Atari questionable tactics for Roller-coaster Tycoon to launch for the Switch.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (18696 posts) -

Link

Something really stinks with Atari currently! They have announced Roller-coaster Tycoon coming for the Nintendo Switch, but development has not even started, and so they launch a crowd-funding page to get started.

Here is where things get shady, especially their perks set

-------------------------------------------------------

Investment and participation is straightforward!

Invest any amount into the campaign (with $250 as a minimum), and earn your pro rata share of 50% of profits until you made 120% of your original investment; after which you’ll earn your pro rata share of 25% of profits until 18 months after the worldwide launch of the game, or the earlier termination of our license to market and sell the game! The percentages are subject to pro rata decreases in the event we raise less than the $2,000,000 we are seeking to raise in this Offering and in the offering under Regulation D 506(c) in which we anticipate engaging. See the Offering Details in the document below for a complete set of terms.

Perks*

- All investors: Atari Game Partners will host an Investors' site online, and you will have the option to have your name listed on that page;

- At least $750: Investor perk as outlined above, and a discount of 25% off the street price of the game at launch valid for a purchase of 1 unit of RollerCoaster Tycoon Nintendo Switch;

- At least $1,500: Both of the above Investor perks, and one free copy of the regular edition of the book “The Art of Atari”!

*All perks occur after the offering is completed

-------------------------------------------------------------

So, instead of making the game, it seems like a trick in order to get people to invest in the company instead? Something is definitely not right here.

#2 Posted by Aki2017 (817 posts) -

This just feels strange and wrong. How about just launching the game yourselves Atari? Crowdfunding shouldn't be used by greedy companies who don't even want to properly invest in their own products. Unless there's something I have missed, here?

#3 Edited by DrRollinstein (1147 posts) -

What the hell? This looks like some kind of sick parody crowd funder. What are they thinking?

#4 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (18696 posts) -

@drrollinstein said:

What the hell? This looks like some kind of sick parody crowd funder. What are they thinking?

I don't even know. This is very suspicious and there's no guaranteed when the game will ever come out.

Risks

A crowdfunding investment involves risk. You should not invest any funds in this offering unless you can afford to lose your entire investment. In making an investment decision, investors must rely on their own examination of the issuer and the terms of the offering, including the merits and risks involved. These securities have not been recommended or approved by any federal or state securities commission or regulatory authority. Furthermore, these authorities have not passed upon the accuracy or adequacy of this document. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission does not pass upon the merits of any securities offered or the terms of the offering, nor does it pass upon the accuracy or completeness of any offering document or literature. These securities are offered under an exemption from registration; however, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has not made an independent determination that these securities are exempt from registration.

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (50759 posts) -

Honestly excited for this. Portable crowdfunding is the best way to experience crowdfunding.

#6 Edited by Techhog89 (3083 posts) -

My guess is that they don't want to invest much in supporting a future rival.

#7 Posted by Sam3231 (2514 posts) -

I loved the original RCT 1 & 2 so I would definitely like to see how this turns out.

#8 Posted by TryIt (12791 posts) -

RCT....lol

Planet Coaster for the win

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#9 Edited by drummerdave9099 (3930 posts) -

Invest in stocks, not video games.

That said, I'd buy a port of Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 on Switch

#10 Posted by stuff238 (3284 posts) -

The series was fun 20 years ago. It is painfully boring now.

#11 Posted by GarGx1 (10535 posts) -

I don't support much crowd funding, Star citizen and a couple interesting early access games on Steam is about it but I don't dislike crowd funding either. One thing is sure though, I'll never understand why people get so upset over other people's spending. It's not as though non backers will be barred from buying the game once it has launched.

For Atari it's a valuable way of measuring interest before starting work on the game. If people are interested enough then a project will get funded, if not then the cost to them is minimal and the game doesn't get made at all. It's also far cheaper than making a full game, launching it and it makes a loss because no one actually wanted that kind of game in the first place.

#12 Posted by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

Atari are broke. That's why they're resorting to crowd-funding.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (29148 posts) -

"We know what we are doing"

#14 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (18696 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

I thought they were profitable? Now I question them completely ever since the announcement of the Atari Box. They never had a working prototype and only had renders of what they wanted it to be.

#15 Edited by Telekill (8125 posts) -

Hard pass on Atari now. This is shady and you don't even get a copy of the game even after you drop $1500.

Shady

#16 Posted by DrRollinstein (1147 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Hard pass on Atari now. This is shady and you don't even get a copy of the game even after you drop $1500.

Shady

But for the low low price of 750 bucks, you'll get a coupon for 25 percent off!

#17 Posted by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Jag85 said:

I thought they were profitable? Now I question them completely ever since the announcement of the Atari Box. They never had a working prototype and only had renders of what they wanted it to be.

Could be that they blew so much money on the Atari Box that they went broke.

#18 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (18696 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Jag85 said:

Could be that they blew so much money on the Atari Box that they went broke.

How can that be when they were crowdfunding the Atari box? hehe

#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29485 posts) -

I hope people realise just how awful Rollercoaster tycoon world and Rollercoaster tycoon on 3ds were.

This game has a 0.00000001% chance of succeeding :/

#20 Posted by henrythefifth (1926 posts) -

I got a good tactic; refuse to buy the game because you can get it for free off steam. For your laptop.

#21 Edited by Litchie (22616 posts) -

LOL, Atari. Aren't they dead yet?

#22 Posted by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

@Litchie said:

The original Atari died a long time ago. The current Atari is just Infogrames using the Atari name.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29485 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@Litchie said:

The original Atari died a long time ago. The current Atari is just Infogrames using the Atari name.

Yeah it's actually another company wearing the skin of old Atari as a suit.