Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#103 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

Ubisoft was right the best place to play this game is on the Xbox One X! lol

Xbox One has hardware DRM from year 2013 while PC world has AMD/Intel/MS/Valve still figuring out which standards to support.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

Been seeing people complain about Denuvo for years, but never had any issues with it myself. Might be just another shitty optimization job by Ubi, which is to be expected.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Xbox One X is the clear winner here.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#106 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

Even if its not the DRM, releasing a game that pushes CPUs to 100% is just bad. Ubi is gonna have to fix this otherwise you will start hearing reports about PCs breaking down because of higher temperatures running AC Origins.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Dark_sageX said:

Even if its not the DRM, releasing a game that pushes CPUs to 100% is just bad. Ubi is gonna have to fix this otherwise you will start hearing reports about PCs breaking down because of higher temperatures running AC Origins.

Even though we're getting 100% CPU usage it doesn't actually stress the CPU all that much like a stress test would. My temps never go over 60c.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#108 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

@Jebus213: Perhaps but I don't think I'll risk it lol. I did a stress test a few days ago using XTU and at 100% my CPU temp rocketed to 90C. I plan on diledding my CPU and hope that would knock the temp down to 70C, its pure coincidence that I came across this thread a few days later. I wasn't planning on getting ACO until later down the line (with DLC and everything for discount price, because **** season pass and microtranasctions), but now I don't want to get this game at all, not until Ubisoft fixes this, I don't want to kill my PC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@Dark_sageX said:

But they are busy working on Assassin's Creed DLC... how can they fix this ?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
@Dark_sageX said:

@Dark_sageX said:

@Jebus213: Perhaps but I don't think I'll risk it lol. I did a stress test a few days ago using XTU and at 100% my CPU temp rocketed to 90C. I plan on diledding my CPU and hope that would knock the temp down to 70C, its pure coincidence that I came across this thread a few days later. I wasn't planning on getting ACO until later down the line (with DLC and everything for discount price, because **** season pass and microtranasctions), but now I don't want to get this game at all, not until Ubisoft fixes this, I don't want to kill my PC.

Full utilization isn't what causes temperature increases. That's a result of energy output from frequency and voltage, much more from the voltage needed to run that frequency, especially when overclocking. 100% utilization is only a measure of activity, not performance and energy output. Any CPU should be operating on its default clock speed and voltage at full capacity without exceeding typical temps for its model. Unless it was an inefficient design in architecture to begin with and/or has a high TDP requiring a lot of power just for its default clock speeds.

Full (or near full) CPU utilization is actually a good for getting the most out of the game engine. Of course that can lead to bottlenecks if it's a mis-pairing (low tier CPU with high tier GPU) but that's a separate issue. All PC gamers make do with what they can afford.

But again to drive the point, no game (any software really, if we were talking about, say video editing) is "crippling" any CPU by pushing 100% of it's resources. They're all made to be used to their fullest potential, and in the case of unlocked chips even further through overclocking. It would only be a a concern if a game was pushing a CPU past its thermal threshold (assuming proper cooling solution is in place), which even then would lead to throttling before any damage. Most modern CPU's have that protection feature built in.

But in your case where it's the stress test that's resulting in these 90C temps, it doesn't matter that the chip is running at 100% (again they're all designed to run at full capacity) that shouldn't lead to such high temps. In all stress tests, what ever the chip the program is going to push it to 100% and should expect to operate under full load within typical temp ranges. So we'd need to look at;

* What CPU are we talking about here?
* Is it overclocked, to what GHz?
* How much voltage are you running for that overclock?
* What cooler are you using? And any other case fans for interior airflow?
* If not overclocked and didn't even touch the voltage settings... then why stress test in the first place?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Dark_sageX said:

If your CPU setup has 90C at 100 percent usage, then your PC's cooling is insufficient or your CPU's thermals being generated are too high for the overclock and cooling solution.

My old Core i7-4790K (4.6 Ghz boost mode/dual core, 4.3 Ghz all cores active) PC has water cooling solution to sustain ~100 percent usage. All my desktop PCs has water cooling solution. I need a larger water cooler for 4.5 Ghz all cores active i.e. rockets to ~90C at 4.5 Ghz and reboots after 10 minutes stress test.

Not all CPUs are made equally i.e. silicon lottery.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Not a problem for me since I don’t buy Ubishit games anymore.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@walloftruth said:
@Netret0120 said:

Stuff like this is exactly why people end up pirating games.

The pirated version would run way better and would have gotten rid of this useless DRM that got cracked day one.

Punishing the actual paying customers with this.

1. Cracking games usually doesn't remove/turn off the DRM.

DRM effectively stops cracking.

So DRM has to be removed to be able to crack a game.

That's not how cracking works. Most DRM's are directly tied to the game's code, unless you have the source code to the game you're not gonna be able to fully remove most DRM's without rewriting most of the game's code. Most cracks simply stop the DRM from calling back home to check if the user has a legitimate license and fool it into thinking that the game has been bought.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@ronvalencia: Yeah...the lottery sucks. My 4790k (waiting for 8700k to come in stock before upgrade) runs really hot. 280mm cls, still hits near 80c at 4.6. I live in a hot desert though too, so ambient is high...but still. That's pretty hot for a tiny overclock with such a huge cooler.