Backwards Compatibility is overrated.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bastard360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bastard360
Member since 2005 • 880 Posts
The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.
It might make old games look better, but that is the thing it's still the same old game.
A way of hold on to the past and making it seem more than it's worth. It's become more or less then a gimmick.

Sure the Xbox 360 has Backwards Comp, But that job is for my black old xbox, which is right now still plugged in
but collecting dust as we speak. Not to mention the BC is horrid on the 360. Why even included if it has all these
issues?
And lastly The Revolution, with NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube.
I'm sure many Nintendo fans has all these systems stashed away somewhere are still have it plugged in.
Oh yeah thats Donkey Kong Country alright pushing 16 bit on my shiny new rev.:P
Oh the Nostagical is there and in full force.
But sometimes we as gamers have to let go of the past inorder to fully embrace the future.
the best is yet to come.

And those memories of those past games "good times" were prolly 1000x sweeter than those games ever were.

The memories and that is what they should be FF7 and alot of other games did not age well.
SOAD3PAUL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SOAD3PAUL
Member since 2005 • 4607 Posts
[QUOTE="Bastard360"] The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.
It might make old games look better, but that is the thing it's still the same old game.

A way of hold on to the past and making it seem more than it's worth. It's become more or less then a gimmick.
Sure the Xbox 360 has Backwards Comp, But that job is for my black old xbox, which is right now still plugged in
but collecting dust as we speak. Not to mention the BC is horrid on the 360. Why even included if it has all these
issues?

I'm sure many Nintendo fans has all these systems stashed away somewhere are still have it plugged in.
But sometimes we as gamers have to let go of the past inorder to fully embrace the future.

the best is yet to come.

And those memories of those past games "good times" were prolly 1000x sweeter than those games ever were.

The memories and that is what they should be FF7 and alot of other games did not age well.

thats cause PSone sucked..lmfao if gamecube was backwards... I still play my N64..pain in the ass to hookup tho
imtjnotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imtjnotu
Member since 2003 • 3360 Posts
[QUOTE="Bastard360"] The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.

issues?

the best is yet to come.

SOAD3PAUL
thats cause PSone sucked..lmfao if gamecube was backwards... I still play my N64..pain in the ass to hookup tho

ur sheep is showing
silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts
I have at least 6 systems hooked up to my tv at any time.  Backwards compatibility is great for people who want to save space.
OneNine0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OneNine0588
Member since 2005 • 112 Posts

Actually, Nintendo was the first with the GBC and I used to play all my old games on my GBC that were for GB
VScalar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VScalar
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts
Agreed.  I'm not getting rid of my XBox when I get my 360.  I'd rather have both, thank you very much.
silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silkylove

Agreed.  I'm not getting rid of my XBox when I get my 360.  I'd rather have both, thank you very much.
VScalar

Even if the 360 was completely backwards compatible?

Bastard360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bastard360
[QUOTE="VScalar"]Agreed. I'm not getting rid of my XBox when I get my 360. I'd rather have both, thank you very much.

the bad thing is I feel like I am wasting my money if I buy last gen games. when I could be buying Next gen games.
silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silkylove

[QUOTE="VScalar"]Agreed. I'm not getting rid of my XBox when I get my 360. I'd rather have both, thank you very much.
Bastard360

the bad thing is I feel like I am wasting my money if I buy last gen games. when I could be buying Next gen games.

That's like saying you won't buy a classic movie like T2 because Fantastic Four just came out on dvd:|

just_the_usual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 just_the_usual
Member since 2005 • 1598 Posts
[QUOTE="OneNine0588"] [QUOTE="Bastard360"] The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.

Actually, Nintendo was the first with the GBC and I used to play all my old games on my GBC that were for GB

that wasn't really true backward compabitlity.. Since GBC was actully the same system.. Only that it could have colours.. Saying the GBC got backward compability is like saying that: "GB is the first system to have forthward compability!!" Since you can play GBC games on it...
just_the_usual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 just_the_usual

issues?
the best is yet to come.

But what if you diden't have a PS before you bought a Ps2? Then it might be a little more usefull.. Ignorant bastard..
kamen24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kamen24
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts

The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this.
Bastard360

Your thread failed. Atari 5200 was the first console to implement backwards compatibility don't give Sony credit that they don't deserve. They already get too much of that as it is.

JthRedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JthRedDragon
Member since 2003 • 1814 Posts

The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.

issues?
the best is yet to come.

Bastard360

I agree, I don't care about BC either, I always have my older consoles, but as far as FF7 not aging well, I'd have to to disagree on that one.

NofrikinfuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NofrikinfuN
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts

issues?
the best is yet to come.

I take it nobody remembers some of the pre-16 bit Atari systems featuring backwards compatibility. Sony wasn't first, neither was Nintendo.

Regardless, it's a perfectly good solution for those of us who don't want to invest in multiple power strips/video input devices just to play old games. You don't have to use it, so why complain about it?
Bastard360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bastard360
[QUOTE="just_the_usual"][QUOTE="Bastard360"] The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.

issues?
the best is yet to come.

But what if you diden't have a PS before you bought a Ps2? Then it might be a little more usefull.. Ignorant bastard..

Well Ass burgers to you then.:P I had a PS1 tehe. Metal Gear Solid,Resident Evil 2  and Final Fantasy VII
was meant to played in 1998 Double Ass burgers.:lol:
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
and no game boy was first 2 do this with game boy colour
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
actually im really excited for the backwards compatibility for the revo because there are alot of games that i missed, so it will be freaking awesome playing them on the revo :D
TheMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheMouth
Member since 2002 • 2755 Posts

issues?
the best is yet to come.

Bastard360

I think you meant that the GBA was the first to do this.

brim4brim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brim4brim
Member since 2005 • 4048 Posts
I'll enjoy backwards compatability on Rev as GC is my first Nintendo system so I can play the previous systems games and if Sega go in on it as rumoured I can play my fav megadrive games too and my investment in my GC games won't be wasted.

I don't really see the point of BC though unless you intend to use it, I like the idea of having it but I don't think I'll use it much, just saves me keeping my gc around.

I generally leave old games and focus on the new ones when they come out but in GC case I have a lot of games I still haven't completed because I've been pretty busy for the past couple of years.

just_the_usual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 just_the_usual
[QUOTE="Bastard360"] [QUOTE="just_the_usual"][QUOTE="Bastard360"] The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.

issues?
the best is yet to come.

Well Ass burgers to you then.:P I had a PS1 tehe. Metal Gear Solid,Resident Evil 2  and Final Fantasy VII
was meant to played in 1998 Double Ass burgers.:lol:

Are you a bloody retard? I said if you diden't have a Ps before you boguht the Ps2.. Don't you think it would be more usefull then??? I hate ignorant morons... this retard has been self owned because of "it's" ignorance.
Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts
........... says the guy with the Xbox 360 gamertag in his sig.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

issues?
the best is yet to come.

Backwards compatibility done correctly is an excellent feature. I can play all  my PS1 games through component out on my projector... those games have never looked better.

When someone comes out with a tactics game as good as Final Fantasy Tactics, for any platform, I'll play it. Also, I disagree with you 100% about FF7 not aging well. A good game is a good game, no matter if the graphics look a bit dated or not.

Backwards compatiblity on the Xbox 360 is a big joke... it's small list of games, many of which are genuinely buggy.
Avatar image for Solid_Snake0000
Solid_Snake0000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Solid_Snake0000
Member since 2004 • 3022 Posts

A lemming saying backwards compatibility is overrated, what are the chances? :roll:

I've bought well over 40 PS1 games since I got my PS2, so no it's not worthless.

geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
So by your logic the REV is screwed?
PS2Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PS2Hawk
Member since 2003 • 4180 Posts
[QUOTE="OneNine0588"] [QUOTE="Bastard360"] The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this. I have used it, probably 10-15 times over 5-6 years.

o STFU you noob...
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

issues?
the best is yet to come.

I completely disagree with you. I still play Castlevania: SotN and Resident Evil 2 on my PS2 from time to time and I never get tired of them. And FF7 - how can anyone turn down FF7?

I'll be playing FF7 on my PS3 too buddy.
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

issues?
the best is yet to come.

Bastard360

BC is very overated, but only to those who actually have experienced it. For the casuals who are late adopters to the current gen system it seems to be an important issue. Gamers who have had the chance to play emulated games on the pc, you know that once you play the old skool games for about 5-10 minutes, the nostalgia fades quickly.

In my opinion only Nintendo has much to gain from BC, Im sure not many people will be dying to play Tekken 1,the original Resident Evil, or NFL 2K4 just for the replay value.

Game On.......

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

BC is very overated, but only to those who actually have experienced it. For the casuals who are late adopters to the current gen system it seems to be an important issue. Gamers who have had the chance to play emulated games on the pc, you know that once you play the old skool games for about 5-10 minutes, the nostalgia fades quickly.

FatalDomain

You're saying that you could boot up chrono cross for 5-10 minutes and then call it trash?

Fancy graphics are nice, but good gameplay is forever.
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
[QUOTE="FatalDomain"]

Dire_Weasel

You're saying that you could boot up chrono cross for 5-10 minutes and then call it trash?

Fancy graphics are nice, but good gameplay is forever.

No one said it would be called trash. Of course gameplay is forever as you point out, but reading is clearly fundamental!!!.

Game On......

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Most older games do not age well - at least in my experience.  Often times, when I go back to play games that I loved back in the day, they are not half as enjoyable as when I played them years ago.  Nostalgia does funny things  to your recollection.
McjMetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 McjMetroid
Member since 2005 • 1669 Posts

I have at least 6 systems hooked up to my tv at any time.  Backwards compatibility is great for people who want to save space.silkylove

the atari 7200 was the first.allowed u to play 2600 games

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Most older games do not age well - at least in my experience.  Often times, when I go back to play games that I loved back in the day, they are not half as enjoyable as when I played them years ago.  Nostalgia does funny things  to your recollection.sonicare
All of my games Aged well I still play my NES almost everyday same thing with my SNES but thats at my sisters house now I let her borrow it for a while I should get it back soon cause she has no time to play it any more cause she has a baby to take care of!
PeeEsPee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PeeEsPee
Member since 2005 • 6337 Posts
I accidentally broke my PS1 so BC was awesome on PS2, saying its a gimmick is the biggest piece of crap I've heard in a little while. Why have 2 hulking systems (XBOX/XBOX360) when you can only have one? I don't care ONE BIT about it looking better, but I can still play PS1 for several hours at a time, Lunar games, Grandia, Xenogears, Castlevania, Megaman X games till I picked up collection recently. Theres still alot of awesome PS1 games I would not want to lose, its not a gimmick its practically neccesary in my book. 
Mrpayday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mrpayday
Member since 2004 • 1964 Posts
Playing NES, SNES, N64, and GCN on the Rev overrated...?  I don't think so.
freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freeload
Member since 2003 • 8139 Posts

issues?
the best is yet to come.

Bastard360

On every console thus far I would agree that backwards compatibility had been mostly useless, but that will not be the case with Rev...

I think being able to download and play 20 years of classic Nintendo games, along with using the normal GC disks obviously, is one of the greatest features of any console, ever...

If this also include classics from other companies like Sega, Capcom, Namco and Konami, then it will just be pure magic...

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
For someone who has 30+ collection of last gen games (one system alone), yes it is. Having every system hooked up is crazy when your tight on space, or hookups. I am even considering buying some old PS1 games for my PS2. I been buying up some original xbox, ps2 and gamecube games. I want to continue to look back and play out the past and continueing looking forwards in the future. Yes, BC is important.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
backwards compatibility is a plus for me. i hate having multiple consoles laying around and helps when my friends and i decide to LAN. i only have to take my 360 if we decided to play some xbox games like halo 2 system link or online instead of taking the 360 and the xbox.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#39 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

So let's get this straight, rather than having these on your shelving unit:

• PS3
  • Wii
  • Xbox 360

You would rather have:

• PS3
  • PS2
  • PSX
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox
  • Wii
  • GC
  • N64
  • SNES
  • NES
  • Genesis
  • TG16

Yeah completely overrated. :?

vitz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 vitz3
Member since 2004 • 1884 Posts

OneNine0588

Anyone hear of the Magnavox Odessey? It had backwards compatibility with it's 3rd version.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

The Sony Playstation 2 was the first to implement this.
Bastard360

I stopped reading here because you're already wrong.

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Please stop gravedigging thread from january of 2006...

As for the backwards compatibility issue, I like it a lot. I haven't played most of the ps2 games I want to play, and the PS3 gives me the chance to do so.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
I'm sorry, but I TOTALLY disagree. Backwards compatibility rocks. Especially on PS3 (because PS2 and PS1 were so freakin' sweet). But on other systems it's not as good (for the simple fact that their library is not as good).
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

It's nice to have the ability to play olders games without having to keep older consoles plugged in. It matters to some people too, because VC sales and XBLA games sell well for a reason, people like to play older games.

I actually use my Wii's BC quite often, cause I get in the mood to play an older game, or because the occasion to play SSBM with people comes up, and SSBB isn't out yet. :P

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

issues?
the best is yet to come.

Bastard360

backwards compatibility is NOT overrated..YOU'RE over rated sir

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts
it isn't overrated for me, because ps2 games that I want are still coming out (mostly jrpgs), so that means I didn't have to keep my ps2 hooked up.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
What's with all the early '06 threads?

BC is not overrated. In fact it's quite helpful, as many of us do not want to go out and buy older/used consoles to play old games. I enjoy BC because I can play games on Systems I didn't own at the time. I never owned an original Xbox, but I can play (a few) Xbox titles on my Xbox360. I did own a Gamecube though, and playing my old games on the Wii brings back memories.
DanBal76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DanBal76
Member since 2003 • 1950 Posts

just_the_usual

that wasn't really true backward compabitlity.. Since GBC was actully the same system.. Only that it could have colours.. Saying the GBC got backward compability is like saying that: "GB is the first system to have forthward compability!!" Since you can play GBC games on it...

Not that simple. GBC has a clock speed twice as fast as that of the original Game Boy and four times as much memory. Not all GBC games can be played on the original GB.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
Actually, I really enjoy playing my old PS2 games on my PS3, since I don't have a PS2 anymore, also, PSone games as well, I like playing Xbox games on my 360 as well. And as for GC on my Wii, the memory card doesn't work.