Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 8763 Posts

And all of them prior to Black Flag were also terrible.

For some odd reason, I see it being hailed as the best and perhaps only good AC game when all of the complaints regarding the series are especially prevalent with this one.

• Lack of a combat system that is more than one button
  • Way too easy
  • No engaging side activites
  • Boring real world parts
  • Barebones stealth mechanics
  • Uninspired and predictable mission structure

So what exactly makes it much better than 3 or Unity? I admit 3 had probably the most boring opening of all of them but seems to me it suffers from the exact same problems as all the others. Black Flag was mildly fun because of the piracy and Odyssey and Origin at least attempted to make something resembling an actual combat system and varied quests/missions a little.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 10775 Posts

I knew this 10 years ago when i played it first and my reaction was its terrible.

10 years later finally people realize how bad it was. AC3 was better in every single way and so was AC4 which was only great game in series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

I knew this 10 years ago when i played it first and my reaction was its terrible.

10 years later finally people realize how bad it was. AC3 was better in every single way and so was AC4 which was only great game in series.

Correct.

Only good part when you're not playing Assassins Creed but on the boat playing an inferior Wind Waker/Phantom Hour Glass.

It's marketed well and masks it's mediocre gameplay behind flash production values.

It fails as an action game, it fails as stealth game, it world fails at exploration.

It's the video game equivalent of a THOT.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 10775 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Correct.

Only good part when you're not playing Assassins Creed but on the boat playing an inferior Wind Waker/Phantom Hour Glass.

It's marketed well and masks it's mediocre gameplay behind flash production values.

It fails as an action game, it fails as stealth game, it world fails at exploration.

It's the video game equivalent of a THOT.

Batman arkham asylum was released same year and was nearly better in every single way.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44633 Posts

It hasn't aged well, but the Ezio saga of AC are some of the best games in the series in their time.

Black Flag is the worst, get's waaaaaaaaay too much praise. Terrible characters, too.

Unity is arguably the best in the entire series, but is completely overlooked for some reason. Best character since Ezio, great story, best combination of stealth with action, neat weapons, and good incorporation of the precursor lore and stuff.

The new games, Origins and Odyssey, are good but I don't think you can really consider them AC games at this point.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 804 Posts

I defintely agree with you on the "way too easy" and "Lack of a combat system that is more than one button" . These problems apply to all Assassin's Creed games . Any enemy can be beaten by using the overpowered counter button. And if you are surrounded by 10 enemies? No problem, just throw a smoke bomb and start executing. It really is the only weapon you need.

That being said, I still think that Assassin's Creed has very strong production value and pretty graphics, which makes it worth playing. But good gameplay? Not really.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2550 Posts

I stopped playing Assassin's Creed long ago, and yes the gameplay across the board is terrible for all of these games.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaydan
@pmanden said:

That being said, I still think that Assassin's Creed has very strong production value and pretty graphics, which makes it worth playing.

And this is what's wrong with the gaming industry and why we keep getting the types of games we don't want. People will always favor graphics and production values over gameplay, and we'll send the message through sales for companies to keep making these shitty games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11772 Posts

@Juub1990: the series really sucks. I was so disappointed by 1+2... not at all what it could have been (and they had nice graphics and teased interesting ideas)

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6161 Posts

Assassins Creed is a chore. Played Black Flag, but mainly for trophies & pirate history. Have Syndicate on PS4 & other games get way more attention. Ubisoft has made too many of them. People say Odyssey & Origins are good, but again the games are so time consuming. Ubisoft needs to pause the series for Generation 9 Please & Thank you.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18496 Posts

I really enjoyed the ezio trilogy. I went to Rome and could navigate where I was because AC Nerd skillz

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

A good story and characters, that's what it had.

And AC1 was garbage so 2 looked way better.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pmanden

@jaydan: You have a point. I sometimes miss the 8-bit days where it was all about gameplay. Nowadays, it's like the movie world has taken over the gaming industry. As an example, look at the game trailers from the last E3. 90% of the time they show pretty cut-scenes or other fancy but unplayable stuff. Now much actual gameplay is shown, because it apparently doesn't interest the audience?

I do like pretty graphics, but the game developers should spend more time on fine-tuning gameplay instead of creating fancy Hollywood cut-scenes.

Maybe in 10-20 years movies and games will merge into one genre?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan

@pmanden said:

@jaydan: You have a point. I sometimes miss the 8-bit days where it was all about gameplay. Nowadays, it's like the movie world has taken over the gaming industry. As an example, look at the game trailers from the last E3. 90% of the time they show pretty cut-scenes or other fancy but unplayable stuff. Now much actual gameplay is shown, because it apparently doesn't interest the audience?

I do like pretty graphics, but the game developers should spend more time on fine-tuning gameplay instead of creating fancy Hollywood cut-scenes.

Maybe in 10-20 years movies and games will merge into one genre?

This is what always baffles me over the attitude of the modern gamer.

While I understand the importance of technological advances in gaming, that should be less emphasized by the gamer as a definer in whether or not they make a purchase. I have played enough shitty games regrettably because they had pretty graphics.

If we as consumers were way more strict on gameplay principles and values, the entire industry would be in a much better place; but no, it's about pushing pixels these days.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35725 Posts

This is the reason people thought it was a good game

"I enjoyed the story so that makes it a good game."

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 6938 Posts

Heathen.

Nah you are probably right but AC1 was so garbage it made 2 look like a masterpiece. I think the game gets such a high praise only because of the main character.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38660 Posts

Black Flag is still one of my favorite AC games around.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6246 Posts

Hating a decade year old game

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 31729 Posts

Assassin's Creed 2 is a better version of the first Assassin's Creed

But the current gen games, including Unity, are better than all of them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Assassin's Creed 2 is a better version of the first Assassin's Creed

But the current gen games, including Unity, are better than all of them.

Worlds tallest something something...

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#21 with_teeth26  Online
Member since 2007 • 9682 Posts

2 (and the Ezio games in general) are definitely overrated. the story and setting are cool but the gameplay was not enjoyable at all.

Black Flag is honestly the only game in the series I truly enjoyed.

the newer ones have improved their mechanics but they feel kinda flat/lifeless somehow. they are also super bloated with all the RPG stuff and suffer from a lot of dialogue with bad voice acting.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28742 Posts

I really enjoyed it myself. 🤷‍♂️

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 6905 Posts

they were all varying degrees of crap until black flag, but it's not aged well.

ac1 was good for the first couple of hours for pure novelty factor; before the days when every ubisoft game was built in that way. whichever game had you pick and deliver flowers in one of the early missions was the worst

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 31729 Posts

@uninspiredcup: No, I genuinely think Assassin's Creed Origins is a good game with deep gameplay mechanics and is well worth a play.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 133 Posts

1, 2 and Brotherhood are the only ones I like. 3 was beyond tedious, and Black Flag was meh. I only bought Unity to benchmark my new PC. Haven't touched the series since. Assassin's Creed 2 is still one of the best games I've ever played though

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#26  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 1460 Posts

I abandoned the Series after the first one, and even when i heard good things about the second one I didn't find it appealing enough to give it a try.

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

Black Flag is best.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1351 Posts

I've never considered any of them the greatest games, but I've played every single one, cause I like them.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10543 Posts

What exactly is the story of Assassin's Creed and can I play the newer one without playing the original trilogy? The only Assassin's Creed games I got are Black Flag, Unity and Origins.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54048 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

What exactly is the story of Assassin's Creed and can I play the newer one without playing the original trilogy? The only Assassin's Creed games I got are Black Flag, Unity and Origins.

They're so disjointed at this point, that you can go nuts. The original trilogy carried a modern story along with the memory parts (majority of gameplay,) but newer games are kind of on a single-game basis. There may be very minor modern day parts, but you'll be more than fine.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 1562 Posts

Assassins Creed 2 was the first game in the series that got me into Assassins Creed. I tried Assassins Creed but found it too boring and difficult at the time. Assassins Creed 2 at least fixed everything that I hated about Assassins Creed. I think I just got draw into the story and characters and as I explored Venice in the game, I just fell in love with the game. Sure the gameplay is a bit easy but I enjoyed it when it came out. I tried Assassins Creed 3 but it was terrible and the bugs in the game ruined it. I played Assassins Creed Black Flag and I liked being a pirate and the setting. Might go back and actually beat it. Got Assassins Creed Origins and it feels like Ubisoft fixed all the problems of the previous games. I haven't gotten far in Origins but so far I am enjoying the new combat controls and being in Egypt. I heard Odyssey is more of the same Origins so I'll probably pass on that.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 3990 Posts

I always find these threads odd when randoms are late to playing a game and act like they’ve had some grand revelation that no one else is seeing. You didn’t like the game, most people did. Get over yourself.

Also the combat has 3 buttons so you’re factually wrong as well. Nicely done.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1048 Posts

I enjoyed 2, the real abomination was AC3...that thing was a disgrace.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15147 Posts

Yeah, no. The game was great and I loved the series (up until Unity and again starting with Origins). I will agree that Black Flag was freaking awesome tho, it was probably my favorite when it came out.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1164 Posts

Origins/Odyssey are awesome.

2/4 = Good with some flaws.

The rest are trash.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 8763 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6: Hard day at work?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3461 Posts

Origins was great I enjoyed unity and syndicate my favorite out of the original games was brotherhood.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19368 Posts

Yeah I never liked the original AC games.

Black Flag is easily the best in the series for me too.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5394 Posts

I played AC2 years ago, thought the game was very fun and interesting. Its not an overly deep game, but it was entertaining as hell imo.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pmanden

@vfighter: And that is essentially what Assassin's Creed games are about. It is like playing a movie, a good movie.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 29 Posts

The first one was a technical marvel. The combat is decent, not good enough to build a game around but it gets the job done. The parkour was flawed but interesting. A flawed game for sure but still fairly impressive.

The 2nd one made a lot of improvements to the 1st one. I'd say most of the praised was deserved. Ofcourse it's not going to be as impressive with a million sequels and plenty of games that have imitated it since. Brotherhood and Revelations is where the games started to get really bloated, but they were decent entries.

The modern portion of the series has been malarkey since 2/Brotherhood so I'll give you that.

3 has plenty of issues. Black Flag was good enough, I get why people like it. Unity is possibly underrated - (I need to play it some more) - I'd say most of the negativity was due to technical issues and franchise fatigue. Never played Syndicate.

As for Origins, it is a garbage RPG wannabe and I think I might be done with the series until they do another reboot.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5430 Posts

Black Flag is probably my least favorite AC game... but to each their own.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24517 Posts

My experience with the series:

AC1 I thought was good. It was no Prince of Persia, but fine, I'll take it. It was like an open world PoP with dumbed down acrobatic moves.

AC2 improved upon some things, but was largely the same. Became a bit tired with it before I finished it, but overall thought it was pretty good.

AC3 was just boring. Black Flag was boring.

The AC series has been the exact same with every iteration since. The gameplay didn't evolve nearly enough to not become stale. I ignored the series up until AC: Origins, since many said it's very different to other AC games. I played the game and noticed that was 100% bullshit, as it was the same game I had already played, but set in Egypt. The addition of loot and skills was just an extra annoyance.

Swore to myself to never touch the series again after that.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5363 Posts

I’ve always viewed the Assassins Creed franchise as shallow and generic and one played by people who don’t really play games. Just the causal player who only enjoys FIFA, Madden, Call of Duty, etc

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 844 Posts

@Juub1990: You have to take into account when it was released. At the time AC2 was a good game but the problem is it took a long time for the series to evolve.

Blackflag to me was also terribly overrated as the main missions were some of the worse in the franchise. I think there were around a dozen tailing missions when I had to stay in a bubble and listen to a conversation.