Assassin's Creed IV Wii U Footage (Looks great!)

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@TheKingIAm said:

@ChubbyGuy40: How so? The wii eww cpu is weaker, the ram is slower, and the gpu is a mixed bag at this point. According to the folks at Beyond3d, the gpu is only 160 gflops which is significantly less than the ps3 and 360, tho it's probably more efficient than those two, it's still pathetic for a next gen console. My phone is 128 gflops for comparison

Weaker than PS4 and XB1, but not Cell or whatever 360 has. Gigaherts isn't everything, and the CPU in PS4 and XB1 is actually really pathetic. RAM is slower than PS4, but not 360/PS3. GPU is stronger and supports more features. We don't know the amount of gflops it is, that was never confirmed by anyone. Not to mention that gflop count isnt universal.

@MFDOOM1983 said:

I neither implied(check the credit) or said this dev working on Watch Dogs represented Ubisoft, you did.

Yea, the only major publisher giving Wii-U any decent support is suddenly untrustworthy when it comes to statements on wii-u's hardware.

Come on man, that was just in the last post. Stop going in circles.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

I value digital foundry's and certain people in games media opinions higher on these matters than a couple of forum posters I don't know. Posters that have one version of the game with nothing to compare to but other people's opinions. People that lack the equipment or know how needed for technical analysis. I trust people who have their name attached to published work instead of a username. So, no, I don't consider forum posts from somebody I don't know comparable to a quote from a digital foundry article.

I understand it can be hard to keep things straight in these long quote chains, but if you need me to refresh your memory, I will. Someone(might have been you) said that Wii-U was significantly more powerful than the HD twins, so I posted a quote of one of the developers of watchdogs saying that wii-u is between last gen and next gen, but closer to current gen. Hence the 'doesn't said significantly more powerful' statement. You protested and said that a developer who has only made games on Nintendo console begs to differ. Surprising...no, not really.

Yea, the only major publisher giving Wii-U any decent support is suddenly untrustworthy when it comes to statements on wii-u's hardware. But the dev who only makes games on Nintendo platforms is completely unbiased. Yea, they have nothing to benefit from by attempting to place wii-u into a brighter light. Not like this small dev invested any money into the platform.

So you're telling me 3d land, which released 9 months prior to NSMB2 and had two holiday sales periods to one managed to outsell it? If you avg. out the sales by the number of months each title has been on the market for, then you'd see that NSMB2 is outpacing 3D land. 428k vs. 345k per month to

Historically speaking 2d marios have had longer legs at retail, too

These teams have already spent additional resources creating and incorporating new graphical effects into the pc and next gen versions of multiplats. If they aren't present, then Wii-U not being about to handle them would be the logical assumption, right?

Or you could stop refusing to acknowledge the bonuses the Wii-U version of Arkham Origins has over other versions.

The developer who spends on their time on one platform knows more than a multiplat developer. That's not a surprise. They don't claim it to be PS4 level but it is a leap above current. Not sure why that's so difficult for you to accept. Oh wait, it's because you refuse to think there can be anything good about Wii-U since your attitude is always negative towards it.

Activision and WB Games is quite active on Wii-U as well, but one developer under Ubisoft doesn't speak for them as a whole.

If it had the selling power of previous titles, it would've caught up by now. 3D Land has pretty good selling power as well.

3D Land isn't like the previous 3D titles.

The only logical assumption is that developers/publishers don't see the financial benefit of putting extra work beyond Gamepad features on their multiplats at the moment. It's not some sort of crazy conspiracy or inferior hardware. It's a simple business decision. The teams doing the PC and Wii-U versions could be totally separate teams.t

I don't need to acknowledge any of the other "bonuses" because we have been arguing over the technical aspects of the game, not if the gamepad features have any merit. This is what you quoted me saying. " I'm talking about resolution, framerate, load times, aliasing, etc." Stop changing the subject, please.

Leap is a very broad term. Is a leap the same as significant, marginal or is it somewhere in-between? You never quoted them, so I'm not sure what they actually said, but, the Watch Dog dev painted a clearer picture. If current gen and next gen are at both ends of the spectrum, then wii-u would fall somewhere closer to current gen than next gen.

Uh, that's not how games with long tails work. NSMB2 is outselling 3d land per month based on averages, so in time it should outsell 3d land if they continue at their current pace.

FYI Watch dogs lead platform is PC. All consoles versions are ports. Porting is split between three different teams: 360/ps3, wii-u and ps4/xb1. Ubisoft is actually putting more resources into the game by having 3 different console versions in production. The easy and cheapest route would be using the ps3/360 code as the base for the Wii-U version.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 ChubbyGuy40

@MFDOOM1983 said:

I don't need to acknowledge any of the other "bonuses" because we have been arguing over the technical aspects of the game, not if the gamepad features have any merit. This is what you quoted me saying. " I'm talking about resolution, framerate, load times, aliasing, etc." Stop changing the subject, please.

Leap is a very broad term. Is a leap the same as significant, marginal or is it somewhere in-between? You never quoted them, so I'm not sure what they actually said, but, the Watch Dog dev painted a clearer picture. If current gen and next gen are at both ends of the spectrum, then wii-u would fall somewhere closer to current gen than next gen.

FYI Watch dogs lead platform is PC. All consoles versions are ports. Porting is split between three different teams: 360/ps3, wii-u and ps4/xb1. Ubisoft is actually putting more resources into the game by having 3 different console versions in production. The easy and cheapest route would be using the ps3/360 code as the base for the Wii-U version.

You need to acknowledge that the issues surrounding launch ports is either the result simply being a launch title or a rushed and lazy job, and games like AC4 and Arkham Origins is what happens when you put a dedicated team on it.

Leap, noticeable improvement. They've said it once and we haven't even seen if their claim is true. We know the 360/PS3 version of Watch Dogs looks like ass because of that Aisha trailer, and we've seen the PS4 version has some downgrades from the PC version. Why not wait until the game is out to see if their words hold any weight instead of clinging onto them as some sort of definitive truth? If the Watch Dog dev painted a clear picture of what the Wii-U could do, then a lot of technical questions people have had about the ability of Wii-U's hardware would've been answered (surprise, none were.)

That's what they say but we never know if it's true. For all we know they could pull an EA and switched lead to consoles. The 360/PS3 version is a port of the source that's used for PS4/XB1/PC, but we don't know which one the Wii-U is. The cheap and easy route would be to use the last gen version, but then it doesn't take any advantage of the newer features of the GPU or CPU and therefor gimping what could be done. The PC version will probably just be the same as XB1/PS4 with the standard additions as well as TXAA and other effects Nvidia has them add in.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 MFDOOM1983

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

@TheKingIAm said:

@ChubbyGuy40: How so? The wii eww cpu is weaker, the ram is slower, and the gpu is a mixed bag at this point. According to the folks at Beyond3d, the gpu is only 160 gflops which is significantly less than the ps3 and 360, tho it's probably more efficient than those two, it's still pathetic for a next gen console. My phone is 128 gflops for comparison

Weaker than PS4 and XB1, but not Cell or whatever 360 has. Gigaherts isn't everything, and the CPU in PS4 and XB1 is actually really pathetic. RAM is slower than PS4, but not 360/PS3. GPU is stronger and supports more features. We don't know the amount of gflops it is, that was never confirmed by anyone. Not to mention that gflop count isnt universal.

@MFDOOM1983 said:

I neither implied(check the credit) or said this dev working on Watch Dogs represented Ubisoft, you did.

Yea, the only major publisher giving Wii-U any decent support is suddenly untrustworthy when it comes to statements on wii-u's hardware.

Come on man, that was just in the last post. Stop going in circles.

I can see how you can misconstrue my statement, but my quote was very clear that the person I quoted was a watch dog developer, not Ubisoft as a whole. You were the person who originally said "Why trust what Ubisoft says though?" In regards to the quote. Implying that that one person represented Ubisoft when I never did.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#105 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Assassin's Creed IV is the only game I'm getting for my PS4 at launch. Was considering Killzone but I've decided to wait for a price drop on that.

If I wasn't getting a PS4 though, I'd be getting the game for Wii U.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By MFDOOM1983

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

You need to acknowledge that the issues surrounding launch ports is either the result simply being a launch title or a rushed and lazy job, and games like AC4 and Arkham Origins is what happens when you put a dedicated team on it.

Leap, noticeable improvement. They've said it once and we haven't even seen if their claim is true. We know the 360/PS3 version of Watch Dogs looks like ass because of that Aisha trailer, and we've seen the PS4 version has some downgrades from the PC version. Why not wait until the game is out to see if their words hold any weight instead of clinging onto them as some sort of definitive truth? If the Watch Dog dev painted a clear picture of what the Wii-U could do, then a lot of technical questions people have had about the ability of Wii-U's hardware would've been answered (surprise, none were.)

That's what they say but we never know if it's true. For all we know they could pull an EA and switched lead to consoles. The 360/PS3 version is a port of the source that's used for PS4/XB1/PC, but we don't know which one the Wii-U is. The cheap and easy route would be to use the last gen version, but then it doesn't take any advantage of the newer features of the GPU or CPU and therefor gimping what could be done. The PC version will probably just be the same as XB1/PS4 with the standard additions as well as TXAA and other effects Nvidia has them add in.

We're still missing any comparisons from reputable sources that support your "best console version" claim. Keep in mind that we're talking about origins. I noticed that you're having issues staying on topic again.

Actually, we don't know how the game will look on ps3/360 because they never specified(based on my quick research) which version that trailer was running on. Here's a thread on it with twitter responses from the creative director of the game. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639303 It could have been the Wii-U or xb1 version for all we know. We've have only seen the ps4 and pc versions running thus far. The only people still left pretending Wii-U is comparable to next gen consoles are a subset of sheep who feel the need to defend their purchases. Don't worry, it took awhile for your type to admit wii wasn't a gimped pos, too. The phrase looks like 360 games in sd was used a lot. Lol fun times.

We have numerous quotes from devs going on record about Wii-U's hardware shortcomings. Devs like Gearbox, 4A Games, tekken team, Ubisoft Montreal, and Dynasty Warriors team. So, this notion that there's any question about Wii-U's hardware capabilities is unfounded. We know that Wii-U is better at somethings(GPU and RAM amount) and worse at others( CPU and possibly RAM speed).

Well, we do know that the game has been in development for 5 years. Started on ps3/360, then switched to PC as the lead platform a year or two later. The team focused on high-end pc hardware because they didn't know how next generation hardware would turn out. I don't see why they would lie about which platform is lead. Ubisoft never has sucked up to pc games after all, so would they start now. As you said, their brand is based on consoles(360/ps3).

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 MFDOOM1983

@Zassimick said:

Assassin's Creed IV is the only game I'm getting for my PS4 at launch. Was considering Killzone but I've decided to wait for a price drop on that.

If I wasn't getting a PS4 though, I'd be getting the game for Wii U.

Target is having a buy two, get one free special on PS4 software. If you live in the states.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

Any professional analysis? I wouldn't be surprised if it looked better, though I feel the PS4 version is the one to get...

For consoles... Muahahaha!

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@MFDOOM1983: I saw that last night and I really want to go after that deal, but I live a ways away from a Target. There may be a chance for me to take advantage of it with some manipulating of events... Thanks for reminding me!

kazrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 kazrium
Member since 2006 • 1632 Posts

The Wii-U is by far superior to the Wii, This is well known, so it should not come as a shock that these visuals can be accomplished. Do not stand against Nintendo. Nintendo will win.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ChubbyGuy40

@MFDOOM1983 said:

We're still missing any comparisons from reputable sources that support your "best console version" claim. Keep in mind that we're talking about origins. I noticed that you're having issues staying on topic again.

Actually, we don't know how the game will look on ps3/360 because they never specified(based on my quick research) which version that trailer was running on. Here's a thread on it with twitter responses from the creative director of the game. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639303 It could have been the Wii-U or xb1 version for all we know. We've have only seen the ps4 and pc versions running thus far. The only people still left pretending Wii-U is comparable to next gen consoles are a subset of sheep who feel the need to defend their purchases. Don't worry, it took awhile for your type to admit wii wasn't a gimped pos, too. The phrase looks like 360 games in sd was used a lot. Lol fun times.

We have numerous quotes from devs going on record about Wii-U's hardware shortcomings. Devs like Gearbox, 4A Games, tekken team, Ubisoft Montreal, and Dynasty Warriors team. So, this notion that there's any question about Wii-U's hardware capabilities is unfounded. We know that Wii-U is better at somethings(GPU and RAM amount) and worse at others( CPU and possibly RAM speed).

Well, we do know that the game has been in development for 5 years. Started on ps3/360, then switched to PC as the lead platform a year or two later. The team focused on high-end pc hardware because they didn't know how next generation hardware would turn out. I don't see why they would lie about which platform is lead. Ubisoft never has sucked up to pc games after all, so would they start now. As you said, their brand is based on consoles(360/ps3).

The only thing a reputable source would do is use that neogaf thread as a source. Keep denying something so minor. I'm trying to make a point, but you're in complete denial about anything positive for the Wii-U. Also important to remember what Nintendo screwed up the early SDKs, which was a huge, well-known issue.

We aren't talking about the Wii and I don't remember saying that. Quite hypocritical of you to go off-topic (again.)

Funny Gearbox says that, cause it ended up getting the definitive version of A:CM. That quote was also said before the final specs were even out (it even says so on that page,) but no one is denying it's an inbetween console. 4A devs are disappointed with the Espresso but never denied it couldn't run anything. They just didn't have the resources for it. All the Tekken dev said is that the clock was kinda low, and if Marcan is correct than it is kinda low. His team is also helping work on SSB, so his opinion will probably change. Your AC3 quote was talking about the quality of the game, not the hardware. Dynasty Warrior lead said the CPU was a challenge and the FPS was suffering, but then goes on to say that it's a challenge to overcome, not that it's impossible to fix. If you want some insight as to why the early ports had issues you can check out this thread. (IIRC this guy is a programmer but doesn't work on games, at least not Nintendo platforms.) I think the people who spent their own money just to get die shots for everyone would know something. DF doesn't even know everything contained on the chips. We can't figure it out and only one dev is willing to give hints at what it can do. (which you refuse to acknowledge their credentials.)

Ubisoft gave PC gamers a different version of GRAW and completely removed their DRM in favor of a much better, cross-platform alternative. PC isn't their largest market, so why would PC still be lead?

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#112 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Well yeah, the PS3 and 360 version's look great as well. Why would the Wii U be any different? Now......................will sheep buy it?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 MFDOOM1983

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

The only thing a reputable source would do is use that neogaf thread as a source. Keep denying something so minor. I'm trying to make a point, but you're in complete denial about anything positive for the Wii-U. Also important to remember what Nintendo screwed up the early SDKs, which was a huge, well-known issue.

We aren't talking about the Wii and I don't remember saying that. Quite hypocritical of you to go off-topic (again.)

Funny Gearbox says that, cause it ended up getting the definitive version of A:CM. That quote was also said before the final specs were even out (it even says so on that page,) but no one is denying it's an inbetween console. 4A devs are disappointed with the Espresso but never denied it couldn't run anything. They just didn't have the resources for it. All the Tekken dev said is that the clock was kinda low, and if Marcan is correct than it is kinda low. His team is also helping work on SSB, so his opinion will probably change. Your AC3 quote was talking about the quality of the game, not the hardware. Dynasty Warrior lead said the CPU was a challenge and the FPS was suffering, but then goes on to say that it's a challenge to overcome, not that it's impossible to fix. If you want some insight as to why the early ports had issues you can check out this thread. (IIRC this guy is a programmer but doesn't work on games, at least not Nintendo platforms.) I think the people who spent their own money just to get die shots for everyone would know something. DF doesn't even know everything contained on the chips. We can't figure it out and only one dev is willing to give hints at what it can do. (which you refuse to acknowledge their credentials.)

Ubisoft gave PC gamers a different version of GRAW and completely removed their DRM in favor of a much better, cross-platform alternative. PC isn't their largest market, so why would PC still be lead?

Nope, sites like digital foundry do not use neogaf as a source for their findings. All of their testing is done with their own equipment and I know that the can be trusted on involving technical analysis. Random posters I don't know, not so much.

I'm pointing out the similarities between the conversations had with wii and are having about wii-u, now. It was merely a quip. You bringing up launch titles or AC4 is off-topic. I don't need to "acknowledge" issues about launch ports when we're arguing over the validity of your claim. 'Wii-U has the best console version of Origins.'

Gearbox - A:CM never came to wii-u. Definitive imaginary version?

4A Games - Not relevant to what was said. We have multiple devs saying the same thing about Wii-U's cpu being inferior to CPUs found on 360/PS3. Which explains the why games chug on wii-u during CPU intensive scenes.

Tekken - Evidence building about wii-u's CPU. Working on SSB doesn't change the clock-speed, so, no, his opinion wont be changing because it was a factual statement, not opinion based.

AC3 - "Wii U "stronger in some areas" than 360, PS3" Given the context you provided. His statement wouldn't make sense. "Stronger in some areas, but the game will technically be identical, including framerate." Bolded the important part. (Hardware is) stronger in some areas, but the game will be technically identical across all three platforms. Software is stronger in some areas? Sense, it makes none. hehehe

Dynasty Warriors - Once again, this is evidence building about wii-u's hardware capabilities. Specifically, the CPU.

We have multiple devs working on games for the HD twins and Wii-U, and they all have an issue regarding Wii-U's CPU. Better GPU, worse CPU. As you have said, we know Wii-U is a stop-gap, tweener, in-between gens console. The question is by how much? Judging by the games released thus far, not much. So consider me skeptical when a dev that only works with Nintendo hardware suggests that the Wii-U is considerably more powerful.

Um, PC gamers loathe u-play(performance hits, not being able to access games, additional steps to launch software, etc.) and the fact you had to back to the year, 2006, speaks volumes about how much love Ubi has shown PC gamers in recent memory.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

The gap between the wii eww and the 360 and ps3 is less than the gap between the ps2 and xbox/gamecube.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#115 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

I already have a PS3/XBOX360........

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 MFDOOM1983

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@ChubbyGuy40: I hope sheep don't plan to use the lazy dev dc this entire generation. When every Wii-u game from 3rd parties is trading blows with its last gen counterparts, then the issue has more to do with the hardware itself rather than lazy devs, imo. Historically speaking Ubisoft titles have been rather poor on PC, but what exactly does this have to do with a console? Especially, when you factor in that Ubi has been Wii-U's biggest 3rd party supporter.

Wii U is pretty much in-between - it's neither of them, not current-gen, maybe closer to current-gen than next-gen.

Credit Watch Dog Dev

Doesn't sound like a significantly more powerful console.

Nintendo's take on indie games seems quite similar to 3rd party titles. They talk a big game about how much support they're giving them, then become silent and support seemingly drys up. Fool me onece shame on you, Nintendo...

Historically, Ubisoft's titles have been riddled with DRM. Everything else for the PC version was fine, and sometimes they even went the extra mile and got a totally different game developed (GRAW and GRAW 2.) The point is that Ubisoft sometimes doesn't show the same support for platforms that aren't the PS3/360. We can even look at Batman Arkham City vs Arkham Origins. City was ported by WB Montreal and had some (very fixable) issues, but Origins was done by an outside team (Human Head) and is actually the best console version, definitive even if you ignore PC's visuals and multiplayer that no one cares about. Hardware ain't magical like you think it is.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Downplaying or ignoring positives said about Wii-U in favor of the comments that paint a negative picture. We could pull up multiple comments by Shin'en but since they're so "obviously Nintendo-biased" it wouldn't matter. Nintendo has done their part to give a ton of support to indies, from free Wii-U Unity Pro to direct access to upload their content to the eShop, but don't expect every single dev to run to every platform they can digitally publish on especially when it doesn't have a large audience right now. 3DS's eShop was barren until it took off, the same will likely happen for Wii-U once devs see it as a financially viable platform. It's simple stuff, but it can't be changed overnight like you expect.

Between all four platforms, the main point of difference comes down to the way the artwork is handled on each system, particularly where streaming is concerned. A look at our captures reveal that assets are loaded in more quickly on the 360, followed by the PS3 and then the Wii U, with lower-quality artwork left on screen for longer on Nintendo's system. There are also a few cases where lower-resolution art is deployed on the PS3 and Wii U on a permanent basis, but thankfully this is only appears to be apparent on some minor background objects and thus doesn't stick out too noticeably when playing the game.

The situation is considerably worse on the Wii U. On the plus side, screen-tearing is completely eliminated due to the inclusion of a locked v-synced presentation, but disappointingly the result of this is a frame-rate that fluctuates somewhere in the mid-twenties on a regular basis, producing constant judder and a serious reduction in the responsiveness of the controls. The number of enemies and the inclusion of a weaker CPU seems to be the cause for this on Nintendo's system - perhaps the console simply can't keep up with handling all of the AI and physics routines under load. The result is that gameplay is heavily compromised to the point where we found the experience far less enjoyable as a result. At times the PS3 version suffers to a similar degree, but this happens far less frequently compared to the Nintendo platform.

Credit Digital Foundry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-arkham-origins-face-off

Not even close.