Battlefield 1942 still the best FPS ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S3CR3T_SPY2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 S3CR3T_SPY2
Member since 2008 • 364 Posts

Man...I was just thinking about that game and i fell like installing it and playing. It had modern war mods and it's 5 times better than BF:Bad Company.

When i first started playing i was LMAO trying vehicules in a FPS for the first time. God that game was awsome. The maps were just so much fun. All of them!

I also played UT2004 ( Second best FPS ever ) The racing missions mod were so awsome!I hoped that UT3 would grow as much but it didn't!

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

one of the best. i love that game

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

BF2, was pretty good as well, cept the jets got too overpowering and needed nerfs

Strike at Karkand has so many good memories.

S3CR3T_SPY2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 S3CR3T_SPY2

thespywholied
Yeah...So many funny moments too like seing planes crash on someone. Battleships were impressive as well. They sure butchered that franchise. What a shame!
ANeuralPathway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANeuralPathway
Member since 2008 • 580 Posts
[QUOTE="thespywholied"]

S3CR3T_SPY2

Yeah...So many funny moments too like seing planes crash on someone. Battleships were impressive as well. They sure butchered that franchise. What a shame!

Hell no, every one has been an improvement on the last, except for Vietnam, and that's only because it played havoc on a lot of PCs.

bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bf2nutta
Member since 2007 • 1356 Posts

BF2, was pretty good as well, cept the jets got too overpowering and needed nerfs

Led_poison
Strike at Karkand 64 Infantry Only is amazing
S3CR3T_SPY2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 S3CR3T_SPY2
[QUOTE="S3CR3T_SPY2"][QUOTE="thespywholied"]

ANeuralPathway

Hell no, every one has been an improvement on the last, except for Vietnam, and that's only because it played havoc on a lot of PCs.

I rented BF:BC for a week and it's nothing compared to 1942. Small maps. No battleships. No planes. No funny moments. It got too serious by being too realistic. BF1942 was a real game with real fun without even actually doing the objectives of conquest. BF:BC just gets boring by being too serious.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
My votes goes for UT'99 and Halo 3.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

lol the planes in 1942 looked so funny XD

they are killing the series right now... bad company was like wtffail

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
One of my most played games is BF2 MC on the original xbox
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="ANeuralPathway"][QUOTE="S3CR3T_SPY2"]

S3CR3T_SPY2

I rented BF:BC for a week and it's nothing compared to 1942. Small maps. No battleships. No planes. No funny moments. It got too serious by being too realistic. BF1942 was a real game with real fun without even actually doing the objectives of conquest. BF:BC just gets boring by being too serious.

There's your problem, you are comparing it to the dumbed down Console game. Go play BF2 and BF2142. 2142 is personally my favourite of the whole series.

My votes goes for UT'99 and Halo 3.musicalmac

Halo 3? REALLY? I agree with the UT '99 thing though. Although I've played UT3 waaay more than it.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

That said - I think halo 3 might be comparable to BF when you talk of funny moments. Some funny stuff does happen in the game, esp when you bring vehicles into the mix

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Halo 3? REALLY? I agree with the UT '99 thing though. Although I've played UT3 waaay more than it.

kieranb2000
Yup, Halo 3. I've gotten as much play time out of it as I did from UT'99, and that's saying something.

That said - I think halo 3 might be comparable to BF when you talk of funny moments. Some funny stuff does happen in the game, esp when you bring vehicles into the mix

angryfodder
Halo 3 has plenty of laugh out loud funny moments. It's part of what makes it great.
ANeuralPathway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ANeuralPathway
Member since 2008 • 580 Posts
[QUOTE="S3CR3T_SPY2"][QUOTE="ANeuralPathway"] I rented BF:BC for a week and it's nothing compared to 1942. Small maps. No battleships. No planes. No funny moments. It got too serious by being too realistic. BF1942 was a real game with real fun without even actually doing the objectives of conquest. BF:BC just gets boring by being too serious. kieranb2000

There's your problem, you are comparing it to the dumbed down Console game. Go play BF2 and BF2142. 2142 is personally my favourite of the whole series.

My votes goes for UT'99 and Halo 3.musicalmac

Word my man. I have put so many hours into that game.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Battlefield Pirates, anyone?
bigburd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigburd
Member since 2004 • 1281 Posts

angryfodder
your not kidding, what me and a buddy used to do was take a jeep over to the ammo crate and throw explosives upon explosives in it, then we would go tearing through the countryside looking for people/tanks. When we would spot one we would drive straight to it and hop out right before we hit it, then we would blow up the explosives, that was so fun. also on capture the flag, when i had the flag i would get to a high point on the map, while my buddy circled overhead on a plane, then he would swoop down and hop out before the plane hit me and i would hop in, classic especially when it didnt work.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Lord, I love that game. It was so revolutionary when it first came out. And the mods...the sheer number of awesome mods. Forgotten Hope was simply incredible, along with The Great War and Desert Combat. It all went downhill from there though...BF2 just didn't feel the same, and don't get me started on 2142. They took themselves seriously, when BF1942 knew you were going to fly that JU-88 over the English Channel with five anti-tank soldiers standing on your wingtips to rain down additional death on the British radar installations.
Cooldude224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Cooldude224
Member since 2005 • 3116 Posts

angryfodder

Like using Ghosts on the last level with 3 other friends :lol:. Some of the most fun I've had with any game.

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

i love to jump on a wing of a plane and some one flys it and i try to stay on it for long as i can. good times good times :)

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
best theme tune ever Game was better than BF2 in a lot of ways
kerpal_cz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kerpal_cz
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts

BF 1942 was epic.

The scale was awesome, you could fly B-17's, control the battleships... Very excite!

My favourite were the subs, noone ever shot at them, I used to run around sinking the battleships with them.

Desert combat was sick too.

Notsogr8one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Notsogr8one
Member since 2004 • 3739 Posts
Desert Combat made it the greatest game ever. It let me know that the Apache was God
KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts
1942 and BF2 were awesome (I won't even admit to the hours *ahem* days of my life that were dumped into them). The community was awesome. They helped usher in a new style of FPS...sigh. Why did BF:BC have to suck so badly.
ps2jak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ps2jak2
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I got it in 2006 so I was sorta late but man have I done cool stuff on it. One time on this tdm map everyone got bored so we started playing as if it was an RPG and allies were the crack smoking hippies and axis the cops and we were chasing each other round. I was on allies and i first learn how to kill a tank with a jeep then. We were on a map with lots of barns and a windmill with a spawn point next to it and one close to the axis which was near it and one further back to the allies which was to the south east. I forgot the name but I remember it as it was funny. I ended up driving the crack van which was an apc and managed to hide at the edge of the map for ages with the team till they found us. It sounds bizzare but it proved what you could do with the game.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Spent countless hours playing it at LAN cafes, or local lan with friends. Moments like having 30 odd people surfing on the wings of a B17 were priceless. The game isn't top dog nowadays by far; its design has aged next to games like the earlier Tribes 2, mainly due to sequals like BF2, but its still an exellent example of a progressive online game, that was a heap of fun. Oh and Desert Combat was fantastic too.
Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

Never played it, But BF2 and BF2142 are my favorite multiplayer games ever. Battlefield Bad Company was good as well but a bit dissapointing.

As a whole though, the franchise is truely amazing. The games have yet to be topped when it comes to large scale warfare, teamwork based gameplay, and such a robust, rewarding stats/unlock system.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I haven't played 1942, but I have played BF2 and I can't say that is the best FPS. There is way too many flaws and exploits in it.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Bad Company is surprisingly enjoyable. While im still yet to give multiplayer any time, the singleplayer has been damn fun, much better than Modern Combat's.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Bad Company is surprisingly enjoyable. While im still yet to give multiplayer any time, the singleplayer has been damn fun, much better than Modern Combat's.

But the multiplayer is the best part! :o
gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 gollum007
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts
dude u r so right. BF1942 is one of my favorite games of all time. It was so fun and funny at the same time. Especially deaths, one time i jumped out of a plane and a couple seconds before my guy hit the ground and died, he yelled and then crapped himself. Also, standing on plane wings or teamkilling someone that teamkilled u for a plane. or spamming commands while in a Higgins boat full of people banging their heads.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="Led_poison"]

Kept crashing mine :'( I still think the original call of duty alongside counterstrike (1.6) are the best. imo
gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gollum007
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="Led_poison"]

Kept crashing mine :'( I still think the original call of duty alongside counterstrike (1.6) are the best. imo

original Call of Duty was awesome, even more with the expansion pack United Offensive. I remember though going on Call of Duty 1 and talking about BF1942 and people would start bad mouthing it lol. What's sad is that Call of Duty 1 was more popular than BF1942 even though i think BF1942 revolutionised the genre and had much more stuff to do.
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

lets see what lex luther has to say....

..okay then. I agree with him.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="gollum007"][QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="Led_poison"]

original Call of Duty was awesome, even more with the expansion pack United Offensive. I remember though going on Call of Duty 1 and talking about BF1942 and people would start bad mouthing it lol. What's sad is that Call of Duty 1 was more popular than BF1942 even though i think BF1942 revolutionised the genre and had much more stuff to do.

True , much more to do in bf1942 , still cod1 will always be close to my heart :D hehe! lol i never owned bf1942 , but played heaps at lans and stuff , though i have bf2.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
I loved BF:1942 and have been trying to find a game that is similar in fun factor and excitement but I have as yet been unable to find one. The absolute best in several genres that I enjoyed and haven't been able to find a match are Battlefield:1942, Diablo and Diablo 2 and Warcraft 2.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts
Good game, but rather incorrect. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis is the best FPS ever.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
1942 was the game that got me in to FPS (or over the shoulder) shooters. I still haven't played a game that was as much fun as this, Vietnam, or Star Wars Battlefront. One of my old bosses used to own a gaming center on the side and we'd go there to play these games just about every day with other co-workers. I was blown away and instantly hooked. I can't count the number of times I woke up late for work due to these games (good thing the boss took the blame for getting me hooked). There needs to be more shooters like this. Never did get in to any other WWII shooters until I got COD:WAW and MOH:H2 for the Wii since they are the only decent shooters available for it (though I'd still rather play 1942).
gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gollum007
You know, i would still probably play BF1942 if they somehow constantly updated the graphics and putting out new maps or updated maps and new mods guaranteed to be good. Btw, did anyone ever play the Star Wars mod called (I think) Galactic Conquest online or singleplayer? That was such an underrated mod. Sure it got good ratings but not that many people knew about these mods or heard about them from others. Most people played Forgotten Hope (which tbh used to have a really cool theme tune until the patches 7.2 or something.) FH was great, Galactic Conquest (GC) was great, and DC (Desert Combat) was great. Also, has anyone played the FirstStrike mod for BF2142? is it any good? It was originally supposed to be a BF2 mod but they changed their minds.