This topic is locked from further discussion.

rusty_armor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rusty_armor1
Member since 2007 • 229 Posts

After reading the 5th "OMG Look at teh graphix, This screen is missing shadox" thread today I had started thinking. What about audio? No one plays with there T.V.s on mute. As gamers we are are just as emmersed in the sound effects as the visuals whether it be beeping and boping or the most realistic gunshots. Yet we never see comparisons on audio between multiplats, yet these "graphix" threads are left right and center. I'm thinking that sound quality is in this order PC>PS3>360>Wii>PSP>DS>MAC:P. PS3 is better than 360 mostly because of uncompressed audio. What's your opinions?

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

LPCM is a non-compressed format, and is what the vast majorty of sound files on ALL the non-handhelds platforms use..

This stupid "PS3 has uncompressed audio so it sounds better" stuff needs to stop. Most audio clips in games are so short in length that there isn't much point in compressing them (especially when decompression of both lossless and lossy formats requires CPU time.) It's usually only music tracks that get the lossy treatment (and even then many of them aren't compressed.) Explore some of the game files in PC titles if you don't believe me..

Also, sound files in PS3 games are not encoded in anything more than stereo (2 channels) ..unless they're audio tracks of video clips. The sound engine in a game handles the audio mixing and outputting to multiple channels (which can be upwards of 5 channels)..that multi-channel audio track stuff is actually for movies. It's required in movies because, unlike game engines, a Blu-Ray player does not mix audio in real-time (there's no point in mixing real-time when you can master a multi-channel audio track in a studio beforehand. Perspective is non-dynamic in movies..unlike games.)

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

sound is very important. poor sound kills the games. fear is still the best, the small things in it like when you hit a can on the floor are incredible.

it is strange how many pc games support 5.1 and 7.1 while ps3 only does 2 channels. the uncompressed sound on ps3 is nothing but a joke. 95% of pc games use uncompressed wav files.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts

I care for sound as much as I care about graphics.

I love MGS4 with my system, pure awesome.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
The PS3's audio sounds better, not because of compressed audio, but because of better audio internals. Keep in mind that i am a "Lemming", but its true. You can hook up an ipod to both systems, playing mp3s and the PS3 still sounds better. Uncompressed audio usually sounds no better than properly Lame encoded 256kbs mp3 files. A note for lemmings: But at least you can browse the connected ipod properly on the 360. The navigation of the music is chaos on the PS3. There is no ability to categorize the music on the ipod with the PS3. But the PS3 does have better sound.
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

I care for sound as much as I care about graphics.

I love MGS4 with my system, pure awesome.

OH man I forgot how good the sound was for MGS4, so good
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Uncompressed audio usually sounds no better than properly Lame encoded 256kbs mp3 files.lhughey

Ehh....change "MP3" to "AAC" (at that same bitrate) and I'll agree :P ..I hate the MP3 format (it should've died as soon as AAC matured), but if I have to use it, I'll always go with 320 CBR.

My entire digital music library is actually ripped to lossless (TAK), but I'll be the first to say that the better lossy formats sound pretty much the same with a high bitrate.

The primary reason I like having my music in lossless is because I feel better knowing my audio is a 1:1 copy of the originally mastered source. Mainly what that means is I can transcode my library freely to any format without having to worry about the significant quality degredation you can see with Lossy-->Lossy transcoding.

And yeah, as someone said above: sound quality depends mostly on a game's sound direction and sound engine -- not so much the platform itself. Maybe the PS3 does have better sound hardware than the 360 as you said, but I honestly wouldn't know.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts

My Denon is decoding PCM and it's not even debatable that the sound quality is better on the ps3, as compared to my 360. I won't even mention the Wii. The 360 has no selectable options, for anything better then Dolby Plus. Which is very, very unfortunate.

Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
I don't really have a good enough sound system to take advantage of high quality audio, so it doesn't bother me.