Battlefield 2 is still the best in the series

#1 Edited by warmblur (2794 posts) -

Battlefield 2 is still the best in the series it didn't hold your hand health didn't regenerate there wasn't any worthless weapon unlock attachments every weapon unlock felt special and took weeks to unlock there was no grenade indicators. You could only spawn on your squad leader not all of them. Vehicles had purpose and actually felt like they had weight to them. It has the best maps of any BF games easily Strike at Karkand, Dragon Valley, Sharqi Peninsula, Dalian Plant ect... teamwork was actually fun and felt fluid if you had a good squad. There was strategy involved on what flags to capture first having a great Commander meant alot to your team. Battlefield 2 is the magnum Opus of the Battlefield series.

PS. Bad Company 2 was great fun but..... it was for casuals mostly that came from the COD series. Battlefield 2 was the last legit BF game and 2142 that took skill and wasn't COD clones. It's a tragedy what happen to the Battlefield series.

#2 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25456 posts) -

K, have fun in nostalgia land.

Loading Video...

#3 Posted by warmblur (2794 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

K, have fun in nostalgia land.

Loading Video...

I killed Dolphin divers!!! lol they didn't ruined the game for me just a minor annoyance and fun to kill.

#4 Posted by VFighter (5118 posts) -

BF1 for me.

#5 Posted by AJStyles (1023 posts) -

Bad Company 2 was the best because it had the best characters and story where I actually cared about the guys.

It felt more real than any of the newer games.

I like war stories where the people in them actually talk and act like normal humans. Even in the worst wars, you still have men cracking jokes, telling each other they banged their moms with a sprinkle of friend to friend casual racism(used in good fun).

I can’t remember anything from the new battlefields stories or characters. So forgetable.

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (34354 posts) -

This was immersive and stylish, always found Battlefield 2 somewhat sterile even though gameplay wise it was better.

Loading Video...

#7 Posted by sealionact (4079 posts) -

I had so much fun with bf2 because there was nothing like it at the time...

...it's unplayable now. Visually it's aged badly, and there's been so much progress in gameplay since then.

Bf5 has brilliant gunplay, the best of the series....the biggest maps with the most detail, and I'm as happy with it now as I was with bf2 then....

#8 Edited by R4gn4r0k (31446 posts) -

Been playing since the BF1942 wake island demo and though that game was mindblowing, I consider Battlefield 1 and V the best in the series.

Simply because of the Operations and Frontlines gamemodes, they make you feel like you are fighting an actual battle, fighting over heavily contested ground. It makes the teamplay truly shine because you will need a competent team to win, and it's not about solo actions like in COD, though doing good in individual actions can turn the tide of battle. Teamplay is necessary to win, but individual actions can feel very rewarding.

I think Bad Company 2 is pretty overhyped. It had Rush mode and great destruction but that was it. The Vietnam expansion was really good though and a big middle finger to CODs expensive mappacks. 15 bucks for new maps, armies, setting, vehicles, weapons > 15 bucks for a handful of tiny maps.

#9 Posted by SaltSlasher (1237 posts) -

BF2 was my jam. Was in a clan and everything.

#10 Posted by warmblur (2794 posts) -

@sealionact said:

I had so much fun with bf2 because there was nothing like it at the time...

...it's unplayable now. Visually it's aged badly, and there's been so much progress in gameplay since then.

Bf5 has brilliant gunplay, the best of the series....the biggest maps with the most detail, and I'm as happy with it now as I was with bf2 then....

You can still play it thanks to modders but there isn't many great servers mostly just 24/7 wake island and Karkand. And as far as the graphics go yeah it has aged but I would still rather play BF2 then BFV graphics are the least important when it comes to MP games. Battlefield 2 still has better gameplay as for the newer BF games to me they feel like shallow COD clones BF is way to arcadey now it has turned into a run and gun shooter.

#11 Edited by pelvist (7426 posts) -

I enjoyed 1942 and played it a lot but I could never really get into BF2. I didn't like any of the games after BF2 though and the Bad Company series may as well be COD.

#12 Posted by Litchie (24134 posts) -

I loved BF2 and 2142. BC2 was pretty cool as well. I've played BF3, BF4 and BF1 (2016) and didn't really like any of them. Haven't bothered with BF5 and probably never will. Looks meh.

#13 Posted by ermacness (8132 posts) -

@warmblur:

Well typically you can "run n gun" in just about every fps out there, the thing is: how far will it get you, and in bf case, not very far at all.

#14 Posted by pyro1245 (5153 posts) -

BF1942 was my favorite. You could pilot the Destroyers and Air Craft Carriers!!!

I really liked the Desert Combat mod, made by Dice before they got bought by EA.

BF2 was the last one I played a lot of. I played Bad Company 2 and BF3 a bit as well.

#15 Edited by with_teeth26 (9592 posts) -

I had the most fun with the BF series with BF2, 2142 and Bad Company 2.

I suspect if i'd played the newer BF games when I was that age/at that stage of my gaming career (or whatever you call it) I'd say the same thing about them.

I just find the newer BF games too chaotic and frustrating for the most part. still played a lot of BF3/4/1 (around 100 hours of playtime each). A lot of that playtime I was very angry and not having a good time. I'm pretty decent at these games and usually maintain a good K/D ratio and all that I just found playing them infuriates me to a unreasonable degree and puts me in a awful mood unless I do exceptionally well.

BFV I did have fun with for a while and put about 50 hours into it near launch, but I haven't been able to get back into it. none of my friends play it anymore and I don't find it at all enjoyable solo/playing with random squads. the pacific expansion might bring me back in but i'm just not sure the gameplay can hold my interest unless some friends also get back in.

I'm not sure I'd call myself a BF fan anymore.

#16 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

I for one love Bad Company back in da day, but even I find BF4 enjoyable the most. BF1 was lackluster and while BFV improeves everything from BF1 but I got really bored with it and ever look back. At this point EA, give me Bad Company 3 or don't bother at all making BF6.

I'm going back to BF4 soon.

#17 Edited by Renegade_Fury (20633 posts) -

I think it was. I'm sure it's aged horribly, but I used to have a lot of fun playing BF2. 1942 and 2142 were great as well.

#18 Edited by BassMan (10559 posts) -

BF2 had the most depth to the gameplay. The whole commander system with the ability to coordinate and support all the squads was great. Also, the commander assets (UAV, Artillery, etc.) had to be protected/destroyed/repaired and it influenced the battle. There was a reason to protect control points other than there being a flag there. You had to take control of places like the airfield and protect the planes. Others could come and jack your planes or sabotage them with C4. You didn't just magically spawn into planes in the air. I think all the different tasks and objectives people had back then also made the game less chaotic. Now there are so many random/cheap deaths because of all the concentrated battles and choke points. Too many snipers and campers.

There was also a lot more team work in general back then. People would use the transport helicopters and pick you up and drop you off. It was great fun. I wish they could implement the design elements/mechanics of BF2 with the refined gunplay and graphics of the modern games. Also, a more elaborate pinging system like Apex Legends would be welcome.

#19 Edited by warmblur (2794 posts) -

@BassMan said:

BF2 had the most depth to the gameplay. The whole commander system with the ability to coordinate and support all the squads was great. Also, the commander assets (UAV, Artillery, etc.) had to be protected/destroyed/repaired and it influenced the battle. There was a reason to protect control points other than there being a flag there. You had to take control of places like the airfield and protect the planes. Others could come and jack your planes or sabotage them with C4. You didn't just magically spawn into planes in the air. I think all the different tasks and objectives people had back then also made the game less chaotic. Now there are so many random/cheap deaths because of all the concentrated battles and choke points. Too many snipers and campers.

There was also a lot more team work in general back then. People would use the transport helicopters and pick you up and drop you off. It was great fun. I wish they could implement the design elements/mechanics of BF2 with the refined gunplay and graphics of the modern games. Also, a more elaborate pinging system like Apex Legends would be welcome.

So many great things you mentioned BF2 gameplay had so much layers of strategy that is not found into today's BF games. It's really disappointing how dumbed down the series has become COD influence ruined the series it's such a damn shame.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (34354 posts) -

There's something to be said for streamlined games as well. The older Battlefield titles were devoid of clutter.

#21 Posted by dimebag667 (1261 posts) -

I really liked BF1943, but they didn't even bother to support it after release.

I also really enjoyed 3 but I fell off after that.

#22 Posted by p3anut (6304 posts) -

BF3 is still the best Battlefield game.

#23 Posted by brimmul777 (4115 posts) -

I liked Battlefield V the best,followed by BF4, BF3, then Battlefield 1.