Atari acquires Intellivision. The very first major console war in history has finally ended

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lavamelon  Online
Member since 2016 • 920 Posts

If you could go back to the 1970's and 1980's, the console war was all about Atari and Intellivision. These were the two big fish back in those days. And after all this time, the war between these once-mighty titans has finally ended. Atari has emerged the victor by acquiring Intellivision.

Atari just bought Intellivision, putting an end to the very first console war (msn.com)

Atari vanquishes its most ancient foe by acquiring Intellivision, declares end to 'the longest-running console war in history' (yahoo.com)

So what are your thoughts on this? Have you played any consoles of these manufacturers before? I have played ColecoVision as well as a Hanimex console.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1653 Posts

I never played on the Intelivison. Not even to this day with emulation (I should go and have a look really).

I do remember the Atari 2600, a friend owned one and I remember playing a few games on it, but this was in the mid 1980's and it seemed pretty primitive to me by that time, being a proud owner of a Commodore 64. I did use the excellent CX40 joystick on my C64 though!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44847 Posts

Owned an Atari 2600. Never owned an Intellivision but did play a bit on it. Mostly just remember playing a baseball game on it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34893 Posts

Nope, have never owned or played their consoles. Don't have much interest for stuff older than NES. Also don't care for Atari.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5317 Posts

Only gamers born before the 1980s will know of these companies.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371

@onesiphorus: Yeah because it’s not like you can look up who these companies were/are, what games they’ve made, or even play those games now. Oh wait.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2990 Posts

I have owned and played Atari 2600 and Colecovision a lot, and my aunt had an Intellivision which I played on a few times (see my profile picture)

I didn't know Intellivision was still in business, lol. But I have great memories of all three ancient consoles so it is cool news.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2990 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

@onesiphorus: Yeah because it’s not like you can look up who these companies were/are, what games they’ve made, or even play those games now. Oh wait.

True, but if you weren't born back then, you won't have the same memories and nostalgia of these consoles. Imagine a young gamer who grew up with Nvidia 4090 suddently getting exposed to those ancient consoles. He would be like "WTF is this??", lol

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371

@pmanden: Well yeah, obviously but to say that only those born before the 1980’s would “know” of these companies is just silly. Atari just released a 50th Anniversary collection not that long ago.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46847 Posts
@Litchie said:

Nope, have never owned or played their consoles. Don't have much interest for stuff older than NES. Also don't care for Atari.

Pretty much this. Atari games may have been hot for their time, but nowadays I wouldn't go back further than 8 bit, and especially 16bit is where the controls, gameplay, graphics and sound really start to take roots.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371

Anyway I don’t have any interest with going back any playing any games from that era again. The 8-bit era is my limit.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41666 Posts

This is not gonna be much better than it was under Tallarico. Considering Atari even via Infogrames still attached their name to poorly received licensed games (Enter the Matrix, various DBZ games not Budokai 3, more notoriously Sagas and UB22) in Gen Six, to investing in NFTs and screwing up the VCS release.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3334 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

This is not gonna be much better than it was under Tallarico. Considering Atari even via Infogrames still attached their name to poorly received licensed games (Enter the Matrix, various DBZ games not Budokai 3, more notiously Sagas and UB22) in Gen Six, to investing in NFTs and screwing up the VCS release.

It's amazing how Tommy Tallarico pretty much ruined his reputation with that fraud Amico console.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1480 Posts

Atari eventually sold their name and became Tengen, continuing to make games. Eventually they ended up as Midway Games West studio which disbanded in 2003, and their library of games were sold to Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

This company who bought Intellivision is Infogrames which bought the Atari brand name, and is separate from the original Atari who became Tengen and then Midway Games West.

Infogrames never made a console and wasn't involved with the Atari 2600 and other contemporaries in any console war.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58667 Posts

I respect these companies in the historical sense but unless they've managed to change with the times and stay relevant I just don't really care all that much.

History is important and all that, but as this is the video game industry I think it is important to always look forward.

Does anyone know what Atari gains from this? Do they want to make another retro console/emulation machine?

@Archangel3371 said:

ya man, but you weren't there! YOU WERENT THERE! You didn't live it, man! You know nothing!

😋😉😂

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371

@mrbojangles25: Oh man did I ever live it. That Atari joystick gave me so much carpal tunnel syndrome. Ouch! 😅

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10312 Posts

Well technically no, because the real Atari went broke during the gaming crash. While the assets of Atari would then be divided to a new company that would also use the name and do videogames and consoles that company also eventually went under. If I'm not mistaken the current Atari is basically the publisher Infogrames who bought the rights years ago.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16

@AcidTango said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

This is not gonna be much better than it was under Tallarico. Considering Atari even via Infogrames still attached their name to poorly received licensed games (Enter the Matrix, various DBZ games not Budokai 3, more notiously Sagas and UB22) in Gen Six, to investing in NFTs and screwing up the VCS release.

It's amazing how Tommy Tallarico pretty much ruined his reputation with that fraud Amico console.

Yup... and though I didn't plan on buying it (nor did I donate... I never do unless it's a round-up at a store checkout), I WAS looking forward into how it turned out AT LEAST. Yet, from Pat the NES Punk (who kind of grifted off the matter in his own right) to left-wing YouTuber Harry "hbomberguy" Brewis, boy what a mess...

Even his buddy Victor Lucas (who I still follow) seemed lost during one E3 stream.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nintendoboy16
@glez13 said:

Well technically no, because the real Atari went broke during the gaming crash. While the assets of Atari would then be divided to a new company that would also use the name and do videogames and consoles that company also eventually went under. If I'm not mistaken the current Atari is basically the publisher Infogrames who bought the rights years ago.

Regardless, all of Atari's burdens at this point are WITH Infogrames, still doing a fair bit of damage to that brand AFTER the NA crash.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 300

#20 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2997 Posts

One day, in the year 21XX Microsoft will buy Sony or vice versa. And the posts will be like:

"concerned"

"Whats a microsoft?"

etc.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8964 Posts

@lavamelon: I had both. But, Intellevision was my personal favorite, and ColecoVision was my favorite in the 2nd gen.

But, Atari had the most games, so it was the winner.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lavamelon  Online

@dabear: I loved my ColecoVision, my favourite games were Mousetrap (similar gameplay to Pacman), as well as the Smurfs game. Fun times those were.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5317 Posts

It is nice to see gamers like me (49 years old today) who are over the age of 45 and remember gaming prior to the video game crash of 1983. Gaming in the early 1980s was a different experience to me than from the release of the NES to the present.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19771 Posts

Atari vs. Intellivision was the Boomer console war.

But it was more like the shortest console war, not the longest. It only lasted three years, from 1980 up until the 1983 crash.

Either way, ColecoVision was better than both.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9664 Posts

I mean that's cool and all, but why?

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#26  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2629 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: The same reason as the adults who buy the toys that couldn't get when they were children i guess.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

My first console (really my older Brother's) was the Atari 7800. I loved Moon Patrol, Choplifter, Desert Falcon and Food Fight.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23203 Posts

I was an Atari 2600 gamer... My uncle had intellivision and I tried it a few times, but I wanted more jungle hunt and yars revenge....

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lavamelon  Online

@mrbojangles25: Atari will mostly gain Intellivision games to include in some compilations. Be prepared for a game compilation called “Intellivision’s Greatest Classics Volume One” at some point in the future.

Atari wants to be the king of classic gaming. They recently acquired Nightdive studios who make remasters of classic games. I am happy for them to go down this road. Nightdive is amazing, I am confident in Intelliviaion as well.