As this generation is coming to an end do you think last gen was better?

• 53 results
Posted by warmblur (2794 posts) 10 days, 4 hours ago

Poll: As this generation is coming to an end do you think last gen was better? (66 votes)

Yes 45%
No 55%

What do you think was a better generation and why?

For me I liked the last gen much better but that's not to say this gen didn't have great games. I just think the lack of new ip's and corporate greed really hurt this generation overall.

#1 Posted by Ant_17 (12729 posts) -

No. This gen was better.

#2 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10284 posts) -

Last gen was worse IMO. This gen major problem is most of games are either open world or have RPG elements or battleroyale. But come on, last gen was full of cod clones, most of games were dumbed down, SP were feel like taked on and so fourth.

#3 Posted by xantufrog (11611 posts) -

No. For me, last gen was borderline forgettable, with the exception of a few gems.

#4 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (195 posts) -

Last Gen didn't have the vast majority of Xbox/PS4 games coming to the PC and other platforms, so from a solo console value standpoint, Last gen was probably better.

Now Nintendo...this generation could have been better if they didn't pretend their beta test for the Switch, (AKA the Wii U), wasn't a new console. But that's just my opinion.

#5 Posted by getyeryayasout (12390 posts) -

I don't remember as many lulls between interesting games last gen.

#6 Posted by judaspete (3070 posts) -

I prefered last gen. Wider variety in the AAA space, there were still some great AA games from mid-tier developers, and you couldn't take two steps without tripping over an arcade racer. Plus, all systems were backwards compatible in some form, had hundreds of classic games available digitally, the indy scene took off, and microtransactions didn't get out of hand until late in the cycle.

Not to say this gen is bad. Indy games have really come into their own, and open world games are better than ever on the AAA side. There are even free-to-play games that are actually worth playing nowadays.

#7 Posted by robert_sparkes (3232 posts) -

I think this generation is better mostly as PS4 has pushed it to another level. Nintendo definitely has had a part to play with the switch.

#8 Posted by uninspiredcup (34354 posts) -

Most of the games I've ended up playing aren't from this gen. Aside from a few select titles like Resident Evil 2, no good-golly must have, wow wow wee mind-blowing stuff.

#9 Posted by ProtossRushX (5629 posts) -

PS4 is much better than PS3

Xbox 360 > Xbone

Switch > Wii

only one brand took a giant step back

#11 Posted by ButDuuude (1394 posts) -

^ This

#12 Edited by warmblur (2794 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

Last gen was worse IMO. This gen major problem is most of games are either open world or have RPG elements or battleroyale. But come on, last gen was full of cod clones, most of games were dumbed down, SP were feel like taked on and so fourth.

That's true but it never really completely ended also don't forget we had F.E.A.R., Crysis and you're favorite Stalker last generation.

@ProtossRushX: I agree PS4 is better then PS3 but I'm mostly talking about the games in general.

#13 Posted by Jag85 (13596 posts) -

No. This gen was definitely an improvement over Gen 7. But of course, Gen 6 was better than both the generations that came after.

#14 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10284 posts) -

@warmblur: apart from Stalker. DOOM and soon to be Doom Eternal definitely better than any of last gen games.

#15 Posted by Archangel3371 (28396 posts) -

I feel that each generation tends to be better then the last and for me this one is no different. While there have been some not so good things happen this gen overall I found it better then the previous one.

#16 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5150 posts) -

@warmblur:

Overall? No. This gen was way better. Better graphics, better remakes, better games in general.

Fallout 4 > Fallout 3

Doom 4 > Doom 3 BFG

Halo 5 > Halo 4 (mp wise)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider > Tomb Raider 2013

Resident Evil 2 Remake > Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 7 > Resident Evil 6

Final Fantasy XV > Final Fantasy XIII

God of War 4 > God of War 3

Red Dead Redemption 2 > Red Dead Redemption 1

#17 Edited by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

No. This gen was better.

But really, this gen was hella lot better then last-gen. No joke and lots of good games this gen then last-gen. And to top it off, this gen was so good for PC gaming, last-gen was really worst for PC.

#18 Edited by Jag85 (13596 posts) -

Early 21st century:

Gen 6 > Gen 8 > Gen 7

#19 Posted by dimebag667 (1261 posts) -

Last gen was way better! I don't think one generation has disappointed me so many times like this one has. Between immensely disappointing games like destiny, fallout 4, red dead 2...to depressingly great things like P.T. being cancelled.

Not to mention all the crap that blossomed in this era; mtx overload, loot boxes, battle Royale, twitch streamers, inclusion of unnecessary rpg or moba elements, f#@king fortnite and it's dumb f@&k dancing!!!

I will look back on this gen with basically zero fondness.

#20 Posted by lebanese_boy (15088 posts) -

Nah gaming was far better, convenient and enjoyable this gen.

#21 Edited by Renegade_Fury (20633 posts) -

While I do like the X360 and Wii much more than than the Xbox One, Wii U, and Switch, overall, I prefer this gen. There are far more games this time around that I'm willing to call all-time favorites as opposed to a couple of standouts from gen 7.

#22 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19156 posts) -

If I think about my favourite games of all time, there are more from this gen than last gen... so I say this gen was better overall I guess.

But then again, the whole console "generation" thing is becoming more and more irrelevant.

#23 Edited by warmblur (2794 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@warmblur:

Overall? No. This gen was way better. Better graphics, better remakes, better games in general.

Fallout 4 > Fallout 3 yes

Doom 4 > Doom 3 BFG yes

Halo 5 > Halo 4 (mp wise) -never played Halo

Shadow of the Tomb Raider > Tomb Raider 2013 don't agree on this

Resident Evil 2 Remake > Resident Evil 6 yes

Resident Evil 7 > Resident Evil 6 Barely RE7 is a bit overrated IMO

Final Fantasy XV > Final Fantasy XIII not into FF

God of War 4 > God of War 3 can't say didn't play GOW3 but GOW4 was really good

Red Dead Redemption 2 > Red Dead Redemption 1 can't say only played a little of the RDR but yeah 2 was great

Agree with most of those here's my list why I prefer last gen but still not to say this gen is garbage just expected more new Ip's. Here's my list of favorite games of last gen and why I think it's a better gen but hey it's just opinion right.

Max Payne 3

Sleeping Dogs > better then any Watch Dogs game

Spec Ops: the Line

Far Cry 3 > Far Cry 4

GTAV > RDR2

The Last of Us

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Battlefield Bad Company 2 >BF 4> BF1> BF5

GTA 4 and the great SP DLC's

F.E.A.R.

Crysis

Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Bioshock games

Deus EX: Human Revolution > ManKind Divided

Tomb Raider 2013 for me it's better then Rise and Shadow

Saint Row 3 and 4 >Agents of Mayhem

Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect: Andromeda

Assassin's Creed 2 > to every next gen Assassin's Creed game

Batman Arkham City> Batman: Arkham Knight

L.A Noire

Portal series

Mortal Kombat 9 > Mortal Kombat 10

Alan Wake > Quantum Break

Mirror's Edge >Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Dead Space, Dead Space 2, 3 sucked yup.

#24 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10284 posts) -

@warmblur: GTA 5 is not even better than RDR1 let alone RDR2 which looks better in every way.

Doom >> Any game last gen bot named STALKER

RE7 >> RE5 & 6

Hitman >> Hitman Absolution

Prey >> BioShock

Titanfall 2>> CODMW

Metro Exodus >> Far cry 3

#25 Posted by lundy86_4 (53622 posts) -

Overall, I think this gen was better, but I think I enjoyed last-gen more.

#26 Posted by Subspecies (674 posts) -

I can understand lems thinking this gen is worse, because, well, this gen just flat out sucks for lems. MS is a joke these days, and yeah, they've had a horrible gen.

But for cows? Sheep? It's been great.

#27 Edited by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

@subspecies said:

I can understand lems thinking this gen is worse, because, well, this gen just flat out sucks for lems. MS is a joke these days, and yeah, they've had a horrible gen.

But for cows? Sheep? It's been great.

And Hermits if I might add😉

#28 Edited by warmblur (2794 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

@warmblur: GTA 5 is not even better than RDR1 let alone RDR2 which looks better in every way.

Doom >> Any game last gen bot named STALKER

RE7 >> RE5 & 6

Hitman >> Hitman Absolution

Prey >> BioShock

Titanfall 2>> CODMW

Metro Exodus >> Far cry 3

I actually played RDR2 though.GTAV is fun and doesn't feel like such a chore like RDR2 at times but RDR2 is more impressive on a tech level both are great games but GTAV is better .

#29 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5150 posts) -

@warmblur:

I guess I mostly preferred Shadow of the Tomb Raider over 2013 because of my love for the original TR games. TR 2013 was an interesting take but it felt too streamlined. The treasures were too easy to find and the tombs were tiny with simplistic puzzles. It mostly served better as an action game but it was a crappy Tomb Raider.

#30 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5315 posts) -

I voted yes.

Games yes

consoles and tech no.

Games are what matters though, so yeah.

#31 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@warmblur:

I guess I mostly preferred Shadow of the Tomb Raider over 2013 because of my love for the original TR games. TR 2013 was an interesting take but it felt too streamlined. The treasures were too easy to find and the tombs were tiny with simplistic puzzles. It mostly served better as an action game but it was a crappy Tomb Raider.

I also love Shadow of the Tomb Raider more so then Tomb Raider 2013. The best things I love about these reboot Tomb Raider games is that Lara uses Bow/Arrow and I always enjoy silent kills hiding in the shadows.

#32 Posted by Heirren (2224 posts) -

Its usually all relative to how old the person is or how into the scene any given person is. I say age lightly because while i dont game much anymore, i live near a comic book store that sells game stuff as well and it has its own little community of people that play pokemon and card games and all that stuff. The ages are all over the map

#33 Posted by warmblur (2794 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom said:

I voted yes.

Games yes

consoles and tech no.

Games are what matters though, so yeah.

Exactly

#34 Posted by Sevenizz (4018 posts) -

I’m more of a fan of two generations ago than this or last. Xbox in particular being the standout console and my all time favourite.

#35 Posted by Sevenizz (4018 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: There are 3 stand alone BR ganes of note. PUBG, Fortnite, and Apex. CoD and BF have BR modes, but still offer what many players view as the norm of said franchises.

Where’s this onslaught you claim? If anything, the genre is the least represented of them all. Where’s your issue when the genre is the least represented?

#36 Posted by DoomNukem3D (366 posts) -

I misunderstood and thought you meant this year compared to last year.

#37 Edited by freedomfreak (51239 posts) -

Easily.

#38 Edited by my_user_name (14 posts) -

This gen was disappointing. I'll take last gen easy.

Games as a service + mtx for one thing. Movie games. Open world games all pretty much following the Ubi formula. No or limited entries in lots of great franchises. Hardly any good new IPs.

People want to talk about indies, but in my experience they're the same thing we played 20+ years ago with a new coat of paint.

Fewer (non-indie) games on the whole for example....

Insomniac released 3 Resistance games and a shit ton of Ratchet games last gen. So far they've released 3 games. Rockstar released several games last gen, this gen they rereleased GTA5 and RDR2. Now they'll probably just milk RDR2 for a few years, until GTA6 and then milk that for a decade.

Vr is the one thing this gen has that last gen doesn't. Which only matters to a small percentage of people at this time.

#39 Posted by Coolyfett (6055 posts) -

Generation 7 made a lot of changes to gaming standards. HDTVs, Online gaming, gaming accounts, achievement\trophies & a lot of 3rd party support.

Generation 8 was Gen 7 with more players, better graphics & cross play. F2P games and VR grew a lot during Generation 8. Smart phones killed the hand held market except for Nintendo who has totally left the console space. Console edge closer to a PC type hardware.

#40 Posted by avenger85 (247 posts) -

Last gen was a lot better. I don’t know what it was about this gen but it felt weak... there was a few amazing games but over all it felt lackluster.

#41 Posted by Seabas989 (13259 posts) -

They are almost equal to me. I would say this gen had better indie and downloadable games than last gen. Also Japanese devs overall improved this gen. However, I also think the PS3 > PS4 but not by a whole lot. Last gen was also longer and was the last golden era of handheld gaming (DS and PSP).

#42 Posted by TJDMHEM (1994 posts) -

yes because of the good games.

#43 Posted by Juub1990 (8672 posts) -

Jesus Christ the recency bias.

What did this get bring again?

#44 Posted by jg4xchamp (61726 posts) -

No. Push.

This gen's lineup of games probably stacks up favorably, if not better. The indie scene alone is like dumb loaded.

#45 Edited by AJStyles (1023 posts) -

Video games get better every gen. This gen is better than last gen. Fact.

#46 Posted by KillzoneSnake (2469 posts) -

This gen was mostly remastering remaking old games. Very few new games worth mentioning. 2019 was terrible... Days Gone no big deal, best game Resident Evil 2 Remake. What a horrible year look at Wolfenstein Young Blood, Anthem loooooool

#47 Edited by PAL360 (29604 posts) -

This gen was much better to me.

To be honest, thanks indies and VR, this has probably been my favourite generation so far.

#48 Posted by robert_sparkes (3232 posts) -

This year is definitely weaker than last but overall the quality has been better than last gen.

#49 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10399 posts) -

Since the Ps2 era, every new gen is worse than the one before it. Devs take less risks, everyone is chasing the current trend and immoral business practices spread more and more among and into games. Sure there are a few AAA games that aren't sequels and/or infested with Microtransactions, but they became a minority. At least indies create an antipole to that. At least this gen brought us VR and the Switch, at least two things that feel fresh.

#50 Edited by KungfuKitten (26738 posts) -

Pit this generation's top hitters against last generation's. Just look at Nintendo, Capcom. This gen is better and this gen is not over yet. So many promising games coming out this year and next.