Battlefield 4: the Digital Foundry verdict

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

Battlefield 4: the Digital Foundry verdict

In all, it's our first chance to see Battlefield 4's multiplayer mode in action on Xbox One, and to witness either version of the game running on final retail hardware. On the visual side, HBAO is indeed added to the Xbox One version, as promised by DICE following its omission in the Stockholm build. However, the divide in internal resolution - which remains at 900p on PS4 compared to the straight 720p on Xbox One - is the big sticking point, even with the removal of the Xbox version's sharpening filter which amplified the aliasing. Put simply, the assets and effects are identical for each next-gen platform, but the added pixel definition on PS4 spares it from the distracting edge-crawl on thin objects that proves to be an issue on the Microsoft side.

Elbowing into the tussle is, as always, the PC version with its higher-grade particle and alpha effects, superior object draw distance and more refined shadow detailing at ultra settings. But it must be commended just how much of this maxed-out experience translates to next-gen platforms.The textures on PS4 and Xbox One are equal to the PC's highest, and water shaders carry over as-is, where the current-gen versions really show us the plain, pared-back alternative. It's a very solid effort in this sense, and can only get better as DICE's understanding of the hardware grows.

The PS4's strong performance lead is the real clincher though; a wide 10fps margin flaring up for most of our campaign mode tests. The comedown hits, however, once you realise that neither platform can pull off a straight 60fps during the larger Conquest multiplayer maps, where most of the fun is to be had. Regardless, a clear-as-day recommendation still goes to the PS4 version, and while there are glitches on both consoles that need to be addressed, the embracing of seamless, behind-the-scenes updates should at least ease some of Battlefield 4's growing pains.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Basically confirms: game was rushed to get to so many platforms at once.

Avatar image for trentonspliff80
trentonspliff80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 trentonspliff80
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts

Basically confirms: runs better on PS4 than XB1. Nice to have digital foundry around to compare the multiplats so I can get the best looking console version. Still strange to be buying multiplats on a Sony console though, as it was 360 pretty much all of last gen.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Just seen the video. The graphs make the dips seem far worse than they are. I would be happy with either version really. It amuses me that this game looks so much better than CoD Ghosts yet runs quite a lot better on the whole across most platforms.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

We already know that the PS4 version had a very steady 60fps, while the X1 can reach 60fs, its doesnt stay there for long.

Im just wondering, since this is the single player, with the scrpted events and all, how would the FPS handle in MP?

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

Still remember Lems posting side by sides thinking their X1 version would be superior lolol

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

ps4 wins yet again the by gamers for gamers philosophy in full swing and with this...

TLHBO

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

See Sig.

↓↓↓↓

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

Still remember Lems posting side by sides thinking their X1 version would be superior lolol

I wish these fucking mods would do something about you alt. accounts. Jesus this forum has became the biggest piece of shit on the web. No wonder hardly come here anymore.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

But PRT,Jit compression,alpha blending 204GB/s ESRAM..but but but but..

10 FPS less while been 720p..

So i was spot one,once Ambient Occlusion was turn on the xbox one version dropped from 3 to 4 FPS slower to 10 FPS slower.

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead

I wonder where are all those who argue me about this,i told you so once AO is deliver the xbox one version would run even slower,but 10 FPS while having 50% less pixels is a great blow.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

Hmmm, quiet thread

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

PS4 has over a 600,000 pixel advantage and 10fps....XBONED!

XboxFails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XboxFails
Member since 2013 • 239 Posts

Once again, SONY delivers an amazing console that lets us experience the exclusive 900p feature along with a framerate advantage all for an unbeatable price of $400.

SONY truly does care about us gamers. SONY is the one company that places its customers before profit. It's a dream come true for us gamers.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

Weren't people bragging about the 3fps lead COD had on Xbox One over PS4 (Despite running at 2.25x less the resolution)?

Yet BF4 has a constant 10fps lead on the PS4 and everyone stays silent.

XboxFails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XboxFails
Member since 2013 • 239 Posts

@majesticshea said:

Weren't people bragging about the 3fps lead COD had on Xbox One over PS4 (Despite running at 2.25x less the resolution)?

Xboners are blatant hypocrites.

They cherry pick whatever data and facts suit their argument. We cows are of another class. We have honor and honesty and consistency. Just take a look at how the lems are acting.

50p advantage on the 360 - "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... PS3 SUCKS!!!"

360p advantage on the PS4 - "Resolution doesn't matter!!!"

2 FPS lead on the 360 - "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... XBOX R0CKS!!!"

10 FPS lead on the PS4 - "FPS DOESN'T MATTER!!!"

The gap between the PS4 and the Xbone is far greater than the difference between the 360 and PS3. It's painfully obvious, yet lems are going to say the difference is nonexistent.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

People said there would be a noticeable gap from the get go. I guess this is where it starts. When the PS4 starts using GPGPU more and more the gap will only get greater.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

neither dropped below 40 which is good. Neither were a rock solid 60 but no one should have been expecting that.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

The PS4 fared better than I thought, but the issues that both versions suffer from shows that the game needed more work across the board.

whatsazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 whatsazerg
Member since 2009 • 1151 Posts

@trentonspliff80 said:

Basically confirms: runs better on PS4 than XB1. Nice to have digital foundry around to compare the multiplats so I can get the best looking console version. Still strange to be buying multiplats on a Sony console though, as it was 360 pretty much all of last gen.

Same... except I didn't need DF to tell me what I knew the outcome would be. Superior on PS4. It's going to be a LONG, HARD gen. for the Lems.

whatsazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whatsazerg
Member since 2009 • 1151 Posts

#

@XboxFails said:

@majesticshea said:

They cherry pick whatever data and facts suit their argument. We cows are of another class. We have honor and honesty and consistency. Just take a look at how the lems are acting.

The gap between the PS4 and the Xbone is far greater than the difference between the 360 and PS3. It's painfully obvious, yet lems are going to say the difference is nonexistent.

2 points... #1 Cows do it too.

#2 Maybe, just maybe the ones who claimed ownage about 50p resolution difference aren't the same ones claiming resolution doesn't matter?

Don't be a cow.... be a Xbox hater, sure, fine... I am. But I don't need to be a Sony fanboy to hate on Xbox. PC, PS4, Wii U FTW!!!!

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#23  Edited By Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@danabo: Never drops below 50 during gameplay on ps4 and mostly stays at 60 or near.. On XBO it drops below 50 alot during gameplay. The only time xbo had an advantage was during 1 cutscene and only by 2 fps... and during a cutscene doesn't matter. It was during gamplay where the xbo was 10fps less,,, and xbo was at half the resolution..lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

Ps4 having higher fps in campaign? While also enjoying a noticeably high resolution then XB1? "Bu bu you cant look at paper specs... The esram, the 15 co processors inside!!!!" Both are GCN and have the same jaguar cores. Ps4 employs a stronger GPU along with a better memory setup.. I was expecting and known months ago ps4 would alwaya have a advantage.. Lemmings were so blinded though . $500 to play games in 720p? As far as it concerns me and many people, the Ps4 is a better gaming device. Period.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

People said there would be a noticeable gap from the get go. I guess this is where it starts. When the PS4 starts using GPGPU more and more the gap will only get greater.

@XboxFails said:

@majesticshea said:

This. The thread is also too quiet as picked up on by a few commenters already because lems around the world viewing this thread have run off to dismantle the XBone to feverishly seek out the hidden dGPU that was supposed to make the XB1 a powerful 5tf machine that Sony couldn't help to beat. Some tears will be shed also because that whole cry out in desperation of "Microsoft is too rich, they won't let them have a more powerful console, Sony is bankrupt and cannot compete in specs" never really worked out for them :/

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Midnightshade29

@whatsazerg said:

#

@XboxFails said:

@majesticshea said:

2 points... #1 Cows do it too.

#2 Maybe, just maybe the ones who claimed ownage about 50p resolution difference aren't the same ones claiming resolution doesn't matter?

Don't be a cow.... be a Xbox hater, sure, fine... I am. But I don't need to be a Sony fanboy to hate on Xbox. PC, PS4, Wii U FTW!!!!

my thoughts excatly. Lems were whining all last gen about 50 pixel advantage on 360 yet now it doesnt matter... fn hypocrites all of them!!!

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Midnightshade29

@2mrw said:

The PS4 fared better than I thought, but the issues that both versions suffer from shows that the game needed more work across the board.

what issues, besides the server stuff? The graphics and fluidity of fps looks great (on the ps4)....

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

The ps4 looks better, and performs better. Expected but you can have a great experience with either version. Cod on the other hand... It's to need to swallow the silver bullet

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

Dice is working on a Cloud fix that will enable 1080p and steady 60fps.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

I knew this would be the case as soon as the X1 GPU specs were revealed. I even gave the benefit of the doubt to the ESRAM and made the assumption in my comparisons that it would be working at 100% which I knew would not be the case but if I did not do that then Ron would have had an even bigger cry about those comparisons. I always said the advantage would be 40-50% and in reality that gap is closer to 70%+.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@btk2k2 said:

I knew this would be the case as soon as the X1 GPU specs were revealed. I even gave the benefit of the doubt to the ESRAM and made the assumption in my comparisons that it would be working at 100% which I knew would not be the case but if I did not do that then Ron would have had an even bigger cry about those comparisons. I always said the advantage would be 40-50% and in reality that gap is closer to 70%+.

BF4 is mostly CU bounded game and GCN will 12 CUs will not exceed GCN with 16 or 18 CUs.

W5000 (12 CU Pitcairn) is already at around 32 fps at 1080p Crysis 2 max details and if the target frame rate was 60 fps, the resolution has to be reduced i.e. looking at 1280x720p for 60 fps target.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts

werent lemmings bragging about the ign comparison saying b4 ran smoother on xbone???

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos said:

But PRT,Jit compression,alpha blending 204GB/s ESRAM..but but but but..

10 FPS less while been 720p..

So i was spot one,once Ambient Occlusion was turn on the xbox one version dropped from 3 to 4 FPS slower to 10 FPS slower.

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead

I wonder where are all those who argue me about this,i told you so once AO is deliver the xbox one version would run even slower,but 10 FPS while having 50% less pixels is a great blow.

Any PC GPU that has about ~30 fps at 1920x1080p with Crysis 2 or BF4 at max details would need to run at 1280x720p for 60 fps.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

ps4 wins yet again the by gamers for gamers philosophy in full swing and with this...

TLHBO

Indeed. And here xbots where saying otherwise.

Shit Storm is brewing with these mulit plats performing and looking better on PS4, aint that right @kingoflife9

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

@fishsticklover said:

@timbers_WSU said:

@fishsticklover said:

I wish these fucking mods would do something about you alt. accounts. Jesus this forum has became the biggest piece of shit on the web. No wonder hardly come here anymore.

No need to act all butthurt, i'm just stating the facts, Lems always get owned in the end, you should know this by now

Ask your Mother if she is butthurt.

Listen you little fairy. I have already put in at least 30 hours of playtime on my XB1. What have you done with your PS4? What? You don't have one? Big surprise there.

Hint: The PS4 is not worth having right now. I should know.....I had one unlike your forum dwelling ass.

hahaha the ownage is getting too much for some lems

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Who cares about this... Bf4 still plays like it's in alpha

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Akakakaka Lems are in full meltdown, wonderful ^_^

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Poor lems. While I do find their denial/general misery extraordinarily amusing, all in all I think you'll be fine playing this on either console. I personally chose the PC version. Ya know, the best one. I was thinking about getting this for my PS4, but 1.) it's still shipping to me and 2.) I want 60 FPS all the time AND the best looking version.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Xboxers like shimmering:

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

@Bazooka_4ME said:

werent lemmings bragging about the ign comparison saying b4 ran smoother on xbone???

It plays better on The One due to actually being able to play the full game online. Sony Fan does get the version with terrible netcode and the inability to actually play conquest with 64 people.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

'clear as day recommendation to the ps4'

well done.

they hardly trashed the xbox one version, though. honestly, i don't think it's a case of one console being gimped and the other console being awesome.

i think about it more like a formula one racing team. you've got two top drivers in your team, they're very close. but - one has the edge over the other. And despite it being a shitty film it's true "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch, or a mile".

wii u is still racing but i'm not sure about formula one.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

@fishsticklover said:

@timbers_WSU said:

@fishsticklover said:

No need to act all butthurt, i'm just stating the facts, Lems always get owned in the end, you should know this by now

Ask your Mother if she is butthurt.

Listen you little fairy. I have already put in at least 30 hours of playtime on my XB1. What have you done with your PS4? What? You don't have one? Big surprise there.

Hint: The PS4 is not worth having right now. I should know.....I had one unlike your forum dwelling ass.

Poor Timbers, he is so insanely butthurt (as Always) that the PS4 is whooping X1's ass this gen with ease LOL

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

TLHBO lol. Not only does the PS4 version look better it also runs better lol.

'b..bu..bu...but teh ESRAM will ensure parity!"

"b..bu..bu..but teh Xbawcks has crisper texturez!"

Darth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Darth1337
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

@ZoomZoom2490 said:

Dice is working on a Cloud fix that will enable 1080p and steady 60fps.

dat secret cloud sauce

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Bazooka_4ME said:

It plays better on The One due to actually being able to play the full game online. Sony Fan does get the version with terrible netcode and the inability to actually play conquest with 64 people.

The PS4 version works fine now. It had problems in the beginning, like all versions.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@Zoso813 said:

@kuu2 said:

@Bazooka_4ME said:

The PS4 version works fine now. It had problems in the beginning, like all versions.

LOL I just played a 64 player game of conquest on the PS4 ran more than beautifully!

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5844 Posts

The resolution difference is what I'd expect ps4 to Xbox One either 720p vs 900p or 900p vs 1080p, in real world gaming it really isn't that big of a difference. The frame rate difference is disappointing but this will become less as they get to grips with the more complex setup.

I have an Xbox One for the exclusive games and experience's, if you where choosing just for multiplats and graphics the decision should be PC. There is still no reason to own a PS4 as the exclusives now and in 2014 baring one potentially good retail game are simply pathetic. PC for multiplats and Xbox One for the exclusive experiances and services (not to mention the fitness for the wife and Kinect for the kids).

Congrats on the numbers (fps and pixels) but the PS4 still doesn't do anything best in the next gen arena (PC, PS4, Xbox One and Wii U).

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@xboxiphoneps3 said:

Ps4 having higher fps in campaign? While also enjoying a noticeably high resolution then XB1? "Bu bu you cant look at paper specs... The esram, the 15 co processors inside!!!!" Both are GCN and have the same jaguar cores. Ps4 employs a stronger GPU along with a better memory setup.. I was expecting and known months ago ps4 would alwaya have a advantage.. Lemmings were so blinded though . $500 to play games in 720p? As far as it concerns me and many people, the Ps4 is a better gaming device. Period.

Not only this is a huge own for lemmings like Stormy Joe,Blackace which are not where to be found today,but also some hermits that love to defend the xbox one,also get own i knew a certain few who claimed for months that the difference would be minimal 2 or 3 frames... lol

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Glad to see the XB1 at least got HBAO. I can't believe how disgusting the XB1 footage was looking without it. Playing BF4 on my PS4, I think I'd be hard pressed to spot much of a difference in graphics had I bought it on the PC. It looks and runs amazing on the PS4.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

@psymon100 said:

'clear as day recommendation to the ps4'

well done.

they hardly trashed the xbox one version, though. honestly, i don't think it's a case of one console being gimped and the other console being awesome.

i think about it more like a formula one racing team. you've got two top drivers in your team, they're very close. but - one has the edge over the other. And despite it being a shitty film it's true "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch, or a mile".

wii u is still racing but i'm not sure about formula one.

Stunning win for SONY and the PS4. I expect more of the same with other big multi plats.