As someone who loves Mario, and has played his games since I was a toddler...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

I can say that while it has a very trippy art direction, and some of the most creative level design I've seen in years, Super Mario Galaxy does not have good graphics.

This game has SO MUCH going for it, it looks really really fun and trippy, but can we just let the graphics go?

If sheep concentrate on the graphics of this game, they're missing the more important, bigger picture!

Son_of_Some

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Son_of_Some
Member since 2006 • 1458 Posts
Well, I've seen a couple of quite horrible screenshots of it. BUT just like in MP3, the art direction makes this game really beautiful and great looking. I say it has awesome graphics.
parksits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 parksits
Member since 2005 • 1037 Posts
....?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Why doesnt it have good graphics.

I sincerely hope that your argument does not revolve around it being not HD and low poly relative to a PS3 or a 360, because if thats the case, even the 360 and PS3 dont have good graphics compared to the PC.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You want Crysis level realism in a game designed to look like a cartoon? Huh?

SMG looks fantastic... quit comparing Wii games to the standards of PS3/360 games... maybe I should start comparing PS3/360 games to new PC games...
Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Why doesnt it have good graphics.

I sincerely hope that your argument does not revolve around it being not HD and low poly relative to a PS3 or a 360, because if thats the case, even the 360 and PS3 dont have good graphics compared to the PC.

XaosII

I merely mean to take the focus away from graphics.

For a Wii game, they are good, but only because of the art style.

People should be focusing on the fact that this is going to be the new SM64, and not how good the graphics are.

Its like Gears of War, the game was amazing in every way, but people mainly just focused on the graphics. I know people who were turned off by that, and who thought the game was just about graphics.

And it goes against Nintendo's philosophy; games are for playing, not for watching.

justdog11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 justdog11
Member since 2004 • 3524 Posts
you seem so rediculously threatened that a Wii game can have impressive visuals. Its art direction combined with a team within the company that made the console creates a stunning galaxy. Get over it, we still think PS3 and 360 are cool too.
y2kzorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 y2kzorak
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

I can say that while it has a very trippy art direction, and some of the most creative level design I've seen in years, Super Mario Galaxy does not have good graphics.

This game has SO MUCH going for it, it looks really really fun and trippy, but can we just let the graphics go?

If sheep concentrate on the graphics of this game, they're missing the more important, bigger picture!

Big_Red_Button

Seriously, what constitutes good graphics? Is it realism? Is it an ultra-bright color palete? Is it cell-shading? Is it sprites? Is it volumetric lighting and particle effects? Is it million-polygon character models?

... Or is it just a matter of opinion?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I merely mean to take the focus away from graphics.

For a Wii game, they are good, but only because of the art style.

People should be focusing on the fact that this is going to be the new SM64, and not how good the graphics are.

Its like Gears of War, the game was amazing in every way, but people mainly just focused on the graphics. I know people who were turned off by that, and who thought the game was just about graphics.

And it goes against Nintendo's philosophy; games are for playing, not for watching.

Big_Red_Button

Uhh... Gears was a buggy mess of a game that relied on its graphics to provide its success. The only reason it did so well was because it was the first major game to use the UE3.

Mario Galaxy looks fantastic. Stop blinding yourself with false standards that make you think it doesn't.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
There good enough.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
The game looks great. And what do you mean by the bigger picture? Gameplay? It beats any Mario platformer before it IMO. The gravity feature is going to add so much. The only thing it's missing is the revolutionary feel Mario 64 had.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

I really hate when someone lists their gaming history as if they are about to share a valid opinion, but then when you read the post it's the same old lame argument. And this one even assumes that those of us who are looking forward to SMG only care about the graphics.

Listen, the game looks spectacular. And I'm not even going to say for a Wii game. Artistically it's one of the best looking games this generation. However, the look of the game dwarfs in comparison to how excited we Wii owners are about the gameplay. It looks like a return to the roots that were planted by Super Mario 64...only in space. How can we not be interested in that?