Batman Arkham Origins - mega flop 6/10

• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Not as horribly bad as her recent reviews but still an annoying read. Worst reviewer at gamespot. Easily.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@LordOfPoms said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@LordOfPoms said:

That's my worry too. I like that they called this game out for being more of the same -- not a bad thing, just not necessarily moving anything forward -- but I fear COD: Ghosts will introduce a dog, fish swimming away and better graphics and get hailed as some sort godly game you must buy now.

That's not a bad thing to mention in the body of the review....I just don't think it should major points for it. The game should be scored based on the game itself and not expectations.

I disagree. If you're releasing a brand new game in a series, but it offers nothing new, then it should absolutely be docked. It's like when a movie sequel comes out and you get the same exact plot (Hangover 2, Hangover 3) with tired jokes/gags/plots, but a new location. That's absolutely a reason to dock a game some major points. It can still be fun, and it can still be a great game to people who are fans of the series, but why make a sequel when your brand new big budget game might as well have been an add-on pack?

Why should it be docked? If you liked the first Hangover chances are the sequels will entertain you. That doesn't mean everyone is going to like it...but you should rate all medium as stand alone. It's fine to say it's more of the same so people that don't want more of the same know to stay away....but if the games is executed well....it's executed well. Period.

Keeping with the Hangover theme, they copy pasted the plot of the first one in the second and third. If this series entertains you, why do you need a review of 4/5 stars to tell you that you're going to like it? If this if your first Hangover movie, why should you spend 20 bucks to take the family to see it when the first was better, funnier and cheaper than the "new" version? See the reasoning? Reviews of the Hangover movies went from "must see" to "its OK" to "this one is terrible..." and they're right to do it -- and fans of the movie still ignored it and paid money to see it. They knew what they were getting.

You can't rate all medium stand alone, particularly in video games where the first game is usually a building block for the second. I understand your thought process, but the reality is that after 6 Call of Duty Games in X amount of years, if you see minimal improvement you should call it out knowing that it probably won't alienate the fan base -- unless of course they live to have their opinions validated by a number from some random person, which happens all too often in games.

If a game is executed well, but it's the same thing you bought 12 months ago, why praise them for just barely clearing the bar instead of completely raising it? Especially when it's two different teams working on 2 year cycle?

Two different schools of thought here.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

What was the SW hype for this?

Not made by Rocksteady/10

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

No offense intended to reviewers but I take their reviews (good or bad) with a grain of salt.

I prefer hearing from those who don't make their livelihood working for gaming magazines, websites, etc..,

Although I am only an hour or so in, I am thoroughly enjoying this game and that's all that matters.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#105 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Any news on the combat/strealth challenges or what replaces the riddler puzzles/trophies for this game? Those are the aspects I care about the most and I don't hear people talk about them much

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

@Jolt_counter119 said:

Not as horribly bad as her recent reviews but still an annoying read. Worst reviewer at gamespot. Easily.

Easily. 9/10 + for games that are equivalent to DVD bonus games, but a 6/10 for a real game that is mechanically sound.

If GS is going to start playing this game, then I hope to see BF4, AC4, CoD: Ghosts, Mario 3D World, and Donkey Kong score no higher than a 7 for each.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#107  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

From what I got, the only reason it's rated low is because it is incredibly similar. Might check out at a price drop.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Has anyone heard the saying "If it isn't broke, why fix it?" Asylum, City and Origins remind me of the Metroid Prime series in that each game had small changes and improvements over the last but ultimately all were strikingly similar to the point where the you are familiar in what you needed to do. Sure, the similarities are there when you play Origins but what series doesn't have them?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#109 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Solaryellow: I actually feel like Arkham City is one of the most improved sequels I have ever played. Literally every single aspect of City was several levels above Asylum. I feel like the problem with making a sequel to Arkham City is that maybe that it's standards are set too high. Before anything was announced on Arkham Origins, I seriously believed that not even Rocksteady could top what they did. All that's left are minor tweaks.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I don't know, I played some with my friend this morning and it seemed as solid as the other two. Also most other reviews are higher than 7.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Sounds like it's still a good game but there's nothing really new except the story.

picklesurprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By picklesurprise
Member since 2013 • 185 Posts

This would probably be my score for the series.

I just can't get into it.

Avatar image for Thecongregation
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Thecongregation
Member since 2013 • 146 Posts

I'm surprised the guy did not complain about th elack of females.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

Sounds like it's still a good game but there's nothing really new except the story.

My question is does it warrant a low review score than? I mean bigger games have gotten the pass. If Cod Ghosts is the same as it's predecessors will it get a similar score to this or will it get the pass that it always has?

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#115 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

My question is does it warrant a low review score than? I mean bigger games have gotten the pass. If Cod Ghosts is the same as it's predecessors will it get a similar score to this or will it get the pass that it always has?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing actually, it really depends on the person I suppose, personally I don't see the problem with giving a game a good score if it's still enjoyable, even if it is similar.

1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

Good question. I'd prefer if the bigger games don't get a pass anymore. Annual rehash that still plays well cuz it's the same game again? Give it a 6!

Normally this reviewer gets a bit preachy and political for my taste, but this criticism of predictability and nothing new is valid imo, and I hope it starts to get used more and more, because plenty of games are deserving.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Carolyn sucking as a reviewer as usual, but at least this time she is being a shining example of the hypocrisy of game reviewers.

Where was the 6 for MW3 when it gave us way more of the same just done worse? Too many series get praise every single iteration regardless of actual merit, yet they go and dock a game this majorly for the same crap that the rest of the big titles never get held accountable for.

Welp, maybe next time the devs need to just toss some money to GS to get that 9/10.

Carolyn didn't review MW3. If she had I'm sure she would have given it a low score.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

Great Sig.

I miss team Silent :(

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#119 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

I would love if COD: Ghosts got a 9.0 lel

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#120  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Well she only gave Luigis Mansion Dark Moon a 6.5. I will say the framerate is pretty bad and whilst it hasn't really changed in terms of combat it isn't really a bad thing just not taking it to the next level. The other two games which are massive successes also gave this game a challenge but overall I think this game is still a solid 8. I thought Gametrailers gave it a fair review.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Funny, Sessler agrees with Carolyn. The game is redundant and lacks innovation.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#122 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Clock-w0rk said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

What was the SW hype for this?

Not made by Rocksteady/10

Don't believe there was official hype. There seems to be a trend lately of people calling such and such a flop, without any hype. Never was how it worked from my memory.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#123 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

I would love if COD: Ghosts got a 9.0 lel

Next generation fish AI.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Animal-Mother

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

Great Sig.

I miss team Silent :(

Thank you! I highly Miss team silent as well.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Seens like they are being very harsh just for the kicks (or clicks). This gen has been all about repetition for maybe six years, and just now they figure they should slash points on account of that? Eh, well at least they are improving. But it's hard to take her reviews seriously after that Gone Home game.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Animal-Mother

@1oh1nine1 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

Good question. I'd prefer if the bigger games don't get a pass anymore. Annual rehash that still plays well cuz it's the same game again? Give it a 6!

Normally this reviewer gets a bit preachy and political for my taste, but this criticism of predictability and nothing new is valid imo, and I hope it starts to get used more and more, because plenty of games are deserving.

I agree whole heartily and though I play whatever the hell I wanna play, reviews do matter in some light.I think they've made a decision to write reviews from a reflective standpoint rather than a factual standpoint. Think about it... They believe they're writers at heart, so they're doing what fuels their ID.... They're writing reviews that put themselves at the center of the review. It will never work on a mass level because we want to read the facts not the fluff... I also believe they've begun to use the scores to increase the hits... Shit the numbers never even line up with the content of the review...I think they're pretentious because they are actually pretentious... ( A borrowed though from someone <3) *cough*Cough* Eroica

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Funny, Sessler agrees with Carolyn. The game is redundant and lacks innovation.

Yet Rev3 gave it a 4/5.

You don't need innovation for a game to be "good," i.e. 7.0/8.0. 6.0 is a mediocre score; I don't think a game that has solid mechanics should be labeled mediocre just because it's not reinventing the wheel like Asylum and City did.

And to clarify, I think if a game has good mechanics, it deserves a good score. But hey, GameSpot as of late has taken a page from Gawker media and decided to go for click-baiting exclusively.

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

Unless COD gets a 6, I'm gonna call bullshit on this one.

Carolyn should be fired.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

people focus too much on scores. Read review, watch vids, then decide if it's good or not.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#130 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@starjet905 said:
No surprises or innovations to liven up the gameplay
Characters in multiplayer feel frustratingly weak

Cutting off 4 points for that?

What the hell, Carolyn?

I'm honestly getting irritated by this whole "oh, boo hooo, nothing NEW, nothing INNOVATIVE" complaining going on these days.

Ace Attorney Dual Destinies had 2 points cut off because its Bad is "n/a". Damnit "n/a", it's such a game-breaking flaw! The scores on Gamespot are starting to become completely senseless and arbitrary.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#131 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

@GhoX said:

@starjet905 said:

What the hell, Carolyn?

I'm honestly getting irritated by this whole "oh, boo hooo, nothing NEW, nothing INNOVATIVE" complaining going on these days.

Ace Attorney Dual Destinies had 2 points cut off because its Bad is "n/a". Damnit "n/a", it's such a game-breaking flaw! The scores on Gamespot are starting to become completely senseless and arbitrary.

Starting? They've been that way for a while. I lost confidence in their reviews about 2 years ago.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 princeofshapeir

@GhoX said:

@starjet905 said:

What the hell, Carolyn?

Well, everyone knows games don't just start at 10 and get deducted for each flaw, but there should be some points written under the "bad" column.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#133 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

still gonna play it. =P

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Zensword

@Lumpy311 said:

Carolyn should be fired.

No you're dead wrong, COD brings something new every year

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

I can't take reviews seriously from a site that gave gta v a 9/10.

regardless of reasons, at least 9/10 is a good score. 6/10 is crazy. The game is not that bad.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

From what I got, the only reason it's rated low is because it is incredibly similar. Might check out at a price drop.

Ok, so what if it's looked at as an expansion with more than enough content to make it full price.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#137 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

FLOP! I thought this Batman series was supposed to be good? 6/10 is not good.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 princeofshapeir

@Zensword said:

@Lumpy311 said:

Carolyn should be fired.

No you're dead wrong, COD brings something new every year

AO brings about as much new stuff to the Arkham series as the CoD games, or the Assassin's Creed games... It's not a complete rehash like many are saying, but it's certainly not on the level of Arkham Asylum to Arkham City (nor did WB ever claim it was).

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

And this is why review scores are so pointless to me.I already know I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this game just like I did the other two.

Also,I'm looking forward to COD Ghosts scoring a 5 this year due to it being the same game they've been making forever,lol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#140 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Two words:

Carolyn Petit

Wait for the second opinion before deciding whether or not to get it. From other opinions, it sounds like it's Arkham City 2. Which apparently is a bad thing now.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22626 Posts

I agree with Animal-Mother :P

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

@thedork_knight: Quite.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Zensword

UC3 brought virtually nothing new to the table yet it got a 9 from McSh*t

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#144  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The more I read and watch about this game, the more excited for it I suddenly am. Quite liked Sessler's review.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#145 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@Blabadon said:

The more I read and watch about this game, the more excited for it I suddenly am. Quite liked Sessler's review.

Ditto.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

@Thecongregation said:

I'm surprised the guy did not complain about th elack of females.

Whether or not this game is bad it's still very difficult to take reviews from gamespot seriously.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I'll probably play this at some point but it's pretty low on my priority list.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#148 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

This site is basically as bad as IGN with reviews now.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Animal-Mother

@Blabadon said:

Sesslers review was the most balanced out of the one's i've seen.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#150 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

The score is irrelevant. If you loved Batman AA/AC, you will love AO.