At the end of the day a story line makes a good fps a great fps.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mozilla2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mozilla2006
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts

Think back when you played your firstĀ  WW2 didn't it seem so much funner since you were fighting for something you believed in. A story line puts you into the game so much more then anything else. MY main thing to back this thing up is to all the people who played Freedom Fighters. I got so much more into the game because of the awesome storyline. Well i guess you could say its not the most realistic storyline, but its believable. Remember when you invade the Tv studios and Scott gives that kick ass speech to all of the people of new york. Right after that moment i liked the game even more. Now a days good fps or tps lacked because of storyline. My main example is Gears of War. I never really got into the game because the storyline was so retarded.

Thoughts.Ā 

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Gears of War really could have had a much better story line, much more easily, perhaps an expository movie for the history of Sera and Marcus Phoenix, a bit more direction during the game in terms of objectives, etc.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
while i don't think that a good storyline is absolutely necessary for an fps, it can certainly affect the game overall; if it has an excellent story then the score will go up, if it has a horrible story then the score will most likely go down
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
That is why Counter Strike is so popular, right?
hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
Half-Life 2 had the best story and the most cinematic-quality of any FPS I've played. It blew me away.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
At least it had one though. That's my only gripe with Unreal games, they're ALL about MP. FPS are always best SP or Co-op imo. And like it or not, the Halo series has one of the best storylines of any FPS ever.:D **waits to be flamed**
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
That is why Counter Strike is so popular, right?foxhound_fox

online games are the exception, since they need little to no story at all, the story is made by the online players themselves, and counter strike is a online team fps so it's obvious selling point is online
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spartan070
That is why Counter Strike is so popular, right?foxhound_fox
God knows why that uni-dimensional game is popular... :P
Mozilla2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mozilla2006
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts
The major beef with CnC Generals was that there was no storyline that pissed most of the old CnC fans off.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spartan070
Half-Life 2 had the best story and the most cinematic-quality of any FPS I've played. It blew me away.
hamumu
I agree on cinematic quality but I'd say Perfect Dark 64 is the best FPS shooter ever without question storywise.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
I agree on cinematic quality but I'd say Perfect Dark 64 is the best FPS shooter ever without question storywise.Spartan070

Although, I agree that PD is a great game, I am going to have to say that Thief: The Dark Project trumps PD in terms of story. The whole Thief universe is amazing.
ringuzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ringuzi
Member since 2005 • 958 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]At least it had one though. That's my only gripe with Unreal games, they're ALL about MP. FPS are always best SP or Co-op imo. And like it or not, the Halo series has one of the best storylines of any FPS ever.:D **waits to be flamed**

agreed
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teh_Stevz
Member since 2005 • 5678 Posts
UT tells me differently...
mestizoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 mestizoman
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

no.....

half life 1 = thread failed

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts
Quake 4 is a very underated game, with a great storyline. The voice acting is pretty good and the story really makes u wanna play till the end. I dont know why this game isnt getting as much praise as half life 2. Sure it doesnt have a gravity gun, but its just as diverse. I dont ussually play single play FPS games, but ones with great stories keep me playing till the end.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Think back when you played your first WW2 didn't it seem so much funner since you were fighting for something you believed in. A story line puts you into the game so much more then anything else. MY main thing to back this thing up is to all the people who played Freedom Fighters. I got so much more into the game because of the awesome storyline. Well i guess you could say its not the most realistic storyline, but its believable. Remember when you invade the Tv studios and Scott gives that kick ass speech to all of the people of new york. Right after that moment i liked the game even more. Now a days good fps or tps lacked because of storyline. My main example is Gears of War. I never really got into the game because the storyline was so retarded.

Thoughts.

Mozilla2006

The main character in Freedom Fighters was named Christopher, not Scott.

I really liked the concept for that game.
ninersfan343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ninersfan343
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
story lines meens nothing, the battlefield series doesnt have a story line and its one of the best FPS
GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
Man, I loved how freedom fighters started out. That was probably the best level one there was!
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Regarding FPSes, I don't care for an amazing story. Riddick, Halo, Half Life, and FEAR are exceptions, though.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
Quake 4 is a very underated game, with a great storyline. The voice acting is pretty good and the story really makes u wanna play till the end. I dont know why this game isnt getting as much praise as half life 2. Sure it doesnt have a gravity gun, but its just as diverse. I dont ussually play single play FPS games, but ones with great stories keep me playing till the end.way2funny

I agree, the story in Quake 4 was good... although, the corridor crawling and bland multiplayer got boring really fast.

It did no justice to II.
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts
true. Storyline is very important
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~I think there's a bunch more story to Gears of War then you all think. Once the squeal comes out you'll see, character depth and all will show it's head. (That doesn't mean the second is going to throw it all out though, it could be the third or whatever)~-~