Batman AK: RockSteady Struggling to Achieve Parity?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

Recently, in order to satiate fans' desire for the now-delayed Batman: Arkham Knight, RockSteady released new footage of gameplay from the highly anticipated title. Not surprisingly, considering the fact that most developers this generation have gone this route, Rocksteady chose to use footage from the PlayStation 4 version of the game.

The development team's choice of Sony's fourth gaming console over Microsoft's third one, in addition to the pushed-back release date, makes me wonder whether it's having trouble bringing the XBOX One's version of Arkham Knight up to par with that of the PS4.

As I've said, most developers this generation have chosen to show pre-release-date footage of their multiplatform games on the PlayStation 4 instead of the XBOX One. Consider Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, all of whose pre-release-date gameplay footage has been shown running on only Sony's machine.

So, I raise the question, do you believe that RockSteady is struggling to achieve parity between the PS4's and XBOX One's versions of Arkham Knight and that this is the reason why the game's release date has been pushed back to June 23rd of this year?

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

PS4 multiplats usually look visually better than xbones, so this is likely. (Unlike PC< that always look same for $1000 more)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Honestly, Rocksteady is the last studio I trust with putting together a good party.

"Hey, can I have another beer?".

"Nah, man, gotta keep it steady. Rocksteady. No refills."

**** that.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Emil_Fontz

@freedomfreak:

We're talking about parity and not parties!

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

I'm guessing the reason we're only seeing PS4 gameplay has to do with the marketing deal with Sony. It should be no surprise that the PS4 version will end up being slightly better though.

Even The Division, which has a marketing deal with Microsoft, will have the PS4 as the lead platform since the devs said the PS4 is more powerful and works better with the engine.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ImBatman- said:

I'm guessing...

When Batman has to guess about a Batman game, all hope is lost.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emil_Fontz

@ConanTheStoner said:

@ImBatman- said:

I'm guessing...

When Batman has to guess about a Batman game, all hope is lost.

LOL.

Extrodinare101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Extrodinare101
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

Thank God I'm getting this on PC.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Emil_Fontz

@extrodinare101 said:

So am I, matey! Argh! Argh!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm getting the Collector's Version on PS4 and the extra exclusive Scarecrow missions/content is also on PS4.

I know Rocksteady is aimed at parity, but due to the power gap, the PS4 version may have an advantage despite Rocksteady's aim at Parity.

If performance-wise, they are exactly the same, cool though. As a longtime Batman fan for decades (along with other comics) I am getting the PS4 version for extra Scarecrow game content and a console version for the C.E.. I also am getting a console version to avoid DRM so I can have the option to lend the game to my poor bros when I'm done without being tied to the internet.

If there is a performance gap on the superior PS4 hardware (over Xbone), bonus. If they are the same, I'm fine. My reasoning has to do with content, Collector's Edition, and avoiding DD DRM either way.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@extrodinare101 said:

What I thought with the last batman game until I got to the first boss fight and I had to fight it blind because the screen went black...

Not surprised their games get delayed because of bugs, especialy stupidly obvious ones like that.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emil_Fontz

@ten_pints said:

@extrodinare101 said:

What I thought with the last batman game until I got to the first boss fight and I had to fight it blind because the screen went black...

Not surprised their games get delayed because of bugs, especialy stupidly obvious ones like that.

The last Batman game, Arkham Origins, was not developed by RockSteady but by Warner Brothers Montreal and was subsequently an anomaly within the Arkham series of games in terms of its technical quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I don't know why people care about the differences between Ps4 and Xbone multiplats, because literally it's just a resolution difference (Unless devs decide to run both in 1080p for some dumb reason, unless it's not a demanding game), any other quirks are just that, quirks. Granted 900p vs. 1080p is not nothing, but 360 games still look good on my TV and if it's just resolution, yeah I don't care. Besides, do you really even need to ask what version will run at a higher resolution?

It's not like Ps2 vs. Xbox, or when Ps3 ports were vastly inferior to the 360 version.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

XBone is pretty much an anchor holding Gen8 back.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Something about this game seems...off. Batman in a robotic, iron plated suit, driving a tank filled with artillery. A new enemy, also inside a robot suit....

Did they forget they were making a Batman game?

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emil_Fontz

@Thunderdrone said:

Something about this game seems...off. Batman in a robotic, iron plated suit, driving a tank filled with artillery. A new enemy, also inside a robot suit....

Did they forget they were making a Batman game?

Who do you think the Arkham Knight is? The identity thief from Arkham City?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@ImBatman- said:

I'm guessing the reason we're only seeing PS4 gameplay has to do with the marketing deal with Sony. It should be no surprise that the PS4 version will end up being slightly better though.

Even The Division, which has a marketing deal with Microsoft, will have the PS4 as the lead platform since the devs said the PS4 is more powerful and works better with the engine.

Yeah this is probably the main reason... but yes, of course the PS4 version will look slightly better.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Except literally all devs have to do to run a ps4 game on Xbone is lower the resolution.

Both these boxes are underpowered compared to what they should have been. We should've got a decent cpu and 2 1/2 teraflop gpu at least.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 freedomfreak
@emil_fontz said:

I'm out.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well it would seem Sony has a marketing deal for this game, which would explain the PS4 footage (although they've also shown it running on PC)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shewgenja

@Chozofication said:

@Shewgenja said:

Except literally all devs have to do to run a ps4 game on Xbone is lower the resolution.

Both these boxes are underpowered compared to what they should have been. We should've got a decent cpu and 2 1/2 teraflop gpu at least.

Well, except the Xbox fanbase made such an astronomical stink over the PS3 costing $600 that there was no way in hell a powerful console would see the light of day this time around. Seeing as how the XBone took off like an airplane made of lead at $500, I'm sure Gen9 won't fare much better in that regard.

I_Even_Lift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 I_Even_Lift
Member since 2013 • 89 Posts

@extrodinare101 said:

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Emil_Fontz

@Chozofication said:

@Shewgenja said:

Both consoles would have been prohibitively expensive had SONY and Microsoft gone with beefier specs. However, it would have been awesome if SONY had included a beefier Cell processor inside of the PS4; the gap between SONY's machine and Microsoft's would be even larger.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

For starters, everyone needs to remember that this is Rocksteady last Batman game that is coming to current-gen, (PS4/Xbox One) and not last-gen so they won't be limited from last-gen. Bare in mind that Rocksteady is going all out on these current-gen so it's not a surprise they are having a hard time with Xbox One.

That said, I'm agreeing with SolidTy, I'm getting the PS4 version cause I started the Arkham games on PS3, might as well go all out on PS4 since I'm familiar with the controls.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I didn't even finish Origins.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@Chozofication: Keep telling yourself that, maybe you'll believe it. Shadows of Mordor has missing grass and effects on Xbox One, same situation for GTA 5. Alien Isolation has screen tearing on Xbox One. Tomb Raider has almost twice the frame rate. Dark Souls 2 has a much better framerate on PS4. Fail attempt at downplaying PS4 differences.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@emil_fontz said:

Recently, in order to satiate fans' desire for the now-delayed Batman: Arkham Knight, RockSteady released new footage of gameplay from the highly anticipated title. Not surprisingly, considering the fact that most developers this generation have gone this route, Rocksteady chose to use footage from the PlayStation 4 version of the game.

The development team's choice of Sony's fourth gaming console over Microsoft's third one, in addition to the pushed-back release date, makes me wonder whether it's having trouble bringing the XBOX One's version of Arkham Knight up to par with that of the PS4.

As I've said, most developers this generation have chosen to show pre-release-date footage of their multiplatform games on the PlayStation 4 instead of the XBOX One. Consider Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, all of whose pre-release-date gameplay footage has been shown running on only Sony's machine.

So, I raise the question, do you believe that RockSteady is struggling to achieve parity between the PS4's and XBOX One's versions of Arkham Knight and that this is the reason why the game's release date has been pushed back to June 23rd of this year?

1) its because they have an exclusive marketing deal with sony

2) I'm gonna get the PS4 version because it has exclusive DLC and also becuase if i don't, I probably wont touch my PS4 the rest of this year :(

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Xbox One Markets a game (xb1 gets lower resolution doesn't say anything nice about xb1 or talks crap about ps4 and tells them don't worry dlc will be right around corner for them)

PS4 Markets a game (xb1 gets lower resolution dev talks crap about xb1 and says DLC first here etc)

WTF is the point of microsoft paying to advertise for a game that runs better on other systems

it literally makes no sense anymore i dunno why microsoft continues to fund multiplat marketing if the game runs worse on there system and for some reason sell less as well if anything they just promote the game is out an ppl pick it up on ps4

its just stupid i don't understand microsoft strategy at all if i market someones product i want the best version of it or it better damn well be atleast at parity with special bonus's if its runs worse im just done im spending a penny adverting ur game

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SolidTy

@Sagemode87 said:

@Chozofication: Keep telling yourself that, maybe you'll believe it. Shadows of Mordor has missing grass and effects on Xbox One, same situation for GTA 5. Alien Isolation has screen tearing on Xbox One. Tomb Raider has almost twice the frame rate. Dark Souls 2 has a much better framerate on PS4. Fail attempt at downplaying PS4 differences.

Yes, there are graphical, framerate, and effects differences besides just resolution.

This is a guess based on a mate of mine, but perhaps he is justifying a recent Xbone purchase?

My mate said a similar thing because he wanted to believe the differences were only resolution difference since he opted to save money on an Xbone ($50). My mate didn't realize a lot of multiplats also just haven't released on the Xbone as well, not to mention as you said, effects, grass, tearing, frame rate, etc. It's more than resolution.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Another win for PS4 it seems.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I'm getting the Collector's Version on PS4 and the extra exclusive Scarecrow missions/content is also on PS4.

I know Rocksteady is aimed at parity, but due to the power gap, the PS4 version may have an advantage despite Rocksteady's aim at Parity.

If performance-wise, they are exactly the same, cool though. As a longtime Batman fan for decades (along with other comics) I am getting the PS4 version for extra Scarecrow game content and a console version for the C.E.. I also am getting a console version to avoid DRM so I can have the option to lend the game to my poor bros when I'm done without being tied to the internet.

If there is a performance gap on the superior PS4 hardware (over Xbone), bonus. If they are the same, I'm fine. My reasoning has to do with content, Collector's Edition, and avoiding DD DRM either way.

Xbone owners don't have it bad, because Microsoft teamed with CD Projekt RED for The Witcher 3, a game I'm gonna get even before its release date and they're gonna get an exclusive collector's edition for that.

I'd always pick The Witcher over Batman so I'm glad MS teamed with CDPR, even if Batman is one of my all-time favs.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@Chozofication said:

@Shewgenja said:

Well, except the Xbox fanbase made such an astronomical stink over the PS3 costing $600 that there was no way in hell a powerful console would see the light of day this time around. Seeing as how the XBone took off like an airplane made of lead at $500, I'm sure Gen9 won't fare much better in that regard.

Really? It wasn't the cows that decided NOT to buy the PS3 until the price dropped? So it was the lems that decided it's lack luster initial sales?

Cows.......pppffftttt

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
@emil_fontz said:

I'm out.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ProtossX

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

Xbone owners don't have it bad, because Microsoft teamed with CD Projekt RED for The Witcher 3, a game I'm gonna get even before its release date and they're gonna get an exclusive collector's edition for that.

I'd always pick The Witcher over Batman so I'm glad MS teamed with CDPR, even if Batman is one of my all-time favs.

what if the witche runs worse on bone or at lower resolution or something would u still get it for bone over ps4 if you had both

i just dont understand i prefer the best version of game i can afford which is between the 2 consoles

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@ProtossX said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

what if the witche runs worse on bone or at lower resolution or something would u still get it for bone over ps4 if you had both

i just dont understand i prefer the best version of game i can afford which is between the 2 consoles

I'm a reviewer, I get games for free, there's no point in making a fuss over 180p difference because what I gain is unmeasurable.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Getting it on PC for obvious reasons, also they show PS4 footage because of a marketing contract, it's no different than Metal Gear Solid and Destiny.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shewgenja

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ProtossX said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

I'm a reviewer, I get games for free, there's no point in making a fuss over 180p difference because what I gain is unmeasurable.

Unmeasurable Scarecrow content free gameplay goodness?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ProtossX

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ProtossX said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

then why do u care about collectors editions if they don't give u those for reveiws do they why not buy the ps4 collectors edition and just play th xbone review copy or whatever

its just weird ur like o sweet collectors edition is for the xb1 but then u said u get games for free on whoever marketed the system which is it? and u said u don't have a ps4 so how do u review the games that are marketed by sony?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

@Allicrombie: Origin is just a prequel and it won't add anything from Arkham Knight so don't worry about that.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Salt_The_Fries

@ProtossX said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ProtossX said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

then why do u care about collectors editions if they don't give u those for reveiws do they why not buy the ps4 collectors edition and just play th xbone review copy or whatever

its just weird ur like o sweet collectors edition is for the xb1 but then u said u get games for free on whoever marketed the system which is it? and u said u don't have a ps4 so how do u review the games that are marketed by sony?

No, it's just @SolidTy (Solidus Tyus, can I call you that in reference to MGS? xD) has been ramming this picture of Batman collector's goodies aggressively down everyone's throat in almost every thread, I just wanted to show that for once "my" picture is as prominent as his. xD

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SolidTy
@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

This is a Batman thread! :P It's sort of random to bring up Witcher, Mario Kart, Halo, Bloodborne, or Uncharted in this Batman thread tbh. But don't fret, I'll cover the points you brought up, although a bit out of the ordinary for a Batman thread. :)

Anyways, I covered three points on my upcoming Batman PS4 purchase: Exclusive Game content (Scarecrow is only on PS4), Collector's Edition for consoles, and avoiding DD DRM. Does Witcher 3 have exclusive content on one of the platforms, because that would be good to know since I plan on buying it. I haven't read that is the case with W3 though.

I'm way more of a Batman fan than Witcher fan, so that's just how the cookie crumbles. I own CD Projekt's Witcher 1/2 and I own Rocksteady's Batman 1/2 and I would rather replay Rocksteady's games over CD Projekt's games, but to each their own. Witcher and Batman are good games and I wouldn't normally pit them against each other so your comment strikes me as odd. However, to answer: Witcher is a new IP in comparison to my life and Batman is something I grew up with since it's older than me so, so a new IP like Witcher, Uncharted, or Halo never stood a chance against The Batman (assuming the game is good, and Batman has been in stinkers too).

That said, putting aside my taste and your taste. Rocksteady's two Batman games are AAA/90+ at metacritic. CD Projek's Witcher games are AA/80+ at metacritc. There is that of course which backs up my opinions of both franchises. I'm getting Witcher 3 though as I'm a fan of the franchise, but not as big a fan as Batman.

Finally, I did want to point out the exclusive collector's Xbone version claim for Witcher 3:

Did you mean this W3 CE version which is also coming to PS4?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ProtossX

omfg i hope microsoft isn't paying to advertise for witcher holy crap nobodys gonna buy it on bone compared to that sexy ps4 edition with 1080p an

micrcosoft just throwing money into sony for them

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Screw parity. Make the games the best they can be per platform.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidTy: there's exclusive items in the X1 collector's edition. 2 card packs and a cloth map, i believe

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ProtossX

@LJS9502_basic said:

but then it would be PC > PS4 > XB1 everytime it would kill xb1 sales wouldn't it if u build the gimpiest game everytime for xb1 its gonna sell the least its not fair if they pay the marketed right?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Didn't you already pose this question? If not somebody already did and it's ridiculous. It's not like the consoles are that far apart, so to blame the XB1 for the game being delayed is stupid and baseless. Somehow lots of other multiplats were able to release on time with the PS4 having slightly better visuals. Cows think the PS4 is so powerful but their top games show otherwise.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

This is a Batman thread! :P It's sort of random to bring up Witcher, Mario Kart, Halo, Bloodborne, or Uncharted in this Batman thread tbh. But don't fret, I'll cover the points you brought up, although a bit out of the ordinary for a Batman thread. :)

Anyways, I covered three points on my upcoming Batman PS4 purchase: Exclusive Game content (Scarecrow is only on PS4), Collector's Edition for consoles, and avoiding DD DRM. Does Witcher 3 have exclusive content on one of the platforms, because that would be good to know since I plan on buying it. I haven't read that is the case with W3 though.

I'm way more of a Batman fan than Witcher fan, so that's just how the cookie crumbles. I own CD Projekt's Witcher 1/2 and I own Rocksteady's Batman 1/2 and I would rather replay Rocksteady's games over CD Projekt's games, but to each their own. Witcher and Batman are good games and I wouldn't normally pit them against each other so your comment strikes me as odd. However, to answer: Witcher is a new IP in comparison to my life and Batman is something I grew up with since it's older than me so, so a new IP like Witcher, Uncharted, or Halo never stood a chance against The Batman (assuming the game is good, and Batman has been in stinkers too).

That said, putting aside my taste and your taste. Rocksteady's two Batman games are AAA/90+ at metacritic. CD Projek's Witcher games are AA/80+ at metacritc. There is that of course which backs up my opinions of both franchises. I'm getting Witcher 3 though as I'm a fan of the franchise, but not as big a fan as Batman.

Finally, I did want to point out the exclusive collector's Xbone version claim for Witcher 3:

Did you mean this W3 CE version which is also coming to PS4?

Aha, I wasn't aware it's coming to PS4, I knew that people were CRYING in the internet over the fact it was coming to Xbone, so I'm assuming it was Xbone exclusive at some point, but CD PR being CD PR they don't pull some exclusive bullshit like any other dev would.

Anyway, I'll probably buy Batman with my own cash, as it was my 2nd most anticipated title for this period of time.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SolidTy

@lostrib: Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about the cards and cloth map. I guess because I don't live in that region where it's exclusive?

It seems the physical cards and map are only in the EU CE version?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-Witcher-3-Has-Xbox-One-Exclusive-Items-66774.html

These extras don't sound all that enticing. After all, they're limited to a £139.99 Collector's Edition that most gamers wouldn't buy anyway. Also, the exclusivity's apparently limited to Europe because the items aren't mentioned in the North American listings of the CE at all.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@ProtossX said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

but then it would be PC > PS4 > XB1 everytime it would kill xb1 sales wouldn't it if u build the gimpiest game everytime for xb1 its gonna sell the least its not fair if they pay the marketed right?

Too damn bad. Consumers deserve to get games that are optimized for their machine.