Battlefield Hardline Beta Impressions - Not Good...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (976 posts) -

Well it looks like EA is officially trying to destroy the Battlefield franchise and make it compete with Call of Duty as much as possible. I was surprised with how quickly Battlefield 4 came out after Battlefield 3, but even more surprised to here about Hardline coming out a year later (the first time this has ever happened with the Battlefield Franchise and BF4 is still broken).

Battlefield Hardline in a nutshell is just a cops and robbers mod of BF3/BF4. I can't believe EA will be charging full price for this game (actually I can).The game looks and plays identically to those games but is on a smaller scale and not as fun, has no noticeable improvements in terms of perks or overall gameplay, and you level up quicker than in Call of Duty. I got to level 3 after my first match and had 8 kills and 10 deaths. Battlefield has always been hard to level up in but definitely is not in Hardline.

It's sad to see consoles destroying what was such a great shooter. I know it's not consoles fault completely, but we wouldn't be seeing a new rendition every year if it was still a PC exclusive. Battlefield 1942 was amazing as was Battlefield 2. There was a large gap in when those games were released, as was the case with BF2 and BF3 (the true successor to BF2, I'm not counting the Bad Company spin-offs). All three of those games were significantly different than one another and represented major changes in gaming each time they are released. Now it's just turning into the same recycled crap year in and year out.

Hardline will bomb when in comes out. I see CoD: Advanced Warfighter destroying it honestly and I haven't been a CoD fan since Modern Warfare 1. At least Advanced Warfighter is finally changing their formula somewhat, which unfortunately can't be said for Battlefield this year.

#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

But theres atleast alil split screen right ?

#3 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

Hardline should be BF4 DLC at most.

#4 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2466 posts) -

This theory that console destroy franchise make no sense since bad company was best Battlefield for long time and made for console.

#5 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

Yeah, it's not getting a lot of love on the interwebs atm. gg EA

#6 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Buy Destiny instead of this garbage

#7 Posted by foxhound_fox (96571 posts) -

I'm in the Beta.

I'm currently installing Battlefield 2 (my ancient copy from 2005) after finding BF3 and HL disappointing.

Apparently patch 1.50 adds all the DLC content and removes the cd-check. Makes me wonder if there is an online community still or not.

#8 Posted by Bruin1986 (1629 posts) -

@SuddenlyTragic said:

Well it looks like EA is officially trying to destroy the Battlefield franchise and make it compete with Call of Duty as much as possible. I was surprised with how quickly Battlefield 4 came out after Battlefield 3, but even more surprised to here about Hardline coming out a year later (the first time this has ever happened with the Battlefield Franchise and BF4 is still broken).

Battlefield Hardline in a nutshell is just a cops and robbers mod of BF3/BF4. I can't believe EA will be charging full price for this game (actually I can).The game looks and plays identically to those games but is on a smaller scale and not as fun, has no noticeable improvements in terms of perks or overall gameplay, and you level up quicker than in Call of Duty. I got to level 3 after my first match and had 8 kills and 10 deaths. Battlefield has always been hard to level up in but definitely is not in Hardline.

It's sad to see consoles destroying what was such a great shooter. I know it's not consoles fault completely, but we wouldn't be seeing a new rendition every year if it was still a PC exclusive. Battlefield 1942 was amazing as was Battlefield 2. There was a large gap in when those games were released, as was the case with BF2 and BF3 (the true successor to BF2, I'm not counting the Bad Company spin-offs). All three of those games were significantly different than one another and represented major changes in gaming each time they are released. Now it's just turning into the same recycled crap year in and year out.

Hardline will bomb when in comes out. I see CoD: Advanced Warfighter destroying it honestly and I haven't been a CoD fan since Modern Warfare 1. At least Advanced Warfighter is finally changing their formula somewhat, which unfortunately can't be said for Battlefield this year.

EA deciding they want to create games more quickly has nothing to do with consoles.

It has to do with trying to make more money with lower development costs.

There are PC developers who release games quickly as well.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
#9 Posted by slimdogmilionar (967 posts) -

@melonfarmerz: Exactly I have the beta and it just feels like an expansion of BF4. IMO Battlefield Vietnam Dlc was a better deal.

#10 Posted by blangenakker (3240 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: You might want to check with the community to see if there is a server program you need to install. BF2 used Gamespy which was closed down.

#11 Edited by foxhound_fox (96571 posts) -

@blangenakker said:

@foxhound_fox: You might want to check with the community to see if there is a server program you need to install. BF2 used Gamespy which was closed down.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-reality/news/prbf2-and-gamespy

The Project Reality team is keeping it alive. This is excellent news.

And Forgotten Hope 2 is still alive. Jesus PC games have long life spans.

EDIT: I finally got all the updates installed (to 1.50) and logged in to find that my old account is still active on their account server (the MP servers are gone, but the accounts are still logged). I haven't played a game since mid 2007.

MOTHER OF GOD.

#12 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9703 posts) -

3 games and I uninstalled it... ***Shivers***

#13 Posted by with_teeth26 (8233 posts) -

Its bad, essentially a reskin of BF3 and 4 but with all the fun vehicles removed. Feels like a pretty blatant cash grab from the heist hype of GTA V and Payday 2. The series is in a pretty extreme tailspin at this point. I felt like an idiot for buying BF4, not making the same mistake with this one.

#14 Posted by topgunmv (10743 posts) -

I have hopes for the singleplayer.

#15 Posted by The_Stand_In (858 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

My thoughts as well. I played it and and some fun, but quickly got bored and wanted to go back to BF4. Granted it's coming with a SP campaign, but as a whole package it should really be a $29.99 game at most as the MP is basically a BF4 mod.

#16 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

whoever at ea thought hardline was a good idea needs to be smote

#17 Posted by foxhound_fox (96571 posts) -

Just a note to anyone interested, BF2 online is still apparently running (probably not the Gamespy master servers of course) but I just joined a game through the main server browser and there are tons of people still playing. Like... thousands. A lot on foreign servers, but still. The game is 9 years old.

#18 Posted by Basinboy (13065 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

#19 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

I was hoping it would be good. The military theme is so over-used today so this seemed like a good idea to do something different.

#20 Edited by kuu2 (10169 posts) -

Suckers are anyone that buys this trash. BF4 is still a broken game.

#21 Posted by finalstar2007 (27906 posts) -

Eh the only impressive FPS this year is Destiny to me, im really excited for that game and slightly for Advanced Warfare

#22 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (1475 posts) -

Played the Hardline Beta for about an hour. It was deleted shortly after. It really is a stinker of a game. Save your money for Destiny or something else.

#23 Posted by blangenakker (3240 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Just a note to anyone interested, BF2 online is still apparently running (probably not the Gamespy master servers of course) but I just joined a game through the main server browser and there are tons of people still playing. Like... thousands. A lot on foreign servers, but still. The game is 9 years old.

Good to know, I might install it again.

#24 Edited by R4gn4r0k (26870 posts) -

Dice: "Annualizing BF would kill the franchise"

Yup, the franchise is dead to me now. BF4 will be my last one, but I might go back if they do another Vietnam or WW2 game.

@finalstar2007 said:

Eh the only impressive FPS this year is Destiny to me, im really excited for that game and slightly for Advanced Warfare

For me it's Wolfenstein: The New Order, but then again I've always preferred singleplayer shooters :p

#25 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2782 posts) -

BF as a series hasn't been good since BFBC 2! BF3 and 4 are complete garbage outside of the nice looking visuals. On the gameplay side, CoD blows it away as far as the fun factor goes. DICE needs to understand that gigantic maps aren't always fun! My FPS money will be going towards Destiny, Evolve, Halo The Master Chief Collection and CoD Advanced Warfare. BF Hardline??? No Thanks!!!

#26 Posted by MBirdy88 (12070 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

This theory that console destroy franchise make no sense since bad company was best Battlefield for long time and made for console.

no... battlefield 2 is considered the all time best.... bad company 2 just was suprisingly good.

#27 Edited by KungfuKitten (24441 posts) -

I enjoyed it.

Handling of cars/bikes has improved. Leaning out of vehicles is cool.
The gadgets are all fun. Gas grenades are super useful. The riot shield adds very welcome variety.
You can essentially block off a hallway with both.
Lasermines are very versatile and fun.
The zip lines are a little clunky and the grappling hook a little too fiddly so you will probably get killed every time you want to use it.
Interrogating people is a great idea. The pay-off is good, and it's very situational.
Being able to take ammo and health from your teammates is great.
The game modes are not spectacularly different but they are fun.
The netcode seems better than BF4 was. But I think they updated BF4 netcode too.
They can definitely improve on destructibility and the reputation system is not very smooth.
Some perks are just inapplicable unless I didn't get it? Either way I'd like them to play a slightly bigger role in every match.
The RPG seems to do a little too little against vehicles?

Sorry guys, I had more fun playing this beta than playing BF4 beta.

#28 Posted by scatteh316 (6902 posts) -

I think it's great, hit detection and actual gun fights are much much improved and thanks to the much improved hit registration I enjoy 1 vs 1 much more.

#29 Posted by R4gn4r0k (26870 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

no... battlefield 2 is considered the all time best.... bad company 2 just was suprisingly good.

I'll always consider BF1942 the best, it was just so fresh back then to have a bunch of people be infantry, some driving a tank, some in planes and even somebody in an aircraft carrier XD

Sure, BF2 added a lot of improvements but I'll always prefer the historic settings more (like BC2: Vietnam)

The only thing that stood out in Bad Company 1 were the singleplayer and the destruction. Multiplayer was nowhere near the best of what the BF has to offer.

#30 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

Yea I tried the BF Hardline Beta it was fun but most certainly not worth the 60 bucks EA wants me to shell out for it that's so greedy and disgusting. And EA should be giving us this game for free after the fucking shit storm that was BF4. Bought that game on launch with my PS4 and so many issues, server issues, loading issues, lost XP it was a fucking mess, and took them almost 2 months to fix! Sorry EA will not be buying hardline either make this DLC or give it to us free as a means of making up for your shit service and support!

#31 Posted by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said: