Battletoads - Gameplay or Slideshow?

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#1 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12942 posts) -

Can Microsoft get anything right this gen? What a mess. This will probably score even worse than Crackdown 3.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#2 Edited by lundy86_4 (53833 posts) -

Are you saying it's low fps, or are you saying it's lower frames-per-animation?

Avatar image for subspecies
#3 Edited by Subspecies (740 posts) -

This. Crackdown 3. Sea of Thieves. Lego Forza. A nonexistent Scalebound.

This is the kind of crap lems have to look forward to this gen. Sheesh.

Avatar image for Telekill
#4 Posted by Telekill (8589 posts) -

That... well...

I was excited when it was announced and even hoped that Microsoft would bring it to Switch...

But now... hype is fizzled.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#5 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12942 posts) -
@lundy86_4 said:

Are you saying it's low fps, or are you criticizing the lower frames-per-animation?

The latter. It looks so slow and boring for a beat em up.

Avatar image for Pedro
#6 Posted by Pedro (35627 posts) -

So, people was expecting what exactly for a Battletoads game?

Avatar image for BassMan
#7 Edited by BassMan (10658 posts) -

It looks like shit. Just a visual clusterfuck. Half-ass effort to revive an old franchise.

Avatar image for phbz
#8 Posted by phbz (4668 posts) -

@Pedro: 3rd person emotional storytelling.

Avatar image for vfighter
#9 Posted by VFighter (5239 posts) -

@Pedro: A good beat'um up probably? This reminds me of the new Shaq Fu, only slower. I dont even hate the art style but everything looks like its running through a cpu powered by molasses.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#10 Posted by lundy86_4 (53833 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

The latter. It looks so slow and boring for a beat em up.

I don't particularly like the game, but nothing screams "Slideshow." It seems you needed a topic, and you just went with your best option... Sadly, it sucked. You would have been better off going with the fact that animations often clutter the screen. That's a pretty big issue.

Avatar image for Pedro
#11 Posted by Pedro (35627 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@Pedro: A good beat'um up probably? This reminds me of the new Shaq Fu, only slower. I dont even hate the art style but everything looks like its running through a cpu powered by molasses.

The old one was only "good" because of the time. Any good beat'um games today?

Avatar image for watercrack445
#12 Posted by watercrack445 (1832 posts) -

Battletoads reminds me of other similar groupings like Street Sharks, Extreme Dinos and Raptor Gang.

Hope they fill the void of missed opurtunities of TMNT...

Avatar image for Ant_17
#13 Posted by Ant_17 (12883 posts) -

For real, who the hell cared for these TMNT ripoffs?

Avatar image for xantufrog
#14 Posted by xantufrog (11693 posts) -

That looks pretty arse to be frank

Avatar image for Zidaneski
#15 Posted by Zidaneski (8854 posts) -

I like the music but yeah it doesn’t capture my attention. Animations also seem to cover too much of the screen. I played the double dragon reboot and that was pretty good. But I’ll checkout streets of rage, that looks to be shaping up pretty nicely.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#16 Posted by I_P_Daily (12559 posts) -

@subspecies said:

This. Crackdown 3. Sea of Thieves. Lego Forza. A nonexistent Scalebound.

This is the kind of crap lems have to look forward to this gen. Sheesh.

For the shits and giggles i'm going to talk cow so you understand.

The "crap" Lego dlc is currently rated 2 points higher than Sony's flagship racer.

So 77 >>>>>>> 75 lol.

So what we've learned today from reduc is that GT Sport is worse than crap, and also worst than dlc LOL

TCHBO.

Avatar image for mazuiface
#17 Posted by mazuiface (931 posts) -

Slideshow is the wrong word - it is smooth with fluid sprite animations.

The problem is with the sprites themselves! Some of those sprites, especially the enemy sprites, morph so much that it is hard to tell where the hitboxes are.

Avatar image for davillain-
#18 Edited by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

After what they did to The Dark Queen's design, I was very disappointed and I can't believe they change her looks from the 90's. No 90's Dark Queen, no buy....rent however and by that, from Game Pass. Her new design looks like she's from Kim Possible.

Avatar image for subspecies
#19 Posted by Subspecies (740 posts) -

@mazuiface said:

Slideshow is the wrong word - it is smooth with fluid sprite animations.

The problem is with the sprites themselves! Some of those sprites, especially the enemy sprites, morph so much that it is hard to tell where the hitboxes are.

You're not kidding about the hitboxes. They appear to be borderline nonexistent.

Avatar image for davillain-
#20 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

Battletoads reminds me of other similar groupings like Street Sharks, Extreme Dinos and Raptor Gang.

Hope they fill the void of missed opurtunities of TMNT...

Now those cartoons were da bomb! You making me feel like a kid again :)

Avatar image for pook99
#21 Posted by pook99 (888 posts) -

This is a very disappointing trailer.

1) the pace of the game seems very slow/sluggish. It does seem like the toads have a decent number of moves but it does not seem like the gameplay is very exciting.

2) I am very worried that this game is just going to be a generic beat em up. I don't know how many of you have ever actually played the original battletoads on NES, but it was not a beat em up at all, it had fighting in it sure, and the first level played like a standard beat em up, but every other level brought something new to the table.

Battletoads was known for its level diversity and challenge, if the new game keeps that then it has potential, if it just turns out to be a generic beat em up than it will likely be dull and a huge disappointment

@Pedro: yes, there are lots of good beat em ups today, and although I may be oversimplifying a bit I would place beat em ups of today into one of 2 categories:

New School: the stuff old school beat em ups have evolved to like devil may cry, bayonetta etc

Old School: retro themed games that pay homage to the classics, stuff like Castle Crashers and mother russia bleeds

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#22 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (855 posts) -

Looks busy and idk.. "dated". Gameplay might be up to snuff though. TBH, It has a lot of the hallmarks of a game which might get overlooked for all the wrong reasons. If I was collecting games to speculate and saw a cheap copy on a shop shelf, I might pause for thought.

Either way, It will be on Game Pass I suppose. Can always try it there, low risk.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#23 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19846 posts) -

Who did Microsoft hired to make this Battletoads? It looks slow, boring, and the art design suuuuuuucks

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#24 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12942 posts) -
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Who did Microsoft hired to make this Battletoads? It looks slow, boring, and the art design suuuuuuucks

Dlala Studios

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#25 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19846 posts) -
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Who did Microsoft hired to make this Battletoads? It looks slow, boring, and the art design suuuuuuucks

Dlala Studios

If I were Phil Spencer, I'd delay the game now and move the project to another team and start over.

Avatar image for davillain-
#26 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Who did Microsoft hired to make this Battletoads? It looks slow, boring, and the art design suuuuuuucks

Well it definitely looks like it belongs on Game Pass. Not much to go by with this.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#27 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12942 posts) -
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Who did Microsoft hired to make this Battletoads? It looks slow, boring, and the art design suuuuuuucks

Dlala Studios

If I were Phil Spencer, I'd delay the game now and move the project to another team and start over.

They should. Crackdown 3 was the last game that started development during the Donnie M era. This won't be a good start for Phil if one of his first games is a total bomb.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#28 Edited by BenjaminBanklin (5026 posts) -

@subspecies said:

This. Crackdown 3. Sea of Thieves. Lego Forza. A nonexistent Scalebound.

This is the kind of crap lems have to look forward to this gen. Sheesh.

As long as Game Pass exists, they should be used to getting these kinds of games period. A bunch of low tier Steam-level games with a $500 entry fee.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#29 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12942 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@subspecies said:

This. Crackdown 3. Sea of Thieves. Lego Forza. A nonexistent Scalebound.

This is the kind of crap lems have to look forward to this gen. Sheesh.

As long as Game Pass exists, they should be used to getting these kinds of games period. A bunch of low tier Steam-level games with a $500 entry fee.

That's what I figured would happen the moment they announce GP. They didn't care about the quality of their games when they relied on $60 sales so they will care even less when they're charging $10 ($1 if you use trials like I do) a month to give people access to 100+ games.

Avatar image for subspecies
#30 Posted by Subspecies (740 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@subspecies said:

This. Crackdown 3. Sea of Thieves. Lego Forza. A nonexistent Scalebound.

This is the kind of crap lems have to look forward to this gen. Sheesh.

As long as Game Pass exists, they should be used to getting these kinds of games period. A bunch of low tier Steam-level games with a $500 entry fee.

That's what I figured would happen the moment they announce GP. They didn't care about the quality of their games when they relied on $60 sales so they will care even less when they're charging $10 ($1 if you use trials like I do) a month to give people access to 100+ games.

Lol, it's so true. You know when lems start defending legos and barebones remakes that flop right out of the gate that they've lost their minds. But that's what getting demolished all gen long does to a faction. ;)

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#31 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19846 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Who did Microsoft hired to make this Battletoads? It looks slow, boring, and the art design suuuuuuucks

Well it definitely looks like it belongs on Game Pass. Not much to go by with this.

I was hoping that it would be good like this fan-made trailer.....

Loading Video...

Avatar image for doomnukem3d
#32 Posted by DoomNukem3D (396 posts) -

@Ant_17: I do. Battletoads was fun.

Avatar image for r-gamer
#33 Posted by R-Gamer (626 posts) -

I was honestly looking forward to this but I'm not feeling the art style. It does seem a bit slow as well.

Avatar image for WitIsWisdom
#34 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5367 posts) -

I was really looking forward to this when I saw the logo teased... then we got this.. like what in the hell is this shit? Come on...

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#35 Posted by freedomfreak (51271 posts) -

Microsoft continues to push out the worst first party content I've ever experienced. It's obvious they just wanna shove shit out. No passion, no nothing. Games as a service and microtransactions. Gonna be the same next generation.

Avatar image for vfighter
#36 Posted by VFighter (5239 posts) -

@Pedro: The old one was good bexause it was well, a good game, not because of its time. Its still a good game, so that arfument of yours is down the shitter.

Any new good ones, ummm yeah. Mother Russia Bleeds, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgram, Double Dragon, etc. The genre slowed down since the 90s but its still around and kicking.

Avatar image for Pedro
#37 Posted by Pedro (35627 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@Pedro: The old one was good bexause it was well, a good game, not because of its time. Its still a good game, so that arfument of yours is down the shitter.

Any new good ones, ummm yeah. Mother Russia Bleeds, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgram, Double Dragon, etc. The genre slowed down since the 90s but its still around and kicking.

Seems like you forgot what the original looked and played like. Here is a reminder.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for cainetao11
#38 Posted by cainetao11 (36829 posts) -

@phbz said:

@Pedro: 3rd person emotional storytelling.

LOL But honestly it isn't impressive imo.

Avatar image for Pedro
#39 Posted by Pedro (35627 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:
@phbz said:

@Pedro: 3rd person emotional storytelling.

LOL But honestly it isn't impressive imo.

Its a combination of the people who are playing sucking/ game mechanics is unrefined and the gameplay type is old.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#40 Posted by Vaidream45 (2034 posts) -

Wow yeah....as a fan of the originals I can definitely say this is no bueno. Hit boxes are all screwed up and all character movement is at a snails pace! This is shaping up to be the complete death of our Toads sadly. Streets of Rage is still lookin solid though.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#41 Posted by I_P_Daily (12559 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@vfighter said:

@Pedro: The old one was good bexause it was well, a good game, not because of its time. Its still a good game, so that arfument of yours is down the shitter.

Any new good ones, ummm yeah. Mother Russia Bleeds, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgram, Double Dragon, etc. The genre slowed down since the 90s but its still around and kicking.

Seems like you forgot what the original looked and played like. Here is a reminder.

Loading Video...

Battletoads was always a shit game. People want to bash it now because MS is making a new one and want to pretend the original was a classic that MS is now butchering the Battletoads name lol.

Avatar image for bluestars
#42 Posted by Bluestars (229 posts) -

Scores HaH

What if it outscores Sony’s last two AAA exclusives days gone(5/10) and judgment(7/10)?

One system/one brain cell fanboys who need telling if a game is good or not

Avatar image for doomnukem3d
#43 Posted by DoomNukem3D (396 posts) -

@Pedro: Plays and looks fine. Not a perfect game. Difficulty is unbalanced. Fun though.

Avatar image for vfighter
#44 Posted by VFighter (5239 posts) -

@Pedro: And your point? The games a classic and for good reason, because its good. Its only real downside is the difficulty later in the game, but that can be said about lots of games from that time period.

Avatar image for vfighter
#45 Posted by VFighter (5239 posts) -

@i_p_daily: That's a interesting spin I'll give you that.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#46 Posted by I_P_Daily (12559 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: That's a interesting spin I'll give you that.

I can see it now, when it scores shit and it will because it is a shit game based off of a shit game. Cows will be screaming that MS has ruined the Battletoads franchise lol.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#47 Posted by sakaiXx (6064 posts) -

Its probably gonna go to switch someday ??

Avatar image for davillain-
#48 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@Pedro said:
@vfighter said:

@Pedro: The old one was good bexause it was well, a good game, not because of its time. Its still a good game, so that arfument of yours is down the shitter.

Any new good ones, ummm yeah. Mother Russia Bleeds, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgram, Double Dragon, etc. The genre slowed down since the 90s but its still around and kicking.

Seems like you forgot what the original looked and played like. Here is a reminder.

Loading Video...

Battletoads was always a shit game. People want to bash it now because MS is making a new one and want to pretend the original was a classic that MS is now butchering the Battletoads name lol.

A shit game? Are you high or what? Battletoads was legendary, it was an awesome game I enjoy back on SNES but never played the Arcade version.....until now thanks to Rare Replay. I grew up with Battletoads when it was in it's prime, had a cartoon series and it's known for it's hardest game of it's time.

Avatar image for m_machine024
#49 Posted by m_machine024 (15874 posts) -

If only it had the same character speed and mvt as the first game, it'd be much better. I love the animations but it looks so slow... they can't even run....

Avatar image for pook99
#50 Posted by pook99 (888 posts) -

The NES battletoads is a classic, that point is not debatable and anyone trying to say otherwise is just factually wrong.

You can personally not enjoy the game but pretending that it is not one of the most iconic games of its day is just rewriting history.

And yes, the game holds up extremely well, it is very fast paced, has probably the best level variety of any game ever made, tight controls, and is extremely challenging. It is one of the most unique games ever made, which is why this trailer is so disappointing because it seems that this game is just going to be a slow generic beat em up.

I know the arcade game was a generic beat em up, and maybe thats what this game draws its inspiration from, but I think when the it was revealed that we were getting a new game the vast majority of us were hoping for a game that played like the nes version, which is what most people think of when they hear battletoads.