the popular characters out, and we need to think about it as a fighting game too. Lastly, we need to think about the story development in the game before making a choice.

Hiroki Tomoko:

We couldn't make decisions based solely on the "Dragon Ball game" aspect, but also take in consideration the priorities in fighting games as far as archetypes go. Basing ourselves on things like "how particular of a battle style does this character have" or "how unique will this character look when compared to the others", we believe we've had a good diversity on characters so far.

4Gamer:

Out of the whole cast, I think... Nappa is a very curious choice.

Furutani Ryosuke:

Nappa was chosen based on how he'd be able to setup the Saibamen on-screen. Given how he's a setplay-based power character, we believe it was a rare find among the Dragon Ball games.

Motomura Junya:

Also, because it's a 3on3 game, we're always consdering things like "if those two characters team up, how would they interact?" or how they'd interact in the story.

4Gamer:

You mean like dialogue between the characters?

Motomura Junya:

Yes. The combination technique between Android 18 and Kuririn is really cool, so look forward to that. Also, we've prepared special dialogue for certain team compositions before and during battle.

Furutani Ryosuke:

Talking about how characters relate to each other, I definitely recommend Yamcha. He's acquainted to many characters in the game — his dialogues are sure to be fun.

Motomura Junya:

Even considering all of that, there are still a couple of characters we couldn't choose. It was overall very difficult choosing. There were characters that overlapped with others already in, and some that didn't fit the requirements to be in a fighting game. Sometimes, we had to exclude some characters due to them not fitting well with the game's mechanics.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

By that logic, we were supposed to forget about Ginyu right away, though......

Motomura Junya:

I really wanted to give up on him, but I've done everything I could to make him a viable choice. There's a LOT of effort put on Ginyu, to be quite frank.

Hiroki Tomoko:

It's not really the Ginyu Force without all five of them, right?

4Gamer:

One could say that Ginyu's "Body Change" is a very aggressive design as far as fighting games go.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

To be a little more clear on that, it's not that easy to successfully hit the Body Change. You really won't need to actually learn every single character in the game (laughs).

Hiroki Tomoko:

If you hold the button when using it, you'll inflict damage to yourself before swapping bodies. We've brushed up the game on these little details from the series too, so please look forward to it.

4Gamer:

Now that's some effort you'd expect from ArcSys. By the way, how do you come up with the ideas for the moves and animations? Is ArcSys behind the thought process as well?

Motomura Junya:

The battle planners gather a lot of data from the series and then ask the designers to come up with moves based on certain scenes from the anime/manga, basically. With that said, it's not enough with just a picture or frame, so the designers complement the motions, doing their best to make them look really cool.

4Gamer:

The fans have been talking a lot about the impressive number of references from the series. Like "this move comes from that scene from the manga", etc. Especially for characters such as Ginyu, who are filled with references all over.

Motomura Junya:

Things like Freeza's Death Saucer coming back to hit him, right? (laughs)

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

We'd make notes of any idea that came up on our minds. Because it's a fighting game, there's a lot we can't afford to include in it, but at the same time we do everything we can to reproduce the series as accurately as possible. For exemple, Kuririn's "Destructo Disc" was an unblockable move at first. However, that came out way much stronger than expected, so we had to change it to a blockable move that dealt a considerable amount of chip damage instead.

Hiroki Tomoko:

I believe we were right to leave these details up to Arc System Works, really. Every last one of the characters were adjusted to the tiniest detail — they definitely came up very particular, and I'm very grateful to ArcSys for that.

Motomura Junya:

Thank you very much. Hearing this makes me feel like all the effort was worth it (laughs).

4Gamer:

Are we correct in believing there're still more characters left unannounced? Personally, I feel like we're lacking characters from the recent Dragon Ball Super series.

Hiroki Tomoko:

Since we've already added the SSGSS versions of Goku and Vegeta, and the Golden Freeza transformation, I feel like there's already representation for Dragon Ball Super...... Well, regarding new characters, they'll be announced at the next VJump magazine, so please look forward to that.

4Gamer:

Alright (laughs). But thinking about the anime's standards, there's a wide difference in power between some of the characters included in this game. Of course, we're speaking of a game so that issue is expected to be dealt with to a certain extent, but what are your thoughts on that, personally?

Hiroki Tomoko:

Considering the setting of the original series, it's very hard to imagine Kuririn winning against Goku. However, Kuririn in this game has the Senzu Beans at his disposal, and the support of his teammates as well. Thinking about it that way, you could say

he has a fair chance against the rest of the cast.

Furutani Ryosuke:

When you really think about it, Dragon Ball in itself has that kind of development where characters team up to beat a much stronger enemy, right? You may not be able to win in a 1on1 match, but things could turn out differently if you team up with other characters. We'd like people to enjoy that "what if" in-game element.

Single player elements thought out for the casual players

4Gamer:

Following the last subject, I'd like to hear more about this title's Single Player mode. I'm particularly curious about the Story Mode. From what I hear, the Story Mode is divided in three arcs. Would it be accurate to say this game's story will fork out in several different paths?

Hiroki Tomoko:

This game's story is way different than usual. It all starts when all Z Warriors are left unconscious by some mysterious wave propagating everywhere. From there, the player will be linking to several characters and unfolding the truth through many battles — these three links are composed by Goku, the villains, and Android 18.

4Gamer:

In other words, you will be solving this mystery through different points of view?

Motomura Junya:

There's only one protagonist, but the story will unfold differently based on which character you're linking with. The stories are parallel to each other, so a fight that happens in a particular scenario may not happen in another character's.

Hiroki Tomoko:

One of the key points here is how dialogue and events will change depending on your team composition. For instance, when Gotenks and Nappa are teamed up, Gotenks keeps pestering Nappa to become a Super Saiyan. In the anime, Nappa dies long before Gotenks is born, meaning this is the first time they meet. For starters, Nappa doesn't even know what a Super Saiyan actually is, leading to some really funny dialogue (laughs).

Furutani Ryosuke:

Gotenks keeps provoking him by asking if he can become a Super Saiyan, and of course Nappa gets really mad at it (laughs). There's tons of dialogue like this one, so for those wanting to watch all scenes, you'll need a lot of time and disposition.

Hiroki Tomoko:

It's really worth seeing these dream scenes you never got to experience in the actual series through ArcSys's high-level anime graphics. Also, there's a lot into the "Link Conversation" mechanic too. You can speak with characters you link with — in other words, either Goku or Android 18 — and the distance between you and them decreases as you fight together, and as you grow closer to each other, you'll be able to hear them confess private stuff to you.

4Gamer:

I'm very curious to see what characters like 18 and Vegeta have to say once you've bonded with them.

Hiroki Tomoko:

You'll be able to see new sides to all characters, so please look forward to it (laughs). There's also a "growth" mechanic in the Story Mode, so even beginners to fighting games will be able to play and enjoy it. Stronger enemies will be beatable as long as you increase your character's level.

4Gamer:

Is there other single player content besides Story Mode we can look forward to?

Hiroki Tomoko:

There's an Arcade Mode, though it's a bit different than a common one. As you clear it with a good ranking, stronger enemies will keep appearing in it. You've also got different "paths" in it, so you'll be able to enjoy it as much as a "Score Attack Mode".

4Gamer:

A good way to measure your own abilities, I see.

More crap.

Source: http://www.4gamer.net/games/384/G038402/20171211079/

Translated by: @HiagoXYZ

TL Note: This interview happened before the newest VJump magazine, where they've announced Goku Black, Hit and Beerus.

The battle design which accurately reproduces the series' heritage.

4Gamer:

From now on we'll be going to subjects more akin to fighting game fans. I'd like to hear more about the battle design for Dragon Ball FighterZ. Firstly, why did you decide to make it a 3on3 fighting game?

Furutani Ryosuke:

At first that was a very controversial subject too. In the end, the main reason we decided to go with a 3on3 game is because it'd be really difficult to limit yourself to using only one character from the Dragon Ball universe. If you're fan, you'll want to use Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo — you can't help that.

Not only that, but from the beginning we've had the concepts "real time tagging" and "no limitation by rounds" in mind when designing the game. That's because you really need it to feel like a real brawl. That's how Dragon Ball is supposed to feel. Having completely different characters team up and fight each other is what's thrilling about it!

4Gamer:

If that's the case, wouldn't a 2on2 — a "tag battle" game suffice?

Hiroki Tomoko:

Tag battles are cool as well, but you risk increasing the pressure on the player's side. In the actual game, we've elaborated a new mode called "Party Mode", where one player controls a single character, up to 6 players at the same time. We didn't want the player to feel any pressure while playing, so that's why we went with a 3on3.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Instead of just focusing on learning each character, we also wanted players to think more about when they're supposed to change characters, or coming up with strategies when they're teambuilding. That's something you can do well with 3 characters, and it's one of the reasons we went with it too.

4Gamer:

I see. When talking about 3on3 games, you just can't avoid thinking about the Marvel vs. Capcom series. Did you find inspiration from their titles as well?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

We've used their games as reference for our title too. In that sense, however, you could say we've done research on the many available games out there to use as reference for Dragon Ball FighterZ.

4Gamer:

Well, I don't even know why I asked. It's Arc System Works we're talking about here, haha.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

As we've done our research, we've decided to make it so that you always get a "fresh round start" whenever a character is defeated and the next one comes in. We may want this game to look like a real brawl, but we don't want things to be unreasonable either. Thinking about the ups and downs, we've decided to keep it this way.

Furutani Ryosuke:

One character gets beaten, and we go to the next phase. By starting fresh, we wanted it to be easier to see which player is the better one. For the ones watching, this makes for a much smoother and digestible experience.

4Gamer:

I see. In this game, characters kick in by using their Super Dash mechanic, and it doesn't look very risky either.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Yes. Since you're flying towards the opponent with an active hitbox in front of you, switching characters shouldn't be too difficult. The point here is switching characters a lot and making the player use many characters. By doing this, they may find different strategies still undiscovered in other titles.

4Gamer:

Please tell me more about the Super Dash mechanic. From what I understand, it's a move where you fly towards the opponent with an active hitbox in front of you, and it's invulnerable to projectiles. Is that correct?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

That sounds about right. To be clear though, it's only invulnerable to weak projectiles (ki blasts, for example); a projectile such as a Kamehameha will stop it.Being more specific about it, you're not invulnerable but repelling the projectiles. Then again, you don't get any chip damage so you can't really call it a super armor. So calling it invulnerable might not be wrong after all.

4Gamer:

I've played a bit during the Closed Beta Test, and I felt like this mechanic was one of the key points in this game's battle design. Is the Super Dash advantageous when blocked, after all?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Not really, you're actually slightly on disadvantage. However, when blocked you're often in the air and the distance between you and the opponent increases, so realistically speaking there's no harm in saying you're neutral afterwards.

Furutani Ryosuke:

That was also true for Extreme Butouden, but in the Dragon Ball universe, projectiles are really fast. Comparing them to those in common fighting games, they're unbelievably faster, there's many more projectiles at once and their hitbox are also much bigger. Not to mention you can shoot them with a single button. Those are the basics to the Dragon Ball universe. Which is why we needed a system to act as a countermeasure to that.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

And when we talk about reproducing Dragon Ball, there's no way we can leave out the flying motion out of it. Not to mention that, for a casual player in the projectile-happy Dragon Ball world, you need a countermeasure or they won't even be able to move. That's when I came up with this idea: being able to approach the enemy with a single button.

4Gamer:

I see. So that's why the Super Dash works like that.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

For starters, there aren't many moves in this game where you're at enough disadvantage to get punished hard by the opponent. That's because we want players to feel confident enough to try lots of different things and see what works better. By moving proactively, the battlefield will change little by little.

Hiroki Tomoko:

Beginners should start by learning how to Super Dash. You can easily approach the opponent and once it hits you can follow it up with an aerial combo. Aerial combos are fun, so I'd like players to experience that before anything. When playing more experienced players you'll need more than that, however.

4Gamer:

As for countermeasures against the Super Dash, we're supposed to use the 2H (crouching heavy attack), I assume. It feels like the 2H has upper body invulnerability.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

To be precise, it's not upper body invulnerability, but invulnerability against jump-property attacks. You can punish a Super Dash with your 2H, and you can also leave a Kamehameha in front of it. Even if you block it, there's a good chance you'll hit the opponent afterwards by using your 2H too. For experienced players, you could try using the Z Reflect as well.

4Gamer:

If I recall, the Z Reflect is supposed to be that counter move with long recovery time... The one where you use your bare hands, right?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Yes, that. You can deflect blasts with that. It's a system designed for more experienced players, but I've had it designed so you can easily change the tides when attacking/defending. You can destroy the scenery in a very Dragon Ball-ish way by deflecting Ki Blasts too, so I definitely recommend using it (laughs).

4Gamer:

When talking about Dragon Ball moves, we can't skip the "Punish Move" (Vanish). Being it cancelable from either normal or special moves and teleporting behind the opponent to kick him across the screen, I assume it's supposed to be mostly used in combos.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

You spend 1 gauge to use it, but you can cancel anything except super moves into it. As you say, you can use it to extend combos, or as a countermeasure against projectiles being fired at you.

Motomura Junya:

It can be used similarly to a Roman Cancel to extend combos, or to catch your opponent off guard with a surprise attack. Also, it proves to be useful when reacting to the opponent's moves and then counterattacking with it. There are many uses to this mechanic.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

At first I just really wanted to add something very "Dragon Ball" into the game, and that's how I came up with that. Also, during "Sparkling" mode, if you hold the Punish Move buttons, you'll warp behind the opponent but won't automatically kick them. In other words, you can teleport behind them and just do whatever you want afterwards.

4Gamer:

Sounds like a mechanic worth researching with.

Furutani Ryosuke:

In matches between battle planners, often you'd see one of them approaching with a low airdash jump attack, and the other one trying to turn the tables with a sudden Final Flash. The former would just cancel it into a Punish Move and kick Vegeta across the screen. It's a good mechanic to overturn a situation where you'd normally lose, so I'm looking forward to seeing how players use it (laughs).

Seeking for deeper competition where beginners can play too

4Gamer:

I've noticed for a while now, but for an Arc System Works game, the characters seem to emphasize much more on universal mechanics than their own quirks.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

That may be true. But, in a way, this has been done purposefully. For instance, let’s say I enjoy playing grappler characters. There’s no way to tell whether who I’m fighting next — could be a fighting gamer, or a casual player.

4Gamer:

Indeed. Not to mention they need to learn how to play three characters, at the very least. It’s far from an easy task.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Exactly. In our Guilty Gear and BlazBlue series, where characters have an abundant variety of particular moves, mastering multiple characters can prove to be a difficult task — even for the so called fighting gamers. By adding more universal mechanics, I wanted to make things more accessible for everyone.

4Gamer:

Would you say mastering one character is enough for people to quickly pick up other characters later on?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Yes. I can’t really say every character plays the same, but everyone’s controls are very similar. We planned the controls with that in mind too.

4Gamer:

With that said, the use of assists should prove to add a bit of difficulty to the game as far as offense and defense are concerned.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

That’s true. When building your team, you need to think about which characters are strong when in control and which ones shine the brightest when used as assists. That also means you need to worry about the team structure and order. We want players to think “What can I do with this kind of team?” — that’s one of this game’s key points.

4Gamer:

So in case you’re using strong assist characters, you’re better off placing them last in order, or something along these lines. Are the assist's abilities unique to each character?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Yes. Each character has a single assist skill. Of course each assist's properties differ from the others, and while there might be stronger assists, you will also find weaker ones. Think of that as part of what makes them unique too.

4Gamer:

Vegeta's assist (Ki Blast Rush) is definitely a strong one. I'm sure many fighting gamers took a quick look at it and already thought it to be a very strong tool (laughs).

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Assists that can keep you restrained for a long time are usually strong, yes. However, there are other strong assists in the game, don't worry (laughs). Besides, you've also got weird assists like Kuririn's, recovering your own HP.

4Gamer:

By the way, do assist characters have a hurtbox as well?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

They do. There's a bit of a prorate change in their damage calculations, but if they get caught, they'll take about as much damage as the point character. These kind of calculations are also part of what defines which veteran is the best one.

4Gamer:

When playing the Closed Beta Test, I've noticed many of the game's controls are based on multiple button presses when playing with an Arcade Stick, and I thought it to be a execution barrier, personally. At some point I've wondered whether the game was designed so you'd play using a Game Pad anyway. Am I correct?

Motomura Junya:

It's exactly as you say. You can definitely play using an arcade stick, but the game was designed with pad players in mind. For instance, by placing the Dragon Rush (the game's throw, so to say) on R1 and the Super Dash on R2, you've made it easier for new players to use the mechanics with a single button. On the other hand, we've had L1 and L2 as the Assist buttons.

4Gamer:

With that said, there are a lot of aspects to consider in this game's system. People wonder if this won't confuse new players.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Of course, but that goes not only to beginners, but even veterans not used to the 3on3 format. At first, they won't be able to make full use of character switching and assists. That's why I think players should just go and press these buttons first, as they'll slowly get used to them. There are no complicated mechanics in this game where you feel like, if you don't use them, you won't be able to fight or won't be fun to.

4Gamer:

Do you not need to read the game's manual?

Motomura Junya:

I think you should just play the game at first. You can go learn about it after fiddling with it for a while. The starting line, at least for those in Japan, usually isn't that different anyway. Before anything, I think people can go and enjoy this game as an action game.

4Gamer:

I see. By the way, did you ever think of adding a "Simple Mode" for controls?

Furutani Ryosuke:

Not this time, no. Having the controls differ right from the start may lead to people unconsciously choosing the harder mode out of pride, causing frustration and discouragement. That's why we decided to make the default mode a simple way to play the game.

Motomura Junya:

That's also part of Hiroki-san's wish to appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers. If you just make the controls as simple as you can, later on that same simplified system will prevent you from evolving.

We gave the same controls to every player, and made them easy to execute. As you improve, the things you can do with those controls increase. By doing that, I believe people will end up realizing how fun fighting games can be.

4Gamer:

Indeed, I agree with you.

Furutani Ryosuke:

Also, we've added a combo executed by repeatedly pressing the same button, called "Super Combo". Even if you don't hit anything, the character will keep canceling into the next move — and as you press buttons, the character moves forward as well.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

And that's why, between two beginners, we've added a button where they can both press it and approach each other. Things like jumping and dashing are rather difficult, and only veterans will enjoy being far away from each other and playing a "neutral game". We've had all of this in mind when designing the battle system.

4Gamer:

I see, you've had all in mind when coming up with the system. By now I understand better what you were trying to do with it.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

In fact, it took a long time until we'd polished the battle system up to this point. Between looking up other titles there was a lot of trial and error, and we had a lot of complications with the character switching system at first.

Hiroki Tomoko:

Back then, any new ROM uploaded had changes to the battle system (laughs).

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

This is Dragon Ball, and everyone has their own image and expectations of what represents it. It was very difficult to put it all together. But I'd like to believe it was all worth the effort, and that people can now play a game they'll really enjoy.

4Gamer:

As for fighting gamers, they should be mastering the Super Dash first, and then practicing combos using the Punish Move on Training Mode, I assume.

Motomura Junya:

If you feel like you're in trouble, I think it's a valid idea to use the Punish Move. If anything, you won't be at disadvantage even if they block it.

Furutani Ryosuke:

It won't be pretty if they read your intentions, though (laughs).

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

Also learning how to use assists will really change the way you play the game. Not only to extend combos, but using them on neutral will add up to your strategies a lot.

4Gamer:

When I played the Closed Beta Test, I've definitely felt like damage output was a little on the low side. Is that because we haven't found out better combos yet?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

We've adjusted the game a bit already, but as long as you get a full combo, you can deal about 30~40% of a character's HP in a single combo using no meter. With meter you can definitely get at least 50% damage. In other words, the game is balanced around 2 combos per character kill.

Motomura Junya:

Characters regenerate their blue HP once they switch, so playing your neutral game well will most likely lead to longer matches. Like previously said, there's low risk to switching characters, and there are combos involving the Z Change mechanic as well, so regenerating blue HP shouldn't be too difficult in general. On the other hand, if we increase the damage output further, we might not be able to say so any longer.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

It's extremely important to regenerate HP through switching. Things like deciding between a Super Dash follow-up or a Z Change after a 2H, you know. But there aren't many matches ending in a time-out, that's for sure.

Furutani Ryosuke:

I mean, if you've got Sparkling activated and manage to hit a clean Meteor super, you're bound to inflict about 70% a character's HP (laughs).

4Gamer:

Now I'm even more excited for the game. As a fighting gamer, you can imagine a lot just from this talk (laughs).

Seeking for deeper competition where beginners can play too

4Gamer:

Could you please tell me more about the Online Mode? People are very curious about the Lobbies, particularly speaking.

Motomura Junya:

In this game, the Lobby in itself is the game's Main Menu. There's no such thing as an "Online Mode" in the Main Menu. Everything, including the Single Player content, is inside the Lobbies. You're supposed to walk to them and start it up. For whoever's annoyed at walking around, we've prepared a instant teleport feature too.

4Gamer:

Wow, that's very interesting. In other words, as soon as you boot up the game you're ready to play online matches? What happens if you're not connected to the Internet?

Motomura Junya:

When you're offline, you'll just show up at an empty lobby. You can play the Single Player content just as fine.

4Gamer:

So this is designed in order for casual players to enjoy online play as well.

Motomura Junya:

Exactly. For starters, most casual players don't even bother with online play. That's why we've made it so there are no barriers between online and offline — you'll be online as soon as you start. We'll be happy if there are people willing to at least try playing online if it's that accessible to them.

4Gamer:

The Lobby in itself is similar to ArcSys's lobbies in other games, I assume? Where you choose a character for the lobby and you're in a park running around.

Furutani Ryosuke:

Yeah. You can find the Tenkaichi Budoukai match stage at the center, and you'll be in front of it as soon as you start playing. Once you start walking, you'll realize other people are playing too. If you ever feel like being in the middle of that, you'll be able to in a few steps.

4Gamer:

Huh, that's really cool. Can you find the Training, Mission and Tutorial Modes in there as well?

Motomura Junya:

That's right. The Tutorial Mode is completely separate from the Story Mode, and you're faced against the CPU right away. You receive instructions from the game, and the CPU will accompany you throughout them. You don't really need to follow the instructions, but instead of having you read a huge amount of text, we've decided to let you learn as you play the game.

Furutani Ryosuke:

We've designed it so that you can spend less time reading and more time concentrating in what's in front of you, in-battle.

4Gamer:

Can you do fishing like in Guilty Gear Xrd?

Motomura Junya:

There's no fishing, but instead you've got a Capsule Shop. The capsules purchased in that shop can grant you many items, such as titles and lobby characters.

Furutani Ryosuke:

Besides those, you can get new colors for your characters. You purchase capsules by earning in-game money from a variety of modes in the game. Not just battling but in any mode, so beginners can rest assured, as they'll be able to easily earn in-game money for capsules.

4Gamer:

Alright. With all these new elements revealed, I'm even more excited to play this game. By the way, can we expect tournaments as well? As an "authentic" fighting game, I believe there are many with such expectations.

Hiroki Tomoko:

We're fully aware of e-Sports, but honestly, right now we're fully focused on the game's development and haven't bothered putting effort on that yet. Besides, even if we call ourselves "e-Sports", if the players themselves don't acknowledge it there's no point anyway. That's why, before anything else, we want to concentrate in developing a game everyone can acknowledge as a competitive one.

4Gamer:

Can we expect updates that include balance changes and long-lasting support for the game?

Hiroki Tomoko:

We're thinking about supporting the game for a long time, but that's still to be determined. For now, we've got many updates and downloadable content planned already. Of course, if our game is perfectly balanced right from the start I don't think I can complain either (laughs).

4Gamer:

Understood. Lastly, can you send a message to all 4Gamer readers out there?

Mysterious Maskman No.1:

You can expect great things from Arc System Works' fighting games, as far as elements such as fun, competition and high quality are concerned. I can say with certainty that no battle systems in the game involve luck. Whoever's ready to put in the effort will be able to become a strong player in it, so please look forward to playing it.

Furutani Ryosuke:

At the same time, it's a game that I want people who aren't familiar to the genre to play. It's a game where anyone can pull off stylish moves, and everyone can have fun watching those. You can draw out a "Normal → Special → Super" combo with the repeated press of a single button, and that's probably more than fine at first. Then slowly, you can find your own combos and step up your game from there, so please look forward to it. I'm absolutely sure that everyone will be able to pull off a Kamehameha by themselves at some point (laughs).

Motomura Junya:

I want casual players to believe that fighting games can be fun as well. Through this game, I want people to enjoy the genre and learn how to play and have fun with it; I want them to learn how fun it is to learn and polish yourself further. That would make me the happiest.

Furutani Ryosuke:

If every Dragon Ball fan were to become a fighting gamer, there'd be nothing happier for the fighting game community (laughs).

Hiroki Tomoko:

That's very idealistic of you (laughs). I can say with confidence that both Dragon Ball fans and fighting game fans will be able to play and have fun with. There's no one besides ArcSys that can come up with such a highly competitive fighting game, so I want all of our players to have a lot of fun playing it.

Also, by the end of this week, we'll hold an actual tournament for this game at Jump Festa 2018. We'll also have setups for free matches, so please come by our company's booth and play with us.

4Gamer:

Yes, thank you very much for today's interview.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

The game is looking very good.

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/dragon-ball-fighterz-fourth-trailer-first-look-goku-black-beerus-hit

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

hype

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup

Raging Demon.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@PikminWorld: Dragon Ball gets a pass for being the manliest anime there is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a35ee62233ad
deactivated-5a35ee62233ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5a35ee62233ad
Member since 2017 • 11 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

and that's the saddest part.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Hokuto no Ken is.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: You are already dead

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@PikminWorld: Fight me irl.

Or on Tekken 7 some time tomorrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: omae ha mou shinderu

Sounds good, should work

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Nani!?!

*explosion*

Also Jojo is manly anime #2

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@biack_goku: Dragon Ball is as well. Hokuto No Ken, Dragon Ball, Berserk, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures are the pantheon of animated manliness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a35ee62233ad
deactivated-5a35ee62233ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5a35ee62233ad
Member since 2017 • 11 Posts

Nothing manly about watching cartoon, no matter what happens in them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup

Dragonball typically subverts expectations when it comes to the power, making characters smaller and/or more effeminate. Top of the pecking order is a 5 year old boy with possible brain damage.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

So hyped.......

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@biack_goku: Dragon Ball is as well. Hokuto No Ken, Dragon Ball, Berserk, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures are the pantheon of animated manliness.

There were also other manly anime like that in the '80s and '90s, like Trigun, Kenshin, Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, etc. But since the 2000s, manly anime has declined. Though you do get manly anime once in a while, like Gurren Lagann, Hajime no Ippo, Sword of the Stranger, and One-Punch Man.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

Day one purchase on PS4!

So hype!!!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GameboyTroy

They showed more gameplay.

Loading Video...

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GameboyTroy

Arcade mode

Loading Video...

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

First time I want a game just for the visuals.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3219 Posts

The game is looking good so far.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GameboyTroy

They showed the opening intro for the game.

Loading Video...

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

Ultra Instinct Goku and Vegeta incoming,probably Jiren too.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@GameboyTroy: Nice.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Now all they need is Jiren, Ultra Instinct Goku, and they are set so far. :P

Throw in Kefla (or separate Kale and Caulifla) as well since more awesome female reps are nice.