At least we have a real Half-Life game to look forward to

  • 79 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

For anyone out there who doesn't have a thousand bucks to spare to blow on one game, and for those who just enjoy gaming on a flat panel instead of wearing VR glasses, there is Black Mesa to look forward to. A faithful recreation of the original game that ushered in scripted story-telling FPS.

The final chapters of Black Mesa are now done and in open beta for testing.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
the_bi99man

11382

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11382 Posts

Been playing it for years already. Even without the final levels, the steam release of Black Mesa is already the best first person shooter of the last several years.

That said, I'm still ridiculously stoked for HL Alyx, and will definitely be buying a VR set next year. It won't be for "one game", that one game is just the one that finally takes it over the line to be worth it, in my eyes. Same way that anybody makes the eventual decision to buy any game system. Also, anyone who doesn't think that Alyx is going to kick off a huge movement of AAA VR games in the coming years, with real stories and legit gameplay, rather than gimmicks that are just meant to showcase the tech, is in denial about the future.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

Been playing it for years already. Even without the final levels, the steam release of Black Mesa is already the best first person shooter of the last several years.

Totally agree. I had an absolute blast playing this up until Lambda Core and it was just a special experience seeing my nostalgia, the game I played back in '98, rendered in HD graphics.

I can't wait to play through this again with the Xen chapters, then jump over to Half Life 2 and play through it with it's own modernisation mod, called the Mmod.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
the_bi99man

11382

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11382 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: it really is fantastic. It's everything that Half-Life: Source should have been, and then some.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@R4gn4r0k: it really is fantastic. It's everything that Half-Life: Source should have been, and then some.

All I remember from HL: Source is that it had some advanced water and physics that clashed with the rest of the game, because everything else was running in the old engine.

It's literally the only Valve game that I don't own (up until CSGO).

The best thing about HL: Source is that it made a bunch of talented modders think: "Is this the best Valve can do? Let's show them we can do better"

Avatar image for the_bi99man
the_bi99man

11382

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11382 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: yeah, same here. I owned HL Source on my original steam account, back when valve games were all steam was for, but then I started a new account with my Orange Box purchase in 2007, and it's the only valve game I never bothered buying again. Even when I see it on sale for like a buck, and have more than that in my steam wallet from selling trading cards, I'm just like, "why?" I got Black Mesa for a modern version, and if I really want the nostalgia of the OG graphics and level designs, I'll take the OG game.

I think they just didn't do a good job, at the time, communicating what HL:Source was supposed to be. Everybody was disappointed that it wasn't a full-blown remake in the new engine, but we probably shouldn't have thought that was even plausible, at least that soon after they just made HL2.

Avatar image for Planeforger
Planeforger

18254

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18254 Posts

That's odd, since Half-Life: Alyx seems to be a real, full-length Half-Life game.

Why are people so hesitant about it? Is it just because of the tech?

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1035

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1035 Posts

It's great that they're almost done, but I'm more excited for HL:A, tbh.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

587

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 587 Posts

I can't even finish the Xen chapter of Black Mesa after delving into VR with stuff like Boneworks. it's so boring in comparison. Half Life Alyx is going to be crazy

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
foxhound_fox

98353

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98353 Posts

@Planeforger said:

That's odd, since Half-Life: Alyx seems to be a real, full-length Half-Life game.

Why are people so hesitant about it? Is it just because of the tech?

The price of entry. I'll never be able to afford VR, or the computer to run it (at least until it becomes so mainstream, the devices cost merely $100-200), so I'll never get to play it unless one of my friends lends me their setup.

While I understand the need to push the technology, the least they could have done was put out two versions of the game, one focused on VR and the other for us normal folks with a limited gaming budget.

The real shitty part is I've been wanting to see VR in gaming for over 20 years (even more so after MGS2), but now that it's a thing, I can't be a part of it.

That, and I've been waiting very patiently for more HL ever since Episode 2, but now this is a bit of shot to the nuts.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts

I'm playing through it right now again, about the fourth time, and something is off.

While visually what they done with the Source Engine is nothing short of Jesus turning water to wine they'd made changes that messes up the pacing and gunplay.

The first noticeable thing is that the shotgun feels way OP and the magnum feels way under-powered.

The military can kill you in seconds so it's almost always better to keep a distance, which just isn't as fun.

They also changed the voices of the military from that iconic deep-radio chatter to some "dude saying thing".

It's hard to describe alot of it, but it's off.

They did fix the shitty platforming and ladder-attachment. Now instead of that weird crouch shit you just sprint-jump and press "e" to attach to a ladder, no more dumb ass deaths.

Still wouldn't put this above the original Halflife, but just by virtue of sharing the same DNA, it's still better than 90% of the FPS garbage we've had this gen.

Unless Valve have run into a wall several time and now look like HEY YOU GUYS from the Goonies, very little doubt Alyx will be better.

If you've never played the original Halfife or the excellent Opposing Force, still recommend that over Black Mesa, but if you're looking to re-visit it with a different eye, deffo worth playing.

It's a very rare thing to say these days, very rare. But they are honestly undercharging as well, this is a full 12-14 hour game with MP for £14 British pounds, if this was tampons of the modern era they'd be charging £39.99 and it would probably just be a remaster like Halflife: Source.

Shame they can't bring it over to console to maximize bux, they absolutely deserve all the money in the world, as this started out as a passion project with people working for free, expecting nothing.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1035

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1035 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Planeforger said:

That's odd, since Half-Life: Alyx seems to be a real, full-length Half-Life game.

Why are people so hesitant about it? Is it just because of the tech?

The price of entry. I'll never be able to afford VR, or the computer to run it (at least until it becomes so mainstream, the devices cost merely $100-200), so I'll never get to play it unless one of my friends lends me their setup.

While I understand the need to push the technology, the least they could have done was put out two versions of the game, one focused on VR and the other for us normal folks with a limited gaming budget.

The real shitty part is I've been wanting to see VR in gaming for over 20 years (even more so after MGS2), but now that it's a thing, I can't be a part of it.

That, and I've been waiting very patiently for more HL ever since Episode 2, but now this is a bit of shot to the nuts.

VR won't go mainstream until it gets unmissable games though. If this is good, I know I'm going to end up biting before I can afford to.

Embrace the frustration.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@Planeforger said:

That's odd, since Half-Life: Alyx seems to be a real, full-length Half-Life game.

Why are people so hesitant about it? Is it just because of the tech?

The price of entry. I'll never be able to afford VR, or the computer to run it (at least until it becomes so mainstream, the devices cost merely $100-200), so I'll never get to play it unless one of my friends lends me their setup.

While I understand the need to push the technology, the least they could have done was put out two versions of the game, one focused on VR and the other for us normal folks with a limited gaming budget.

The real shitty part is I've been wanting to see VR in gaming for over 20 years (even more so after MGS2), but now that it's a thing, I can't be a part of it.

That, and I've been waiting very patiently for more HL ever since Episode 2, but now this is a bit of shot to the nuts.

VR won't go mainstream until it gets unmissable games though. If this is good, I know I'm going to end up biting before I can afford to.

Embrace the frustration.

They aren't helping matter either by being dumbasses cutting of their own noses and immediately segmenting it to be locked to specific hardware, PSVR and Oculus specifically. PC users can use hacks to get around it, but the fact they need to is demonstrative of the industries short sighted greed.

If this was one of those companies, they would undoubtedly have made Alyx exclusive to Index cutting the audience down to a mere trickle and punishing those who looked for alternatives.

Valve has it's own problems of towers and wires, it's one of the reasons I picked up the Oculus Rift S, it has "1" wire with all the sensors built into the headset. Your room doesn't need turned into NASA headquarters.

Price wise, if you look around and dig, you can almost get them for just over 200 dollars. But they are far lower quality.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1035

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1035 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I'll look into it. Quality doesn't bother me for now. There's no way I can afford Index anytime soon. If HL;A is as good as I'm hoping, I'm just going to have to live with travel-sickness pills and feeling like I'm squinting through a letterbox or w/e.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

46096

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46096 Posts

@Planeforger said:

That's odd, since Half-Life: Alyx seems to be a real, full-length Half-Life game.

Why are people so hesitant about it? Is it just because of the tech?

Yes.

We've reached the point in video gaming culture where we have "old people"--if not literally, then in spirit--and old people tend to whine and complain about the new.

I was listening to an interview with some old, famous guitarist (sorry forgot the name) and he was lamenting about the new, and how the old was better, and the host was indulging this old fart waaaaaaaaaay too much so the whole thing got really out of hand. The host said "Oh you can't replace a guitar" and then the old guy would go "Oh sure you, these young kids have synthesizers. There's no soul!" blah blah blah....

...and that's what the irrational VR haters sounds like. They can't embrace the new and the beautiful so instead of simply accepting that, they have to make it everyone's problem. Furthermore, for some reason, they feel entitled to a new Half-Life game and they feel scorned because it won't be on a flat screen.

VR, like synthesizers, has been around for decades. It's not old, but it's not as new as people think, either, and it won't be replacing anything any time soon. Likewise, traditional game interaction has been around for over half a century, and string instruments have been around for literal centuries, and they are not going any where.

So everyone just stop hating for no reason and calm the **** down.

*Oh and Black Mesa looks dope as hell, can't wait to play it. Actually I've been waiting for Black Mesa longer than I've been waiting for Star Citizen haha

Avatar image for ethic
Ethic

32

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16 Ethic
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

That looks ait, I still want HL2 Episode 3 tho :/
Else I will never know how that one scene will continue, it's killing me!

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

12721

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12721 Posts

Crowbar collective should made Half life 3. they have more talent today than valve.

Avatar image for jeezers
jeezers

4519

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#18 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 4519 Posts

Making half life a VR game after all this time is just stupid

Avatar image for freedomfreak
freedomfreak

51615

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51615 Posts

Will buy when it's finished.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Agreed, doesn't matter if it takes them 20 years. I'd say let Crowbar Collective make the next entry in the Half Life series.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@freedomfreak: Looks like it'll be done some time next year.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

41224

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#22 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41224 Posts

After all these years and HL is still love by older PC gamers even though Valve stop making games due to Steam and until now, they still love Valve. But in any case, HL was my favorite and change the way we play FPS in that sense, and it made FPS popular in Japan of it's time.

Despite I move on from the series, I'm glad Valve found their technology immersion and that being VR and the way Valve wants to go VR, it's their motion capture technology they were looking for. Even though I'm not interested buying Alyx dday one, but I'm too glad to see Valve is back at making games to say the least.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
the_bi99man

11382

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11382 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

While I understand the need to push the technology, the least they could have done was put out two versions of the game, one focused on VR and the other for us normal folks with a limited gaming budget.

They couldn't make a truly new and unique VR game if they did that, though. Looking at the trailer, and just knowing what Valve does when they're actually making a real, full length, AAA single player game, Alyx isn't going to be some gimmicky VR game just made to get people waving their arms like dumbasses, and it's also not going to be like Skyrim or Fallout VR, where they do little more than take standard game functions and remap them so you aim by pointing. I suspect that both exploration/puzzles and combat will be extremely physics-based, with the player needing to push and pull on things, use varying amounts of force, perform relatively complex and precise hand motions, with both hands, really physically interacting with the environment and items, almost constantly.

You just can't do that with a gamepad or mouse/kb.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@the_bi99man said:

@R4gn4r0k: it really is fantastic. It's everything that Half-Life: Source should have been, and then some.

All I remember from HL: Source is that it had some advanced water and physics that clashed with the rest of the game, because everything else was running in the old engine.

It's literally the only Valve game that I don't own (up until CSGO).

The best thing about HL: Source is that it made a bunch of talented modders think: "Is this the best Valve can do? Let's show them we can do better"

Well, Halflife: Source is a port, not a remake, and it wasn't advertised as anything otherwise. Valve probably shouldn't have been charging for it in the first place, should have been free for people who already owned Halflife imo.

Being a remake and reinterpretation Black Mesa has it's own set of problems.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

25523

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25523 Posts

I appreciate the existence of it, but I probably wont bother with it myself. There's a really slow, boring and confusing puzzle there that I always get stuck on. Fucks up the whole game for me. Whenever I think "I should play the original HL" I always end up thinking about that and go "**** it".

No idea if it's actually confusing, or if I'm stupid, but I don't really care. If I have to look up a guide to progress, the game can go **** itself, and I've wasted way too much time with that part.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I'm playing through it right now again, about the fourth time, and something is off.

While visually what they done with the Source Engine is nothing short of Jesus turning water to wine they'd made changes that messes up the pacing and gunplay.

The first noticeable thing is that the shotgun feels way OP and the magnum feels way under-powered.

The military can kill you in seconds so it's almost always better to keep a distance, which just isn't as fun.

They also changed the voices of the military from that iconic deep-radio chatter to some "dude saying thing".

It's hard to describe alot of it, but it's off.

They did fix the shitty platforming and ladder-attachment. Now instead of that weird crouch shit you just sprint-jump and press "e" to attach to a ladder, no more dumb ass deaths.

Still wouldn't put this above the original Halflife, but just by virtue of sharing the same DNA, it's still better than 90% of the FPS garbage we've had this gen.

Unless Valve have run into a wall several time and now look like HEY YOU GUYS from the Goonies, very little doubt Alyx will be better.

If you've never played the original Halfife or the excellent Opposing Force, still recommend that over Black Mesa, but if you're looking to re-visit it with a different eye, deffo worth playing.

It's a very rare thing to say these days, very rare. But they are honestly undercharging as well, this is a full 12-14 hour game with MP for £14 British pounds, if this was tampons of the modern era they'd be charging £39.99 and it would probably just be a remaster like Halflife: Source.

Shame they can't bring it over to console to maximize bux, they absolutely deserve all the money in the world, as this started out as a passion project with people working for free, expecting nothing.

Half Life is a game I used to replay once every year. I stopped doing so because frankly my backlog got too big and there are just so many games releasing all the time.

I think I hold the original Half Life about as dearly as you do, and there is no game like it (besides perhaps Opposing Force).

I feel this Black Mesa is as good as it gets. It's always about different people interpreting things differently. Some guy thinks X should change, another thinks Y should change.

So many people hate Xen, but I personally never had an issue with it. Yeah, I died a lot, yeah I missed jumps a lot. But does that make it a bad chapter? I really don't remember it that way.

I think Black Mesa is the best thing for pleasing purists as well as people who missed out playing one of the best games of all time.

I really hope Alyx turns out excellent, I do. I really wish Valve would find their love for this franchise again.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:

I can't even finish the Xen chapter of Black Mesa after delving into VR with stuff like Boneworks. it's so boring in comparison. Half Life Alyx is going to be crazy

Plenty of great first person VR games to play. You should check out Superhot VR and the new Medal of Honor.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts

Medal of Honor will probably be better than it seems, mainly because we have been fed on a diet of shit for many years. The developer behind it is a good one.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

12721

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#30 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12721 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Medal of Honor will probably be better than it seems, mainly because we have been fed on a diet of shit for many years. The developer behind it is a good one.

well i hope EA let respawn make traditional WW2 MOH game. that would be allied assault of this gen.

respawn has been very impressive. both Titanfall 2 and Jedi fallen order are amazing.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

12721

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12721 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

I really hope Alyx turns out excellent, I do. I really wish Valve would find their love for this franchise again.

Its lose-lose situation.

If AL Alyx will success. more HL game will be VR only.

If it failed. Valve will not bother make any HL game.

in the end. they won, we gamers already lost.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Its lose-lose situation.

If AL Alyx will success. more HL game will be VR only.

If it failed. Valve will not bother make any HL game.

in the end. they won, we gamers already lost.

Imagine a time in 20 years where VR games don't feel bothersome to play. you just wear glasses like you would sunglasses, it wouldn't discomfort you, it would feel normal.

In that case, yeah I want Alyx to succeed and Valve to make lots of games like it. I wouldn't be able to play them now, but I would be able to play them in my best-case scenario of the future.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#33 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Medal of Honor will probably be better than it seems, mainly because we have been fed on a diet of shit for many years. The developer behind it is a good one.

well i hope EA let respawn make traditional WW2 MOH game. that would be allied assault of this gen.

respawn has been very impressive. both Titanfall 2 and Jedi fallen order are amazing.

Respawn making a full fledged Medal of Honor would blow my mind. It would mean the original creators of MOHAA being back at it.

I think I want that even more than a new Jedi: Fallen Order.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

587

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#34 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 587 Posts

I'm just gonna leave this here

Loading Video...
Avatar image for floppydics
floppydics

169

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#35 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 169 Posts

Half Life going VR is going to be the best thing that happened to the half life series. It's going to blow people away for those first time VR users and the change to gameplay and immersion will be off the charts. If it changed to pancake and stayed flat it would be a massive step back for the series. Does anyone truly believe that a new half life would be more immersive as a flat game?

Avatar image for pc_rocks
PC_Rocks

3264

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 3264 Posts

Quite ironic that people who are hating on Valve and praising it don't realize that it exists because of Valve and their general attitude towards gaming/mods and open nature of PC.

Who else would allow someone to mess with their IP?

People are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture apart from why did Valve didn't make 1000 sequels to HL.

EDIT: I would also remind people to not over hype Alyx as well. It could also turn out to be a failure but the good thing is Valve is doing what they do best: taking risks and breaking traditions.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

46096

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#37  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46096 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Quite ironic that people who are hating on Valve and praising it don't realize that it exists because of Valve and their general attitude towards gaming/mods and open nature of PC.

Who else would allow someone to mess with their IP?

People are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture apart from why did Valve didn't make 1000 sequels to HL.

EDIT: I would also remind people to not over hype Alyx as well. It could also turn out to be a failure but the good thing is Valve is doing what they do best: taking risks and breaking traditions.

Well said.

Someone out there needs to take risks, push boundaries, and do some R&D and you know it won't be our publicly-traded so-called AAA game developers at EA, Ubisoft, and Activision doing that.

People should be encouraging and supporting Valve to do this, not being overly critical.

Otherwise we are stuck playing the n'th installments of CoD, Assassin's Creed, and so on for the rest of our lives and I do not want that. I want originality, I want progress, I want to play a different game in a different way than I was ten years ago.

I want Alyx to be a success, of course, but at the same time, if it's not, I won't be upset. Why? Because at least they made an attempt at the new, and places like Valve generally learn from those mistakes and failures and make something even better.

Avatar image for Macutchi
Macutchi

7101

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#38  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7101 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I really hope Alyx turns out excellent, I do. I really wish Valve would find their love for this franchise again.

Its lose-lose situation.

If AL Alyx will success. more HL game will be VR only.

If it failed. Valve will not bother make any HL game.

in the end. they won, we gamers already lost.

it's worse than that mate. if it's a success it'll only encourage others to turn their sp shooters into vr games. next thing you know id are making the next doom a vr game. gaming ruined

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
NoodleFighter

10802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#39 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10802 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@pc_rocks said:

Quite ironic that people who are hating on Valve and praising it don't realize that it exists because of Valve and their general attitude towards gaming/mods and open nature of PC.

Who else would allow someone to mess with their IP?

People are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture apart from why did Valve didn't make 1000 sequels to HL.

EDIT: I would also remind people to not over hype Alyx as well. It could also turn out to be a failure but the good thing is Valve is doing what they do best: taking risks and breaking traditions.

Well said.

Someone out there needs to take risks, push boundaries, and do some R&D and you know it won't be our publicly-traded so-called AAA game developers at EA, Ubisoft, and Activision doing that.

People should be encouraging and supporting Valve to do this, not being overly critical.

Otherwise we are stuck playing the n'th installments of CoD, Assassin's Creed, and so on for the rest of our lives and I do not want that. I want originality, I want progress, I want to play a different game in a different way than I was ten years ago.

I want Alyx to be a success, of course, but at the same time, if it's not, I won't be upset. Why? Because at least they made an attempt at the new, and places like Valve generally learn from those mistakes and failures and make something even better.

Yeah no other major company would allow a fan remake like Valve has. Every other fan remake has been given cease and desist orders and lawsuits. Valve on the other hand were like "So you want to remake one of our games while costing us barely anything and we get a percentage of the money for each sale? Go right ahead!".

Yeah people are too narrow minded of Valve and the big picture of what they're doing. When Steam first came out PC gamers hated it now Steam is the face of PC gaming and made it relevant when everyone else was abandoning it.

Even though Valve failed with their Steam machine attempts their effort alone made Linux gaming way more relevant than it has ever been in those few years with several games both indie and AAA supporting Linux. Even after the fail of Steam machines Valve continues to support Linux gaming with Steam Proton making it an even more viable option for gaming.

Seeing as how some think low sales of Half Life Alyx in its launch month will discourage Valve from pursuing VR again they don't know PC game sales. Valve more than any of us knows how well PC game sales work. Valve knows well enough that initial low sales in the first month won't be enough to discourage them. PC games sell over time it'll take a year or two depending on sales for them to determine it is a failure. I doubt Half Life Alyx will have low sales anyway seeing as how its reveal immediately after caused the Index to be sold out and the Index is a $999 VR headset that is not even needed to play the game since even dirt cheap Windows Mixed Reality headsets are also supported. One of the main points of Half Life Alyx is to get people into the VR ecosystem and it is working. Look up videos on VR headsets and you'll see people commenting that they're there after watching Half Life: Alyx reveal video now.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#40 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Quite ironic that people who are hating on Valve and praising it don't realize that it exists because of Valve and their general attitude towards gaming/mods and open nature of PC.

Who else would allow someone to mess with their IP?

People are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture apart from why did Valve didn't make 1000 sequels to HL.

EDIT: I would also remind people to not over hype Alyx as well. It could also turn out to be a failure but the good thing is Valve is doing what they do best: taking risks and breaking traditions.

Most of the people whining about VR haven't used it, that much is apparent.

Try something like Superhot and you'll find going back to traditional controls shit, no joke.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
DragonfireXZ95

25936

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#41 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25936 Posts

I played a little of Black Mesa and enjoyed it. Been waiting until it's done to start playing through it.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#42 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

Yeah no other major company would allow a fan remake like Valve has. Every other fan remake has been given cease and desist orders and lawsuits. Valve on the other hand were like "So you want to remake one of our games while costing us barely anything and we get a percentage of the money for each sale? Go right ahead!".

Yeah people are too narrow minded of Valve and the big picture of what they're doing. When Steam first came out PC gamers hated it now Steam is the face of PC gaming and made it relevant when everyone else was abandoning it.

Even though Valve failed with their Steam machine attempts their effort alone made Linux gaming way more relevant than it has ever been in those few years with several games both indie and AAA supporting Linux. Even after the fail of Steam machines Valve continues to support Linux gaming with Steam Proton making it an even more viable option for gaming.

Seeing as how some think low sales of Half Life Alyx in its launch month will discourage Valve from pursuing VR again they don't know PC game sales. Valve more than any of us knows how well PC game sales work. Valve knows well enough that initial low sales in the first month won't be enough to discourage them. PC games sell over time it'll take a year or two depending on sales for them to determine it is a failure. I doubt Half Life Alyx will have low sales anyway seeing as how its reveal immediately after caused the Index to be sold out and the Index is a $999 VR headset that is not even needed to play the game since even dirt cheap Windows Mixed Reality headsets are also supported. One of the main points of Half Life Alyx is to get people into the VR ecosystem and it is working. Look up videos on VR headsets and you'll see people commenting that they're there after watching Half Life: Alyx reveal video now.

Yeah Valve are nice guys. They also suck at making games. They teased a new Half Life game in 2007, and now, 12 years later they make one that's not even the sequel that was teased.

Steam machines are forgotten now, the steam controller didn't catch on... and so on.

Nobody knows Valve or Steam for hardware, people know these names for software.

And spending over a 1000 bucks just to play some software. That seems a bit much in my honest opinion.

I don't dispair though, at least I have a real half life game to look forward to!

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
NoodleFighter

10802

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#43 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10802 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah Valve has bad management with games. Team Fortress 2 is a prime example of this. There hasn't even been Saxxy Awards for 2 years now. I'm still waiting on the final TF2 comic issue. You'd think with Overwatch making the genre popular again they'd try to boost support for TF2 to compete better against it. At one point there was only like 2 or 3 people working on TF2.

The Steam controller was doing well during its first couple of years. It sold 5 While the Xbox 360/One and Dualshock 3/4 controllers drastically outnumber the Steam controller it is the 3rd most popular controller type with 1.5 million users having them connected. It outnumbers all 3rd party PC controllers combined. Pretty impressive in my opinion for a controller that is not of the traditional style very different to what gamers are use to and is very new in comparison to the others and has very little native support for it. According to the leaks Uninspiredcup shared on it with the possibility of their being a version 2 Steam controller with Index features implemented I wouldn't cross the Steam controller out yet as a failure. Perhaps the Valve selling their remaining for $5 will spark peoples interest into the controllers that wouldn't have tried them otherwise if they were normal prices. And even if the Steam controller doesn't continue on it has helped Valve progress their controller mapping software and helped using a controller for games that don't support or games that don't support Xinput more accessible.

You don't need a $1000 vr headset to play Half Life: Alyx. You can play it on much cheaper headsets.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

33143

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33143 Posts

@NoodleFighter: It seems like Valve likes giving up on things.

And just like Google, they are starting this trend of launching new stuff like hardware (steam machines) and giving up on it.

You could get their Valve VR headset, get one game from them and then be left wanting another and never getting it.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
Grey_Eyed_Elf

6946

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#45 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6946 Posts

Stop hating... This looks f***ing great.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

12721

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#46 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12721 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Stop hating... This looks f***ing great.

Loading Video...

it looks meh. hands floating in air again. a cheap indie game make by valve.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@NoodleFighter: It seems like Valve likes giving up on things.

Wait, what?

Team Fortress 2 came out in 2007 and in was development since 1998 and is still getting support today, it's probably the most continually supported FPS by a developer in existence, period, with all of that content being free.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Stop hating... This looks f***ing great.

Loading Video...

Thanks for posting this, vid totally passed me by.

Let people hate, it's the same folk who claimed it would be a 15 minute tech demo, when it's released, gets rapturous reviews and sales records for a VR title they will get smoked once again.

Keep diggin bros.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

12721

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#49 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12721 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@NoodleFighter: It seems like Valve likes giving up on things.

Wait, what?

Team Fortress 2 came out in 2007 and in was development since 1998 and is still getting support today, it's probably the most continually supported FPS by a developer in existence, period, with all of that content being free.

they have given up on traditional SP games since 2004 half life 2. and its been 2 decades.

HL2 EP1 was something that could sell as free epilogue. EP2 was great expansion but it was just short expansion. to the point they given up to Half life franchise as they annonunced EP3 and never released.

made 2 most generic coop shooters left 4 dead. only good thing they made after HL was portal but after 2011 portal 2. they again given up to SP games.

now they bring this so called Half life to sell thier VR. they gave up.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

38589

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#50 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38589 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@NoodleFighter: It seems like Valve likes giving up on things.

Wait, what?

Team Fortress 2 came out in 2007 and in was development since 1998 and is still getting support today, it's probably the most continually supported FPS by a developer in existence, period, with all of that content being free.

they have given up on traditional SP games since 2004 half life 2. and its been 2 decades.

HL2 EP1 was something that could sell as free epilogue. EP2 was great expansion but it was just short expansion. to the point they given up to Half life franchise as they annonunced EP3 and never released.

made 2 most generic coop shooters left 4 dead. only good thing they made after HL was portal but after 2011 portal 2. they again given up to SP games.

now they bring this so called Half life to sell thier VR. they gave up.

Absolute bastards.

Should send them a very stern email.